Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make CSV column width match text length by default

I'm thrilled that you've finally fixed some longstanding Excel CSV annoyances lately (the data loss nag and UTF-8 support), but there's one more that still bothers me -- when opening a CSV file in Excel, the columns are always the same fixed ~16 character width, and usually have to be expanded to be viewed. Office should try to size columns to match the width of the data by default.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. "grey-out" a tab if it doesn't have content

change the tab appearance based on whether there is content or not. By default, a new excel file has three worksheet tabs. Not everyone re-names a tab when adding content. This sometimes leads to not noticing content on eg. "sheet 2" or "sheet 3".

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Rolling freeze panes

A rolling frozen pane option that allows you to freely scroll up to the top, but keeps at a minimum the chosen header row.

E.g. if row 20 is the headers of the data, you freeze this row. As you scroll down rows 1:19 disappear until only row 20 always remains showing. As you scroll back up, when you get to the top of your data it starts scrolling back into rows 1:19.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Clearer per-worksheet setting in View menu

In View>Show, 'Formula Bar' is a global setting whereas 'Gridlines' and 'Headings' are per-worksheet settings.

However, there is no visual indication of this in the menu, or anywhere else. There should be, because the way they are currently arranged in the same section suggests they would behave in the same way across worksheets/workbooks whereas they don't.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Let me OPEN MY DOCUMENTS!!!!!!!!

My idea is to go back to where you can double click on a document and it opens! Wow! How easy would that be? I currently have a document that I've tried to export and save over 5 times! At first I deleted them because they wouldn't open. However, I now think it is Excel and not the file (a comma delimited file) or the system I'm exporting from. I can see it on my computer but I can't open it. When I try to open, I get taken to a blank page and I have to then go to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Bug in Excel 2016 Search Acknowledgement Window

Keep resultant search results acknowledgement window on top.

Resultant window containing the 'OK' button that is displayed when search is unsuccessful is not accessible after navigating away from Excel and then returning. Steps to recreate:
    1. Open Excel sheet with data
    2. CTL+F to search.
    3. Search for data that doesn't exist in spreadsheet
    4. Window opens indicating 'We couldn't find what you were looking for.' 'OK' button displayed. DO NOT CLICK OK button.
    5. Leaving that window open, navigate to/open a different app (Outlook, Word, etc.)
    6. Return to Excel
    7. Window containing 'OK' button to acknowledge unsuccessful search…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Please ugrade fitur 1 excell window can display some spread sheet (office 2016), like ms excell 2010

Please give fiture similar with Ms excell 2010 when we open some spread sheet in one windows. It's more effective for us if some spread display only one windows.

In Ms office excell 2016, when we opened 2 files, its will be display in 2 windows

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Access to New Window command from the Tabs on a Worksheet see ideas below

On worksheet tabs add "New Window" as an option on the right-click menu.

Dragging the tab off the worksheet could be used to create a new window as well.

Dragging the tab of the worksheet causes a menu to pop up with three options: Open New Window, Copy to New Workbook, Move to New Workbook.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Naming/Save As when moving sheet to new workbook

When moving or copying a sheet to a new workbook, the new workbook is called "Book1". When I name the workbook to save it, I would like to see what the sheet itself is named so I can base the name off of that, but instead I just see the "Save As" screen showing the folders and recent files. I would prefer to see the current sheet/workbook as a background so I can name it accordingly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add view mode that could use an Excel Reader

This would allow to distribute Excel files to more users without them needing full Excel. The end result would resemble a Tableau Reader.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bigger Find All Area

When pressing 'Find All', only 2 results are visible.

I would almost always like to see more than 2 results at one. I'm forced to resize the dialog box to do this.

What about making the default bigger, or making the window size persistent?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Excel Freeze option not work, while d file convert 2 HTML. PLz Solve..

Excel Freeze option not work, while d file convert 2 HTML. PLz Solve..

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. It's time to go 3d

Why so static? To audit a cell, you can double-click a cell and see what pops up. That's useful. For links to other pages, you can double-click the arrows that pop up. That's useful, if a little clunky. Or you can use the auditing functions to see what a cell precedents and dependents. Also pretty useful; also pretty clunky.

I'd like to be able to see deeper into a cell, as if I'm zooming in on a cell to see what it's made of. Visualize this: you click on a cell and hit a "zoom" hotkey, which brings up a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Quick worksheet renaming idea

You should be able to press Ctrl + PgDn or Ctrl + PgUp while editing a worksheet name to start renaming the next or previous worksheet.

This is similar to how you can quickly rename adjacent objects in Windows Explorer by pressing Tab or Shift + Tab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Advanced sort by color

Need to make advanced sorting by colors. To name\indicate needed color by any name. For example Red - Business, Green - Sport, Blue - Music. And when you trying to filter by color you can see what each of color means in each line/column.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. F5 + "Name Cell" (voice command)

It would be nice setting a voice mark on cell (nameing the cell with the voice), so you can reach it quick and easy with F5 + "name cell" (using your voice), so the focus goes to the named cell. This would be specially useful when you work with very large spreadsheets.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Views of all precedent cells

When tracing precedents, the full rows of precedent cells should be imported above the row of the cell being checked. (Or columns imported to the left, depending on the users choice). This would be a view of disparate data, not new data.

One would be able to see the precedent data from multiple locations and sheets all together at the same time, instead of arrows which have to be traced. There could be a limit on the number of rows shown (perhaps a mini scroll bar) if necessary.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. [Bugs] "Protect Worksheet" makes Ctrl+Page Up becomes Alt+Page Up

When I protect Worksheet, I check one box "Select unlocked cells" ONLY. (i.e. DID NOT check the box "Select locked cells")

Ctrl+Page Up / Down works normally in other worksheet. While I am in the protected worksheet, Ctrl+Page Up / Down cannot move me to next worksheet. Instead, it serves the same functionality as Alt+Page Up / Down.

I think it's just a bugs. I see many users face the same problem in some forums. Please fixed~

Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base