Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a method to create two-directional cell links. Typing in any one of the cells updates the other linked cell. Currently the only way I kn

Add a method to create two-directional cell links. Typing in any one of the cells updates the other linked cell. Currently the only way I know this can be done is through VB scripts in "thisworkbook".

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Provided Enhanced Text Functionality

Excel isn't used just for numbers. Many reports, from CRM systems especially, are text heavy and Excel works better for sortable data than Word tables, but the text functionality in Excel needs an upgrade. Perhaps a "text mode" could be created that opens up a new Ribbon tab with options such as bullets, line spacing, and spelling/grammar check that uses the Word/PowerPoint red/green squiggles. It would also be helpful for Find to highlight the item being searched for rather than the entire cell.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add holidays to Excel calendars.

Add holidays to Excel calendars.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix Office bugs for existing features in a timely manner. Offer a bug bounty program?

Offer a bug bounty program (could be non-monetary e.g. subscription extension, free licenses etc), so users have the incentive to submit reproducible, well documented bugs as soon as discovered. Repro step-by-step instructions with file samples could save the developers quite a lot of time in diagnosing and fixing bugs.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Cortana assistance with searching for and entering data

Was a little late to the party posting this in the Excel AMA, so I'm posting it here:
    reddit permalink: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3rid26/wearethemicrosoftexcelteamaskusanything/cwud8f4

Wanted to share thoughts on how I'm currently using OK Google and how Cortana could enhance this in a more practical desktop experience.

Probably the most unique application I use OK Google in is when playing Kerbal Space Program and finishing an interplanetary transfer. Here I use the website https://alterbaron.github.io/ksp_aerocalc/[1] to get a rough estimate of my aerobrake maneuver (I now the atmosphere model there is old, but that's besides the…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Office documents workbook

When you create a new workbook, there could be an option to create an 'Office documents' workbook. Then, when you add a new worksheet you would have the option to create non Excel types of worksheet, e.g. a Word document, a PowerPoint slide.

Ideally these would be linked, so the Word document could link to data on the Excel worksheets. This is already possible (e.g. you can embed an Excel extract into a Word document), but has the problem of the Excel file being stored in a separate location to the Word file. Having all the information stored in a…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make the formula window bigger font

I can't see the formula box as I get older so it would be nice if I can choose to make the font bigger. I don't like to edit in cell because I like to double click to find the linked values

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add cell spacing/buffers

Is it really that hard to enable cell spacing so that a set amount of white space exists on all 4 sides of cells? Currently, cells are often unreadable and require manual expansions to read the content, and further expanding to make the content easily read. The Excel team should talk to the Microsoft Word team, and offer to buy them a few beers if they share the magical code that allows users to set table spacing. This ability would be epic and super helpful despite the fact that the Excel team must think that this functionality is beneath them…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Regularly post admin updates to the "Top Ideas"

For instance, this idea: https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9769824-have-excel-scroll-better-when-there-are-large-cell, is the third highest voted on this page, and we haven't heard a word from Microsoft since January.

It's frustrating that it hasn't been fixed yet, but it's so much worse not even getting updates.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Option to highlight or shade unlocked cells on a sheet

Set an option for locked cells on a sheet to be displayed in optional highlight or shading. This would be useful for users while working in the sheet, so as to quickly identify input cells on a sheet for example, but optional to be highlighted when printing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. If I am not mistaken, excel currently considers a blank cell the same as a cell with a zero value.

If I am not mistaken, excel currently considers a blank cell the same as a cell with a zero value. This is fundamentally incorrect as zero is a legitimate number. For example Billy may have 3 pencils and Bobby has no pencils. So, Bobby has '0' pencils- not 'blank' pencils. Excel excepts 0 as a first entry- but when linked to a cell it eithers displays all blanks and zeros the same way. This is a problem when a worksheet is set up for 20 children where a report is preset up with links to the number of pencils each…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel Find should highlight field in Neon Green

When I'm using FIND I can't see the cell that's chosen. This has been on my mind to share with you for a while and I didn't know how easy it would be to tell you until now. (Thanks for making this suggestion so easy to post)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Free Training Videos as catch ups

I'm not sure if there is yet, so I apologize for any assumptions. I think some free training vids would be great. I used to work with Excel all the time and I'm sure I could pick it back up. But some refreshers would not hurt either.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Smart excel

Create a smart microsoft excel similar similar to siri or google assistant so we can use excel by voice
    For example we can ask the excell assistant to to the sum of colon c

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Note Box for Excel Sheets

I would love for Excel to have a place for notes. A note box like PowerPoint has would be great for storing information about your data (where it came from, how you calculated it, notes to self, etc.)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. EXCEL RIBBON

MORE OPTION TO CUSTOMIZE,
    - WITHOUT DROPDOWN, I COULD PICK 3 OR 4 COLOR ON THE DISPLAY RIBBON/QUICK ACCESS TOOLBAR.
    - MATCH PROPERTY LIKE AUTOCAD PROGRAM, IT'S REALLY HELPFUL FOR SAVE TIME.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Power Query Search Box

Power Query Search Box that should allow an user to search a list of queries by name, group name or words used in description of a query (in properties). This would be just like the search feature we have to search column/field names in Pivot table field list.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Ability to add notes to a file that does not get sent with a copy....Private notes so to speak.

I would like to make notes on what I did in a spreadsheet but have them only visible to users that have the original copy of the file. My goal would be to have these notes only available if the original file is viewed so if the file is emailed, those notes do not go with the file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base