Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a Select All when un-hiding tabs (sheets) in a workbook

You are able to highlight multiple tabs and hide them all at once but when you need to un-hide tabs you have to select one at a time. It would be night to be able to multi select or select all in the un-hide pop up box. Right now I have a file that I have to hit un-hide 52 times to get everything to show back up.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multiple levels of worksheet protection for each cell...

When I protect a worksheet, some cells I don't want the user to be able to select at all, or edit in any way. And some cells I want to lock against the user editing, but still need him/her to be able to select those cells, whether it be for highlighting, copying, etc. Additionally, some cells I want the user to select and enter data, but not be able to edit the formatting of the cell. This is currently easy to attain. However, many of my cells have hidden formulas which I don't want the user to edit but I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Add SheetDelete(), BeforeRename(), Rename(), BeforeHide(), etc. events...

Can we please get 8 new EXTREMELY USEFUL events for Excel worksheets: SheetDelete(), BeforeRename(), Rename(), BeforeHide(), Hide(), BeforeUnhide(), Unhidden(), and BeforeNewSheet(). Excel already has NewSheet() and SheetBeforeDelete() events.

It makes sense that the BeforeNewSheet(), NewSheet(), SheetBeforeDelete(), and the SheetDelete() events must be in the workbook code object module, and that they should posses the "Sh As Object" argument in order to determine which sheet the user is attempting to act on. But the rest should be available in each worksheet's code object module.

All of he "Before...()" events, including the existing ones, would additionally need a "Cancel As Boolean" argument/parameter,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. add worksheet or tab names in the find function

I teach a Microsoft Class and one of my students asked how to use the find function to search for tabs by name. You can't as far as I can tell. I searched on line and the suggestions are either complicated or don't work like people said they would. Anyways this would be helpful if you have a lot of them and don't always remember the full name. You could just type the full or partial name in your search function. If it existed it would either take you directly to the correct tab [worksheet] or provide a list of…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Scrolling with large cells

Scrolling with large cells is usually a nightmare, when are Microsoft going to do something about this

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Tab Copy "Move to end" Move to Beginning

Whenever a copy of a tab is created, in order to move it to the end, you need to scroll down the list of all the other tabs. The option "Move to end" should come at the beginning of the list!
    What is the point of having it at the end, since you just scrolled down to the end already..
    This is very frustrating when there are many tabs. Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. GET YOUR DOPEY_FUCKING_TEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOU_FUCKED_UP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKING_BAD_ALREADY.

GET YOUR DOPEYFUCKINGTEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOUFUCKEDUP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKINGBADALREADY. DOES YOUR SHITWARE ADD-IN REALLY DO ANYTHING USEFUL OTHER THAN OBSCURE OR HIDE THE ACTUAL ACTIONS I AM LOOKING FOR? ******** MICROSOFT,SUCK MY FUCKINGDICK.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Single Page Zoom

When in Page Layout mode, have the option to zoom out on one page. Word has a "One Page" option in the zoom settings. Excel is default to "Multiple Pages" when zooming out and scrolling. Would be nice to see how the document will appear printed out.

See attached for what is available in Word.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Tabs on the side

I work with loads of tabs and spend too much time scrolling left / right. Can the tabs go on the side of the spreadsheet with a scrollbar? Should be a nice fix that can be made optional for users!

I can imagine huge cost savings for any company using big spreadsheets

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Viewing Sums

If I highlight a range of numbers I can see sum, min, max, avg, etc... at the bottom of my window. However, I can only see those things on the active window. It would be nice if those items were viewable on all open windows, not just the active one.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Use "×" instead of "x" in the Name Box when showing the dimensions during the selection of cells

As you are selecting a range of cells, the Name Box will display the dimensions of your selection in the format "1R x 2C". Please change the "x" to "×" (times sign), since this is the proper symbol.

We no longer live in the days when we need to worry about whether or not someone's computer has the correct fonts installed to be able to display non-ASCII characters. The "×" will display on modern computers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Tabs Up Top (Optional)

REQUEST

Allow users to place tabs up top, just below the Ribbon. They are getting buried to the lower depth of increasing resolution and screen sizes.

SITUATION

Days gone by, monitor and resolution sizes were smaller and tabs held a relatively larger chuck of desktop real estate within a reasonable peripheral view. This is no longer the case. Monitor and resolution sizes have and will continue grow.

PROBLEM

As the virtual desktop grows in space, the relative size and lower level placement of tabs impedes their recognition and use. I find myself falling into the bad habit of not making…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Enabling and disabling edit mode.

Make an Edit Mode toggle so that way arrow keys only become effective inside cells, and no longer move between cells. Would be very useful and time saving when transferring data to be able to use the arrow keys to move back a few characters without having to use a mouse to select a spot within the cell or re-select the cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Search for name of the sheet

It would be nice if I can quick seach (input type seach) for sheet in document, when number of sheets is to big for clicking on next and previous sheets and for manually searching.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Screen Search

The current Ctrl-F function offers 2 choices in terms of "Within": Sheet & Workbook. Why not to add a 3rd one named "Screen" ?

It will be very useful when I try to locate something which I know is (or should be) in front of my eyes but I cannot find it due to the densely populated screen, and... the current Ctrl+F will show the first finding at top of the sheet while I am working on records (e.i.) 32004-32030

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to set the defaults for ALL workbooks such as font, font size, row height, row width.

The ability to choose semi-permanently group and manipulate workbooks in the same way as Lotus 123.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to set the defaults for ALL workbooks such as font, font size, row height, row width.

Ability to permanently group selected worksheets and choose any single worksheet as the model to replicate styles from and when moving between worksheets, the cursor remains in the corresponding cell (a Lotus 123 feature)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Easy navigation across worksheets using back and forward buttons

A back and forward button would be helpful (like in internet explorer) so that while working in files with a number of sheets, user can easily navigate back and forth using these buttons.
    For example User selected "sheet-4 cell D4" and then selected sheet "sheet-15 cell X25" by using say trace precedent command or just by clicking the cell, if she now clicks "back" button it will take you to "sheet-4 cell D4" again. (This can be say upto 5 steps forward and 5 steps backward)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Go back to previous version of Excel

Go back to previous version of Excel!!!...Remove the 'Search bar' above the Ribbon...if you have many documents with long names...names are NOT fully shown.
    Remove the 'Font bar' in the ribbon, replace with original 'cell data'...if you want to change data within a cell already containing data...cannot add or delete data...latest version of excel removes the entire data stream and then you are F****
    This is NOT a good upgrade with excel!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base