Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. If in excel file more than 1 sheet, then when open excel something highlight or any pop up show for other sheet, It is better for read all d

If in excel file,more than 1 sheet, then when open excel and shoe something highlight or any pop up show for other sheet, It is better for read all data.
    Like, pop up sheet color highlight or anything. See attached.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Separate and small screen to appear (with data nearby cells) while I use a cell reference or value to find something

If we can have a small excel screen to show separately with all data nearby while we use a cell reference or value to find something, this will help to edit, view data in an another part of a big excel file from anywhere in an excel sheet.

This will avoid us moving back and forth between cells or cell range where we are working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Option to show comments indicator, but not automatically popup the comment on hover or select.

Add an option to show the comments indicator, but not pop-up on hover. Instead show indicator and then include a right click option within the cell to show the comment popup. That way comment popups don't show up on hover at all, but an indicator shows that a comment is present. It enables the ability to selectively show a comment instead of always showing a comment when one selects or hovers on a cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Build in a floating ruler / reading guide that acts like a ruler on a piece of paper, it might be movable up / down by using up / down arrow

Build in a floating ruler / reading guide that acts like a ruler on a piece of paper, it might be movable up / down by using up / down arrow

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Show Pinned not Recent on excel startup

Upon opening excel it use to show pinned files alphabetically with recent files below by date and time. Now the tabs are separate and when excel opens is displays recent not pinned, I have to click on pinned to get that list. Make a General Option to open to recent or pinned based on user preference.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Excel Active versus Inactive worksheet

When working in excel in different worksheets the active worksheet should have a different color for the active bar. Bold is a help but not as easily recognized as a active tile bar color would be.

Please have a different color for the active worksheet bar than the inactive worksheet title bar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. menus wider e.g. Windows or File with names truncated

see attached - i've got 5 files open with different suffixes... which is which!?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Please bring back the shortcut for going to the formula bar (used to be Ctrl+A)

Please bring back the shortcut for jumping to the formula bar (it used to be Ctrl+A but was replaced by "select all"). I use the keyboard almost exclusively and was overjoyed to discover Ctrl+A to jump to formula bar when editing a formula (followed by Ctrl-Shift-U to make the formula bar bigger). But now Ctrl+A has been removed. I see quite a few people asked for "select all" to be brought in, which is fine, but please reassign "jump to formula bar" to another shortcut. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. see all sheet names

Why there is no option for seeing all sheets in a lump? I think, there should be an option in the triple dots (as in the photo) for seeing the other sheets' names. When I click that triple dot, I need to see the names of hidden/unseen sheets' names.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. How to change Cursor cell color(In excel work book) in office 365. micro soft was given light green color for cursor cell , because im unabl

How to change Cursor cell color(In excel work book) in office 365. Micro soft was given light green color for cursor cell , because i'm unable to find that cursor was where is put. It's cursor cell identification was very problematic without use arrow Keys. So Please help me how to change Cursor color in excel work book

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. highlight the cell you are currently working into make it easier to know where you are

Greying of the cell you are working in would make it easier to know where you are. Currently the cell has a coloured boundary and an indicator, but when you are scrolling it is sometimes difficult to see this. I know the line number and column number/name are highlighted on the side and on the top. but as a user I normally focus on the cell and only use the side and top to confirm. An extra physical function that would not be necessary. For your consideration. Maybe its already there and I can't find it :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show multiple sheets att once like browser tabs

It would be nice if we could see the contents of multiple sheets at once. I would like to edit one sheet and simultaneously watch the contents of the other sheet.
    Ideally, you could split, move & merge tabs back like browser tabs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. improve

you should improve it . many times opening after can use it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Sheet search option

When no of sheets are more it is useful when search sheet option is there

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Move through cells by using Ctrl+Right/left arrow.

In office 2010 and (standard) 2016, one could instantly move through cells by using Ctrl+Right/left arrow. But in office 365, it does not move instantly which strain eye. So can i enable instant move in excel 365.

For example, if i want to move from cell A1 to AZ 1 in a row having data from A1 to AZ1 then when i press Cltr+right, cursor goes to cell AZ1 but not instantly but like a fast moving object which strain eyes. In office 2010 and office 2016 standard, i could instantly move from A1 to AZ 1 without even realizing…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. be able to expand the ribbon boxes

The ribbons are great, but it would be good to be able to expand the boxes. When working on some worksheets you can expand it to the functions that you need and then collapse it back afterward.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Right click menu size

Hello,
    Right click menu (context menu) is very big since some of all those updates...

Looks like its designed for touch interface but i've mouse interface enabled.

On my 14 inch fullHD screen default right click menu takes almost all screen height! See link - https://i.imgur.com/aQNS7mm.png

Why do we need this 4 mm margins above and below each menu item?

Please make it smaller when mouse interface is enabled.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Protected and hidden content in an excel file is visible when opening in a smartphone.

Protected and hidden content in an excel file is visible when opening in a smartphone (iPhone 5s), ipad 2

Steps 1: Excel file was created with few columns hidden and worksheet was protected.

Step 2: File was sent through email

Step 3: File was open through the email, in a smart phone and also in ipad.

Output: The file showed the hidden content. Luckily, the file was verified before sending to public.

Hidden content doesn't fully work with all devices.

It works perfect where microsoft office is installed. If microsoft office ios not there in any device the system somehow…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. have a button on the viewing tab that will lead you through every feature

and be able to select which feature that you need explained

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. UI Improvements in minimizing the space for New Quick Access Toolbar which hides the file name and Saved status

Can you change the UI for quick access toolbar and status to show notification of saved file to sharepoint

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base