Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. View Data Links Between Worksheets to know if any other worksheets are linked to it

I would like to be able to view the connections between worksheets in a single excel file (which worksheets have formulas referencing a particular worksheet). I realize I can search for a worksheet name in the other worksheets, but I would like a simple view to say sheet 1 is connected to sheets 4, 5 and 6 and sheet 2 has no connections.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Find (and Replace) Next or Next-1 toggle

I refer to the "Find // Replace" function within the "Find & Select" option.

It would be much more useful if:

a/ The "Find NEXT" would could be toggled to search backward

&

b/ That one was able to set personalize the DEFAULTS within the Options window

Thank you

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I have sight problems. How can you make the navigation bars and error messages show up in larger or bolder type.

The box to the right of this space titled excel for Windows(Desktop Applications) is close to unreadable in that light blue upper and lowercase type. All of the sysem boxes need a way to be made more readable of the sight impaired. All of the navigation boxes at the top of a spreadsheet need a way to control their sized to. My eyes are getting worse and I want to still work with excell but its almost betting to the point that I cannot work. In this box the type is bold enought to work with but the box below…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER

It is necessary to add A UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER similar to file manager for OS. Plus different small features as toggling, vertical tabs and so on.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Modernize Excel Comments - make them reply-able, open on-screen, etc.

2 Decades or longer office use, and still this is an issue in Excel2016/Office 365. Any cell that has a comment attached but is at the edge of the screen/windows shows up off-screen, thus invisible. Many a macro was written and re-searches performed how to get them still to show, but it's all arduous if not pitiful. Please get this fixed ASAP.

As suggestion add the ability to attach pop-up comments to shapes. Right now you can put them in cells under the shape, but when sheet is protected or shape is moved, resized the hover over is left behind…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Customizing Windows Color and Appearance in Windows 10 (especially for Selected Items and Windows)

I am an avid user of Microsoft Excel. The first thing I have always done when I get a new computer is set up the Windows Color and Appearance settings by customizing the variance options listed under "Item:" (See bottom of my post). For instance, I like to have the Window item a shade of gray and and the Selected Items item a darker shade of gray. This allows me to operate in Excel more quickly. I've been doing this for a long time, but for some reason with either Windows 10 or the latest version of Excel 2016, I…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. When opening a spreadsheet when Excel is minized do NOT first bring to the desktop an already opened/minized spreadsheet

When opening a workbook that I have saved on my hard drive, if I already have an open workbook that is minimized, excel first brings up the minimized workbook to the desktop and the foreground, then displays the one you are opening. Now, to get back to the desktop view I had before opening my workbook I have to minimize 2 workbooks.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow hidded cells, columns, rows to be viewed without viewing unhidded items.

There is not a way to view only hidden items. This is becoming more important as I present data to upper management so I can tell if information has been deleted or just hidden before I save the file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Scroll to object from Selection Pane

From the Selection Pane, there should be some way to scroll to a chosen object, regardless of the object's visibility. This would be much like what the Go To window (shortcut: Ctrl + G) is for references. Simply having an object be visible does little help to locate it in a large sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Prevent Power Query view from jumping all the way back to row 1

I've got a query that I'm trying to troubleshoot. Basically: what's causing row 288 to be imported but it's not showing up at the end of the query?

I wanted to step through the query to see exactly when record 288 fell out. However, after every step the query view jumped back to row 1, and I'd scroll back to see if the right entry was still on row 288.

I'd at least like an option to keep the view where I put it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Duplicate the "Scroll to the last/next sheet" on the right hand side of the status bar

When we want to view/select worksheets to the right, it is intuitive to have the "Scroll to the last/next sheet" on the right hand side of the status bar. This could be achieved either as a duplicate of those options or moving those actions to the right.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Apply View > Formula Bar at sheet level

The options in the View ribbon, Show group are not consistent in their behaviour. Ruler, Grid lines and Headings are applied at the sheet level. But Formula Bar is applied at the application level, so even other workbooks will show/hide the formula bar according to the setting in the current sheet.

Please apply the View Formula Bar only at sheet level, so that other sheets and workbooks are not affected.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. auto hidding window watch, I would like to suggest and option to or not to auto hide window was,currently is autohiddend once using other ap

Never auto hide window watch at most give user option, as it auto hide automatically currently when using other app .i.e calculator

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. New idea for newest version of Excel (3D version)

Each Workbook will have a few sections, and each section will has a few WorkSheets.and finaly each Worksheet has many data like old versions. Summary it means : data devided in sections and sheets (3D version). I Create 3 Pictures for this idea , in this link : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qiqk0lk6hg681q8/AADxueKciHMyWJwBbPiV1yuba?dl=0
    E-mail address:
    shariflotfi@yahoo.com

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Better productivity-oriented interface (allow dialogs to be modeless, make everything dockable panes)

As a production tool, drop the ribbon and go to proven high-productivity paradigms with tool palettes, such as exist with Adobe products as Photoshop and InDesign. Being able to arrange direct access to tools on a second monitor provides for far better ease of use and understanding of options.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Option for less "white space"

ALL newer Office apps: Give us an OPTION for SIGNIFICANT reduction of white space. I typically fill all the jump lists and pinned documents with various documents that I routinely have to access. '16 Office apps don't show NEARLY enough - even when I pin what I can and put others in the jump lists. I have to scroll, and it still doesn't always show them all.
    NO white space needed for some of us-please use smaller font and crowd stuff in. Allow the alternatives for those who don't like crowding.
    THANKS!

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Provide a way to determine which instance a particular Excel window belongs to.

I use Excel 2013 at the office and always have multiple instances open, with multiple windows open in each.

Two important things this would help with are: 1) Clipboard functionality differs for inter- and intra-instance use; 2) Running long calculations (ie, Solver) ties up an entire instance.

It would be very useful to have a way to identify which instance a particular window belongs to. An instance number or name in the titlebar of each window seems like a good, unobtrusive solution.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to Give Color to Latest saved Excel File, will help user to identify latest saved file quickly

While one has several files on a subject and the updation of files are tracked by Date and some time mentioning of Hrs. for eg. 17th june 2016 ( 13.00hrs ) like wise. If there is a option to give color to Latest saved File then and when the same folder is accessed few day later it becomes easy for the user to identify the latest updated file to carry out further correction or updation, By this the user will save considerable time instead of searching many files in the same folder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. See the result of Offset defined ranges

Offset is a very useful function, but perhaps my biggest frustration with it is that I can't visually see what cell (or cells) it's grabbing. If, for example, when you're manually evaluating the formula, excel could highlight the range that it's grabbing, that would be "excel"lent.
    Or, if the formula bar can auto-detect that an offset is present, then you could hit F2 twice or shift+F2 to make it evaluate what rows are being grabbed and highlight them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base