Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Consolidate spreadsheets

In Microsoft Word there is a feature that allows for you to consolidate documents under the Review tab and Compare function. In many instances, I may have a similar spreadsheet from other individuals which requires consolidation into one spreadsheet. It would be nice to have the ability to consolidate/combine these spreadsheets into one, similar to the word function.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. statusbar updates

At times, when Excel loses focus, messages sent to the statusbar no longer update (like a percent complete that increments from a macro). It would be great if Excel could somehow raise the priority of the statusbar so that any changes to the statusbar text would trigger updating that part of the screen.

Heck, maybe even when Excel isn't the active window- to be able to see percent complete in the background while working in a foreground window...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel 2016: [View Update] leads to misunderstanding

Dear team,

I love Excel, and am using version 2016.

When go to [File] > [Account] > [Update Options] > [View Updates], I can see a "What's new in Office 365" web page.
    I expect update history of my Excel by [View Updates], because [View Updates] says "See the update history for this product".

You should show me update history of my Excel, or change the name of [View Update] or change its explanation with other words.

I strongly hope you will take some actions.

Best regards,

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Please please please make the "Save As" button which I always put in my Quick Access Toolbar available on Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.

Bring back the Save As button for the Quick Access Toolbar! I used to use it all the time on older versions of Office.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. "Add a Place" needs to allow shortcuts to folders on my computer or be less intrusive

Right now, Add a Place takes up a lot of space on the screen and it's got just 3 options, none of which I use much.

It would be better if I could pin regularly used folders on the Save-As Screen. That would TRULY help keep my files organized.

The alternative would be to make the Add a Place smaller and make room for something else.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. excel set default app

Running Excel 2016 (through Office 365 for Education). Excel asks me something like, "Excel is not your default app for all possible file types. Would you like to fix this?" When I click "Yes," a window tells me to go to:

Settings --> System --> Default apps

Above is NOT CORREDT!!

The guidance should be the following (for Excel 2016 anyway):

Settings --> Apps --> Default Apps --> Set Defaults by App

Select Excel, and then "Set this program as default."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Password generator

It will be good if there is a feature for generating password and encryting the excel. The person that receives the encrypted excel will be notified with the password.However they will not receive the master password. Excel will each time create a unique password for each individual and send a password. Also in the password mechanism there will be a read/write permission.
    By this the excel owner can use master password to lock his own excel sheet. And the person that receives the excel sheet will never know the master password. Of course if there is a recovery option for…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. document location

The ability to add the "Document Location" to the quick-access toolbar has been removed from Office 16 - (Excel). It would be really nice to add the ribbon button command back in so I don't have to take an extra step and go back to the file menu just to do the same function!! Extra work that should be unnecessary!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow for different themes/menu bar colours for each instance / window of Excel open

Hi there,
    I work a lot with multiple instances of excel as well as multiple windows open in each instance. What would be helpful is a visible way of quickly recognizing which instance / window I'm looking at. In my mind it would be something as simple as allowing each instance / window to have it's own background colour. Apologies, for lack of the technical reference, I'm not sure if it's a theme, but as an example the top of my Excel application window is green (based I think on the theme). If we could customise that colour for each…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Drop Down List - two columns of datasource

Currently Excel drop down list only works on one column of data as Drop Down list data source (please, correct me If I'm wrong). While sometimes we want to display another column data. For example : I have a customer table with two columns CustomerId and CustomerName, I want to display both CustomerId and CustomerName but use CustomerId as the value of drop-down list. This feature is not currently exist in every version of Excel including the latest Excel 2016. I hope this feature will be included on next Excel version....Many Thanks.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Hi, feature that helps to merge data from multiple worksheets to create a master sheets and it is updated automatically regularly.

I wonder if there is a feature of merging the data from multiple worksheets to create a master sheet exist in excel.
    In case the format of multiple worksheet is same and the consolidated data is required, how do one can create a master sheet and pull/bring data from multiple worksheet.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I am so tired of having my personal and my business Microsoft Accounts becoming intertwined.

I have a work account. I have Office 365. I installed Office on my personal home desktop so I can get quick access to my work email if I want. Same with my personal laptop.
    Come to work today and through no doing of my own, my account accociated with Office has now become my personal account. I have been figthing with this for more then a year now. I login at work and I see 2 One Drive accounts, my personal and business. Finally delete that. My personal profile picture became my work account photo at my home. Fix…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. To improve any Office App is...

Any update to one of the any of the Office Programs must obey to the following simple principles:
    a) Make all the Office package easier to be used;
    b) Make all the Office package more powerful/useful/colaborative;
    c) Make all the Office package more secure.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow student, current users to add expired, retired themes for Excel

Allow student, current users of Excel to add expired, expanded, retired themes. I am a student and am being asked to change my theme in Excel to 'Celestial'- of which I cannot-it is not present within the current options. Why can we not do this -just as we easily are able to when we choose to change our desktop themes? Sad face :( ......

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. vbe

Can we have a dark theme for the Visual Basic Editor, making it easier to use at night? Thank you

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add a second "Locked" option for cells, which only allows data entry and deletion when a sheet is protected.

When you have cells which have to remain unlocked for user data entry, and formulas that rely on the data from those cells, it can break the entire sheet when someone accidentally performs a drag-and-drop/cut-and-copy. You can only hope that it’s broken in a way that is glaringly obvious, so that it's caught.
    It would be nice to be able to have a second tier "Locked" option, perhaps called something like "Data Only". It would be a third check box, alongside "Locked" & "Hidden", when formatting cell protection. It would limit cell interaction to entering and deleting user data.
    It…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make cells recognise phone numbers when you copy paste a phone number into a cell

Make cells recognise phone numbers when you copy paste a phone number into a cell. ALways have to add an " before the phone number.................

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow to sync Quick Access Toolbars with O365 account.

So that we don't need to re-configure Excel every time we install it on a new computer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base