Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. See the result of Offset defined ranges

Offset is a very useful function, but perhaps my biggest frustration with it is that I can't visually see what cell (or cells) it's grabbing. If, for example, when you're manually evaluating the formula, excel could highlight the range that it's grabbing, that would be "excel"lent.
    Or, if the formula bar can auto-detect that an offset is present, then you could hit F2 twice or shift+F2 to make it evaluate what rows are being grabbed and highlight them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Ability to remove drop shadow at the workbooks edge.

Ability to remove drop shadow at the workbooks edge in order to blend cell color into the application background.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make the Enter/Cancel box larger on screen.

Make the Enter/Cancel box larger on screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. this version seems to be slower than previous version

I like my windows Vista version that I purchased much better

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Align "Italian" keyboard shortcuts to English

Since with Excel 2016 many "Italian" keyboard shortcuts are not valid any longer and have been changed to others, why not aligning them to the English shortcuts?
    E.g.: previous Italian shortcut for "Find" was CTRL+SHIFT+T
    Now it is SHIFT+F5 or CTRL+SHIFT+F
    Why not changing it to CTRL+F as for the English version?
    And same for all other shortcuts.
    Many Thanks
    Best Regards
    Marco

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Capability to resize Title bar, Tab names (of masked Ribbon) and Quick Access Toolbar

Hello,

Moving from Excel 2013 to 2016 lead to loose 1+ raw (same zooming) because Title bar, Tabs of masked Ribbon and Quick access bar are higher. This is a problem at least for these reasons :
    - Sheets sized to fit a sceen (2013) ... don't fit any longer
    - Screens height became smaller with 16/9 (cinema format) pushing us to scroll and scroll...Various bars (Title, Quick Access, Menu..) are now taking more space see hard copy leading us to scroll even more !

It would be great to be able to resize (height, text and icons) these bars…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Function Syntax

I am applying formulas in excel by viewing the syntax which always
    For example : Sumif(range,criteria,[sum range])

Everytime you press "," it highlighting in Bold which criteria you are mentioning.
    Now recently what I have found that if any sheet name contains any "," in it and you are applying the formula(example : sumif) from it, then it will not showing all syntax.

Not sure if this is correct forum. but just found this issue and what to share if we can remove this bug.

Regards,
    Rajender

Regards,
    Rajender

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. See cell actual data when hover the indexed name on the Formula tab

It would be really awesome when you're writing a very long formula that involves the data of several cells to see the actual data of a cell, when you hover over it name on the formula tab, so you know what you're doing without leaving the formula tab and navigating a very long sheet to see if that was the data you were trying to use.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. When you go to the "move or copy" tab icon, it would be easier if that drop down list included the highlights that I've added to each tab.

When you go to the "move or copy" tab icon, it would be easier if that drop down list included the highlights that I've added to each tab.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow personalized tab display

Allow for drag and drop of tabs from standard horizontal view (like Windows Taskbar) to vertical view (kind of like OneNote).

My boss is tab happy and I often have to keep selecting move over to see the names. Often, I have to then go back to find what I need. A list display on the right or left would allow me to quickly jump (and it would be a cleaner look).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. New Slicers - combo boxes and an option for cascading slicers.

Sometimes slicers take up too much screen real estate or have too many members which hinders the UI experience. Searchable combo boxes and a cascading option where slicers only appear if a parent slicer was first selected would help address this and give more option to designers for creating a better experience.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to zoom (or set zoom) when embedding a spreadsheet in an iframe

When i embed a spreadsheet, that resides in sharepoint, using the <embed> option from O365, I should be able to specify a zoom factor, or make the spread sheet scale with the size of the /iframe

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Word Processor sheet in a workbook

I often have to include extensive notes, or an introduction to explain the use or purpose of a spreadsheet.
    It would be good if there was a type of worksheet that could be inserted that was basically just a Word document.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. New Window Maintain Zoom Level

Duplicate the Zoom Level from the active window when I click on New Window. Currently jumps to 100%.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Ctrl+Tab to switch between worksheets (2)

Re the earlier idea being declined.

Ctrl+ page up/down only cycles sequentially thru sheets.

What was asked for was the ability to toggle between the two last opened sheets, regardless of where they are situated relative to each other.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Switch to previous tab by clicking currently active one (as an option).

After (temporary) jump to some tab (sheet) in the same workbook, often I would like to return to the previously active sheet. So I need to look for the proper tab and not always it's easy. It would be much easier to activate the previous one just by clicking currently active tab. This feature could be optional.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. A feature to find same text (tag) in a target document (without using hyperlinks) based on selected cell in source sheet

Usually in testing and may be in other areas, we map our test cases (in source workbook) to test conditions ( in target workbook). The available options to give reference or hyperlinks is not only cumbersome but is also error prone if changes are made in target workbook. I created a simple macro today that takes the target file location reference in source file and than based on which cell a user has selected in source sheet, by clicking on macro, it will take me to the cell with same tag name in target sheet. What it means is we…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Option to allow overlapping window to always be on top

When working with overlapping windows of excel it would advantageous if we had the option to treat them like shapes and layer them so that you could work on a window that sits in the back while watching the effect it has on a smaller window that sits on top/in the front. The current set up always bring forward the most active window.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Let Smart Lookup query against Sharepoint or other data sources

Right now it is limited to Bing, but I'd like to be able to have it query other data sources.

This was an idea that came out of the Excel User Group Meetup.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Fix scrollbars in Excel 2013 for large files

Enabling filtering on two columns of a worksheet with around 15 columns and about 450,000 rows causes the scroll bar to break. The scroll bar reduces in size to the filtered range but it cannot be used to scroll to the bottom of the worksheet. The only way to get to the bottom is to click in a cell and arrow down or use page down. This makes it very difficult to select the desired range since page down moves the currently selected cell preventing a shift-click from adding cells off-screen to the selection. If I can open a csv…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base