Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to turn off scroll bars snap to top left cell visible

When scrollin through worksheet.
    If you have a big cell and want to see only part of it on top, because you have more important data rows bellow, you can't do it.
    Exel will always snap to top left of the cell visible at the top left.
    Make option to disable view snap to cell top left.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel spread sheet tabs are too small

In Windows 8, we were able to re-size Excel spreadsheet tabs, to make them bigger. I have now upgraded to Windows 10 and the option to increase sheet tab size is no longer available. The sheet tabs are too SMALL! Create the ability to increase the size of sheet tabs, but put the option under File>options>advanced. There is no logical reason why we should have to go into properties, display, appearance . . . in Windows control panel. And I can't understand why you would take away that option in the first place???

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Completely change your UI design

Hi Microsoft Office team! The design language of the Microsoft product range is absolutely abysmal. Office 2016/365 is so un-intuitive to the point that, having used Excel extensively for more than 20 years, I have to spend upwards of half an hour making a basic chart.

I think things started to go very wrong about the time the ribbon was introduced with Office 2007. It was at that stage the 'flat' 'metro' look was starting to become popular. This in itself is a terrible design philosophy as it makes users spend so much time hunting for functionality. More time is…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Set region and regional settings specific to Excel Workbook, rather than using system

Add the option of specifying a regional setting for Excel, as a property saved with the workbook, without having to change the regional settings for the whole system.

Allowing for example to use the DATEVALUE functions etc. in english while retaining the native system settings (or other way around), and for macros that uses these functions to work consistently across computers in international settings, without having to create workarounds.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Themes for all Office Products

Will there be a light gray option for Office 2016 themes has an update in the future? The current options are very ******* the eyes for us old people and the quick access toolbar icons do not come back with colors they had in Office 2013.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make all windows (Dialog Boxes) containing variable-sized content resizable

Too many windows force the user scroll well before the comfortable screen space for the window is exhausted. We also do not want these windows to simply be bigger and potentially take up an unnecessary amount of screen space.

For the best of both worlds, I suggest that a window should be resizable if and only if it contains variable-sized content (e.g. scroll bars, text boxes).

Examples of specific windows are listed in the comments.

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

25 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to use menus and toolbars rather than the ribbon

The ribbon uses a lot of space which makes working with Excel very difficult, especially on smaller displays.

It would be nice to have an option to have an "old-style" set of menus and toolbars to save space.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. I'd like to be able to scroll in my browser while Excel is active

Scroll in my browser while entering data in Excel without having to click my browser to scroll and then click Excel again to enter the data

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Vertical ribbon

My Screen is wider than high so I would like to be able to read more of the documents. In order to do so, the ribbon could be aligned vertically.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. speak cells: allow to choose language and speed

Speak cells is a very important feature yet unknown to most. It makes tasks like comparing sheets to printed reports or "blindly"
    crunch a lot of data very easy.
    Can you please let users choose a language? the speed (it is too slow at the moment)/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Persist location / position of notes and keep in view

When I create notes I often set their size and position, but when I open the spreadsheet again they often display at a different position and size.

Worse yet, sometimes a note will display off screen, where all I can see is the line leading to the note!

Notes already retain font settings; they should also "try" to remember their positions relative to their parent cells, and only choose a default when the persisted location "fails" in some way.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. "Protect Workbook" is misleading

When you protect an entire workbook, the menu item should change to "Unprotect workbook". Currently, it remains "Protect Workbook". This is misleading - you can't tell whether a workbook is protected or not until you actually click on the menu item. This seems to be a bug and needs to be fixed. It should work the way "Protect Sheet" works.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Correct spelling

I teach students English in Australia. Here we spell words like colour with the 'u' included, centre with 're' not 'er', '-ise' words with an 's' not a 'z', and to us the plural of formula is formulae. These are just examples. It's hard to teach spellings according to our rules when students are presented with software which spells words "incorrectly". It's not hard to show respect for how people outside the US spell words so please make available (as default) versions of your software (all of it) where the software has English/Australian/New Zealand spellings. I recognise that we can…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Need larger dialog boxes

The days of 640x480 monitors are long gone. All Excel dialog boxes should reflect that and be made as large as necessary to show all settings/options at once. For example, the Subtotal dialog box is only 257x327 and it can't be resized. It can only show six columns at a time in the "Add subtotal to" space. I frequently have ten or more columns to subtotal which means clicking and scrolling and clicking, etc.(as a side note, it would also be nice to click+drag to select multiple columns). There's no reason the dialog box can't automatically resize itself to fit…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make Excel protection tools more reliable and foolproof

What is the benefit of all the protection tools available in Excel?! If some users can easily hack it by knowing some tricks, or by using some password-cracking software.

Please make Excel protection tools more reliable and foolproof.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. hyperlink

Add the option to select "All Files" instead of just "Office Files" as the default choice when drilling down to select file for creating the hyperlink.

When creating large amounts of hyperlinks in a data table, every key stroke saved is helpful.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Go back to the appearance of Excel 2010 - at least make this a selectable option.

Excel (and other Office) versions after 2010 returned to a 1990's flat look. Highly unattractive, less clear and a step backwards.

Please allow this piece of "progress" to be deselectable, let us use the 2010 format if we wish.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Loan Calculator with Extra Payments Template error

There's an error in the Loan Calculator with Extra Payments Template, which is available for download. If extra payments are applied, the last payment may not be correctly calculated. The current version simply adds scheduled payments and extra payments in each line. So the formula in the Total Payment Column resolves to "SchedPay+ExtraPay". However, if the beginning balance for the last payment is less than the combined total of the scheduled payment and extra payment (which is almost always will be if there is any extra payment) the effect is that the client will be overcharged and there…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. power query write out

Ability to write back transformed data to eg SQL Server. In Power BI we can use the cumbersome way through R-scripts. This should be out-of-the-box so that it can really replace (basic) SSIS-scripts.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base