Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve the "Vary colors by point" option

The current version of the "Vary colors by point" option is of limited use and indeed contrary to accepted data visualization best practices, since it randomly assigns different colors to bars. The user should have the option to apply conditional color encoding by assigning colors based on some data, creating a color scale (ramp or categorical). As a practical example, a bar chart displaying population by country could use population density to generate a color ramp for bars or variation by category (continents).

26 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Intelligent Chart Axis Numberformat Would Eat Decimal Points

Charts default the numberformat for the axis to the numberformat of the first series. It would be better design (easier for the reader to understand) if the default minimized the number of decimal places. For example, if the y-values are between 2 and 8, I might show 2 or 3 decimal places in the raw data--but I want the chart axis to show whole numbers. I think of this as the chart axis should eat the decimal places where possible. That would be how a professional designer would build the chart, and it should also be the way the Excel…

8 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow chart labels to have an interval of greater than 255

I am plotting 1 second data over 24 hours, see jpg attached. I can put a tick mark using intervals of anything up to 31999, so 3600 is every hour. However the label interval limit is 255, which makes for really messy and hard to read formatting of the x-axis. Please allow for spacing of labels at greater intervals to match the tick mark spacing.

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Change go to box width

When using the go to box (opened after using F5 command or trace dependents) the list of linked cells is not wide enough. The navigation would be easier if we could see the complete address.

11 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Charting, Mapping and Visualizations  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add Non-Numeric measure support to Power View

Non-numeric measure is supported in PowerPivot. However, it isn't supported in Power View. Non-numeric measure will not show up in list of available fields in Power View.

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• magnify graph Mechanism

It would be great if Microsoft would create an excel mechanism allowing me to magnify a portion of a chart so I can quickly view small segments of data without having to edit data range.

4 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow customising chart colors

I was making a scatter chart. I wanted to change the colors of the entries (on the graph and in the legend). I went into Chart Tools > Design > Change Colors, but it only gave me options, and did not let me choose my own colors. None of the colors were what I wanted, so my only way to change it is to overlap each dot with a oval from Insert > Shapes. By the way, I have more than 6 entries in the Legend, but I don't want #7 to be a darker or lighter version of #1,…

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Creation of custom regions within Excel for 3D Maps by post code

A tool within the application to create custom regions in 3D Maps by entering/selecting a list of postcodes/postcode sectors. This will be very valuable to businesses with their own defined services areas not covered by conventional county/other boundaries.

Currently we can highlight areas via postcode, but not group them together to show different regions comprised of many postcodes.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add ability to use cell references or formulas in all chart format options

When creating a number of related charts, it's often useful to set the minima and maxima of the chart axes to the same values on all charts. Currently, if the min/max you wish to show changes because cell values change, this involves clicking each chart and changing the values in the axis options individually. This is tedious and prone to error when large numbers of charts are involved.

It would be advantageous to be able to tie these axis properties to cell values (or even to define a formula for them). That way, a user could update a single value…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• ERM Heat Map Display

As part of Enterprise Risk Management, four quad visual representation for areas of concern and C-Level acknowledgment is key.

The need to inexpensively and dynamically display Enterprise Risk Management Heat maps data using Excel would be very powerful.

Many GRC tools can perform this work, but purchasing a COTS solution is prohibitive for SMB's at times..

1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow error bars or drop lines for single points

I'd like to add x- and y- error bars to individual points on a x-y chart to highlight one or two selected points. Using the Minus direction x- and y- error bars with 100% on a singe point would be great for highlighting a point.

Currently, error bars are added to every point in a series. This isn't terribly useful when there are many crowded points, or when a single point is to be highlighted. See the left chart in the attached image

Currently, an additional series must be added (see attached image) to create the desired drop-down feature. It's…

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Graph's Labels should have an option about indention

This will eliminate the labels covering each others.This indention option is very needed on using 2 Axis (Primary & Secondary), even we select that the primary label be in 'Inside Base' while secondary label in 'Outside End', there were still time that the two labels be intersect each other and its hard to read (sample attached).

PS: we can manually drag the secondary axis rightward but not advisable on using interactive dashboard because once you moved it, it will stick into that place.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Improve the graphing capacity of Excel...

Excel 2016 is choking up on graphs that have multiple datasets of close to 20,000 points each on a single graph. This problem was also in Excel 2007 or 2010 (I forgot which one) which was then improved in a subsequent release of Excel (2010 or 2013). Did the grapher in Excel get reverted back to an older version of the grapher? It would be very much appreciated if the grapher from Excel 2013 can be brought back which does not have issues with choking up on graphs that have multiple datasets of over 20,000 points each on a single…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Remove the chart elements, chart styles and chart filters buttons at the top right corner of a chart sheet

I believe those buttons are new to Excel 2013. With the limited space on a chart, those buttons, which would be displayed as soon as you click on the chart, unnecessarily block anything a user puts in that corner so one cannot see the text/graphics. It's not an issue when a chart is placed on a worksheet as the buttons are located on the outside of the frame of the chart. However, it's annoying when a chart is on its own chart sheet.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Add possibility to insert Connectors connected to/between Cells as it is done for Shapes today.

I want to add Connectors and connect them to the Excel cells, which then needs to have connector points at some places like edges and corners. The connector could be from another Shape or between two cells. As example, this would make it more easy to connect activities and more to system phases in a Roadmap. I can see a whole lot of other use if this is enabled. Today I use Shapes in a timeline instead of the cells to make the connectors possible, but then I miss so much functionality that the cells covers.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Update Filled Map

Nepal has divided into 7 provinces and 77 districts but still filled map is not updated. Its plotted only for 75 district and 14 zones but not into 7 provinces and 75 districts.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Graph Data Labels Disappearing when Filtered

Good Morning,
                                      Below is a post I put into the Microsoft Community Page on an Issue I am having with graphing. The Moderator was able to re-create the issue and told me to post here.
                                      https://answers.microsoft.com/thread/db1ebc99-3e68-4aa2-aeb7-1903fa3d9909
                                      The issue is When you have a bar graph by month, and want to filter out older months, for every month you uncheck, you loose a data label in the later months on the graphs.
                                      I would like to see this issue fixed in a patch if possible. It would prevent me from going back to Excel13 to get my graphs printed each month. …

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Time dependent chart area visualization

When creating graphs related to spans of time periods (e.g. data on weekly or monthly basis), it would be useful to instruct Excel not to show data if are in the future for specified data series.
                                        For example, if you want to show budget/target vs actual, a chart is much better to view if represents just the budget and dynamically shows the actual, rather than filling the chart areas of a set of zero points. Another scenario is when you want to show some time dependent data, like actual per week. If I want to show the data up to…

2 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Make Excel chart leader lines adjustable or at least allow choices for connection ex. top of box, edge of box, bottom of box

Make Excel chart leader lines adjustable or at least allow choices for connection ex. top of box, edge of box, bottom of box

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base