Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Custom tool tips for charts

I would like to have custom tool tips for a chart. I have hidden the x axis labels and added some data labels and would like the tool top to display the data label text instead of the x axis label text. I have exported the chart from a vb.net winform app but have been told that this currently isn't possible and advised to post on here!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good feedback. We’ll consider this in our next round of planning. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

2. List all charts and their series in a Task Pane with quick search for easier navigation

Big Excel files with lots of sheets are hard to navigate. Excel could do with a tree view task pane with a search box showing each charts' sheet name, its title and the series it contains. Then you could click on a series and go directly to that chart. Maybe it could also show (if so chosen by the user) a thumbnail of each chart. It doesn't need to be a live rendering of the chart to be useful. Right clicking on each series would also reveal a menu with options like: go to the X values range, go to…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

3. Add an offset to ticklabels

For example, if I have years on an axis but my data start from some arbitrary date that isn't the first of Jan, I generally would still want the date labels (especially when only displaying years) to only show on each 1st of Jan. So if my data start from 3 Dec, I would like to offset the start of the ticklabels to only start 28 days later.

This applies equally for numerical axes ticklabels. Sometimes my I want to display at data range starting from say 7.35 and I want my my tick marks to increment by 0.5. It…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Cannot open files saved after assigning graph series values names that use structured references

Since graphs series cannot contain formulas, if you want to make a graph dynamic, you must use a name (in the Name Manager sense) that contains a formula that determines the dynamic range.

However, if that name uses structured references, then when you save and reopen the file, Excel will crash and the workbook will be unusable to Excel.

To see what I mean, download this workbook:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/a2681miflhdjxep/Graph_Crash.xlsb
    Right-click on the graph and go Select Data. Edit Series1 and change its series values to read "=s!y" (without quotes). Save, close, reopen, crash.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a Normal Probability Axis Option to Scatter Charts

A normal probability axis, including cumulative probability option, would be wonderful. Have the option to format the axis labels as decimal, percent, or 1/p. Currently we have to add many series to represent gridlines, add text boxes for axis values, and get new series values using NORMSINV to chart on a probability scale.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enable Vari-wide / MariMekko charts

Hi, I use Vari-wide or Marimekko charts quite frequently and find this to be a major pain in Excel. There are ways to work this in using Area charts and additional rows and formulas for formatting, but it takes a while. Further, it often doesn't allow a linear chart based on my values unless I change the axis to dates, and cheat the formatting to show non date numbers...

It would be great if this could be built in, or at least be made easier (by not having to change the x-axis to dates)

(2015-11-05 Dan [MS] recategorized to Charting)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Could you also further comment on the specific features of a MariMekko chart that you would like to see?

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

7. Charts - Decomposition Trees

Please add Decomposition Trees as a standard chart type : http://bit.ly/1GLL4hH

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

8. Option to automatically resize a pivot chart to show all labels as slicers change

Pivot Chart option to auto resize to show all labels as slicers change the data

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. "Comment" window double as container for Chart or visual data Analytics object

The cell 'comments' window should double as a container for 'simple? ' visual data analytics objects, charts, or BI visuals. For example if I had a column or row of numbers
    row 1 - 3, 5, 6, 7
    row 2 - 4, 6, 9,10
    I would like to click in an area in either of the last numbers of either ranged row of numbers and a pop-up visual chart view of the data would appear. Chart Labels could be created in the Data Validation window just as lists are made.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature request which will increase its likelihood of getting in the product.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

10. Allow dynamic selection of data callouts/labels

I'd like to be able to say, for example, "show the label for the 2nd to last item in the series".

Many of the dashboards I see/create pull in data on refresh and this would allow one to create better visuals that require less futzing are refresh.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Interesting idea. Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in our next round of planning for a future release. Please continue to vote on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

11. Chart alignment

Make it possible to select the chart x-axis to auto align or always align to zero or always zoom only on the data somewhere in the y axis.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. adding picture to excel spreadsheet

adding graphs from other sites that would usually fit in a word document to an excel document. Or the ability to attach a word tab to an excel document.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Intelligent Chart Axis Numberformat Would Eat Decimal Points

Charts default the numberformat for the axis to the numberformat of the first series. It would be better design (easier for the reader to understand) if the default minimized the number of decimal places. For example, if the y-values are between 2 and 8, I might show 2 or 3 decimal places in the raw data--but I want the chart axis to show whole numbers. I think of this as the chart axis should eat the decimal places where possible. That would be how a professional designer would build the chart, and it should also be the way the Excel…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Please add a "number of decimal places" box to the graph interface

Add a "number of decimal places" selection box under Graph > Axis Options > Number > Decimal places.
    Currently one must select the current number then type over it with the new number of decimal places desired, then click outside the dialog box. Far easier to simply bump the number of decimal places up or down by clicking with a mouse.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. banded chart area for gridlines

Current gridlines are only lines. Please add the option to format the chart area with alternating bands (similar to table formatting) on the horizontal or vertical axes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow chart labels to have an interval of greater than 255

I am plotting 1 second data over 24 hours, see jpg attached. I can put a tick mark using intervals of anything up to 31999, so 3600 is every hour. However the label interval limit is 255, which makes for really messy and hard to read formatting of the x-axis. Please allow for spacing of labels at greater intervals to match the tick mark spacing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Change go to box width

When using the go to box (opened after using F5 command or trace dependents) the list of linked cells is not wide enough. The navigation would be easier if we could see the complete address.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. magnify graph Mechanism

It would be great if Microsoft would create an excel mechanism allowing me to magnify a portion of a chart so I can quickly view small segments of data without having to edit data range.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Graph Data Labels Disappearing when Filtered

Good Morning,
    Below is a post I put into the Microsoft Community Page on an Issue I am having with graphing. The Moderator was able to re-create the issue and told me to post here.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/db1ebc99-3e68-4aa2-aeb7-1903fa3d9909
    The issue is When you have a bar graph by month, and want to filter out older months, for every month you uncheck, you loose a data label in the later months on the graphs.
    I would like to see this issue fixed in a patch if possible. It would prevent me from going back to Excel13 to get my graphs printed each month. …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Time dependent chart area visualization

When creating graphs related to spans of time periods (e.g. data on weekly or monthly basis), it would be useful to instruct Excel not to show data if are in the future for specified data series.
    For example, if you want to show budget/target vs actual, a chart is much better to view if represents just the budget and dynamically shows the actual, rather than filling the chart areas of a set of zero points. Another scenario is when you want to show some time dependent data, like actual per week. If I want to show the data up to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base