Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have the option to turn on scroll cross hatch

When working on large spreadsheets it would be good to have a scroll bar on both the rows and columns. The horizontal line would mark what row you were on.
    Likewise, the vertical line would indicate what column the data is in.

The old mainframe terminals used to have that function .

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add the ability to organize sheets in folders inside a workbook

We should be able to create folders inside the workbook to organize sheets better. This could help in a variety of industries, especially for accounting departments.

An example of this idea would be for an accounting department in a company with multiple locations. With folders, you could store transactions for all locations in a single workbook with each location having a folder and and each day in the month having it's own sheet.

It could also be used for a company with a single location but with many employees. You could have a folder for each department in that location…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Let me open two copies of a workbook with the same name. PLEASE

Working on various different clients we often have standardised workbooks names. It would be very useful to be able to compare these quickly without having to save one of them locally under a different names.

Cheers microsoft

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Improve the Go To box or the Name Manager box

Make the Go To box resizable. Then if you have long Names, you can make them visible.
    Add a search field in the Go To box, that shows matching Names as you type (similar to when typing a Formula). Then if you have many Names, you can find them quicker.
    Make it so you can sort the Names list alphabetically or by frequency of use - not sure how it currently sorts, but it doesn't show all names alphabetically sorted.
    Include a column showing Name Comments, so you can see any descriptions of what the Names are for.
    Basically, make…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Remove jump to selected cell when switching workbooks Excel

Currently, when switching between workbooks, when you select a different workbook it will jump to the selected cell, even if you have scrolled to a different location

I suggest removing this function or introduce a shortcut key instead of defaulting this action.

I do not have any use cases where the jump to selected cell is useful, and in fact I find it a major annoyance when scrolling through spreadsheets and finding it will always jump back to some random cell that was last selected rather than where I am currently viewing.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Show cells in relation to other data in a better way

Hi

See screenshot. I'm in a cell with the value 26 112. I want to know if this is casual wages or PAYE and it's not obvious, I have to strain my eye a bit and make sure I follow the cells correctly. Same thing if I want to see other numbers in the same column as the 26 112. If I want to see a number that's15 rows up on the same column, if there's a lot of data, it's really difficult to follow.

So, it would be great if you had a view that highlights all info in…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Simultaneously freeze column and row

I've seen this request back in 2017, but would like to revive it.

I'd like to be able to freeze or split the screen so a column AND row area are frozen simultaneously.
    Say if you currently freeze rows and columns above and to the left of D4. If you start scrolling down, also the content of Columns A-C will move. If you scroll to the right, the content of rows 1-3 will move.
    I'd like for only everything to the right and below D4 to move.
    Probably somebody will tell me to use pivots, but I think this is…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Remove search bar from the title bar; put it back down with the content

The search bar has recently been moved to the title bar. It is in the way, makes it more difficult to manage multiple windows, and feels very out of place. Please put it back down near the content being searched; the title bar needs to remain relatively free of clutter so that one can quickly grab it and move the window, double-click maximize with it, see the document name, etc.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Focus View,

Add a " focus" view where when we position into a cell the rest of the cells from the same row and column get shaded, this way wen can be sure we are in the correct line or column or compare to another data in the same focus area

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. View multiple sheets side-by-side

Having multiple worksheets in one Excel file, it would be nice to view multiple worksheets within Excel at the same time

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Shade the other rows or columns while navigating a specific row/column on a crowded Excel sheet

I have a large worksheet and I often need to scroll right a specific row to find relevant data to that row only. Can you make other rows darker while navigating? Perhaps you can just make the rows not selected a bit darker than the selected row. Same principle may apply to selected columns or even ranges.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Excel viewer for smartphones

Hi, I have Excel for iPhone on my phone but all the functionality included makes it extremely difficult to use in many ways including simply viewing a spreadsheet... could we please have an Excel viewer which has no editing capability but which allows easy viewing of spreadsheets... it should have scrolling and zooming using normal smartphone finger movements and definitely maintain the Freeze Panes settings of the "imported" file...the ability to view spreadsheets using such an app would be hugely better than using the Excel for smartphone app...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. visibility of Page Breaks in Excel

impruve the visibility of Page Breaks in Excel,
    the page breaks need inpruve, the line is so faded

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

19. easy highlight for item's changed and easy check who made the change, like Smartsheet

it would be great to have the feature Smartsheet has to highlight cells that have been changed and by who. in this new world of collaborating on documents, it would be nice to know these.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Preview Linked Cells

When you are trying to view the source of a linked cell, you should be able to see a small, picture-in-picture window showing you a preview of the other sheet/workbook that contains the linked cell. This makes reviewing data extremely simple and allows a peer reviewer to avoid jumping around worksheets/workbooks yet conduct a thorough review of data.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base