Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. PowerQuery will auto update on refresh, but I would like to save the workbook 'as of' a certain date (i.e. month end)

Power Query can automatically reach out and update a workbook for the newest data. And then I can run Pivot Tables off of it. But I would like the ability (SaveAs Variant) to save the file and freeze the current data table but NOT the related pivot tables and analytics. This would be helpful at week end and month end dates for financial information.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Have the print settings remember more than two-sided for a s/s.

Have the print settings remember more than two-sided for a s/s. I print a selection repeatedly for my schedule s/s and it bugs me that you no longer remember that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. ribbon buttons function clicked and application in background

If I add a button like save (because the default file save is so annoying), I would like the button to work the first time I press it, even if the application is in the background, at least give me the option to turn this on and off.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. ClearClipboard API 64 bit Office 2013

Currently, the 64 bit of Excel 2013 does not allow the ClearClipboard function to clear the clipboard. Please add this functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Size of user forms are different with Excel 2016

I am having Excel 2013 (VBA7.0) and 2016(VBA7.1) installed on a same computer(windows 10).

Then I created one simple user form with 2013 and 2016 individually. The size of the user form are different when I run the user form with these two different excel/vba version.

I set form.width = 240 for both but 2013 has bigger size than 2016. Same problem for form.height.

Is there anyone know was there something changed with 2016 or vba7.1.

The issue was also reproduced by other users. See following discussion.

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/21a8bbbb-92f6-406e-9b86-ae21b63570b0/size-of-user-forms-are-different-with-excel-2016?forum=exceldev

Thanks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Have a Canvas to help organize your workflow

This is a big idea that would add a fundamental feature to Excel. The idea is to have a blank - no grid lines, column or row structure - Canvas.

I am describing using this Canvas idea for two different functionalities here:
    1) You could use this to organize linked spreadsheets. With linked files the Canvas could help you understand the linkage relationships by showing a small icon picture representing each spreadsheet in your “network”. This is like in Access where you can see how tables are joined. Or I think PowerPivot shows something like this, for joining tables. My…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Right click on cell options in the list - need some more options

I would like to have more options to select after i right click a cell in Excel.
    Always wondered why not more? And the ones in there are not what i would really choose.
    One i would definitely add is the REPLACE. I always have to go up to the right to click replace. Would be so much easier to right click cell and select replace. Also would be nice to have set Print Area there too so i could select it there.
    The current choices are shown below. Need more choices. The 2 i recommend would be great to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Richer experience in Advanced Editor for Power Queries

Can we have some intellisense and improved ability to reference Power Query functions in this window. It's quite a pain to have to go off to a separate guide on Power Query functions when you just need a bit of help to get going - in terms of what function you should use and / or the arguments it takes

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. I have a few suggestions with regard to comments boxes.

I have a few suggestions with regard to comments boxes.

1. Currently we cannot make one comment box common for two or more cells.

2. Color of the comment box: Can we have multiple colors (This will help the user assign one color for some category of comments).

3. Currently we can have only one comment box per cell. Can we have one more - one of each color

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Place some indicator in the Row (1,2,3...) or Column (A, B, C...) header that there is data or formula within that entire row or column

Before I begin to manipulate rows or columns, I check to see if my change will affect the data presentation elsewhere or include unintended information within my formula.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Sales Invoice Tracker template Improvement

Hello Team, This suggestion is for online template for excel. For sales invoice tracker template on the Invoice sheet the mapping for deposits and other fields are interchanged. It needs to be corrected.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bug in Power Query for Excel 2016

Bug in Power Query for Excel 2016 (aka Get & Transform) The Data Catalog Search option on the "New Query" button is connected to the same sign in window as the My Data Catalog Queries option. It wasn't like that in Power Query for Excel 2016. Can you fix this so that the Data Catalog Search option, works like it use to? Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. my calendar insight

Make it possible to generate my calendar insight for a group in the "template my calendar insight". For example for a mail group with approval or for a calendar group if it's shared.
    A group insight will be very beneficial in decision making and improving productivity etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Ziyan,

Can you give a bit more info about how you see this feature being applicable to and working in Excel?

Thanks,
    Dan [MS]

17. Follow a hyperlink in the same window

Have 2 windows of the same workbook open.
    There is a ToC sheet with hyperlinks to the other sheets.

If I click in window 2 on a hyperlink in the ToC sheet Excel activates the sheet in the 1st window instead of in the 2nd one.
    That's not expected and not desired. With this behavior you never can activate different sheets by following hyperlinks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Increase URL length allowed in cell to at least 512 characters

With Office 365 and sharepoint, the 256 URL length limit makes many URLs created by Sharepoint useless. Sharepoint creates links well over 300 characters - Create a link from a OneNote page in Sharepoint for example. We shouldn't have to create shortURLs to paste in Excel just to link to Sharepoint documents.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Floating Spreadsheet Wizard

what I envision is having a small window that floats near the edge of the at the bottom/top row or far right/left column. The window is to be used for simple functions like summing up a set of cells without interrupting the tables you've created. So If I can predesignate the function I want, select the cells to use but have the final number returned to a little window instead of cell on the spreadsheet. then be able to save the window has like comment or note or something similar. Ask me questions, willing to test design and add input.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Hyperlinks from one cell to another should update cell references automatically as rows or columns are inserted or deleted

Hyperlinks that move you from one cell to another in a spreadsheet should update their cell references automatically as rows or columns are inserted or deleted anywhere on the spreadsheet. Right now, if you create a hyperlink from one cell to another and subsequently insert or remove rows, the hyperlink cell reference does not update.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base