Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Provide a way to determine which instance a particular Excel window belongs to.

I use Excel 2013 at the office and always have multiple instances open, with multiple windows open in each.

Two important things this would help with are: 1) Clipboard functionality differs for inter- and intra-instance use; 2) Running long calculations (ie, Solver) ties up an entire instance.

It would be very useful to have a way to identify which instance a particular window belongs to. An instance number or name in the titlebar of each window seems like a good, unobtrusive solution.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Freeze pane for bottom row(s) of a range

It would be good to be able to freeze one or more bottom lines (as well as the headers) of a range or table to be able to keep things like totals in view at all times.
    Similarly, freezing columns on the right hand side of the sheet would be useful sometimes.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Locking Tab

The ability to lock individual tabs so that unauthorized users can not open them to either view or change content.

Locked tabs could still be seen from in the "hide/unhide" drop down but unauthorized users would not be able to open the tab.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Don't Allow Modal Dialogs to Go Behind Excel Windows

The move in Excel 2013 to use an SDI instead of an MDI has caused some rather serious problems with modal dialogs. There are many ways this can bite you, but the easiest one to describe in this forum is this:

1. Open Excel 2013 or 2016

2. Make sure there are two different workbooks open and maximize both their windows.

3. Go to VBA and in the immediate window type MsgBox "X" and execute it.

4. The display switches back to the active spreadsheet and there's a "X" in a modal dialog on top of it, as expected.

5. Now in the Windows taskbar,…
    8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Alphabetically sort sheets/worksheets in a workbook

When working with large data sets, I often ended up with 50+ sheets of data, and each sheet was named by a given convention. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to sort them alphanumerically without a macro. Giving the user the ability to sort so that a1 is first then a2,b1,b2,etc rather than having to sort by hand or use a macro would be seriously amazing.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for suggesting this. We do think there is value in this idea, but we don’t think that we’ll be able to devote time to it in the near future. We’ll keep tracking the votes on this.

-Eric Patterson
    Excel Program Manager

6. A "tree" view like worksheet explorer for grouping worksheet and navigating worksheets. Similar to windows explorer for files/folders n

A "tree" view of worksheets explorer. For grouping of worksheet and navigation of worksheets. Similar to Windows explorer for files/folders management and navigation. The "tree" worksheet explorer shall appear vertically at the side of the excel software window. This will also speed up the navigation when compare to navigating the worksheets by scrolling the worksheets horizontally

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Do not make Synchronous Scrolling the default when viewing side by side

I often have multiple files open, and need to view & use two of them simultaneously. Using "View Side by Side" is more convenient than "Arrange All", because it allows me to select exactly which two files I need to see at the same time. However "View Side by Side" defaults to "Synchronous Scrolling", which I need to immediately turn off since the two files I'm using are never the same. (If they were the same I'd create a "New Window", and "Arrange All, Windows of Active Workbook".) Since "Synchronous Scrolling" is the default, the view of the two files…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Ctrl+Tab to switch between worksheets (2)

Re the earlier idea being declined.

Ctrl+ page up/down only cycles sequentially thru sheets.

What was asked for was the ability to toggle between the two last opened sheets, regardless of where they are situated relative to each other.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Remove the feature where clicking at the top or bottom of a cell takes you to top or bottom of the spreadsheet

Remove the feature (or make it optional) where clicking at the top or bottom of a cell takes you to top or bottom of the spreadsheet. Inadvertent clicks make it infuriating.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. freeze heading row

Typical scenario:
    - Freeze the heading row of data
    - When you scroll down, the only way to see you have moved down is to look at the row indicators. When copying and pasting or updating formulas in a many col spreadsheet, this sometimes leads to silly errors.
    - Can the separator below the freezed row (i.e. headings) change to a different colour when you have scrolled down, e.g. blue, or the row ids change color (as they do for a filter).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. make an option to shade a row/column as you scroll in a large spreadsheet. This is so you know you are in the correct row/column.

make a option to lightly shade the row and column you are working in so you can not confuse it with another row/column on the worksheet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. New Slicers - combo boxes and an option for cascading slicers.

Sometimes slicers take up too much screen real estate or have too many members which hinders the UI experience. Searchable combo boxes and a cascading option where slicers only appear if a parent slicer was first selected would help address this and give more option to designers for creating a better experience.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Ability to zoom (or set zoom) when embedding a spreadsheet in an iframe

When i embed a spreadsheet, that resides in sharepoint, using the <embed> option from O365, I should be able to specify a zoom factor, or make the spread sheet scale with the size of the /iframe

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Switch to previous tab by clicking currently active one (as an option).

After (temporary) jump to some tab (sheet) in the same workbook, often I would like to return to the previously active sheet. So I need to look for the proper tab and not always it's easy. It would be much easier to activate the previous one just by clicking currently active tab. This feature could be optional.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow personalized tab display

Allow for drag and drop of tabs from standard horizontal view (like Windows Taskbar) to vertical view (kind of like OneNote).

My boss is tab happy and I often have to keep selecting move over to see the names. Often, I have to then go back to find what I need. A list display on the right or left would allow me to quickly jump (and it would be a cleaner look).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Color commas within a set of parenthesis to match corresponding parenthesis

Excel currently pairs parenthesis within a formula by color to make it easier to review long formulas. It would be helpful with nested functions if the commas within matched the function's parenthesis. Specifically with nested IFs

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create seperate files when copying multiple tabs (New workbook)

I have multiple worksheets that need to get copied each to their own new workbook. It would be great if there was an option to 'create a copy' to a '(new book_' but a '(new book)' for each worksheet instead of having to do this separately.

Additionally, it work be great if their was an option to keep focus on the existing workbook and not lose focus to the new workbook when a work sheet is copied using 'create a copy'.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Subtabs/SubSheets

When you click on a tab/sheet in a workbook, another row below that appears and allows you to add a sub-tab/sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Show File Location For Autorecovery Files, Make File Comparison/Viewing Easy

If I happen to be working with two files of the same name and an error occurs in one, the Autorecovery notice is useless in telling me which one has the problem (which would help me decide whether to recover it or just delete it because it was a scratch file). There also ought to be a facility for comparing a file to be autorecovered with any previous version or another related file to easily find out what might have changed that's worth recovering, etc. Basically, Autorecovery is a good idea but it's very poorly implemented and backed up by…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base