Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Scroll by pixel, not by cell.

If you have large cells, scrolling becomes impossible. The page always snaps to the top of a cell. Even if my cells are small enough for me to read them fully, scrolling through them leaves me disoriented and I keep loosing track where I am on the sheet. I see no reason not to scroll by pixel instead of by cell.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add Workbook Cross Reference Function

I like Excel's Trace Dependants and Trace Precedents feature. Please improve upon this ability with a CrossReference(Range) function that produces a cross reference showing every cell in the Range and where that cell is referenced by a formula.

I know we can do this with the Find feature, but it would be easier to get a cross reference for every cell in the sheet, rather than having to search for this on a cell by cell basis.

Cell ID Location 1 Location 2 Location n
    A1 B1 B2 …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create a function that brings precedents within a formula into view when the precedent cell is selected within the formula.

Macabacus offers this, but for some reason, the download is not working with Excel 2019. PLEASE create this functionality or just buy Macabacus. So much time is saved. All I needed to do with Macabacus is click on a long formula, and press the up and down keys to select a reference cell, and then like magic, I'm brough to that reference cell on a different tab, where I could do the same thing. It's very helpful for auditing. PLEASE ADD.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Shortcut to prompt dropdown of tab names to scroll though and select

Shortcut to prompt dropdown of tab names to scroll though and select. If you have multiple tabs, you can right click to on the left/right tab scrolling arrows (located on the bottom left of the spreadsheet, to the left of the first tab name), which then promps a dialog box that lists all the tab names that you can scroll through and select. I often over 30 tabs so I have to right click on the left and right arrows whenever I want to select a specific tabs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. cascaded windows option

I would like to be able to change the spacing for cascading windows or be able to overlay all windows in the same position.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Smooth scrolling in excel is must have feature which needs to implement in MS excel.

Smooth scrolling in excel is must have feature which needs to implement in MS excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. После последних обновлений Office 2016 Excel закрывается после нажатия на ссылку в документе.

После последних обновлений Office 2016
    Excel закрывается после нажатия на ссылку в документе.

После нажатия на ссылку в документе, Excel закрывается и открывается снова, без уведомлений об ошибке. До обновлений таких проблем небыло. теперь невозможно перейти по ссылке в документе Excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. On the View -- View side by side option

Make the Synchronous Scrolling an OPTION instead of a Default setting. I rarely use it in synchronous mode. Moreover, If I'm comparing a short file to a large file, it will take me to the end of both wasting extra time in trying to get back to where I was when I hit View side by side. It would also be nice if excel didn't try to determine where you are in a file to view. It should bring up both at the point you had them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Worksheets undocking.

It would be nice if individual worksheets in an Excel file could be undocked for editing. That would be a cool feature.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable New Window Independent Formats and Filters

When selecting New Window, enable the new window to have its own set of independent formats and filters. For example, I would like to hide some columns in the second window while leaving them unhidden in the first window.

Additionally, I would like to filter the rows in the second window without affecting the first window.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ribbon icons are too large in O365

Users need to be able to determine the size of the ribbon icons. We don't want to collapse and the mouse/touch thing isn't the issue. I'm looking at my Excel screen and see jumbo size icons. It's the equivalent of being given a box of 8 fat crayons.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Can you bring back multiple files in 1 (one) window? This would greatly help keep the desktop clean and organized

Can you bring back multiple files in 1 (one) window? This would greatly help keep the desktop clean and organized

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Users should be able to access their files faster after you hit Open and then hit Browse. It is so sloooow! One person told me it is Bios.

Users should be able to access their files faster after you hit Open and then hit Browse. It is so sloooow!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Reference R1C1 in the list of commands for the QAT

Sometimes it's interesting to display number as column header instead of the letter.
    The only way to do that now is to change the options Formula to R1C1
    I would like to toogle the reference of my workbook by adding an option in the Quick Access Toolbar. But this option doesn't exist yet.

So please vote for this idea is you want to toogle quickly the reference A1 to R1C1

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Cross positional orientation in Excel.

Please create a pointer position (the cross position in the entire row and column) for orientation in Excel. - see picture
    Position history with the ability to go back to the previous position in table. Inserting the sum from the status bar into the clipboard.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Highlight dependent cells used in a formula

When a cell containing a formula is clicked as current cell, it would be great to have all dependent cells highlighted. This would be a great help in editing/checking that correct cells are being used in the formula(s).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Allow multiple files to open with one Excel instance.

In order to increase productivity, and to improve visual efficiency, please allow multiple files to open in one window (instance) of Excel. The ribbons and menus take up too much display space.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Some documents make scrollbars and tabs disappear, and every time I have to make them visible again.

Some documents make scrollbars and tabs disappear, and every time I have to make them visible again by going to option->advanced->scroll all down and cklick three checkboxes. I don't want to do all the work of going to that hidden option checkbox to make them visible again. Is there any possibility to block this "feature" or to have only one click make them visible again?
    In fact, why does this feature exist?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Icon showing a OneNote notebook is being used to take notes for a workbook

Want the ability to see if there are notes taken in OneNote linked to an open workbook in Excel. Of course contingent upon permissions of the creator of the notebook etc...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base