Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Calibrate vertical scroll bar to display active rows in worksheet: click scroll bar for desired row.

Calibrate vertical scroll bar to display active rows in worksheet. Always have the slider located exactly in the middle of the scroll bar. Instead of using the slider just click on the approximate row number you want above or below the slider. Once scroll bar is clicked slider will locate to selected approximate row and scroll bar will display active rows above the slider and the active rows below the slider. If implemented I personally will save lots of scrolling time in my worksheets that average over 8000 active rows.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. An active sheet bar.

I work with 10s of sheets in my workbook and switching between them is difficult and it breaks the flow of your work.

When I scroll on the sheet bar. Instead of the current sheet the sheet bar should move (left/right) so switching between a lot of sheets becomes easy.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make Clear Filter and Sort State active even when the Workbook/Sheet is protected

Currently, the Clear Filter is disabled in a sheet that is in protected mode. It would be great if that would be active so you could clear ALL filters in a single click.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Shortcut to Exit Split Screen for all Windows

It would also be nice to have a shortcut to simply return both windows to regular view at the same time.

Now you have to escape the view in one document, go back to the other one, and repeat the process.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Split Screen--Change Documents/Windows

When you place two documents/windows in a split screen, if you want to replace one of them with another, it seems you have to escape the Split Screen Mode for both and start from scratch.

There seems to be no way to bypass that, close one window and open another in its place.

It would be good if they would provide this in the system!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Disable F1 help menu

F1 is often pressed accidentally because it is next to F2. F1 is of no use to advanced users and there is no rapid way of closing the menu that opens. It would be a huge improvement if users can disable the F1 button somehow.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Last sheet

Add a keyboard shortcut to navigate to the last used worksheet.
    Ideally the 'previous sheet' object would be per workbook.

I have this as a macro set to Alt+ Caps (plus code to revert the capslock state so that it doesn't change) so I know its possible but I think this would be very useful for others.

This is extremely useful in general, but especially so in a workbook with lots of tabs where you would otherwise have to scroll through the tab list.

Pressing alt+Caps multiple times switches back and forth between 2 sheets (i.e. it doesn't keep cycling…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Center the view while zooming around the position of the cursor

It is utterly annoying that the position of a worksheet when zooming does not centre on the position of the cursor - most other apps do - eg, AutoCAD, Ifranview. PowerPoint suffers from this issue. The problem is that with a large spreadsheet, zooming in on a desired location requires zooming and then panning with those stupid scroll bars.

This issues was previously registered here and voted up considerably (according to Google), however Uservoice now report that link as "Deleted" - why? The issue is still present in the latest Excel app.

htt_____www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjzkrK39roAhUWxDgGHbnzDvQQFjAAegQIARAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fexcel.uservoice.com%2Fforums%2F304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application%2Fsuggestions%2F31936738-keep-the-center-of-the-view-while-zooming-add-an&usg=AOvVaw13SXsHUIY2giXrXHavpYV

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. be able to dock a book

be able to dock a book or page to your desktop (just like with OneNote) for easier access and work ability

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Active Cell - Highlight or grid mark

Sometimes it hard to find your location on a sheet so it would be nice to have an option that once ticked, it will draw row and/or column lines around the active cell or highlight the active cell for you. The addone in this link used to do such a job http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm but it does not work in office 365. This option should be inbuilt in the view ribbon. One should be able to set it for specific excel files only but each time you open a file the default setting you selected should apply.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. GET YOUR DOPEY_FUCKING_TEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOU_FUCKED_UP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKING_BAD_ALREADY.

GET YOUR DOPEYFUCKINGTEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOUFUCKEDUP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKINGBADALREADY. DOES YOUR SHITWARE ADD-IN REALLY DO ANYTHING USEFUL OTHER THAN OBSCURE OR HIDE THE ACTUAL ACTIONS I AM LOOKING FOR? ******** MICROSOFT,SUCK MY FUCKINGDICK.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Kindly incorporate a way to higlight my entire current row and coloum of a active cell.

A similar kind of functionality is built into KU Tools adinn. I have attached screen shot for reference..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Give an open workbook/worksheet focus to scroll without having to click on it

When you have multiple workbooks open, you must actually click n the workbook you want to scroll within before the mouse scroll wheel will act on it. Most other Windows in Windows 20 will accept scroll commands simply by hovering on them. Can Excel behave in the same way, providing scroll input based on mouse cursor position?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. It would be great if I could use CTRL+F to do a search on two or more worksheets independetly. It now works only on the workbook in focus.

Basically I need more than one instance of CTRL+F to search for different terms in different worksheets at the same time. As it is, a second CTRL+F will overwrite the previous search term.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Freeze panes: enter rows and columns in a dialog box

If you need to freeze rows and columns, you must know, that you have to selct a certain cell.
    I'd prefer a procedure analogous setting print titles: a dialog box, that allows you to enter rows and columns for the freezing

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Have a quick way to reverse the tabs in a workbook.

You have a monthly sales report sheet that has been added to the end of a sales workbook. After several years you have a long way to scroll to get to the latest reports. It would be nice to be able to SORT the sheet tabs from A to Z or from Z to A quickly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Add "Tab Color" Option but for When you have Multiple Files Open

I usually have 5-10 Workbooks open because of the nature of my work, and usually the thumbnails look exactly the same (just rows of data). I'd like to be able to "tab color" them slightly (like just a yellow or pink or green or blue semi shade--opaque to still see the document though) to be able to quickly distinguish between each when working between a ton of documents. I want to right click the window and have the option to color it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to highlight the row or cell where your cursor is located.

Currently there is only a line around the row number or the cell.

E.g., you are on row 12 or on row 12, column L, the entire row or a cell will highlight in a pale color different than the worksheet. This would work well for those who have 10 or more columns going across. The end-user could choose a color and it could be a toggle for those who do not opt to have the row/cell highlighted.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Please don't scroll around when I turn AutoFilter on or off.

this is a relatively recent regression in Excel (it did not used to happen). If your workbook has more columns than fit on the screen, turning AutoFilter on or off will cause your scroll position to move and you lose your spot. This should not happen.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base