Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Alphabet/Numeric markers for lines in line/xy scatter graphs

The selection of markers for line/xy charts in Excel is limited and of the few markers available, some are not impactful. Many times a large number of lines need to be shown in a graph and the available markers are inadequate. It would be convenient if alphabets and numericals could be used as markers so that multiple lines can be depicted with better clarity. This is especially useful when graphs have to be in black and white, say for publications in journals, books, etc.
    In the attached example, I have done this using the picture option in the markers selection,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Overlay line chart on top of Waterfall

Combine waterfall and line chart to track Actuals (Waterfall) against Budget (Line)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. The data labels of Excel Reader Chart

Some data labels are shown in a single line and some are shown in multiple lines depending on the layout or the text length of the original data in a cell. But I want those data labels to be always shown in a single line. Adjusting the size of the chart itself makes other information in the file less-visible. I would like to keep the label as a single line texts, or it would be great if I can adjust individual labels or change its font as needed.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add data bar to sparkline

I was wanting to do a bar chart in a cell, but didn't see it in Sparklines.

It took me a while to realize what I wanted was a data bar and it was under conditional formatting.

Please add/integrate/move that feature into the Sparklines section of the ribbon. That's where I look when I want to add charts/graphs right in the cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Gauge chart

Add an easy way to insert a gauge chart, please. Google Docs did it. Just a few clicks and voilà. I attached an example

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow a chart's axis minimum (and maximum) to be set to the value in a cell

Pretty much as stated in the title above. e.g. I have a chart where the x-axis is a date and I'd ALWAYS like to see the past three months of data (no matter when I open the chart). So, setting the maximum to today() and minimum to today()-91 would go a long way to meeting this need.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Data series label

I would like a data series label. I am trying to plot text on a chart at a certain x, y position. For example, cell B2 contains the label such as “Sales”. I want to plot the label in B2 at an x axis position taken from cell C2 and a y axis position from cell D2. If I can put the text next to the data then I can hide the legend and free up space on the plot. In a plotting language I would write something like plot(text, x, y).

The article https://stackoverflow.com/questions/36611447/how-to-label-scatterplot-points-by-name describes how to do this.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Format Axis using cell values

I want to set the lowest value for the axis. So I should be able to select the "minimum value" and write "=$C$3" and the value is set to the first value found in the range. There should be no place, anywhere, where I can type a number that could not be expressed by naming a spreadsheet cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add multiple sheet selection for online Excel

Currently, I'm unable to select multiple sheet with online Excel to build my chart. Why not add this feature?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Waterfall chart improvement - differences between columns

Have ability to show a $ or % change automatically between columns in a waterfall chart. The user could select an option and XL will show lines and an arrow up or down that automatically calculates the difference. For example, you could select the first total and the second total that the waterfall explains and then XL will show an arrow that calculates either the dollar total and/or % change.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. New chart types for MS Excel.

Dear Microsoft Team,

I would like to suggest Microsoft the following MS-Excel improvement initiatives:

1. Adding to MS Excel a new chart type called "Network Chart" to easily and quickly plot appealing node-link diagrams, which can be synched with the Excel workbook data. It would require the user to provide the name of the nodes and the weight of the links between them. This new chart type would prevent users from relying on fee-based, complex, or unintegrated add-ins, online apps, software, or methods to produce network charts in / for Excel.

2. Adding to MS Excel a new chart type called "Word…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Interactive Stock Charts

It would be useful to have sliding date ranges with the option to zoom in/out.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Option to lock Color Filled Cells

I am working on schedules and I need to use quite a number of color fills. It's cumbersome to have to choose cells selectively (CTRL+Left Click) to fil them to avoid messing the non-work days cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Change individual gridline color in a graph

It is only possible to change the color of all the gridlines when creating a graph (line graph for example).

I want to be able to color individual horizontal or vertical gridlines within my graph to highlight/showcase an average or targeted number. I don't want to change all the graphical gridlines to the same color.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. transfer data into calendar view

my data are organized in columns : name, start date, end date
    I would like to click on Charts and see my data organized in yearly/monthly/weekly/daily calendar view (to have similar view as in outlook)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Geographical heat maps

An increasing number of people are turning to underfloor heating to heat their homes, and there are many reasons why underfloor heating has become more and more popular. However, you might be surprised to learn that underfloor heating has been a method used since Roman times. There are surely many advantages to installing underfloor heating in your home.

Directs heat evenly and over larger areas.

Underfloor heating ensures an even distribution of heat radiating directly from the floor. Compared to wall heaters, heat radiating upward from the floor is much more evenly distributed, which means you generally won't find hot…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. synchronize primary and secondary axis

In the age of AI, Excel should be intelligent enough in making needed calculations behind the scenes to synchronize primary and secondary axis scales. So, a checkbox kind of an option to let the users explicitly ask Excel for this behaviour when needed else fall back to default of not synchronizing between primary and secondary axis.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow vary color by point for different items in a series

Currently, if you have more than one series in a graph, you can not individually color each item in a series, they change as a whole. The synchronization is better in most cases, but the option to do otherwise should be implemented

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base