Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make column snapping able to be toggled

I'm incredibly annoyed by how the left side constantly aligns to the closest column side when I'm scrolling horizontally. It's much easier for me to see my information correctly without the row numbers right next to all of my labels and equations.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Arrange all automatically update after closing file

When files have been arranged using 'Arrange all', make it so that if one or more is closed they reset to fill the screen again with the remaining open files (ie effectively redo the 'Arrange all' automatically). This sometimes happens, but it seems to be random, and I can't find a setting to make it the default.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Worksheet tabs after latest update to W10, seem set in a larger font size. Changing font size seems no longer possible.

Need to be able to change font size of tabs to worksheets. Current sizing is set too large and intrusive,

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Bring back tighter spacing to Open and Save As screens under File. Also, enable mouse scrolls to move up/down the list of files/folders.

A recent update increased the spacing in the open files and save as dialogs in the File screen area. This greatly reduces the number of visible files. I have around 10 pinned files and now I can't see the files recently used without manually clicking the scroll bar.

Also, fix the workbooks and folder sections to have the mouse scroll up/down the list of files/folders. Currently, the mouse scrolls the entire screen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Make CTRL+D,CTRL+R, CTRL+DOWN, CTRL+UP aware of neighbourhood column

Hi,

Unfortunately you have to do that monkey job all the time:

1. Go to the first cell of nearest column

2. Go to the last cell of nearest column by CTRL+DOWN

3. Go to the last cell of needed column

4. Go to the first cell of needed column by CTRL+UP

5. Hit CTRL+D and finally see result.

You can do the same with simply double click on 1st cell corner.

Many of advanced excel users using keyboard shortcuts extensively so you need to switch to the mouse all the time you want to fill formulat down.

I know that using tables you can…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add Global Option to view page breaks in normal view

You currently allow users to set an advanced option to view page breaks in normal view for only 1 worksheet at a time. This is cumbersome when working in workbooks with multiple worksheets. I want the ability to set this option globally for all worksheets in the workbook and automatically for all workbooks that I create.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add "Go To Special -> Previous Cell" with cell history.

Navigating a workbook would be easier with a "Go To Previous Cell"

Add the ability to Go To Special for "Previous Cell" as far back to when the workbook was opened, or alternatively, to a user defined history setting in Excel's Advanced->Editing Options->Display Options for this workbook (e.g. Keep Cell History {all, or user entered numeric value})

Additionally, provide a dropdown list of the cell history that can be added to the quick access toolbar, for rapid selection of previously selected cells.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Reduce space between command icons in Quick Access Toolbar

I have 40+ such icons on the Quick Access Toolbar for Excel & Word but with the October 2019 update, some of them have been relegated to an overflow toolbar because of the extra space between the icons. Please eliminate that extra space between the command icons in Quick Access Toolbar!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. In the Queries & Connections pane, keep the vertical scroll bar visible regardless of horizontal scrolling

Currently, the vertical scroll bar in the Queries & Connections pane can be scrolled in and out of sight using the horizontal scroll bar. Please lock the position of the vertical scroll bar so that its visibility is unaffected by horizontal scrolling.

To be clear, I am not saying that the vertical scroll bar should always be visible. It should continue to not appear unless there are more queries or connections than the pane can show.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. KEEP UNFOCUSED WORKBOOK ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED

OPTION TO KEEP ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN UNFOCUSED AND IN ANOTHER APPLICATION

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Bring back 2016 Ribbon format & colors

Is it Microsoft's intent to intentionally make Excel more difficult to use? It seems that is the case.
    For example, my latest edition August 2019 is missing the ribbon colors. I may have not noticed when they disappeared, but I know there were there some time ago. I have attached a screen shot from this link ( https://support.office.com/en-us/article/show-the-ribbon-26abd81c-b5ab-47a5-aabc-a9e5255862f4 ) to illustrate what the ribbon tab used to look like. Now it is even more difdficult to read the ribbon. WHY? WHY? WHY? is Microsoft messing with stuff that works instead of enhancing the product???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. We need to be able to freeze more than one column at a time!

Need to be able to freeze more than one column at a time, or Column and a line. EG: annual spreadsheet has months across top and left hand column has details input so when you are scrolling across the months your detail col should stay visible, otherwise you waste so much time chasing back & forward to see where you are working.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add options to Object Properties for more flexibility in interactive dashboards

I'll clarify what I'm asking for and follow up with example of why:

Object Properties currently have 6 available options:

3 Radio buttons:
    1. Move and size with cells
    2. Move but don't size with cells
    3. Don't move or size with cells)

3 checkbox buttons
    1. Print object
    2. Locked
    3. Lock text

I'd like to see a couple more options added:
    1. Move and size with cells (vertically)
    2. Move and size with cells (horizontally)

Here's an example of why:

I have begun implementing complex, self-service tools based in excel, using PQ and PP to deliver the data…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 2 or 3 levels of workbook (not worksheet) protection...

Just as there should be multiple levels of protection for each cell on a worksheet...

(see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/38828236-multiple-levels-of-worksheet-protection-for-each-c)

there should also be multiple levels of protection for the workbook. ie: the Structure and Window options in the 'Protect Workbook' dialog just don't cut it.

I need the ability to specify exactly which features or options are locked down when a workbook is protected.

Example: I often want to allow a user to be able to hide any particular worksheet but not be able to delete it. When I lock down the workbook to prevent them from deleting it, well... they…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. View two different worksheets from the same file on two different screens

I want to compare two tabs on the same file but the only way to do that is to copy one of the sheets to another workbook and view on two different screens. I would like to use the side by side feature but within the same workbook and be able to view on two monitors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. VBA: color of current module

I can hardly see on which module I'm working at any given time. The selected module uses a light gray color. A night green or yellow will help a lot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. New Window (Alt-WN) Should not toss frozen cells and hidden gridlines

Why, oh why, when I open a new window of an existing workbook (i.e. using Alt-WN), does the new window toss all of my frozen panes and hidden gridlines. Why, this infuriating, awful non feature!

I work with large financial models which I lay across 2 or more screens - each time I open new windows I have to laboriously re-set frozen panes! it is a total waste of time!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Find links to external references reporting data validation sources

your page "https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Find-links-external-references-in-a-workbook-fcbf4576-3aab-4029-ba25-54313a532ff1" does not mention a link to an external reference as a named range in case the reference is linked to a data validation source. Ctrl-f does not find such cell(s).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base