Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Chart Line width default value

I would like to be able to change the 'default' line width for graphs. the 2.25 values is too thick

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. In graphs data table allow users to select which rows to display

I want to use a combo chart (line and bar) and display the table data below. I have two vertical axis - one for bar and one for line. I only want to display the table data for the bar portion of the graph. It does not seem possible to adjust this at the moment. The visual becomes overwhelming with too large of a table below, but select rows seem to add value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Use conditions to govern the colour of chart lines and bars

Setting a target within chart formatting so that if a data set is above it can be say green and if below is could be red. The choice of colour and the target need to be the users.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Box and Whisker - Data labels for quartile lines and mean data points

Please add a feature to allow the user to toggle data point labels for the following points on the Excel box and whisker plots:

- Minimum value line
    - First quartile line
    - Median line
    - Third quartile line
    - Maximum value line
    - Mean marker point

Each should be individually selectable for each box and whisker plot.

This will make it easier to present box plots to people who do not know how to read them and for data quality checks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Be able to colour number of cells specified in a cell.

Eg: I have some numbers on column A and respective number of cells are coloured in column B as in the attached file

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Improve chart refreshing and interface with Access

Ideally, Access should have as good charting available as Excel, and they should both work the same. But despite recent improvements in Access charts, there are some things that it cannot do. I was able to easily link an Excel chart to an Access report, but the problem is that in a typical Access report the chart needs to use different data on each grouping on the report, and I've been unable to find a way to refresh the data and the chart in the linked spreadsheet / chart.

I've tried a different approach, using VBA code to manipulate an…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Colored Chart Legends Automatically

The color of chart legends should match chart items by default. Matching colors makes charts easy to understand and visually appealing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. expand the limits of legend

Expand the limits of the legend for Maps. Right now cannot see more than 20, would like at least 50

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Customize Graph Y-Axis Label

Add in customize y-axis label options for graph. We wanted to do a project S-curve, but we don't want Y-axis to represent as project progress percentage (0-100%) instead we would want the Y-axis to be as project stage label (DR1, DP1 etc.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. change y-axis to temperature

I need to be able to take a tbale that has the degree sign and F in it and graph it without taking the degree sign and F out of every single cell

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Conditional Formatting for Graphs

The graph fill colours should be controllable by conditional formatting so that positive/negative can be green/red or "if below certain value/cell-value". If easier don't make it so that the format is relevant to the graph do it so that it is formula driven only on external cell references.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Improvements for Power Maps/3D Maps

As a non-GIS person, I have found that Power Maps/3D Maps is a fairly useful feature that lets me build maps. That said, I have definitely noticed some areas that could be improved.

1. Annotation Position: These are great for displaying information on the map. That said, if you have points on the map that are close by, the annotations overlap and there is nothing you can do. At the moment, you only can choose whether to put the annotation to the left or the right and the annotation is always below the point in question. An easy improvement would…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Horizontal Box and Whisker Plots

Schools use box and whisker plots horizontally. As of current I have only seen Excel do them vertically. This is extremely frustrating.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. histogram bins and bin widths

When making a histogram, you can either specify Bin Width or Number of Bins, but not both. You should be able to do both!!! Especially if you have to create multiple histograms to compare to one another. If the data is slightly different, excel is going to format them both differently and then you are unable to properly compare them.
    Also, if you try to create a histogram using the Data Analysis Tool Pack, it spaces out the bars making this a bar graph, NOT a histogram.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Labeling Plot Axes by Default

If columns of data have headers, labeling the appropriate axes with the headers would be very helpful. Axes without labels are pretty useless a lot of the time and the extra steps currently involved in labeling the axes are unnecessarily time-consuming.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. With Map Charts, Please Add Leader Lines So That You Can See the Data Labels In Small Geographic Areas

With Map Charts, I cannot see the data labels in small geographic areas. Can you please make them "editable" so that I can move/ resize them and/or add leader lines to the data labels so that the values can be properly displayed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Support 'change chart type' for multiple charts at once

Currently updating multiple charts to a fixed format, requires to separately update the chart format through the 'change chart type' functionality. It would be helpful if this sequential process can be replaced by one single action applied to a selection of charts (when multiple are selected).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. In charts, create an option to align the 'zero' points of primary and secondary y-axes.

When charting to quite different datasets on a combo graph, there doesn't seem to be a way to force the 'zero' points of each y axis to align without weird hacks involving creating extra data series. For example, with revenue and costs on the left axis and margin % on the right axis, it becomes misleading when the vertical alignment of $0 isn't the same as 0%

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bring back functionality in your charts

This is less user friendly than swallowing an ant hill. Make this user friendly so that I don't have to go take a semester course to make a chart just to have you people make it obsolete in the next update.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base