Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Feedback shouldn't force Internet Explorer

Going to File > Feedback > I have a suggestion shouldn't open Internet Explorer when it is not the default browser.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Copy/paste a cell INSIDE another cell

Right now, if you click on a cell without editing it, copy it and goes INSIDE another cell in editing mode, it won't copy anything. This can get annoying as you have to start over and enter inside the cell you want to copy, select the text, copy the text and then go in another cell in editing mode to paste it. It can be useful in situations where you want to add text to the content of a cell which already contains information.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Excel UI dialog boxes not using Office Theme colors - Make the UI consistent

I am currently using the "colorful" Office color theme. In Word this problem is not noticable, But in Excel, the application Windows is "excel green", but Dialog box title bars are "Word Blue" ... Disconcerting

Make the UI visually consistent

Same problem in PowerPoint, and I assume other applications, but I haven't bothered looking. I also assume that this is a problem in shared code. If you make the change to the OFFICE shared parent object used to create dialog boxes, the change will be migrated to all of the applications.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. PLEASE ENABLE TURN-OFF OF NEW 'FEATURE' IN EXCEL WHERE THE CELL YOU'VE HIGHLIGHTED WITH CTR+C STAYS HIGHLIGHTED AFTER CTR+V - VERY ANNOYING

The cell stays highlighted now even after you've done ctr+v and it's very distracting. You have to click Esc to get it to stop. This has nothing to do with all the people who have supposedly been asking to keep the clipboard active after clicking Ctrl+v. Since I don't want to see the highlighted cell remain so after pasting, I want to be able to turn off this annoying feature. Or am I missing something?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please consider including a function, currency-wise, for converting amount in words.

Please consider including a function, currency-wise, for converting amount in words. Presently novices like me, who have no idea of VB have to paste third party VB Code into worksheets and then wonder what to do and how to compile VB code into Function etc. You appreciate that it is easy to prepare a Cash-Receipt in Excel and this would greatly help reduce work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Have time worked in file info

In file info list amount of time worked on a document (time open or time editing)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. When publishing enhancements be very specific if only for Office 365 and not Excel 2016

Referring to following link that indicates AutoFilter drop-down issue when cells exceeds 10000 in Excel for Office 365 Applies To: Excel 2016

https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/autofilter-drop-down-issue-when-cells-exceeds-10000-in-excel-for-office-365-245ac7f2-d6ff-4c2a-9bd7-cb5182b154d0?ui=en-US&rs=en-IE&ad=IE

It does not apply to the "stand alone" version of Excel 2016 or if it does, please release the update for it. In Australia I believe that Microsoft could possibly be prosecuted for false advertising if someone researches information on Excel 2016 and purchases the stand alone version believing that it is included.

Please correct these statements to make it very clear that they only apply to Office 365 because when "Applies to Excel 2016" everyone assumes…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add help files for offline use back into Office (PC)

. Sometimes online while working on files is not an option!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. "Free" templates need user instructions

A user found this "free" template
    https://templates.office.com/en-us/Employee-absence-schedule-TM03987167
    Nice, but too much "hidden magic". It needs a user guide.

How do you add new users? Simply adding them to the Employee names list does not update the drop down in the month sheets. I've tried both of the refresh options I could find, they didn't work.

How can you make a change in a master page and have it propagate to all sheets, ie add new calculation column

How do the conditional formatting rules work. They use a syntax I've not seen before.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Correct the way the new sheets are named

Let's say that a user has a workbook with three sheets in it as follows:
    Sheet1
    Sheet2
    Sheet3

When he removes the Sheet3 and later decides to add it again, its name will be Sheet4!

Sheet3 has gone, so the Excel is supposed to give its name to the new sheet that was created.

Please make the Excel smarter in this aspect.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. I paid for MS Office 2003 years ago. Stop trying to deactivate it and force me to pay for your 365

I paid for OFFICE 2003 years ago... stop trying to force me to pay for Office 365 by deactivating components of 2003. that's ********!!!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. update the named range manager (resizeable, filter, find/replace, export to worksheet, etc.)

I searched for similar ideas, but only found one for Find/Replace.

There are some add-ins that offer much more functionality for named ranges, the thing I wish for most is for Excel to support resizing the NRM. Please take a look at some of the functionality now offered by third party solutions; if people are going to these add-ins to get functionality not yet offered by MS, then those are important to your users. While most of my workbooks don't require NRs, and those that do usually have a dozen or two at most, I have had some complex projects…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Integrate Fuzzy Lookup add-in functionality native to Excel on Office 365

We have been using this "Fuzzy Lookup add-in" highly in cleansing and building the customer (corporates) hierarchy.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=15011

Addition of the below features natively into Excel in Office 365 will definitely be a game changer. I am sure this functionality is tremendously used in companies like Dun & Brad Street and other companies.
    1. Fuzzy Lookup: Integrate Fuzzy lookup add-in functionality into VLOOKUP and MATCH functions as an option
    2. Fuzzy Duplicates Identification: Integrate this functionality into Highlight Duplicates feature as an option of Conditional formatting
    3. Fuzzy Duplicates Deletion: Integrate this functionality into Delete Duplicates feature as an option

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. stop formula tips from hiding column letters

My idea is to stop the formula tips hiding the column letters when I am writing a formula.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. add the search of words to contents of hyperlink

In a document there are many words with hyperlinks.
    It is necessary to find a word in a document, with a concrete hyperlink (by contents of hyperlink)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Autorecover save to original location.

When attempting to save auto recovered files the original location of the file should be default location for each file.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Drop down calendar in the toolbar

Place a calendar icon on toolbar to open a calendar for date reference.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base