Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Resize GoTo Dialog Box

For the love of G-d, please, after all these years, make all dialog boxes, especially the GoTo dialog box!

For example, it is IMPOSSIBLE to decipher contents in the GoTo dialog box when using longer Excel file and sheet names.

Most programming languages provide simple ways to define resizable dialog boxes (e.g. Resizable: True, Max Height, Max Width, etc.)
    If Microsoft would take 1 extra minute to fix this in Excel, I believe it would save users like me hundreds of minutes per year. That would free me up to use even more Microsoft products!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add "Go To Special -> Previous Cell" with cell history.

Navigating a workbook would be easier with a "Go To Previous Cell"

Add the ability to Go To Special for "Previous Cell" as far back to when the workbook was opened, or alternatively, to a user defined history setting in Excel's Advanced->Editing Options->Display Options for this workbook (e.g. Keep Cell History {all, or user entered numeric value})

Additionally, provide a dropdown list of the cell history that can be added to the quick access toolbar, for rapid selection of previously selected cells.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring back 2016 Ribbon format & colors

Is it Microsoft's intent to intentionally make Excel more difficult to use? It seems that is the case.
    For example, my latest edition August 2019 is missing the ribbon colors. I may have not noticed when they disappeared, but I know there were there some time ago. I have attached a screen shot from this link ( https://support.office.com/en-us/article/show-the-ribbon-26abd81c-b5ab-47a5-aabc-a9e5255862f4 ) to illustrate what the ribbon tab used to look like. Now it is even more difdficult to read the ribbon. WHY? WHY? WHY? is Microsoft messing with stuff that works instead of enhancing the product???

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. We need to be able to freeze more than one column at a time!

Need to be able to freeze more than one column at a time, or Column and a line. EG: annual spreadsheet has months across top and left hand column has details input so when you are scrolling across the months your detail col should stay visible, otherwise you waste so much time chasing back & forward to see where you are working.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add options to Object Properties for more flexibility in interactive dashboards

I'll clarify what I'm asking for and follow up with example of why:

Object Properties currently have 6 available options:

3 Radio buttons:
    1. Move and size with cells
    2. Move but don't size with cells
    3. Don't move or size with cells)

3 checkbox buttons
    1. Print object
    2. Locked
    3. Lock text

I'd like to see a couple more options added:
    1. Move and size with cells (vertically)
    2. Move and size with cells (horizontally)

Here's an example of why:

I have begun implementing complex, self-service tools based in excel, using PQ and PP to deliver the data…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 2 or 3 levels of workbook (not worksheet) protection...

Just as there should be multiple levels of protection for each cell on a worksheet...

(see https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/38828236-multiple-levels-of-worksheet-protection-for-each-c)

there should also be multiple levels of protection for the workbook. ie: the Structure and Window options in the 'Protect Workbook' dialog just don't cut it.

I need the ability to specify exactly which features or options are locked down when a workbook is protected.

Example: I often want to allow a user to be able to hide any particular worksheet but not be able to delete it. When I lock down the workbook to prevent them from deleting it, well... they…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Multiple levels of worksheet protection for each cell...

When I protect a worksheet, some cells I don't want the user to be able to select at all, or edit in any way. And some cells I want to lock against the user editing, but still need him/her to be able to select those cells, whether it be for highlighting, copying, etc. Additionally, some cells I want the user to select and enter data, but not be able to edit the formatting of the cell. This is currently easy to attain. However, many of my cells have hidden formulas which I don't want the user to edit but I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. View two different worksheets from the same file on two different screens

I want to compare two tabs on the same file but the only way to do that is to copy one of the sheets to another workbook and view on two different screens. I would like to use the side by side feature but within the same workbook and be able to view on two monitors.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. VBA: color of current module

I can hardly see on which module I'm working at any given time. The selected module uses a light gray color. A night green or yellow will help a lot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. New Window (Alt-WN) Should not toss frozen cells and hidden gridlines

Why, oh why, when I open a new window of an existing workbook (i.e. using Alt-WN), does the new window toss all of my frozen panes and hidden gridlines. Why, this infuriating, awful non feature!

I work with large financial models which I lay across 2 or more screens - each time I open new windows I have to laboriously re-set frozen panes! it is a total waste of time!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Find links to external references reporting data validation sources

your page "https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Find-links-external-references-in-a-workbook-fcbf4576-3aab-4029-ba25-54313a532ff1" does not mention a link to an external reference as a named range in case the reference is linked to a data validation source. Ctrl-f does not find such cell(s).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. KEEP UNFOCUSED WORKBOOK ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED

OPTION TO KEEP ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN UNFOCUSED AND IN ANOTHER APPLICATION

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Worksheet Folders for Consolidation

A folder option to consolidate worksheets into individual folders across the bottom. This would allow daily/weekly/monthly tracking to be consolidated into one location without having to constantly go back and forth between worksheets. For instance, if you finish out your daily spreadsheets for August, you consolidate all of those into one folder instead of having to hide or scroll.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Use "×" instead of "x" in the Name Box when showing the dimensions during the selection of cells

As you are selecting a range of cells, the Name Box will display the dimensions of your selection in the format "1R x 2C". Please change the "x" to "×" (times sign), since this is the proper symbol.

We no longer live in the days when we need to worry about whether or not someone's computer has the correct fonts installed to be able to display non-ASCII characters. The "×" will display on modern computers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Cell Outline colour change

Please add a feature to be able to change the colour of the active cell.

It is currently green however that isnt easily visible when using the ctrl-f function within a worksheet with lots of data. The cell does not stand out enough and is hard to spot.

changing the grid colours works slightly but it would be easier if you could change the cell itself

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. The results given with the search function ar not very good visible. The results should be marked better.

The results given with the search function ar not very good visible. The results should be marked better

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Remove Search Box that is now at the top of excel

Remove the very large search box that is now showing on the top of Excel. It shortens the name of the file, and is not needed. Should be able to add/remove Search Box when needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Create menu to Search Worksheet

Create menu to Search Worksheet by name.

This is important when user has many worksheets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Create menu to Search Worksheet

Create menu to Search Worksheet by name.

This is important when user has many worksheets

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base