Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

Scroll horizontally by pressing Shift+Wheel scroll, or with mice that support side scroll, like in other aplications, like Adobe Reader, Chrome, IE...

164 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

47 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Alternate F1 key function

A running joke in some professional services industries is the physical removal of the F1 key to save the time spent exiting the help dialog when the key is accidentally pressed.

What about having a setting to enable an alternate function for the F1 key ?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Automatically Scroll To Top Left Cell A1 When Opening an Excel Spreadsheet

Whenever I open a new Excel 2016 spreadsheet, the spreadsheet opens so I only see the bottom and right end of the spreadsheet. As a result, I did not fill in the required information on the spreadsheet in the left-most columns because they were not plainly visible. The entire spreadsheet could have been shown on my display without zoom. I know this behavior can be changed by using a macro, but I feel this should be a core feature of Excel. Please make it so Excel spreadsheets automatically open with the scroll to the top left cell (A1) by default.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Right Click Panning

Allow a right click and hold to act like the panning hand.

It would make scrolling and moving around in a document much easier and faster.

Currently some mouse driver allow the middle button to let you pan but it is inverse to the natural convention for panning elsewhere in software.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. I want to define my own Office Theme (to go along with White, Light, Dark, and Black)

I want to change excel theme to whatever I like and whatever color I want so please enable this option, right now there is only 3 themes so I can choose only want

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. One click (instead of two) to select another cell in an unfocused window

One click (instead of two) to select another cell in an unfocused window would save time.

Just like you can click links once in an unfocused Chrome window to open the link.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 99% of my day I start at excel. Can we get a proper dark theme

99% of my day I start at excel. Can we get a proper dark theme that changes it all to dark since it will be easier to look at?

I want it to change the text to black background, white text, as well as the borders and edges. It should just be a quick button, be able to be customized to the ribbon for a quick click.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Tool to use arrows in order to highlight one full row at a time

Currently, if you select a full row and then hit the down arrow, it will jump down to the left-most cell below the row you had selected. Since many people go through row by row to analyze data, it would be helpful if you could use the arrows to go up and down while highlighting/selecting one full row at a time. The workaround most people use for this is shading every other row so it is easy to see which row each cell belongs to.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Escape to deselect selected cells other than the current cell

I think the escape key is underused. It would be good if we could deselect selected cells other than the current cell by pressing escape.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. View Data Links Between Worksheets to know if any other worksheets are linked to it

I would like to be able to view the connections between worksheets in a single excel file (which worksheets have formulas referencing a particular worksheet). I realize I can search for a worksheet name in the other worksheets, but I would like a simple view to say sheet 1 is connected to sheets 4, 5 and 6 and sheet 2 has no connections.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Escape key to 'drop' dragged cell contents

I think the escape key is underused. It would be good if we could 'drop' cell contents that we accidentally dragged by clicking and dragging a cell border using the escape key.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Agrupar pestañas

Actualmente tengo un libro con más de 200 hojas, me gustaria que excel pudiera agrupar esas 200 para tener acceso más facil.
    Mi ejemplo en particular es el siguiente, yo tengo un libro de excel con más de 200 hojas y aproximadamente son de 4 temas diferentes, es decir 50 hojas traen el mismo formato y solo cambia los datos de clientes, otras 50 hojas con el mismo formato y unicamente el contenido es el que cambia.
    Para mí sería muy funcional poder hacer subcarpetas o agrupar los libros en "capitulos" es lo que se me ocurre.

Saludos

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Have a way to set default open behavior to Open Excel in a New Instance

Currently Excel opens each workbook in a new window, but it is not a new Instance of Excel. The only way I've found to truly open in a new instance is to right click on Excel in the Taskbar then and then while holding down the "Alt" key left click on "Excel 2016". That would be fine except if I open something from the web it goes into a random instance that I have open. It is difficult to tell which files are open in which instances since they all "look" like they are in different instances.

Some of my…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. I have sight problems. How can you make the navigation bars and error messages show up in larger or bolder type.

The box to the right of this space titled excel for Windows(Desktop Applications) is close to unreadable in that light blue upper and lowercase type. All of the sysem boxes need a way to be made more readable of the sight impaired. All of the navigation boxes at the top of a spreadsheet need a way to control their sized to. My eyes are getting worse and I want to still work with excell but its almost betting to the point that I cannot work. In this box the type is bold enought to work with but the box below…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

39 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. In Excel 2016 'Help' window add 'increase/decrease' font size for ease of reading.

Currently after accessing the Excel 2016 'Help' window there is a choice to 'size' the window or 'close' it. Adding 'font size' +- for ease of reading would be useful.
    The worksheet is zoomed but that doesn't effect the 'Help' window' which it shouldn't.
    Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create a scratchpad for taking notes while working in Excel to store "ToDo's", copied data, temporary data, etc.

I'd really appreciate if there will be a window pane (similar to "Selection Pane" for objects) within Excel where I can copy/paste/fill temporary data that could serve as a reminder or reference to whatever I'm working on or for whatever purpose it may serve. Currently, my workaround to this is to open Notepad and Excel side-by-side, adjust the size of Notepad and Excel to fit window height, adjust Notepad width enough to fill some data but small enough to still view lots of data in Excel. The problem with this approach is whenever I would like to view more data…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Scrolling while writing or editing a formula

It used to be possible to scroll around the screen using the mouse wheel while writing formulas - to find the cell reference to include in the formula. Now only the scroll bar can be used. This is particularly painful in large sheets as the scroll bars are not sensitive enough to find the right cell easily.
    Thanks for considering

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Option for less "white space"

ALL newer Office apps: Give us an OPTION for SIGNIFICANT reduction of white space. I typically fill all the jump lists and pinned documents with various documents that I routinely have to access. '16 Office apps don't show NEARLY enough - even when I pin what I can and put others in the jump lists. I have to scroll, and it still doesn't always show them all.
    NO white space needed for some of us-please use smaller font and crowd stuff in. Allow the alternatives for those who don't like crowding.
    THANKS!

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Please allow for expansion of all text boxes (e.g. when tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d))

When tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d), Excel does not allow you to expand the text box so that you can see the whole reference to the cell, making life difficult when tracing dependents.

And I am sure there are lots of other cases when the same applies, so please can you make this simple update to Excel to expand any text box.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base