Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. spell check

As ms word is having spell check function, i suggest you to add the same to MS Excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • I would like to have the option of deleting a document (i am just learning the how to do it and I haven't found a way yet).

I would like to have the option of deleting a document (i am just learning the how to do it and I haven't found a way yet).

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

To delete a document, simply select the file in Windows Explorer (or SharePoint Online or OneDrive – wherever the file is stored) and press the delete key on your keyboard.

Hope that helps,
        Dan [MS]

• a new hotkey for copy cell values

we need a hotkey for copy cell values. ctrl+c copies cell. but usually we need to copy the "text" or "number" that stored in the cell.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Setan,

Good news – This is already supported in Excel, but it’s done as part of Paste, rather than as part of Copy.

1. Select the range you want to copy values from
          2. Ctrl+C
          3. Select where you want to Paste
          4. Ctrl+Alt+V (Paste Special)
          5. Choose “Values”

The reason we do this is so that you don’t need to make the decision about what you want to paste until you actually do the paste operation, and you can paste several different things with one copy operation (you could paste values and formatting for example).

Hope that helps,
          Dan [MS]

• 39 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Make subscription versions of Office 365 work (make new features available) even when I'm not connected to the internet / am offline.

In the past Office worked independently of the Internet. Now I'm forced to have an Internet connection to get anything done. I pay my annual fee and should be able to use all Office Products when offline.

15 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi all,

This isn’t an Excel specific issue (so there’s nothing we can do in Excel to change this), but I’ll try to give a bit of info here to be helpful.

With Office 365, you don’t need to be connected to the internet at all times in order to use the “new” (subscription) functionality that is part of the monthly/annual fee. Office licensing has a “heartbeat” that checks your license and then caches that information locally for the times when you’re offline. That cache lasts for about a month – so as long as you connect to the internet monthly, you shouldn’t run into a problem where features aren’t working.

That may not solve everyone’s problem (I realize there are some people with no internet connection at all, and a non-subscription version of Office may be better in those situations), but hopefully it helps a bit.

Cheers,
              Dan [MS]

• Make Excel window grabbing (and moving) painless

I just upgraded from Excel 2007 to 2016 on Win10. I am amazed how the user interface has degraded. I just spent about 5 minutes trying to grab the Excel window I'd moved to the top of my monitor's screen (so that workbook was visible while I was in another application) and I couldn't do it! At ALL!! I had to close it down from the bottom menu bar! MAJOR FAILURE! There's so much garbage up on the top that you've literally sacrificed usability for mostly useless abilities. Keeping the ability to "link" while dumping the ability to move the…

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Moving Excel using the top (green by default) bar is already supported, and works the same as it has in previous versions. If you can link to a video that shows the problem you’re having, we’ll be more than happy to take a look.

Cheers,
                Dan [MS]

• Functionality

Making this version as functional as previous versions. Can't use arrows keys to navigate between cells. Keyboard functionality is non-existent. I've gotta stop what I'm doing to use the mouse to navigate anywhere but to the cell below. WORTHLESS!! A VERY DISAPPOINTED USER!!! (Excel has always been my fav program. I even do my lesson plans in it rather than a word processor.)

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

Excel 2016 allows the various keyboard functionality that you’ve mentioned. Please add more detail if there are items that you’re still running into.

Cheers,
                  Dan [MS]

• Normalize ribbons between office applications

Ribbons were an OK response to menu creep, but each Office application was optimized separately. Instead they should be optimized for the Office experience, not the Excel or Outlook experience. As an example, there should be one place to find spelling and grammar and it should be the same for every office application. We learn to use office as a whole not individual applications.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In general, common functionality is already on common ribbon tabs in Office. For instance, spelling and grammar are on the Review ribbon tab, across Office.

Cheers,
                    Dan [MS]

• Make an option to disable sounds

Because dings are annoying. And you can't disable excel volume in the volume mixer in windows taskbar.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

In File > Options > Advanced > General, there is an option to “Provide feedback with sound.” Uncheck that, and I think you’ll be good to go.

Cheers,
                      Dan [MS]

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base