Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. simplified ribbon

I do not need to use Excel to much, I want a simplified ribbon like outlook. is it possible?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. View two worksheets at once

I suggest an option to view two sheets from the same workbook at once. Maybe a moveable line from top-to-bottom where the sheet tabs appear in both side and you can choose different sheets for each side. This would simplify working on two sheets at once.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Protected and hidden content in an excel file is visible when opening in a smartphone.

Protected and hidden content in an excel file is visible when opening in a smartphone (iPhone 5s), ipad 2

Steps 1: Excel file was created with few columns hidden and worksheet was protected.

Step 2: File was sent through email

Step 3: File was open through the email, in a smart phone and also in ipad.

Output: The file showed the hidden content. Luckily, the file was verified before sending to public.

Hidden content doesn't fully work with all devices.

It works perfect where microsoft office is installed. If microsoft office ios not there in any device the system somehow…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Sort Comments

When reviewing and selecting 'Show comments', you should have the option to sort the comments in the window pane. I would like to sort comments by date and not be cell only.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Have a double freeze feature.

I need a double / multiple freeze feature. Imagine columns A to F - I have a sheet where I would like to freeze columns A & F so that I could horizontally scroll columns B, C , D and E - e.g. scroll through a defined mid-section.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please Allow Keyboard Shortcut Customizations In Excel.

Surprisingly Customizations In Keyboard Shortcuts Are Allowed For Excel In Mac And Not Windows Even When Both Excel And Windows Are Microsoft Trademark.
    Please Add Feature To Allow Keyboard Customizations To Excel As In Work For Aiding Ease Of Access To Various Commands As Per User Preferences.
    Thanks.

398 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

60 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Expand Dark Mode

Provide an option in dark mode in which the cell color defaults to black ( ie "no fill" results in a black background) and the text color defaults to white or light gray

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. When selecting a cell in Excel it would be good to highlight the entire cells of the row and column of that cell. Not select,just highlight

When selecting a cell in Excel it would be good to highlight the entire cells of the row and column of that cell. Not select, just highlight. It will make our life easier to millions of people that have to analyze data in large excel sheets.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. bring back the jump-to-last-tab buttons --

Please bring back the jump-to-last-tab buttons. Think of the person who works with 20+ tabs in every file. The missing button is becoming more and more frustrating the more I work in it. I don't want to have to use two hands (CTRL button). I dont want 3+ keystrokes to get there. I want to be able to click once and get to the last tab please?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Nested sheets

At the bottom of the screen is a row of worksheets. However when you get to Workbooks that contain say 20 or 30 or 50 worksheets, it becomes a true disaster to navigate around that many sheets. What would be very helpful would be if you could expand to two rows at the bottom. That in itself would be helpful. But the really neat thing would be is if you could nest-sheets within like a high level. So perhaps like a folder with sheets inside of it. So you have one row that is all the folders and then inside…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Exchange OST to PST Converter Software

With ATS OST to PST Converter software is always works like professional and amazingly recovers whole corrupted OST file data, to fulfil all these requirements invented a high-class data recovery solution which awesomely recovers lost OST file data and makes fully able to read OST file data into new PST file data. You can also convert your OST mailbox data into PST file with, safely converts all mail items of Offline folder (OST) file and saves them in new Outlook PST file, along with giving option to save as EML, MSG and PST file formats. It is extracts all the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Please make it easier for the eye to spot the active cell. The thin green lines are too hard to spot.

Give us the possibility to change the background color, of the active cell, to any color suites the user.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. you should be able to pin a workbook from inside the workbook.

you should be able to pin a workbook from inside the workbook. sometimes when i close the workbook, i look to pin it but it doesnt come up .

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add the ability to organize sheets in folders inside a workbook

We should be able to create folders inside the workbook to organize sheets better. This could help in a variety of industries, especially for accounting departments.

An example of this idea would be for an accounting department in a company with multiple locations. With folders, you could store transactions for all locations in a single workbook with each location having a folder and and each day in the month having it's own sheet.

It could also be used for a company with a single location but with many employees. You could have a folder for each department in that location…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Center the view while zooming [ctrl+wheel] around the position of the cursor (also Powerpoint and Word)

Zooming on an area of page with the mouse wheel should centre on the position of the cursor (just like CAD and PDF applications do), but Excel (and all Office apps) do this crazy thing where they ignore the position of the cursor, and zoom seemingly randonly resulting inevitable panning after zooming. It's obvious that the user wants to zoom in on the position at which they are looking (ie, where the mouse is pointing). It would be great if you could make it so :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ability to Remove "Page 1" / Page number watermark from page break preview view

Please allow for us to toggle off the page number watermark when using page break preview.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Symbol at the right corner of the cell when data validation is applied

Right now, the drop- down arrow appears only after the particular cell (with data validation) is selected. My suggestion is that it appears all-the-time to show which cells in the sheets, the user has to fill manually & which have dropdown. (this already works in Google Sheets).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Active Cell - Highlight or grid mark

Sometimes it hard to find your location on a sheet so it would be nice to have an option that once ticked, it will draw row and/or column lines around the active cell or highlight the active cell for you. The addone in this link used to do such a job http://www.cpearson.com/excel/RowLiner.htm but it does not work in office 365. This option should be inbuilt in the view ribbon. One should be able to set it for specific excel files only but each time you open a file the default setting you selected should apply.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a Feature to allow one to group Sheets in Excel

Often when one creates an Excel model with lots of sheets, it would be efficient to group tabs and have a Grouped Tab displayed at the bottom. This would allow efficient navigation as you have a group displayed in the tab section of excel which expands upon clicking to allow selection of an actual sheet. You have a grouping feature similar to what I ask in OneNote, which I love using. My insider e-mail is jeromehairstonjr@live.com

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base