Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Context Menu for the "Notes" Feature that Replaced the former "Comments"

Since you decided to call former Comments "Notes", starting in Dec 2018, the least you could do is provide the same easy access to creating and editing the new Notes. The former Comments could be Inserted into a Cell, or Edited within the cell by Right-Clicking (the Context Menu). Now, to insert a simple "Note", you have to navigate to the REVIEW TAB, click the dropdown arrow under Notes, then choose the desired action - very cumbersome if you put lots of notes in a document and have to edit these notes later. In the meantime, I have put the…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. freeze panel

Freeze panel location on cells at each horizontal side edges of large data set, scrolling in between. Picture attached

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to change background colour - white is too bright!

Have an option to change the background colour to something less bright to help those of us with light sensitivity issues or dyslexia - white is too bright!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Dynamic hyperlinks to a place or named range in the document

currently hyperlinks to a place or named range in the document is fixed to a cell address. this needs to change dynamically as rows/columns are added or deleted

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Apply color on columns as well when filtering is enabled

When a filter is enabled, you cannot always see where the filter is switched on. It also gets very difficult when you work with a lot of filters and data.

Please make the column change colour (like the row when a filter is on) so it is easier to see which columns are filtered

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Show Tab Color of Hidden Tabs

It would be helpful to see the color of the hidden tabs when trying to unhide tabs. For example, if I wanted to unhide all tabs colored RED, I would have to unhide everything and then hide the Non-RED tabs again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Sheets could have tags that we can use to provide a more explicit name and which would appear as a tooltip

Sheets could have tags that we can use to provide a more explicit name and which would appear as a tooltip

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add functionality of tabbed workbooks

Would you please add a feature of tabbed workbooks. It would be extremely useful. Please note this is not the same as tabbing worksheets from various workbooks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Show selected cells eben when working in another screen.

The cell selection should NOT disappear when the user switches to another window. Nowadays more and mor people in an efficient environment are working with more than one application at the same time.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Temporarily Isolating multiple columns or rows of interest

Being able to select two distance columns on a page and then selecting an option to temporarily "isolate" those columns from the sheet would be very helpful. That way you can work on just those two columns without the clutter of the others or having to spend more steps to hide what you don't want to see for the time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Better defined scrolling areas

Make scrolling areas stand out more so it makes scrolling easier

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. When clicking find next for a crtl f, highlight the row of the show all drop down as you click through. Rather than only highlighting it whe

When clicking find next for a crtl f, highlight the row of the show all drop down as you click through. Rather than only highlighting it when selecting from the dropdown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Tabs: Allow Visual Tab Names & Numerical Tab Names for each Tab for Cell Reference Purposes (Shorten Formulas).

It would be great if you could reformat the Tab layout. For Example, It would be helpful to have the name of the Tab at the top and under a brief description of the tab in small format. This would be great, because I could then name my tabs based on a simple convertion (e.g. numerically), so that I don't have extremely long and touch-to-navigate formulas with cell references on various tabs (Instead, I would see the Tab Name (1, 2, etc) within the formula. However, this would allow me to still view the descriptive Tab Name in Excel (e.g.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Hide the Collapse/Expand Group "1" and "0" Buttons on the top left of spreadsheets to create more viewable, useable space.

Usable/viewable space is very important in Excel. I can spend hours making sure all my data fits into view. Please create a solution that would hide the "Show Detail" and "Hide Detail" 1 and 0 buttons that appear on the top left of a worksheet with grouped columns/rows.

Whenever you have grouped cells in a spreadsheet, the buttons automatically appear to the top/left of Cell A1 so that you can select the 1 button to collapse grouped rows/columns and the 2 button to expand grouped columns/rows.

However, the inclusion of these 1 and 0 buttons widens the grayed out space…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Excel 3D

it is better each Workbook devided to more sections(like one Note), and each section devided to more WorkSheets. I made an Image in attachment for better understand this idea.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. text box bullet points

The text box feature is useful for posting instructions to users of a Workbook. I would like to see it able to use bullet point formatting. Currently, it seems like the paragraph wrap-around does not work properly after editing.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. iNSERTING WORD AND PDF DOCUMENTS INTO EXCEL

On the next update, can you find an improved way to import Word and PDF files as a tab in Excel? I am importing them as "Import - Object" in the Text group. When you do this, they come out as this blurry image that isn't that readable. Maybe I don't know the best way to import these kind of documents into Excel, but: given that Word is one of your products I would think there would be a better way to view this file in Excel. That is the great aspect of using all products from one company.

Thanks…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Why don't you have any purchase orders forms? I don't understand

A business purchase order to order supplies from another vender

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Freeeze panes stuck

I am using a Shared Excel Professional Plus 2016 file to collect info on a network. I have to freeze panes and filter so that the users see the cells to which I need the input made to. It works for a while, even on my PC, but then it gets stuck such that I have to unfreeze and set the freeze panes again. Other users face the same sooner or later, they unfreeze too and entries get done elsewhere. Is this a bug? Please resolve.

I had posted this on the discussion forum with the subject, Freeze panes gets…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base