Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. stop formula tips from hiding column letters

My idea is to stop the formula tips hiding the column letters when I am writing a formula.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. add the search of words to contents of hyperlink

In a document there are many words with hyperlinks.
    It is necessary to find a word in a document, with a concrete hyperlink (by contents of hyperlink)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Autorecover save to original location.

When attempting to save auto recovered files the original location of the file should be default location for each file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Drop down calendar in the toolbar

Place a calendar icon on toolbar to open a calendar for date reference.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Give Power Query the facility to display "currency" data types in currencies other than dollars

I'm in the UK and my Windows / Excel settings ares set to "£" but when I go into Power Query and change a column's data type to "currency", the results shows a dollar($) sign
    Surely there should be a way to change this to "£" or another currency?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. For document recovery, please display differences between recovered files!!

When Excel "didn't close properly," and upon opening again, it gives you the choice between various recovered versions of the different files that were open at the time of the crash... and these files happen to be huge... there's a very great need for Excel to display the differences between those files. That way you can choose between them without a huge amount of work to determine what's different (there might not be any difference, but you need to know). As a very heavy spreadsheet user (dating from far before Excel even existed), I have a pretty long wish list...…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Have the Excel Team actually work on voted ideas intead of just "Reviewing" them

It does seem that you only work on a very limited number of suggestions wich mostly have very few votes while others, with a ton of votes, are left "under review" FOR YEARS.

In true Microsoft tradition, it seems you are always waaaay too busy creating new issues for the next version (which you will of course not solve when the time comes) by messing up things that worked perfectly before, instead of fixing "old" issues in the current one.

Even those minute things which couldn't possibly require all that much to implement and do have more votes than most…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. go back to office 2013. The 2016 version sucks!

Re-enable 2013 features.
    Version 2016 is terrible!
    I'm sorry I ever upgraded. 2016 sucks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Yep HIGHLIGHT the whole row when I search and find something, instead of a little line on the left of the cell

Yep HIGHLIGHT the whole row when I search and find something, instead of a little line on the left of the cell

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Provide detailed definitions/instructions for Ribbon Customization Commands in Excel 2016

Currently there is an alphabetical listing for Excel functions, however the 'Customize Ribbon' option does not provide any details of the commands on the 'Excel Options' list. You can hover over each option, and get an alternative access route, which doesn't help.

Is it possible to provide a 'how-to' or 'under which circumstances' a command may be valuable?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Rename Columns

There have been times when I have wanted to rename columns in Microsoft Excel 2016. (For example: rename columns "A" & "B" to "Item" & "Cost"). Is that possible?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. There needs to be a way to prevent Google Sheets or other applications from bypassing the security features in Excel. For example, if the w

There needs to be a way to prevent Google Sheets or other applications from bypassing the security features in Excel. For example, if the workbook has hidden sheets which require a password to unlock OR if the workbook has protection within a sheet, those passwords can be completely bypassed by SIMPLY opening the excel file in Google Sheets.

I am an advanced excel user and have locked down my pricing workbooks so customers cannot see the details behind the pricing only to find out that by simply opening this well protected workbook in Google Sheets, they are now able to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. A very useful feature has disappeard - the ability to send a file by email right away from the MS Office.

A very useful feature has disappeard - the ability to send a file by email right away from the MS Office. It should put back in place in the next update. Now I have to save the file, add it as an attachment to an email, and finally not to forget to delete the file.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow hyperlink to a page of other ms office document

Sometimes, the target document is read only by users (me). I cannot add bookmark in it. However, i need to put a link on my excel/ms products to link to that document on a particular page.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Hello - I'd like to see an obvious way to know what version of Excel I'm using so when I search for help, results are relevant

Not seeing anything that says "Excel 2016" or any version info without digging around. When I search for help with an issue, I'm geeting so much useless info since it doesn't apply to the version that I'm working with.

Thanks much and keep up the great work

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make Excel protection tools more reliable and foolproof

What is the benefit of all the protection tools available in Excel?! If some users can easily hack it by knowing some tricks, or by using some password-cracking software.

Please make Excel protection tools more reliable and foolproof.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Clipboard not working properly after latest updates

Windows 10 Pro v1607, OS Build 14393.1715
    Excel 2016 Office 365 ProPlus v1701, Build 8431.2079

Steps to reproduce:
    1. copy/paste a cell selection to another area
    2. copy some other text from another application, such as notepad
    3. attempt to paste newly-copied text into another cell

The result of the above is that the original copy is again pasted into the Excel workbook. The second copy is ignored.

This is not expected behavior.

The only workaround that I have found is if I clear the original "marching ants" copy selection (by pressing ESC key) before copying the second text.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Working with multiple spreadsheet on 1 page

It would be so beneficial to be able to have 2 or more spreadsheet independent of one another on one sheet. For example, you could be working on "sheet 1", start creating your spreadsheet, create whatever you are working on, set your desired columns height, width and formatting, then open "spreadsheet 2" on same page that would contain independent working columns from "spreadsheet 1". You could then set up different column height and width for this spreadsheet as well. The spreadsheets would work as if working on two different documents and have the exact same options as usual, except when…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base