Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow Quick Access Toolbar to Hold Duplicate Commands / Icons (e.g. Borders

Some commands, like the all borders, remember their last used setting.
    It would be nice to have a different button for each board you want to use. Currently, only one border button can be added to the Toolbar,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add a "Presentation" mode to Excel

We often review through large spreadsheets that require tiny text. Most of the time it makes sense to keep these workbooks in a standard table layout where data is in rows, however, it would be nice to have some sort of "presentation" mode (could build off powerpoint) that re-organized the data into a one-row-at-a-time presentation view that doesn't require reorganizing everything by hand.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel spreadsheets should appear in the same location and configuration as when closed as in Excel 2010.

Newly opened Excel spreadsheets should appear in the same location and configuration as when closed just as in Excel 2010

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. How do I know if I already have a One Drive account from your FQA screen? You should have a flip down that tells me what I have or are in a

In your FQA window you want me to sign-up for a One Drive account. Why not put a pull down that tells me what features I already have and one that tells me if I'm on a share list.

If I already have an account and I'm trying to set up a new account the system should inform me of the situation and offer a way to get into the old account. (A method that actually works, and does not stick the user into an endless repeating loop.)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I recommend an export feature for a single cell or a page. What I mean is exporting the data pertaining to one line, so that you have a text

I can't see the forest for the trees. The concept here is when you are trying to get familiar with a bit of data in a sheet, you can make a data chip. Chit. A note. You export a little bit of data as a file, and you have a reminder for a new bit of data you are working on remembering. Export a line of data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Smooth scrolling in excel is must have feature which needs to implement in MS excel.

Smooth scrolling in excel is must have feature which needs to implement in MS excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Option to RE-FREEZE PANEs at Current Cell Location

I'd like to be able to RE-FREEZE PANES at the current cell location instead of having to UNFREEZE PANES and then having to FREEZE PANES again.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Create a popup window for list of items that need to be summarized in a cell

Often there is a need for lists of data that are summarized into larger tables. Although this data can be created on a separate tab, this can be cumbersome when trying to go between tabs to see what the data is. This problem can be mitigated by creating a pop-up window to see the data that is being summarized in the cell. The data would still be stored in a separate tab, but the pop-up window will allow for quick reference to that data. The window would open either with a right-click or just a mouse-over on the cell, much…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create a single view of multiple sheets (using panes?)

I would like to see multiple worksheets in the same window, preferably by setting up viewing panes (similar to Outlook or even VBE).

For instance a user would then be able able to create a view with 3-panes (one left, and the other above-right and below-right). Or a user could have them "snap" into the right positions

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. new window

I really have to give you credit for devising this way to avoid receiving actual feedback. WHY in the WORLD you ever thought restricting Excel to only one window... the only reason I can think that you would do that is that you have only contempt for your users, and want to make using your product as difficult as possible for them. My God, do I HATE you, Microsoft.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Position of Comments/ Notes

The comments in a spread sheet should stay positioned to the parent cells - whenever some rows are deleted. None of the three options are doing that. The attachment with variations - the original , in one I have deleted few rows, in another one column, and in third changed column width - in none of the cases the change was done in the Parent Row/ Column - but the cells changed their position - and the things become worse - much worse - when cells from different areas are deleted.
    Sometimes these columns move 100s of cells away (when…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. WORKSHEET BUTTON size the smallest

reduce WORKSHEET BUTTON size the smallest so that we can view 200 worksheets in a single view rather than scrolling as its creating confusion.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. would love to be able to view another tab of the worksheet on split screen

would love to be able to view another tab of the worksheet on split screen

dual monitors are great but would love to somehow view another tab of the worksheet while working on 1 tab see the other on my other screen

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. The ability to have 2 fill colours, and 2 Font colours on the quick access toolbar

The ability to have 2 fill colours, and 2 Font colours on the quick access toolbar

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Scroll by pixel, not by cell.

If you have large cells, scrolling becomes impossible. The page always snaps to the top of a cell. Even if my cells are small enough for me to read them fully, scrolling through them leaves me disoriented and I keep loosing track where I am on the sheet. I see no reason not to scroll by pixel instead of by cell.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Pin different rows, depending on viewed section of the speadsheet

I got a speadsheet with two blocks of tables, one below the other.
    When i scroll down, I want the first five rows of the first block to be pinned, until I've scrolled down to the second block. As the first row of the second block comes into view I want the first five rows of the second block to the pinned instead of the rows of the first block.

I've seen this several times in webpages, so there're definitely more people who would use this.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Highlight dependent cells used in a formula

When a cell containing a formula is clicked as current cell, it would be great to have all dependent cells highlighted. This would be a great help in editing/checking that correct cells are being used in the formula(s).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Slim tools bars

Like done in Outlook, there could be a slim view of the tools.
    Probably it will be better to customize what buttons the user wants to see there.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Picture in Picture or Cell View mode while in another tab

I usually work with multiple tabs in a workbook. Most of the times, these are linked and have impact on computation in other tabs.

I would like to have ability to show the value of a cell from another tab either as PIP (Picture in Picture) or in a side pane to note impact of any changes in data while working in another tab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When I Freeze Panes can it also set Print Titles and vice-versa if I'm given the choice

When I set Freeze panes can there be a dialog with the same options as the drop down but also a check box to set Print Titles. Therefore I can choose to do both Freeze Panes and Print Titles at the same time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base