Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Time dependent chart area visualization

When creating graphs related to spans of time periods (e.g. data on weekly or monthly basis), it would be useful to instruct Excel not to show data if are in the future for specified data series.
    For example, if you want to show budget/target vs actual, a chart is much better to view if represents just the budget and dynamically shows the actual, rather than filling the chart areas of a set of zero points. Another scenario is when you want to show some time dependent data, like actual per week. If I want to show the data up to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. bring in stem and leaf data fo graphs

as a students excel is the most used application and we require stem and leaf data while presenting the tabular question in a ppt and asked to present it through the same method its very difficult to use other software like R just for this single reason.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Secondary Axis for Excel 365 (PC, iPad)

Currently Excel 365 does not support secondary axis (tried on iPad and wed browser on my laptop).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. clickable graph to drill down into data (like Tableau)

Sorry if this is a repeat, the search function on this site is.... sub-par.

As an extension of this suggestion: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/15348714-adding-comment-tool-tip-in-chart-to-various-ele

In addition to being able to assign hover/ mouse-over tips on graphs, it would be great if Excel could natively collect and expose information from graph selections to be used in VBA or maybe even in formulas (e.g. link to a cell, so that whatever point is selected on a graph then shows up in the cell and can drive other formula activity). This would allow workbook designers to natively create more interactive dashboards that control drill-down tables or…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Create Bell Curve

It would be nice if a Bell Curve could be generated with less than 30 steps from a support article.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Charts - Add Paste Formats to the right-click menu

Just discovered that there is a way of formatting charts by using paste format (thanks to Chandoo.org). (Fix the formats in one chart, copy, go to RIBBON paste-paste special, paste formats). It saved me hours worth of work adding trendlines to 80 separate charts and also frustrated me because of the hours I had wasted previously fixing formats one chart at a time. Please add paste format to the right-click menu.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Map of Michigan counties extends into Great Lakes

The county map for Michigan (and other Great Lake States) needs an update. Currently the county lines extend into the Great Lakes (see attached picture), making maps of counties unusable. The map barely looks like Michigan.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bring back the flight sim

Excel 98 had an awesome flight sim Easter egg, please put this back in, or let us know how to turn it on again ;)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add Smart Art Tool Ishikawa (Fishbone) Diagram

Create a smart art graphic to create an Ishikawa (a.k.a. Fishbone) Diagram. The attached file is from the ASQ website.
    http://asq.org/learn-about-quality/quality-tools.html

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Deletion of Selected Data Series from the Chart Legend (But Not from the Chart)

Prior to Excel 2016, it was possible to delete a data series from the chart legend without deleting the data series from the chart itself. (The user just double-clicked on the data series name in the legend, and then hit “delete”.) This legend editing feature is useful in charts which contain data series which are not the focus of the chart (for example, chart annotations which are plotted as a data series). Without this legend editing feature, the legend can become unwieldy. Please restore this legend editing feature to Excel.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make sure that data labels are not overlapping

Hi!

I often use some combination of vba, pitvottables and the Offset function to get automatically updating charts. The only problem that I continously have and cannot solve is that data labels for new data Points are overalapping so that they are impossible to read. Of course I know that I can adjust this manually with drag and drop. But I would definetely like a function that automatically separates the data labels for the last data Point so that they can be read. Googled it and many people are looking for the same function and no one seem to have…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Inserting elbows and not being able to keep the shape drives me crazy!

When inserting an elbow, one could hold the Ctrl key down and drag one end of the elbow to keep it from switching to the opposite shape. This is different from holding the Shift key down because it automatically switches to the opposite shape when you hold it down and drag one end of the elbow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Range Bar Chart in Excel

A Range Bar Chart is very useful for displaying change between 2 points in time

Please see my web post on this

http://www.excelnaccess.com/range-bar-chart/

I was able to produce this chart in Excel using some tricks. File is attached

I would love to see this Chart in Excel's arsenal. Please could you introduce this Chart in next Excel's version.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow Specification of Absolute Location of Chart Origin, Titles, and X & Y Axis Lengths

I often create multiple charts whose X axis and/or Y axis are the same. These charts are visually compared in reports and presentations. As it is now in Excel, it is very difficult to maintain size uniformity among multiple charts. I would like to be able to specify the absolute location of the chart origin on a page, the absolute X & Y axis lengths, and the absolute locations of the chart and axis titles. With this ability, all the charts would be the same size and all the plot areas and titles would be in the same location on…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve 3D charting in Excel

Enhance the capability of 3D plots in Excel by actually allowing users to specify the 3rd dimension in a 3D Excel chart (unlike current 3D charts in Excel such as 3D column charts) which are mainly aesthetic and don't have much significance in the 3rd axis. Also, allow such 3D charts to be rotated freely by the user, and best-fit surface-plot with corresponding equation to be used on such 3D plots, like the current trendline feature (with R^2 value and equation) available for 2D column charts in Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Additional features for Excel charts

Hello,
    I just wanted to make a couple of suggestions regarding the charts in Excel:
    1) I am occasionally making area charts in Excel and an option of making area angles "smooth" (similar to what Excel has for line charts) would come handy in many instances.
    2) I am also making bubble charts and found out that unfortunately they cannot be combined with other chart types.

Perhaps these could be considered for the next releases of Excel. This is for both Windows and Mac Excel.

Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. X-Axis of charts should not be truncated for Column/Bar and similar charts

Microsoft Excel automatically truncates the VALUE Axis or X-Axis of charts when the variance between the lowest and highest values of the DATA is less than 20%.

While this truncation is desirable for LINE charts where the purpose is to depict trends, this could be misleading for charts such as COLUMN charts or BAR charts where the main purpose is to show comparison among discrete categories.

Some illustrative pictures are given in the post below

http://www.excelnaccess.com/truncated-x-axis/

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Open different tabs of the same file in two Windows (for two monitors)

Open different Tabs of the same file in two Windows (for two monitors). Example: one Sheet with parameters, other sheets with calculation basing on the parameters. I really hate to switch between the tabs, and correcting and so. It is also easy to make mistakes....

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base