Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Move or Copy Tab Function

Instead of having the (move to end) function at the bottom of the list, either move it to the top, or perhaps create a check box for this function and place I under the existing Create a Copy check box

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please allow us to turn off "Tell me what you want to do"

Tell me what you want to do is great for new users, but having it clutter up my menu is annoying. Please give us the ability to turn it off.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Word tab

It would be extremely useful if Excel allowed you to add a Word tab - it would just be another tab in the workbook (not an embedded document), but would function like a Word document (with Word ribbon, features, etc.) but you would be able to link to other Excel tabs to pull in numbers, tables, etc. This would be a boon for preparing financial statements.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a serach option File-> Options (Excel Options)

I would like to share the following idea to enhance excel user experience, Kindly add search settings in options (excel options)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bring back Picture Manager

I miss the Picture Manager that was included in Office 2010. I feel it's a poor decision to remove it from recent Office "upgrades". Windows Live Photo Gallery has feature gaps, as does Word and PowerPoint - compared to Picture Manager.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Put colour back into the Quick Access Toolbar

Hi there, ive just upgraded to Office 2016

Please put colour back into the Quick Access Toolbar in Excel
    I can only get colour in this toolbar if i switch to an all white office theme (which feels like a mental assylum..)
    Ironically using the "Colourful" theme my quick access toolbar is montonic and extremely difficult to distinguish which icon is which

Please let me know if there is a fix for this in the meantime?

Thanks
    Nicole

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Inquire - Worksheet Relationship diagram - suggested improvements

The Worksheet Relationship diagram in the new Inquire tool is potentially very useful for checking that a spreadsheet flows well from inputs --> calculations --> output. For example an arrow from an output sheet to an input sheet might suggest a problem with the way a spreadsheet has been designed.

The diagram currently also shows arrows from the workbook name to each of the worksheets. This makes the diagram very cluttered when you have a lot of sheets and as far as I can tell doesn't really serve any purpose. Would it be possible to remove these arrows in a…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Spreadsheet Compare does not work with 64 bit office unless completely disconnected from a network

Spreadsheet Compare does not work with 64 bit Office 2016. Each time you load it you get Microsoft Office 2016 component has stopped working. If you look at event viewer it points to a faulting module named Mso30Win32Client.dll, version 16.0.4498.1001. It also shows that the application is in the Program Files (x86) directory instead of Program Files, which is where it should be if loaded with 64 bit Office 2016.

In our testing, we have found that if we completely disconnect from a network (wired or wireless) then the program will run which makes absolutely no sense since the program…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Create a way to eliminate the TELL ME box !!! Using multiple screens all the time, that ribbon is so crowded. EVERYONE HATES IT.

Create a way to eliminate the TELL ME box !!! Using multiple screens all the time, that ribbon is so crowded. EVERYONE HATES IT.

Make a KILL TELL ME button. And HIDE IT. Don't add it to the already crowded area.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. download updates percentage downloaded

When downloading updates for Office, it doesn't say how much is downloaded, so a percentage of what is downloaded would be good.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. improve the quick access toolbar (QAT)

What happened to the old drag & drop method of editing the custom toolbars, like in Office 2003 & earlier?

* You could just click customize toolbar then click & drag a button to where you want it.
    * You had the option to break your toolbar up into multiple rows.

Now we are forced to use this clunky editor with only 2 controls to move an item up and down a line - what if you want to move a button 20 items up to the top? All that clicking takes forever and after a while cramps up your…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Several top ideas in Desktop Access UserVoice can be useful for Desktop Excel.

There are many similarities between Desktop Excel and Access, VBA being the main glue that holds them together. Aside from using Excel as a data import/export tool, I also use it for generating reports based on data stored in Access. I strongly feel Access and Excel should be more tightly integrated.

I have posted a similar suggestion in Desktop Access UserVoice to stimulate Access developers to look at ideas in Desktop Excel UserVoice. Lets collaborate on improving each tool and making them more integrated!

https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/suggestions/20303422-several-top-ideas-in-excel-user-voice-can-also-be

Here's the top Desktop Access ideas:

https://access.uservoice.com/forums/319956-access-desktop-application/filters/top

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Option to change scroll line count

Please allow an option or setting to change the number of lines that are scrolled per wheel scroll. The default is 3 rows, though its also tied to the windows mouse scroll options. I had to change my mouse scroll to 1 line to change the excel scroll to 1 row at a time. Naturally, this affects the scroll speed of every program. It would also be cool to maybe hold a key to change the scroll speed. So I could hold Ctrl maybe, and the scroll speed would change to whatever the alt setting is. Thanks.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Power Query Truncate function

Power Query M Function to truncate decimal numbers to X decimal places.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Assign names for data groups

While grouping a set of columns or cells, using Data -> Outline -> Group; there is no option to specify separate names for the groups. It would be helpful if the next MS excel version includes this feature to assign names to individual groups which can be displayed in the top of worksheet (example attached)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Include a barcode generator in the Excel program.

By making a barcode generator available within Excel, this would make Excel useable for using it as a small inventory as well as making barcode labels. With the hand scanners available now days, this would greatly increase the use of Excel.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. stop making it so ******* complicated. It gave me three stupid reason why it couldn't copy cells. Don't make it think for me.

stop making it so * complicated. It gave me three stupid reason why it couldn't copy cells. Don't make it think for me. I am smarter than it is. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Go back to excel '97. **.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Change highlight colour with Black theme

When using the black theme, both the formula bar background and the highlight colour (the background colour behind selected text in the formula bar) are dark greys, so it is hard to see what is highlighted and what isn't.

The black formula would be much more usable if the highlight colour was lighter.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. embed file in cell

Allow file attachments in a cell (embedded). User can click on the file to open.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Prevent screen flickers (redraw)

When using VBA 'protect/unprotect' functions, it causes screen and activeX controls to flicker, eve when using ScreenUpdating.

Please refer to this post for details:
    https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/de93fd86-3b89-4b5f-a70c-ccdc3ef88103/activex-controls-are-flickering-when-using-vba-with-screenupdating?forum=exceldev&prof=required

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base