Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please allow us to change the style of icons in the toolbars; they're visually hard to discern

I have a hard time discerning the icons in the toolbar-and they are ugly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Wishing cell live update & easy checklist

I've been longing for feature like google sheet's cloud-based multiuser live update by instant sheet shareability. And easy setup for checklist with checkboxes alongside e.g. a numbered list. With this 2 features, group work can be enhanced with up-to-date status reports.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "tell me what you want to do" is great, but.....

I wish it would ALSO show me exactly where to find it next time.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Enable possibility to refine "Find results" using additional keywords and/or filters

Enable possibility to refine "find results" using additional keywords and/or filters. (and enable to search terms separated by a space, e.g. "production data" ).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Create forms (same as Smartsheet webforms) that are easy and don't require Macros

I am wondering if you can create a Form that doesn't need VBA to enable easy data entry into a table. The Smartsheet webforms are ideal for data entry, being simple and straightforward. I know that this is possible using macros, but the problem is that not everyone knows how to use Macros.

Forms are very suitable for the Access application. However my thought was to create an easy to use form that common Excel users can create, modify, etc. This would make Excel a much more useful databasing application.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Incorporate some basic Project Planning functions

Use Excel to plan simple projects. Include dependencies and resources functions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Select upper/lower triangular matrix with or without diagonal elements

Should be able to select a range of cells and then have the ability to select just the upper or lower triangular matrix of that range, either with or without the diagonal elements.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Need more fuctions for save as option

its hard to find suggestion box but its okay,
    i have a little suggestion for MS-Excel, when i want to save a document in excel i see some pre-used location, but most of time i have to save a document on folder which present on desktop, and for this i have to go first on desktop then i have to go for that particular folder. instead of this process, can you add pin which present on present on desktops locations right hand side which opens folders present on desktop immediately, so we can directly access to that folder, it will…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. ClearClipboard API 64 bit Office 2013

Currently, the 64 bit of Excel 2013 does not allow the ClearClipboard function to clear the clipboard. Please add this functionality.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Right click on cell options in the list - need some more options

I would like to have more options to select after i right click a cell in Excel.
    Always wondered why not more? And the ones in there are not what i would really choose.
    One i would definitely add is the REPLACE. I always have to go up to the right to click replace. Would be so much easier to right click cell and select replace. Also would be nice to have set Print Area there too so i could select it there.
    The current choices are shown below. Need more choices. The 2 i recommend would be great to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I have a few suggestions with regard to comments boxes.

I have a few suggestions with regard to comments boxes.

1. Currently we cannot make one comment box common for two or more cells.

2. Color of the comment box: Can we have multiple colors (This will help the user assign one color for some category of comments).

3. Currently we can have only one comment box per cell. Can we have one more - one of each color

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Place some indicator in the Row (1,2,3...) or Column (A, B, C...) header that there is data or formula within that entire row or column

Before I begin to manipulate rows or columns, I check to see if my change will affect the data presentation elsewhere or include unintended information within my formula.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Bug in Power Query for Excel 2016

Bug in Power Query for Excel 2016 (aka Get & Transform) The Data Catalog Search option on the "New Query" button is connected to the same sign in window as the My Data Catalog Queries option. It wasn't like that in Power Query for Excel 2016. Can you fix this so that the Data Catalog Search option, works like it use to? Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Floating Spreadsheet Wizard

what I envision is having a small window that floats near the edge of the at the bottom/top row or far right/left column. The window is to be used for simple functions like summing up a set of cells without interrupting the tables you've created. So If I can predesignate the function I want, select the cells to use but have the final number returned to a little window instead of cell on the spreadsheet. then be able to save the window has like comment or note or something similar. Ask me questions, willing to test design and add input.…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Hyperlinks from one cell to another should update cell references automatically as rows or columns are inserted or deleted

Hyperlinks that move you from one cell to another in a spreadsheet should update their cell references automatically as rows or columns are inserted or deleted anywhere on the spreadsheet. Right now, if you create a hyperlink from one cell to another and subsequently insert or remove rows, the hyperlink cell reference does not update.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow non-tiled Background images

Setting an image as Background automatically tiles it across the entire workbook. Would be nice to have the option to not tile it and have the image appear only once in the top left corner.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Suggestion for improving an Excel template

I can't find anywhere else to make this suggestion. Please don't come down too hard on me for doing it here.

Microsoft Excel has a fabulous Retirement Financial Planner template in Excel but one thing that is sorely missing is a field where I can enter an annual dollar amount that I wish to withdraw from my savings. Just a suggestion that I think would really improve an already great tool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. data>consolidate

The feature still only works across files and not across sheets (Unless you use the Sheet_Title rangename. Feature would be much stronger if it displayed the sheet name as well as the file name in the summary tables that it creates

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base