Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Excel as data source for Word mail merge

Using Excel as a data source in a mail merge used to be a seamless event! This is the way it should be. The beauty of Office is that all applications work together EASILY. Please add this to a future update asap. I know I will have many in my organization displeased with this Office 2016 issue.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel files should be considered in Default view when being exported to PDF

In the Current State, When changing Views within excel, this does not prompt a "Would you like to save" on closing.. However which view the document is currently saved in will prevent it from being exported in pdf format. It also prevents PDF Software from acting against it to convert it.

Not sure how to do it, But excel should automatically assume its in Default view when being processed to a PDF. Both in using the Open, Export from the Curtain, or when opened via 3rd party for PDF conversion

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Show effect of Shift key on UI

Many Excel UI elements support hidden features which are activated by holding down the shift key. One example is the find dialog: press the shift key and "Find Next" acts as "Find previous".
    I would like to ask for two things:
    - Update button captions to reflect the new action
    - Add something to the tooltips of controls what happens if shift is pressed when clicked.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Option for 'X' button behavior: whether or not Excel should close when closing the last book

In versions >= 2013, closing the last book by clicking the 'X' top-right button also closes Excel.
    Consequences:
    - It is not always obvious that the last book open is indeed the last one, so Excel closing is unexpected.
    - If working on a hidden macro book or addin, opening and closing another book will close Excel too.
    Note: Currently, if closing the last book thorough the menu File >Close, then Excel does stay open.

Request:
    In Excel > Options, add a user option to choose the behavior:
    - When closing last book, close excel too
    - When closing last…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow Esc to close sidebars

Map Esc to close sidebars like the Share sidebar (Alt Y).

This would be a timesaver.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow loading sequence in Power Query

When you have query2 that depends on query1, query1 needs to complete before query2 loads. Being able to control which query runs first will be useful. Now the workaround is a macro.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. A Back-Step Button on Evaluate Formula

(I previously submitted this but, with the wrong title)

I use the formula editor a lot to troubleshoot long formulas. It would be nice to back-step at least 3 steps from the current step.

Say, I've got a formula that errors out on the 15th step. I have to start all over again to carefully step through again to see what happened. It would be helpful to go back a few steps, then forward again.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Yellow Face

The yellow face is distracting and unprofessional. I am forced to use non-Microsoft products when interacting with the public. It measurably inhibits productivity.

Do you find this acceptable?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Hyperlink Remembers last file location

Please add an option that allows you to select that the hyperlink function remembers last folder browsed to when selecting 'Existing File or Web Page' under 'Link to:' options in the 'Insert Hyperlink' dialog box. This could be a check box on that Insert Hyperlink pop up menu or listed somewhere in 'Options' under 'File'. This would be tremendously helpful when having to hyperlink 'cell to file' where file is located in different folder than the current Excel doc and you have multiple cells and different files that you must do this for.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Multiple desktop flexibility

When you have multiple Windows 10 desktops, and Excel is open on another desktop, and you open Excel in the current desktop, Windows automatically switches to the other desktop, even though I want to open Excel on top of the programs in the current desktop.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Currently in Office 365, there is only one program (that has a link to OneNote, Outlook). Please add this function to Excel & Word

I would like to have the functionality within ALL Office products to be able to Export To OneNote.
    I remember when OneNote first came out and I could not understand the need since I have been using NOTES in Outlook.
    Early last year, I discopvered MANY used for OneNote. It is a great program. It would be faboulous of there were a few more options.
    Yes, I do realize that I am on the Excel Feedback page taking about One Note, but the issue is one that is interwoven.

Thanks, from a decades old user of Office products on both…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. KEEP IT SIMPLE

Please keep excel from growing further. It's a shame to learn where to look for a known function with every release and its a pain that some "new" features clearly show we users are deemed the most stupid being on the planet, since microsoft excel always knows better what and how we want to do it. I'm quite annoyed at all the new cloudy things like "share" that cannot be disabled with reasonable effort. And if you keep going, you push me to use somtehing else.

43 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

26 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Allow user to define defaults for Find and Replace dialog

Make it so you can set default for Find and Replace > options > within:
    The default is worksheet, but I pretty much always use workbook. So I would like to be able to set the default to workbook, so I don't have to change within every time I do a search.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Visual differentiation of 'File' ribbon button

The File ribbon button is unique among the others in that it brings up content pertaining to meta-information about the file and program information/configuration.

I think for this reason is that it should be visually differentiated from the others, for example by making it a different colour.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Scroll in data validation list

I would find very usefull to scroll with my mouse in a data validation list. Today I need to use the scroll bar by clicking on it.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Move or Copy

When attempting to copy a worksheet, the menu always says move or copy. Copy should be a separate option within the menu. It's more frequently used and this second step is annoying.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Make file type icons strong colors and look different from each other for fast visual identification without magnification

Make file type icons strong colors and look different from each other for fast visual identification without magnification

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to add simple custom keyboard shortcuts for favourite functions

Ability to add simple custom keyboard shortcuts for favourite functions (eg paste special values only - I would happily sacrifice an F key).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Distinct Value Check Box in Data Validation

Add a check box in the data validation field to automatically remove any duplicate values in a column. Rather building a formula or having the data validation reference a "list column" so that only the unique values are displayed in a drop-down list for data validation you could add a check box that says to only show unique values in the drop-down list. This would make it easier and faster to create dynamic lists without going through a bunch of extra steps to remove the duplicate values.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Change colour of border of column & rows

In Excel 2016 it is not possible to change the border colour of the columns and rows – in previous versions it was easy to see (e.g. if you were in cell e.g. 'F' '100' the edge/border of the appropriate column & row would be in a sharp colour) but now hardly visible as in grey/green colour which can’t be changed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base