Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Open only one Excel spreadsheet at a time when starting Excel.

I'd like for Excel spreadsheets that are minimized to STAY minimized when I open another Excel file. I often have Excel Files open for daily data entries (e.g. people who enter my office without an appointment and why). These files don't need to open when doing my work (invoicing, analysis, charting, etc.). Just keep the other instances minimized until I want them. They'll know because I would click on them. Just an option to "Keep other instances minimized when opening Excel file"

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. pivot table: go back to parent cell by double clicking the cell

I've got a huge amount of data to go through and find the source cell as there are many duplicates. So is there a way to find the source cell of a selected data in the pivot table.

Is there any way we could hyperlink the pivot table so that if we ctrl+click or double click, it could take us back to the parent cell?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 477 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

114 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for taking your time to suggest and vote for this. We do think that this suggestion has merit, but we don’t think that we’ll be able to devote time to it in the near future. We’ll continue tracking votes for it so we know how it ranks among the other suggestions.

4. Tabbed spreadsheets

You have tabbed worksheets within the spreadsheet at the bottom, but you could have tabbed spreadsheets along the top. Makes navigation between different spreadsheets much easier than having them in separate XL windows. 3rd party apps like office tab do this very well but would be nice to see this feature natively in Office.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make new Excel windows open only on the active desktop to avoid unwanted desktop switching.

The problem occurs when a saved file is double-clicked, opening a new window. The window will open on the active desktop if no other Excel windows are open. If, however, there are other Excel windows already open, the new window will appear on the same desktop as the last viewed Excel window. This can cause Windows to switch desktops, and result in the new Excel window appearing on a different desktop than intended.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Move the horizontal scrollbar to the bottom, beneath the tabs.

When I have many tabs, the scroll bar tends to get scrunched to the side. It would be far more useful to move the scroll bar to it's own line beneath the tabs. Please consider. Thank you.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Freezing Rows and Columns from moving in either direction

Hi ...I would like to freeze rows and columns in place so that the frozen columns to not move up and down when scrolling through a spreadsheet, please?

Having a feature like this would make any data in those columns always visible regardless of the cell you are using in a spreadsheet.

This would be very handy for the types of spreadsheets I create.

Thanks and I hope to see this in the next Excel update ...

Regards,
    Jennifer

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. tabs

The Excell tab system would be nice if it could be grouped like microsoft onenote

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. feature grouping workbooks into a higher grouping

feature grouping workbooks into a higher grouping. For example, worksheets 'household', 'boat', 'cabin' can be GROUPED into a BUDGETS folder so that when PROJECT is opened or copied or moved it applies to household, boat, and cabin worksheets as one unit called BUDGETS.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. "Freeze Panes" for sheet tabs

Freeze Panes lets you browse the minor cells of a sheet while keeping the important ones, usually row or column headings, visible at all times.

We should have something similar for sheet tabs. For example, you might want to guarantee the visibility of a summary sheet as you browse through the raw data sheets (or vice versa). Instructions for the file are also useful to anchor.

If you search for "Excel freeze sheet tab" (without quotes) on Google, you will see that I am not the first to suggest this. The most common workaround seems to be assigning a sheet…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. google drive

When a password-protected Excel workbook is uploaded to Google Drive and converted to Google Spreadsheets, it breaks the password. Cells that are protected with hidden formulas became all visible. Very hidden spreadsheets will become totally accessible. This is a serious problem, and I was surprised that there was not a category for "Protection" or "Security" under the above category drop-down menu. Why is it that Microsoft doesn't take Excel files protection more seriously? Could you please improve Excel protection?
    Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please bring back a stronger visual cursor placement; unable to see where I am in the worksheet.

The green colored box around the square blends in and is not as visual to easily see which reference point you are on in the worksheet while toggling back and forth. Takes away from speed/efficiency. Please give color suggestions the users may pick and choose.

Also there is no way to determine which box was selected for the copy/paste feature anymore. No more highlight via the dashed 'twinkling box'. Please bring this feature back. Again, it makes for easy reference when your are toggling and copying and pasting in multiple sheets etc..

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Access to New Window command from the Tabs on a Worksheet see ideas below

On worksheet tabs add "New Window" as an option on the right-click menu.

Dragging the tab off the worksheet could be used to create a new window as well.

Dragging the tab of the worksheet causes a menu to pop up with three options: Open New Window, Copy to New Workbook, Move to New Workbook.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Duplicate a New Window with all formatting unchanged

Currently you have to reformat the entire 'New Window' so that it truly duplicates the 'Current Window'. Presently the 'New Window' fails to use the same zoom settings, and pane freezes, and I'm sure others, however these two are the most annoying from my perspective.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Automatically Scroll To Top Left Cell A1 When Opening an Excel Spreadsheet

Whenever I open a new Excel 2016 spreadsheet, the spreadsheet opens so I only see the bottom and right end of the spreadsheet. As a result, I did not fill in the required information on the spreadsheet in the left-most columns because they were not plainly visible. The entire spreadsheet could have been shown on my display without zoom. I know this behavior can be changed by using a macro, but I feel this should be a core feature of Excel. Please make it so Excel spreadsheets automatically open with the scroll to the top left cell (A1) by default.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Alternate F1 key function

A running joke in some professional services industries is the physical removal of the F1 key to save the time spent exiting the help dialog when the key is accidentally pressed.

What about having a setting to enable an alternate function for the F1 key ?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Drop down list - keyboard shortcut, not working like using the mouse

The keyboard shortcut for using a drop down list in a cell with data validation is ALT+Down arrow. This is similar to clicking with the mouse on the dropdown.

This works fine by it self.
    But somehow the mouse click does something extra the ALT+Down arrow does not.
    In the video file below, a sort of searchable drop down list has been created (look at 5:12 into the video).
    But for this to work, some background update of the last cell used must be triggered.
    Clicking with the mouse does this, but not ALT+Down arrow.

So I would like to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Can we please bring the Split Box Control back? The new way ("Split Window" command) is awkward.

Please bring the Split Box Control back. This new way with the "Split Window" command is very frustrating.

It was so easy to split panes before! But now I have to first click in a cell (and lose my current selection, by the way), and then either switch from using the mouse to do a keyboard shortcut (that beeps at me for some reason), or else navigate to a different tab & click a button, just to split the panes.

Then re-do my selection & navigate back to the tab I really want to be working in.

This change actively…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 99% of my day I start at excel. Can we get a proper dark theme

99% of my day I start at excel. Can we get a proper dark theme that changes it all to dark since it will be easier to look at?

I want it to change the text to black background, white text, as well as the borders and edges. It should just be a quick button, be able to be customized to the ribbon for a quick click.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Right Click Panning

Allow a right click and hold to act like the panning hand.

It would make scrolling and moving around in a document much easier and faster.

Currently some mouse driver allow the middle button to let you pan but it is inverse to the natural convention for panning elsewhere in software.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base