Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.

Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.
    In English:
    Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.
    When we right click on the navigation arrows (bottom left corner of Excel), Excel shows us a list of the worksheets sorted by index/position in the workbook.

Suggestion: add a checkbox or a combobox to that dialog box, with a couple more options, like the attached image:
    Index Asc
    Index Desc
    A to Z
    Z to A

This is not to move the sheets around, this is to…

75 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Worksheet navigation shortkey "Activiate"

Right now only option we have to open the activate dialogue box is by using the right click on the mouse. Please add a shortkey or include it the menu option.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Active cell or line remain highlited when sheet isn't active.

I work off a spread sheet while using another application. I highlite the cell or line to help me keep my place. The minute I click on another app the highlite goes away. This drives me crazy.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. "Protect Workbook" icon should be "Unprotect Workbook" when it IS protected by the user with a password to unprotect the Workbook.

"Protect Workbook" icon should be identified as "Unprotect Workbook" when it IS protected by the user with a password to unprotect the Workbook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. You should be able to change the colour of the drop down menu when columns are filtered. The change in icon to a down arrow isn't clear enou

When you have column data filtered the drop-down list icon changes from a bar thingy to a down arrow and funnel, this still isn't clear enough particularly if you have a large number of columns filtered. You should be able to change the colour of the drop down so it stands out more.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Stacked Rows and Columns During Scrolling and Allow Always-on-Top Stacking

Allow individual rows or columns to be checked as 'Stacked' such that they stack together on the edge of the sheet rather than scroll off the screen. Further, the ability to turn on a feature that as new rows/columns join the stack, they appear on top of the stack. Particularly helpful if you have multiple headers and you only want to see the particular one for that portion of the table. It would maximize working area on your sheet by hiding unnecessary rows and columns.
    Freeze panes works ok to freeze a row/column position (eg. D3) but I might only…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Reduce Ribbon Width

Plz reduce the width of the ribbon in all Office apps. It used to be skinnier and take up less screen space, allowing me to see more of my spreadsheet, document, PPT, etc. But now that the buttons in the ribbon are more spaced out, the ribbon is wider and takes up more space. Less of the document/file is displayed on my screen at a time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. PLEASE allow downsizing/scaling of workbook tabs

Tabs could be scaled much smaller while still being legible, allowing visibility of many more tabs when using large workbooks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. office 365 excel single instance

Excel 2010 had a feature "Do not show all windows in taskbar". Restore that deleted feature in Office 365 Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Quick Access Toolbar needs option to be located at the bottom of the screen just above status bar.

Having quick access at the bottom of the screen is consistent with the quick access for Windows. It's current two positions (above or below ribbon at top of screen) are hardly any different. In word, I need to change view modes and that's on the status bar, but in Office 365 there's three arbitrary choices and it's not customizable. If the Quick Access Toolbar could be docked at the bottom of the screen in Word, it could replace that. Change status bar to only show "status" of view mode. We need to put the view mode shortcuts a user actually…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please add an option for smooth scrolling. This is endlessly frustrating.

Please add an option for smooth scrolling. Scrolling by cell is endlessly frustrating.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Visual and Excel school

Um contraste próprio e intuitivo para os deficientes visuais com baixa visão.
    Uma plataforma para as escolas trabalharem o Excel de forma mais educativa, intuitiva e recreativa com crianças.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. cross-hairs style shadow highlighting of the whole row and column for the cell you have selected

Forgive me if this is already a feature I'm not aware of …
    I work on large spreadsheets and always lose my row or column position when moving vertically or horizontally non-sequentially around a worksheet. I have to refer back to the highlighted row or column number to try and figure out where I am which is still cumbersome and leads to much human error and rework.
    A simple fix for this would be to have Excel highlight the row and column for the cell you have selected at the time (like a cross-hairs). I've mocked up a snapshot to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. DO not change too much the UI between version. Each time is more confusing to use office products

When options are change so quickly beteween each version of office products, it makes it harder to find tools you use frequently making you more improductive

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Tabs on the side

I work with loads of tabs and spend too much time scrolling left / right. Can the tabs go on the side of the spreadsheet with a scrollbar? Should be a nice fix that can be made optional for users!

I can imagine huge cost savings for any company using big spreadsheets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. ribbon size

Please allow users to opt for a smaller ribbon. Its actual size (especially after the October update) is fine only if you are working on a full HD monitor.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Sections to workbook for sheets groupping

it is better each Workbook devided to more sections(with right hand tabs like one Note), and each section devided to more WorkSheets. I made an Image in attachment for better understand this idea.
    sections are foe groupping worksheets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Row to Details

It would be great if there was a feature to view the selected row in an Excel spreadsheet as details with column names and values. This can be called Row to Details, which will open a sidebar that shows the field value pairs of an individual row for easy viewing of all the values of a row without scrolling.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base