Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I have sight problems. How can you make the navigation bars and error messages show up in larger or bolder type.

The box to the right of this space titled excel for Windows(Desktop Applications) is close to unreadable in that light blue upper and lowercase type. All of the sysem boxes need a way to be made more readable of the sight impaired. All of the navigation boxes at the top of a spreadsheet need a way to control their sized to. My eyes are getting worse and I want to still work with excell but its almost betting to the point that I cannot work. In this box the type is bold enought to work with but the box below…

2 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER

It is necessary to add A UNIVERSAL SHEETS AND WORKBOOKS MANAGER similar to file manager for OS. Plus different small features as toggling, vertical tabs and so on.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Modernize Excel Comments - make them reply-able, open on-screen, etc.

2 Decades or longer office use, and still this is an issue in Excel2016/Office 365. Any cell that has a comment attached but is at the edge of the screen/windows shows up off-screen, thus invisible. Many a macro was written and re-searches performed how to get them still to show, but it's all arduous if not pitiful. Please get this fixed ASAP.

As suggestion add the ability to attach pop-up comments to shapes. Right now you can put them in cells under the shape, but when sheet is protected or shape is moved, resized the hover over is left behind…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Customizing Windows Color and Appearance in Windows 10 (especially for Selected Items and Windows)

I am an avid user of Microsoft Excel. The first thing I have always done when I get a new computer is set up the Windows Color and Appearance settings by customizing the variance options listed under "Item:" (See bottom of my post). For instance, I like to have the Window item a shade of gray and and the Selected Items item a darker shade of gray. This allows me to operate in Excel more quickly. I've been doing this for a long time, but for some reason with either Windows 10 or the latest version of Excel 2016, I…

7 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• When opening a spreadsheet when Excel is minized do NOT first bring to the desktop an already opened/minized spreadsheet

When opening a workbook that I have saved on my hard drive, if I already have an open workbook that is minimized, excel first brings up the minimized workbook to the desktop and the foreground, then displays the one you are opening. Now, to get back to the desktop view I had before opening my workbook I have to minimize 2 workbooks.

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• I want to define my own Office Theme (to go along with White, Light, Dark, and Black)

I want to change excel theme to whatever I like and whatever color I want so please enable this option, right now there is only 3 themes so I can choose only want

10 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Allow hidded cells, columns, rows to be viewed without viewing unhidded items.

There is not a way to view only hidden items. This is becoming more important as I present data to upper management so I can tell if information has been deleted or just hidden before I save the file.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Scroll to object from Selection Pane

From the Selection Pane, there should be some way to scroll to a chosen object, regardless of the object's visibility. This would be much like what the Go To window (shortcut: Ctrl + G) is for references. Simply having an object be visible does little help to locate it in a large sheet.

2 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Prevent Power Query view from jumping all the way back to row 1

I've got a query that I'm trying to troubleshoot. Basically: what's causing row 288 to be imported but it's not showing up at the end of the query?

I wanted to step through the query to see exactly when record 288 fell out. However, after every step the query view jumped back to row 1, and I'd scroll back to see if the right entry was still on row 288.

I'd at least like an option to keep the view where I put it.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Duplicate the "Scroll to the last/next sheet" on the right hand side of the status bar

When we want to view/select worksheets to the right, it is intuitive to have the "Scroll to the last/next sheet" on the right hand side of the status bar. This could be achieved either as a duplicate of those options or moving those actions to the right.

2 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Apply View > Formula Bar at sheet level

The options in the View ribbon, Show group are not consistent in their behaviour. Ruler, Grid lines and Headings are applied at the sheet level. But Formula Bar is applied at the application level, so even other workbooks will show/hide the formula bar according to the setting in the current sheet.

Please apply the View Formula Bar only at sheet level, so that other sheets and workbooks are not affected.

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • auto hidding window watch, I would like to suggest and option to or not to auto hide window was,currently is autohiddend once using other ap

Never auto hide window watch at most give user option, as it auto hide automatically currently when using other app .i.e calculator

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• New idea for newest version of Excel (3D version)

Each Workbook will have a few sections, and each section will has a few WorkSheets.and finaly each Worksheet has many data like old versions. Summary it means : data devided in sections and sheets (3D version). I Create 3 Pictures for this idea , in this link : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qiqk0lk6hg681q8/AADxueKciHMyWJwBbPiV1yuba?dl=0
                            E-mail address:
                            shariflotfi@yahoo.com

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Have a way to set default open behavior to Open Excel in a New Instance

Currently Excel opens each workbook in a new window, but it is not a new Instance of Excel. The only way I've found to truly open in a new instance is to right click on Excel in the Taskbar then and then while holding down the "Alt" key left click on "Excel 2016". That would be fine except if I open something from the web it goes into a random instance that I have open. It is difficult to tell which files are open in which instances since they all "look" like they are in different instances.

Some of my…

5 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

Top and bottom row freezing should be possible so one can see both headings and the outcome at bottom while editing sheets

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create a scratchpad for taking notes while working in Excel to store "ToDo's", copied data, temporary data, etc.

I'd really appreciate if there will be a window pane (similar to "Selection Pane" for objects) within Excel where I can copy/paste/fill temporary data that could serve as a reminder or reference to whatever I'm working on or for whatever purpose it may serve. Currently, my workaround to this is to open Notepad and Excel side-by-side, adjust the size of Notepad and Excel to fit window height, adjust Notepad width enough to fill some data but small enough to still view lots of data in Excel. The problem with this approach is whenever I would like to view more data…

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Better productivity-oriented interface (allow dialogs to be modeless, make everything dockable panes)

As a production tool, drop the ribbon and go to proven high-productivity paradigms with tool palettes, such as exist with Adobe products as Photoshop and InDesign. Being able to arrange direct access to tools on a second monitor provides for far better ease of use and understanding of options.

6 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Optimize visual space for the Formula Bar

If the Formula Bar is expanded to >1 line, then the "✗ ✓ fx" box should be moved below the Name Box. This gives more horizontal space for the Formula Bar.

We should also have an option to remove these 2 boxes. Their functionality can be gotten from the Formulas tab. For me, sacrificing this rarely-needed accessibility to these features is worth it to get a bigger Formula Bar.

2 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Option for less "white space"

ALL newer Office apps: Give us an OPTION for SIGNIFICANT reduction of white space. I typically fill all the jump lists and pinned documents with various documents that I routinely have to access. '16 Office apps don't show NEARLY enough - even when I pin what I can and put others in the jump lists. I have to scroll, and it still doesn't always show them all.
                                        NO white space needed for some of us-please use smaller font and crowd stuff in. Allow the alternatives for those who don't like crowding.
                                        THANKS!

4 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Provide a way to determine which instance a particular Excel window belongs to.

I use Excel 2013 at the office and always have multiple instances open, with multiple windows open in each.

Two important things this would help with are: 1) Clipboard functionality differs for inter- and intra-instance use; 2) Running long calculations (ie, Solver) ties up an entire instance.

It would be very useful to have a way to identify which instance a particular window belongs to. An instance number or name in the titlebar of each window seems like a good, unobtrusive solution.

4 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base