Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Charts and graphs should auto align and snap when you're dragging them like autoshapes in PowerPoint do

. It would make it easier to align several charts or graphs in a spreadsheet.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Waterfall Chart improvement - Objects added to chart are "floating"

If objects are added to the chart - e.g. a text box, the text box should remain in the chart and not be a separate object that needs to be grouped together. This is applicable to the other newly introduced charts as well.

P.S. This is based on original thread "Waterfall Chart Improvement Suggestions". As requested by Admin, I am splitting each topic into separate ones.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Waterfall Chart improvement - Data label position is too restricted

Data Label position is restricted (not possible to have negative data labels to show above). add a choice for "always above" or at least be allowed to add a new series.

P.S This is based on original thread "Waterfall Chart Improvement Suggestions". As requested by Admin, I am splitting each topic into separate ones.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Waterfall Chart improvement - Additional series cannot be added

No other series can be added to the chart – Not Visible. This is useful to further customize the chart.

P.S. This is based on original thread "Waterfall Chart Improvement Suggestions". As requested by Admin, I am splitting each topic into separate ones.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide option to break bar in bar chart

Please provide an option to show broken bar in a bar chart when the underlying data has a very wide spread which is required to be plotted on the same chart. There are solutions available for doing this but they are just "innovative-fix" and very long. It would be of immense help if MS itself provides such a feature in Excel (all versions). Hope you understand what I mean..!!

Thanks

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enhance Map charts so more geographic details such as cities, latitude and longitudes, and street address data can be mapped

Enhance Map charts so more geographic details such as cities, latitude and longitudes, and street address data can be mapped

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Waterfall Chart improvement - Plot area can't be adjusted.

Plot area can't be adjusted. It's not possible to change this - only chart area can be changed. This is applicable to the other newly introduced charts as well.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide an option for multiple x-axes in xy-charts

Display of multiple data-sets in a single chart does not only require multiple y-axes, but often multiple x-axes as well. It would be of great help to have the option for at least 2 x-axes

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Combo Chart using primary and secondary axes

When i build a combo chart, some items are on primary axes and some on secondary because of different scales.

However, the labels are all mashed up into one giant box. It would be far better if the labels were shown on the same axes as the data series. It would make the chart much more self-explanatory.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you provide an example and steps for the problem that you are describing? Its not clear what you mean by “mashed up into one giant box.”

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

10. Provide IBCS-Charts

or buy ZebraBI (Add-In) www.zebrabi.com

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

By IBCS, I assume you are referring to “International Business Communication Standards”. Could you provide more detail on what you are specifically looking for? IBCS is pretty broad.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

11. spreadsheet-defined line art

Allow the user to generate a string, and have a "chart" that uses that string to place all kinds of line art elements in the chart. The string, in turn, is simply a logo-like representation of what gets drawn. As a result, a spreadsheet can be used to make a serviceable working drawing for simple applications.

At least in my concept, an example of this would includes strings:

"DefineArea(0,0,1000,300)pensize(0.2)Line(5,10,18,299)addnote("This is my line\I drew it right here\I notate with some text, with a leader appear",54,100)Write("This is a leaderless note",800,250)ellipse(10,10,100,100)line(100,100,150,150)toline(84,84)toline(92,92)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Data Graphics that will Display Excel Data

It would be super great to have the ability to insert a shape that will display data from the spreadsheet. I find myself using labels in charts and adding formulas to the labels, but I would like to be able to add any shape and add a formula to it to display data. I suppose this is somewhat like Visio, but after being in development with a major spreadsheet for several weeks I would really have appreciated having more flexibility.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Adding a few more options to histogram charts

I really like the new histogram chats, but I am missing a few options. One of them is adding an indicator for the mean, for example as a vertical dotted line. I am also hoping for a way to change how the horizontal axes is formatted.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hi/Low bar and column charts

Add an additional chart type that would allow the lower limit of the bar and column to be specified instead of assuming they start at the axis (i.e. zero).

Excel already has a chart along similar lines in the stock "Open, high, Low, Close" chart - and the 2nd and 3rd data fields can be blanked to give what is effectively a high/low chart - however these charts cannot be plotted horizontally as bars.

A high/low bar chart would allow easy creation of Gant charts and would also allow easy comparison between data sets that exhibit a range of data.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

15. restore 3-D rotation of graphs in excel

it is often useful to have line graphs that run vertically rather than horizontally. It is used to be easy to rotate a graph 90 degrees clockwise. Now the 3-D rotation function is present in all the relevant menus and toolbars, but it is grayed-out and does not function. How come? Is there a way to turn this back on?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

16. Can't align or distribute text boxes on charts in Excel 2016

I have spreadsheets that I have been using since August 2000. Now I can no longer align or distribute the text boxes on my charts that reference cells in my spreadsheet. The options are grayed out. This is a pain.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to select data on 3D Map by dragging over an area

Once data is charted on map drag the mouse over an area to select just the results in that area. Would be useful for CRM marketing campaigns etc.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Great feedback. Selection is an area we plan to improve with 3D charts. Please continue voting on this feature idea.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

18. In an xy scatter plot, allow a specification to an ordinal/nominal scale range that will create different series for each category

In an xy scatter plot, allow a specification to an ordinal/nominal scale range that will create different series for each category of the range. Some programs provide x*y=z plots in which the x and y are the axes and the z consists of categories the data are assigned to.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback. We’ll consider this in a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

19. Adjust line height with cell grouping

Cell Groups Help to hide lines and columns for several reasons. It is possible that a line takes lots of space due to line breaks in one or more cells. Even with automatic adjustments, the height of the line doesn't Change, when I hide the cells that a responsible for the height of the line.
    E.g. a line with lots of single line items contains a comment column that contains lots of multi-line items forcing the line to have an appropriate height. With grouping, I can hide the comment column, but the height of the line remains the same even…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Semi Average Regression Line

Hey
    I have to create a semi average regression line my school project . I have no idea how to create one on my own. Could you please put this line as one of the trendlines on excel?
    Much appreciated

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base