Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. quick access toolbar

I just got a new computer with Office 2016 and I wish I still had Office 2010 which was on my old computer.

Can I "drop down to 2010 version"? 

How do I do so?

The problem for me is icon size on the QAT. Previously I had 50 icons on Excel QAT and could see all of them when my spreadsheet used about half of my 27" monitor (1920x1080). Now with Office 2016 I can only see 27 in same space.

I really miss being able to have so many icons in QAT. What can I do? There is…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Restore "Copy link to clipboard" function to Office 2016

Excel (and Word) used to have an option, when clicking on the file location, under the document name, on the "File" tab, called "Copy link to clipboard." This would copy and allow pasting of a direct link to the file location. This has been replaced with "Copy path to clipboard," which only copies and allows pasting of the simple file path, and needs to be manually modified, to turn it into a link. The previous version of this function made it much easier to copy links to a document location into other documents, emails, etc. Please consider restoring this functionality.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel 2016 blocks the clipboard for external content (for example CTRL+C from Word)

Experimental setup:
    1. Type “aaa” in a cell
    2. Copy the cell with CTRL+C and paste it into Word with CTRL+V
    3. Then type “bbb” in Word
    4. Copy the “bbb” from Word with CTRL+C
    5. Paste it into Excel with CTRL+V

Bug: The insertion does not show "bbb" (recently taken from Word) as expected, but "aaa" (previously taken from Excel).
    To free the clipboard from the previous "aaa", you have to press ESC first, while being in Excel. After that you can go back to Word and copy "bbb" again, to paste it to Excel.

Second setup, even better: …

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dynamic spell-check on text in unprotected cells in protected sheets.

Make spell-checking dynamic, as in Word. Then ensure that it will run only on unprotected cells. In this way users of forms could get their entries spell-checked whilst ignoring all the fixed text on the form.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Provide a way to revert to the old-style pull-down menus instead of the ribbon as a default option.

Provide an option to replace the ribbon menus with the old-style pull-down menus of Excel 2003.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Data validation drop down lists - extend distance and add mouse scroll

These drop down lists are good for selecting from a large number of inputs, BUT... the area is too small or too short in length. It should be a longer box. Also, why doesn't the mouse scroll work in there. that would help it be more efficient. So make that area longer and add scrolling. Thanks! that would improve it.. not good enough as is.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ability to compare two Excel files

Functionality to compare the open workbook with another Excel file. This would compare values in cells/formatting etc. This will make it really quick and easy to see whether someone else has made any updates to the file and what changes were made. Other software has this functionality and I use it very often so I think it would be really helpful in Excel.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Bring back off-line help for Office 365!

Believe it or not, sometimes people work offline.
    Believe it or not, getting online help can be annoyingly slow.
    So bring back the offline help!!!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. PLEASE ENABLE TURN-OFF OF NEW 'FEATURE' IN EXCEL WHERE THE CELL YOU'VE HIGHLIGHTED WITH CTR+C STAYS HIGHLIGHTED AFTER CTR+V - VERY ANNOYING

The cell stays highlighted now even after you've done ctr+v and it's very distracting. You have to click Esc to get it to stop. This has nothing to do with all the people who have supposedly been asking to keep the clipboard active after clicking Ctrl+v. Since I don't want to see the highlighted cell remain so after pasting, I want to be able to turn off this annoying feature. Or am I missing something?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. When we long press Ctrl+S than it should save all open office files.

When we long press Ctrl+S than it should save all open workbooks (even all MS Office open files like workbooks, word documents, ppt files etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Angeheftete Dateien möglichst wieder alphabetisch sortieren

Wenn ich in Excel auf Datei klicke werden die zuletzt verwendeten Dateien angezeigt, die kann man anheften. Bei Excel 2013 wurden diese angehefteten Dateien ALPHABETISCH sortiert, im neuen Office werden sie dagegen nach ÖFFNUNGS-DATUM sortiert. Bei einer längeren Liste führt das zu einer unnötigen Sucherei. Kann man diese Sortierung nicht wieder auf alphabetisch umstellen. Für mich ist die neue Sortierung eine Verschlechterung!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Make the "Help" helpful

"Help" NEVER gives a helpful answer. I end up having to Google the question, and almost always get the answer from a site other than Microsoft.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Excel: the Cursor should have a feature to highlight the field that is selected.

Excel: the Cursor should have a feature to highlight the field that is selected. As I review my doc, the cursor outlines the cell with green...making it hard to focus/isolate your eyes on one the cell. If the program allowed you to change the option to temporary highlight the cell, as the cursor moves, it would be easier to review docs. Just a thought. Thanks!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Color Coding

Currently, when selecting a color to fill a row, column, cell, etc. you have preset columns to choose from with the option to create your own color. But what if instead of that being the default each user could customize their excel by "Creating a pallet" where the user can select/create the colors AND label them, i.e. Inactive, Active, Need to Verify, etc. then save that pallet as their default for future use across other excel templates. The user should also have the option edit the palette permanently, and to edit the palette for "this excel template only"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Unicode bug - Euro currency symbol "€" looks like "I" instead

the attached screenshot shows how the text "Amount is in €." shows up correctly in the formular bar, but not in the table. In the table, it looks like "Amount is in I."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. tabs for open files

Similar to browser tabs, have tabs for open files. There are third-party tools out there (Office Tab) but is should be built in. Same for Word and PowerPoint btw.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make excel 2017 be able to function and look like ANY older version of excel, because this **** is garbage.

How can I make excel 2017 function and look like ANY older version of excel, because this 2017 **** is garbage. These stupid changes you make are the reason people use OpenOffice and other alternatives.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. MS Excel File password Recovery

Stella data recovery is give is best perfect and quick solution to recover your MS Excel file password recovery Stella data recovery is perfect way to recover your XLS file password we give demo version is free in this version you can see your password first three digit no in demo version if you knowing your password but not confirmed so you can tack the demo version See your MS Excel file password reset your XLS file password

Download this app from here:-

http://recoverexcelfilepassword.stelladatarecovery.com/

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add a search box to the Excel options

We sometimes struggle when we look for a particular option.
    Please make this easier by adding a search box.
    This can be applied to other Office applications.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base