Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. UI Improvements in minimizing the space for New Quick Access Toolbar which hides the file name and Saved status

Can you change the UI for quick access toolbar and status to show notification of saved file to sharepoint

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have a quick way to reverse the tabs in a workbook.

You have a monthly sales report sheet that has been added to the end of a sales workbook. After several years you have a long way to scroll to get to the latest reports. It would be nice to be able to SORT the sheet tabs from A to Z or from Z to A quickly.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Window View

For data validation purposes, it would be great if Microsoft could incorporate a quick view window that would allow you to see data within another tab or workbook. Essentially just a small window that would appear within your worksheet that would allow you to navigate in another tab/workbook, while still being able to edit your current worksheet (i.e. the window would need to remain open while editing the current tab). This would provide a quick way to validate data within your existing spreadsheet that is being pulled from other worksheets or workbooks without having to open a completely separate instance…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. View option to highlight cells containing formulas

Currently, if I want to see which cells have formulas, I can by pressing F5, then Special, and selecting the Formula radial. All cells on the Worksheet that contain formulas are temporarily highlighted in gray. That goes away as soon as I select any cell. I'd like the option to turn that off or on persistently like the way I can show the ruler, gridlines, formula bar, or headings under the View tab, or the way you can Show Formulas under the Formulas tab.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Disable F1 help menu

F1 is often pressed accidentally because it is next to F2. F1 is of no use to advanced users and there is no rapid way of closing the menu that opens. It would be a huge improvement if users can disable the F1 button somehow.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Restore the WORKSPACE feature to Excel 365. It has always been a great aid.

I have several workbooks that have closely related topics.
    The WORKSPACE feature allowed me to quickly observe the effects of linked worksheets, etc.

It is surprising to learn that Excel 365 does not support this feature.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please bring back the shortcut for going to the formula bar (used to be Ctrl+A)

Please bring back the shortcut for jumping to the formula bar (it used to be Ctrl+A but was replaced by "select all"). I use the keyboard almost exclusively and was overjoyed to discover Ctrl+A to jump to formula bar when editing a formula (followed by Ctrl-Shift-U to make the formula bar bigger). But now Ctrl+A has been removed. I see quite a few people asked for "select all" to be brought in, which is fine, but please reassign "jump to formula bar" to another shortcut. Thank you.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Persistent Highlighting of Rows (or Columns) When Not The Active Window/App

Like most professionals these days, I have a multi-monitor configuration for my computer which allows me to have two apps open and visible at the same time. This is handy when getting data from one source via an Excel spreadsheet while updating data in another Excel spreadsheet.

It allows me to keep both spreadsheets open, one on each monitor, as I walk the one to update the other.

The issue is: When I select a row in the source spreadsheet, it is highlighted. When I make the other spreadsheet the active window, the highlight disappears from the source spreadsheet.

It…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Tell why a button is grayed out.

MS Office users waste many hours trying to understand why certain ribbon buttons are grayed out. (Witness many forums on the matter.) Add a help feature that lists why any option is currently disabled, or, pop up a "why" explanation upon mouse hover. It is a sad disservice to customers when you shut down functionality in a complex purchased product with no explanation.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. View/Split Line

Make View/Split line a color other than gray like blue so it's easily distinquishable for cell borders.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. When you click a cell that the row or column highlight An option that you can turn off and on.

When you click a cell that the row or column highlight An option that you can turn off and on and you can select either or both.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Default line spacing and Options for this

Default line spacing for excel cells should be roughly half the selected font height. As is, it appears to match the font height. This seems a little over the top (ridiculous) for cell data, or even for other Office apps. This needs to also be included in the options, but is not to be found. A user should not have to use a text box to achieve a better line spacing in a cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add an option to set workbook search as default.

Currently every time you search an excel workbook it will only search the current sheet, you have to change this option every time as you want to search the workbook entirely. Personally, I never want to search just the sheet. I always want to search the entire workbook. At least allow us to configure a default for this. So for someone like me we can set it to search the workbook by default every time we search.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Show Pinned not Recent on excel startup

Upon opening excel it use to show pinned files alphabetically with recent files below by date and time. Now the tabs are separate and when excel opens is displays recent not pinned, I have to click on pinned to get that list. Make a General Option to open to recent or pinned based on user preference.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Easy navigation across worksheets using back and forward buttons

A back and forward button would be helpful (like in internet explorer) so that while working in files with a number of sheets, user can easily navigate back and forth using these buttons.
    For example User selected "sheet-4 cell D4" and then selected sheet "sheet-15 cell X25" by using say trace precedent command or just by clicking the cell, if she now clicks "back" button it will take you to "sheet-4 cell D4" again. (This can be say upto 5 steps forward and 5 steps backward)

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Split screen where scrolling through or filtering in one side does not affect the other side.

Example:

A table of 5 columns is in "A to E".

A pivot table of these 5 columns is in columns "F and G".

I scroll up and down in the table and change certain entries. I like to refresh the pivot table, but I have scroll back up to see the pivot table before I can refresh it.

Alternatively, I may be filtering the table and making some changes to some entries. I have to un-filter the table, as the pivot table disappears when filters are applied to the table, before I can refresh the pivot table and see…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. It would be great if you could freeze multiple parts of a sheet at the same time. In orther words, I can freeze the top and left of a

I wish I could freeze up to 4 sides of a sheet at the same time. In other words, if I have a list of income statement accounts in column "A" and I have the balances in those accounts for each month in the next 12 columns followed by a total column for the year, it would be great to freeze the top row for the month labels, the left row for the account labels, the far right column for the year total and the bottom row for the total net income.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Shortcut for changing tabs in Excel on laptops that don't have Pg Up and Pg Down keys

Shortcut for changing tabs in Excel on laptops that don't have Pg Up and Pg Down keys

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base