Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. google drive

When a password-protected Excel workbook is uploaded to Google Drive and converted to Google Spreadsheets, it breaks the password. Cells that are protected with hidden formulas became all visible. Very hidden spreadsheets will become totally accessible. This is a serious problem, and I was surprised that there was not a category for "Protection" or "Security" under the above category drop-down menu. Why is it that Microsoft doesn't take Excel files protection more seriously? Could you please improve Excel protection?
    Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have an option for a "classic" layout.

I use a few different versions of Excel (and Word) and really prefer the non tabbed layout with words and drop down menus. I really dislike the "file" tab and how it takes over the whole screen.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Excel doesn't respect mouseover scrolling behaviour

Windows 10 finally adopted the Mac/Linux mousewheel scrollling behaviour where you can scroll the window beneath the cursor with the mouse wheel (or touchpad gestures) rather than the window that has focus, by default. However, Excel doesn't seem to respect this.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please let me look at two files at once

I constantly have to go back and forth between two spreadsheets in two different document. Excel does not allow me to have two windows open at once. When I look at one file it hides the other. So yet again I have to print one excel sheet in order to work on another. Please allow two windows to appear at once.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. scroll while holding

I should be able to scroll while holding an item to move and while highlighting cells. Right now I have to drag to the edge of whatever direction I want to go in, this is really annoying since it's so imprecise.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. tabs

The Excell tab system would be nice if it could be grouped like microsoft onenote

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Theme colour does not apply to the area with outline buttons

When using dark themes, window colour does not apply to the area with "+" buttons used for outline view (see attached), however it applies to formula field and column/row headings, so it is quite disrupting. This seems to be just a bug, so basically no new feature is needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Horizontal Scroll problem with Logitech mouse

I have an Excel problem with Logitech mouse.

LALaszlo_1979 replied on February 2, 2017See post history
    Dear Microsoft!
    I have a same problem in the Excel 2016 (64 bit) I can't scroll horizontally by my new Logitech G502 mouse on Windows 10 64 bit. The Word and the Power Point and Google Chrome browser are working.
    I used the last few year a Logitech G500. It was same problem :((
    I have an old (like 6-8 years) Logitech RX250 mouse - unfortunately it works very well.
    It looks Microsoft Excel bug. I am waiting for the bux fixing.
    Best Regards …

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Move the horizontal scrollbar to the bottom, beneath the tabs.

When I have many tabs, the scroll bar tends to get scrunched to the side. It would be far more useful to move the scroll bar to it's own line beneath the tabs. Please consider. Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Excel 2016 -> Insert HyperLink -> Place in This Document-> Cell Reference

I am trying to link a work sheet to specific cell.
    Lets say I have ~300 work sheets and i want to quickly navigate to a specific sheet by just typing name (Example in SQL Server -> objects browser -> you can type the name of table/storedprocedure takes you quickly to that object) and would like to link that sheet

Attached the sample, where i have 4 work sheets (Test,Questions,Answers,Data), I am trying to link to specific sheet here I am only able to scroll through the list of Worksheets. Instead here I would like to quickly navigate to the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. IRM read permission does not allow to change a filter or a pivot, nor to run a macro

The RMS permissions on a document for a user depend on the permission a user has for that library or document in sharepoint. The mapping from the sharepoint permissions to the RMS permissions are fixed and cannot be configured at this moment. This causes problems for users having sharepoint read access, when opening an excel workbook because they cannot change filters, make or change pivots, running macros. This makes the reading process of RMS protected workbooks unusable.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. File properties referring to a cell

I am looking for a method in Excel for refer any of the given file properties to one cell. Therefore I could display that value in its folder in a column in detailed view and I don't have to open every document to see that single value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Multiple Headers in One Sheet

Add a feature to freeze multiple headers so that they roll into one another when scrolling down a large spreadsheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Freezing Rows and Columns from moving in either direction

Hi ...I would like to freeze rows and columns in place so that the frozen columns to not move up and down when scrolling through a spreadsheet, please?

Having a feature like this would make any data in those columns always visible regardless of the cell you are using in a spreadsheet.

This would be very handy for the types of spreadsheets I create.

Thanks and I hope to see this in the next Excel update ...

Regards,
    Jennifer

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Provide a view that shows a preview of all sheets tabs of a file, like tiles, all shown at once, to easily navigate to the desired one.

Navigate to multiple sheets tabs is cumbersome, and I always have to cycle through all of them to find the one I'm looking for. A view that shows tiles of a preview of all sheets could help me find the proper one with just a glance.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Constants/Parameter Side Bar

I think it would be a good idea to have a constants side bar. This side bar would have 2 columns, one to name a value and one for the value. It would be static and would not scroll with the sheet. It would also be consistent across different sheets. I often need the use constants / parameters in my sheets and it can be annoying to change them if I want to see new results. Having a pervasive sidebar would allow me to update and view the results on the fly. The name of the constant /parameter could also…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Scroll wheel click to grab the screen

Make the scroll wheel click enable the cursor to grab the screen. You could then throw the worksheet around, providing more intuitive control when navigating the worksheets. The current functionality has always been, well let's say politely, a bit hit and miss.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to deactivate ctrl+↓ type shortcuts.

Option to deactivate ctrl+↓ type shortcuts. There are more times were you are just Ctrl+v, ↓, Ctrl+v, ↓, etc. than the times you need to go to the end of the dataset. And obviously, even if activated, check whether the rest of the column is blank, so it does not take you 1048576 rows down.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Bring back the OFFICE button, please. Also put raised ?HELP icon on all pages

Bring back the OFFICE button, please. Also put raised ?HELP icon on all pages

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base