Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Visually show which cells are selected even when another application has focus

Currently, when I select one or more cells and then switch to another application, the boundary box and shading for the selected cells are not shown. Other Office applications exhibit this behavior as well--selection highlighting is only displayed when the program has focus. Many (most?) non-Office applications show the highlighting at all times.

It would be far more useful to be able to glance at the spreadsheet and see which cells are selected, even when working in another program.

418 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

22 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion E Bow. Thanks for taking the time to tell us about changes you’d like to see – we’re listening. We’ll take a look at this one. As always, folks should keep voting for the things they like the most – we’ll generally be prioritizing things according to the number of votes they get.

Cheers,
      John [MS XL]

• Scrolling while writing or editing a formula

It used to be possible to scroll around the screen using the mouse wheel while writing formulas - to find the cell reference to include in the formula. Now only the scroll bar can be used. This is particularly painful in large sheets as the scroll bars are not sensitive enough to find the right cell easily.
      Thanks for considering

22 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Don't Allow Modal Dialogs to Go Behind Excel Windows

The move in Excel 2013 to use an SDI instead of an MDI has caused some rather serious problems with modal dialogs. There are many ways this can bite you, but the easiest one to describe in this forum is this:

1. Open Excel 2013 or 2016
        2. Make sure there are two different workbooks open and maximize both their windows.
        3. Go to VBA and in the immediate window type MsgBox "X" and execute it.
        4. The display switches back to the active spreadsheet and there's a "X" in a modal dialog on top of it, as expected.
        5.…

7 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like in other aplications, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

68 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Dynamic Freeze Panes

Freeze panes are a really useful way of having some column headings always visible as you scroll around a sheet.

However, on a sheet with multiple tables or lists of data, the column headings may be different for each table, so can't be included in the freeze pane. As you scroll through the table you then lose sight of the column headings, making the table harder to use and understand.

It would be great to have dynamic freeze panes in addition to the overall sheet freeze pane. As you're scrolling down a particular table the header row of that table…

16 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • A "tree" view like worksheet explorer for grouping worksheet and navigating worksheets. Similar to windows explorer for files/folders n

A "tree" view of worksheets explorer. For grouping of worksheet and navigation of worksheets. Similar to Windows explorer for files/folders management and navigation. The "tree" worksheet explorer shall appear vertically at the side of the excel software window. This will also speed up the navigation when compare to navigating the worksheets by scrolling the worksheets horizontally

5 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • make an option to shade a row/column as you scroll in a large spreadsheet. This is so you know you are in the correct row/column.

make a option to lightly shade the row and column you are working in so you can not confuse it with another row/column on the worksheet.

2 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Freeze pane for bottom row(s) of a range

It would be good to be able to freeze one or more bottom lines (as well as the headers) of a range or table to be able to keep things like totals in view at all times.
                  Similarly, freezing columns on the right hand side of the sheet would be useful sometimes.

22 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • When you go to the "move or copy" tab icon, it would be easier if that drop down list included the highlights that I've added to each tab.

When you go to the "move or copy" tab icon, it would be easier if that drop down list included the highlights that I've added to each tab.

2 votes
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Allow personalized tab display

Allow for drag and drop of tabs from standard horizontal view (like Windows Taskbar) to vertical view (kind of like OneNote).

My boss is tab happy and I often have to keep selecting move over to see the names. Often, I have to then go back to find what I need. A list display on the right or left would allow me to quickly jump (and it would be a cleaner look).

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • New Slicers - combo boxes and an option for cascading slicers.

Sometimes slicers take up too much screen real estate or have too many members which hinders the UI experience. Searchable combo boxes and a cascading option where slicers only appear if a parent slicer was first selected would help address this and give more option to designers for creating a better experience.

4 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability to zoom (or set zoom) when embedding a spreadsheet in an iframe

When i embed a spreadsheet, that resides in sharepoint, using the <embed> option from O365, I should be able to specify a zoom factor, or make the spread sheet scale with the size of the /iframe

4 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Word Processor sheet in a workbook

I often have to include extensive notes, or an introduction to explain the use or purpose of a spreadsheet.
                            It would be good if there was a type of worksheet that could be inserted that was basically just a Word document.

15 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

75 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Alphabetically sort sheets/worksheets in a workbook

When working with large data sets, I often ended up with 50+ sheets of data, and each sheet was named by a given convention. To my knowledge, there isn't a way to sort them alphanumerically without a macro. Giving the user the ability to sort so that a1 is first then a2,b1,b2,etc rather than having to sort by hand or use a macro would be seriously amazing.

16 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • New Window Maintain Zoom Level

Duplicate the Zoom Level from the active window when I click on New Window. Currently jumps to 100%.

7 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Ctrl+Tab to switch between worksheets (2)

Re the earlier idea being declined.

Ctrl+ page up/down only cycles sequentially thru sheets.

What was asked for was the ability to toggle between the two last opened sheets, regardless of where they are situated relative to each other.

8 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Switch to previous tab by clicking currently active one (as an option).

After (temporary) jump to some tab (sheet) in the same workbook, often I would like to return to the previously active sheet. So I need to look for the proper tab and not always it's easy. It would be much easier to activate the previous one just by clicking currently active tab. This feature could be optional.

3 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• freeze heading row

Typical scenario:
                                        - Freeze the heading row of data
                                        - When you scroll down, the only way to see you have moved down is to look at the row indicators. When copying and pasting or updating formulas in a many col spreadsheet, this sometimes leads to silly errors.
                                        - Can the separator below the freezed row (i.e. headings) change to a different colour when you have scrolled down, e.g. blue, or the row ids change color (as they do for a filter).

6 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• A feature to find same text (tag) in a target document (without using hyperlinks) based on selected cell in source sheet

Usually in testing and may be in other areas, we map our test cases (in source workbook) to test conditions ( in target workbook). The available options to give reference or hyperlinks is not only cumbersome but is also error prone if changes are made in target workbook. I created a simple macro today that takes the target file location reference in source file and than based on which cell a user has selected in source sheet, by clicking on macro, it will take me to the cell with same tag name in target sheet. What it means is we…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base