Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Avoid file already open error.

When you use the file open option, the dialogue box could show a checkmark next to the files that are already open

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Shadow sheets for any given worksheet

Right click a sheet tab where there would be a new option "Show Shadow Sheets" (with an 'extent to a sub-menu' triangle).
    The sub-menu would have options like "Number formats", "Conditional formats", "Formulas"..
    Clicking one of these options adds a check-mark to the list item and a new sheet appears beside the current sheet that would act as a special sheet of corresponding parameter values to the first sheet; sort of a 'shadow sheet' of parameters to the first one.

The sheet would have a demarcating format of some kind to show its special status as not another normal worksheet.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel should use Group Policy value for "Century interpretation for Year 2000"

Excel's Two Digit year behavior is only using the locally configured setting. There is a Group Policy called "Century interpretation for Year 2000" that overrides the local configuration, but Excel ignores it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Allow users to select the font size for Data Validation Input Message text.

Allow users to change the font size of Data Validation Input Message text. A recent update for Excel 2016 (PC version) increased the font size and now several Input Messages in one of my custom templates are truncated (and there is no way to scroll down to see the truncated text). If it was possible to decrease the font size (at least to what it was previously) of the Input Message text then it would solve the problem. More generally, being able to select a particular font size this would be a useful feature.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Go back to giving us the permanent DVD ROM of the software

Quite frankly .. I LIKE having the physical copy that has no expiration date of the software in my files .. (This way if the item fails (or the device goes belly up .. and I have to migrate everything to a new device) .. I still have the software in my hands and can easily do that transfer to the new device WITHOUT having to trust internet connections and downloads from the cloud

This is especially true for those of us who are Military and/or live rurally (we do not have reliable connections at the best of times ..…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Setting Print Area - cant do it with right click? why not?

I noticed that when i select an area of cells, and right click , the option to 'Set Print Area' is not there. Why not? It should be there. Instead, i have to go up to the ribbon to find Page Layout, Print Area, then set print area. Can Page Layout be added to the right click menu or at least just the Set Print Area command? Not sure why it isnt there. i would have it there for sure to save the mouse move to top and 3 more clicks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Provide a toggle Switch in Find and Replace Dialog box...

When we press Ctrl+H 2nd or 3rd time on same excel, it shows pre-filled texts which we've already used. sometimes, we just need to find and replace vice versa from previous action. so, providing a toggle button would be helpful to move find text to replace text and replace text to find text ....

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Excel should have that right arrow button on right side of tabs, not left.

Please move that right arrow button (the triangle that points right) to the rightmost side of tabs. It is in the wrong place. Dont like it there. I dont like the 3 dots much because when i click it , it jumps to tabs to the right and moves the tab i am in. I just want to scroll right and show more tabs. I dont want to jump into a diff tab. So plz move that right arrow to the rightmost side of tabs. Then i can do that without going all the way to the left side. Put…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bring back Save Workspace in Windows 10. This was a great function that is now missing.

Save workspace was available in W 2003 which I use at one of my clients to get me back on track after working on other projects. It immediately re-initialized every workbook exactly as it was left the day before or at any time past. This saves time and avoids bringing in the wrong version of one of the workbooks you want to get back into.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Better user guide documentation

Current user documentation is not bad but could be improved with more examples.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Keyboard shortcut Browse revert to "B"

The short cut to use the save as feature and browse to a location previously was, alt+F > A > B.
    It then changed to alt+F > D > O, and is now alt+F > D > Y1. Please change this back to B for Browse as the Y1 combination is slow and cumbersome.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Fix the ease to cancel password protection of individual sheets and adding MAC verification

It is so easy to cancel password protection of excel sheets. There are several methods you can find through Google search. I emphasize I'm talking about password protecting individual sheets and not the whole file...
    I use password protection to protect my software, which is implemented in an excel xlsx file, from being hacked and copied.
    Maybe you can fix this by better hiding the password tag or by adding an external tool that prevents deleting the password protection from the xlsx file?
    You can then charge people who forgot their password and need your help to recover access to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Have a grater variety of controls to include on forms

I use forms a lot, however, there are not as much controls on the control palette like on the past. For example the date picker control...

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Please allow us to change the style of icons in the toolbars; they're visually hard to discern

I have a hard time discerning the icons in the toolbar-and they are ugly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Wishing cell live update & easy checklist

I've been longing for feature like google sheet's cloud-based multiuser live update by instant sheet shareability. And easy setup for checklist with checkboxes alongside e.g. a numbered list. With this 2 features, group work can be enhanced with up-to-date status reports.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Enable possibility to refine "Find results" using additional keywords and/or filters

Enable possibility to refine "find results" using additional keywords and/or filters. (and enable to search terms separated by a space, e.g. "production data" ).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create forms (same as Smartsheet webforms) that are easy and don't require Macros

I am wondering if you can create a Form that doesn't need VBA to enable easy data entry into a table. The Smartsheet webforms are ideal for data entry, being simple and straightforward. I know that this is possible using macros, but the problem is that not everyone knows how to use Macros.

Forms are very suitable for the Access application. However my thought was to create an easy to use form that common Excel users can create, modify, etc. This would make Excel a much more useful databasing application.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Incorporate some basic Project Planning functions

Use Excel to plan simple projects. Include dependencies and resources functions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Select upper/lower triangular matrix with or without diagonal elements

Should be able to select a range of cells and then have the ability to select just the upper or lower triangular matrix of that range, either with or without the diagonal elements.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Need more fuctions for save as option

its hard to find suggestion box but its okay,
    i have a little suggestion for MS-Excel, when i want to save a document in excel i see some pre-used location, but most of time i have to save a document on folder which present on desktop, and for this i have to go first on desktop then i have to go for that particular folder. instead of this process, can you add pin which present on present on desktops locations right hand side which opens folders present on desktop immediately, so we can directly access to that folder, it will…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base