Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. a medical expense tracker template for tax purposes

There are at least three templates for planning a wedding but nothing for tracking medical expenses for taxes. There is an app for ipad called Medical Tracker I used to use, it was not ideal but it worked. I was hoping to find a template similar to that.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. feature description for "merge and center"

Hi there,
    While hovering on the "merge and center" option, I saw the feature description. I never really looked at it before, but it caught my eye because it actually doesn't look like it was merged. If you look at the "before" and "after," it just looks like the top cell's contents was centered. you really need to see that the top cell is two cells, and that in the bottom pic it has become one cell. I've attached a pic of what's there currently and what I think it might/should look like. Just an observation/thought. Thanks for your time…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. IRM read permission does not allow to change a filter or a pivot, nor to run a macro

The RMS permissions on a document for a user depend on the permission a user has for that library or document in sharepoint. The mapping from the sharepoint permissions to the RMS permissions are fixed and cannot be configured at this moment. This causes problems for users having sharepoint read access, when opening an excel workbook because they cannot change filters, make or change pivots, running macros. This makes the reading process of RMS protected workbooks unusable.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Excel - VLookUp

1 - The online help file regarding Vlookup does not specify that the matching values in the range must be sorted in ascending order. All of the examples show the data sorted in ascending order, but the directions do not specify that.

2 - Do you have normal users try to follow the published directions for the use of MS Programs, formulas, etc? This would be an excellent way to determine if your examples and directions are good. Normally, I find solutions outside of MS help files because they quite often are too confusing. I have an MBA and have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Option to hide the "tell me" box

The "tell me" box is quite intrusive, and for someone like me that never uses it, it's quite irritating. Can we have an option to hide it please? (Same goes for the "Share" button, actually, now that I think about it...)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make file size representation consistent

Currently, the representation of file sizes is inconsistent between Windows Explorer and Excel.

In Explorer, file size representations have a space after the number (eg 23 KB).

In Excel, file size reprentations (in File>Properties and File>Advanced Properties>General) don't have a space after the number (eg 23KB).

I find the Explorer representation easier to read.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. suggestion for comment box when you write click on a cell

when you write click a cell you can insert a comment. Is it possible to improve this; where you can:

1: change the font colour; when inputting text
    2: have a different colour for the comment box (not just red) on the top right hand corner of the cell
    3 potentially to use the corners of the cell for 4 different comments and each corner having a different colour if needs be

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. get humans to write/rewrite your help(less) files.

get humans to write/rewrite your help(less) files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow Excel to use the selected default voice set on the Windows control pannel.

A default voice can be selected on the Windows control panel. However, the specified voice is not used by "Speak Cells" or within a VBA application using Application.Speech.Speak Being able to change the default voice would permit VBA application to be written for use with a foreign language application.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Can Excel be split or better managed?

I'm finding as more and more formatting/ presentation options are added and changes made to make the product more accessible for basic use it makes it harder to actually do serious number crunching/ engineering type stuff. Today I was trying to work out how to change markers on graphs. It used to be a right click on the line and there were options. In the latest office a right click gets you options on colours and fill but markers must be elsewhere.
    I understand that others besides engineers and scientists use excel but (and perhaps this applies to all office…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I use Excel for inspections, It would be awesome if you were able to add a photo inside a comment window

be able to add a picture to a cell or comment window. It would be very useful (In my application) if you could retrieve an image with vlookup. Even more useful for me would be to be able to ad an image into a comment window.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Need .PBIT Query Parameter Treatment for .XLTX

Opening a .PBIT prompts for Query Parameter values. This same behavior is needed for Excel Power Query reports saved as .XLTX.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Avoid file already open error.

When you use the file open option, the dialogue box could show a checkmark next to the files that are already open

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Shadow sheets for any given worksheet

Right click a sheet tab where there would be a new option "Show Shadow Sheets" (with an 'extent to a sub-menu' triangle).
    The sub-menu would have options like "Number formats", "Conditional formats", "Formulas"..
    Clicking one of these options adds a check-mark to the list item and a new sheet appears beside the current sheet that would act as a special sheet of corresponding parameter values to the first sheet; sort of a 'shadow sheet' of parameters to the first one.

The sheet would have a demarcating format of some kind to show its special status as not another normal worksheet.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel should use Group Policy value for "Century interpretation for Year 2000"

Excel's Two Digit year behavior is only using the locally configured setting. There is a Group Policy called "Century interpretation for Year 2000" that overrides the local configuration, but Excel ignores it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow users to select the font size for Data Validation Input Message text.

Allow users to change the font size of Data Validation Input Message text. A recent update for Excel 2016 (PC version) increased the font size and now several Input Messages in one of my custom templates are truncated (and there is no way to scroll down to see the truncated text). If it was possible to decrease the font size (at least to what it was previously) of the Input Message text then it would solve the problem. More generally, being able to select a particular font size this would be a useful feature.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Go back to giving us the permanent DVD ROM of the software

Quite frankly .. I LIKE having the physical copy that has no expiration date of the software in my files .. (This way if the item fails (or the device goes belly up .. and I have to migrate everything to a new device) .. I still have the software in my hands and can easily do that transfer to the new device WITHOUT having to trust internet connections and downloads from the cloud

This is especially true for those of us who are Military and/or live rurally (we do not have reliable connections at the best of times ..…

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Setting Print Area - cant do it with right click? why not?

I noticed that when i select an area of cells, and right click , the option to 'Set Print Area' is not there. Why not? It should be there. Instead, i have to go up to the ribbon to find Page Layout, Print Area, then set print area. Can Page Layout be added to the right click menu or at least just the Set Print Area command? Not sure why it isnt there. i would have it there for sure to save the mouse move to top and 3 more clicks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base