Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Keep existing window settings (zoom, panes, etc.) by default when opening new window

When a new window is opened, the window settings such as zoom level, freeze panes, view/hide gridlines, etc. are ignored in the new window. It seems common sense that by default, I would want to start with the same settings as I already had.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. various locations have screened (light) fonts that can't be changed and they are difficult to read.

various locations have screened (light) fonts that can't be changed and they are difficult to read.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Worst Excel Ever

worst iteration of excel (or office) ever. Allow multiple spreadsheets in one iteration, or at least the ability to look at a sum of cells in one iteration while using another. So much time is being wasted.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. View Color Formatting

Discovered that there was an update to Office version 1708, which took away the ability to view worksheets or the Page Layout in color. The previous versions 1609 and 1701 allows you to view the worksheets in color.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Why don't we have in Excel a navigation pane?!

Why don't we have in Excel a navigation pane instead of that little (Activate Window) as shown in the attached screenshot?!

We want a navigation pane that has advanced features, not only to navigate between worksheets but also to navigate between open workbooks.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow sheets to float - detach from the workbook tab bar to show more than one at once

Many users are now using multiple screens, and complex multi-sheet workbooks. You should allow excel to detach sheets from the tab bar, to allow several to be open at once (within the same workbook) This would allow users to change variables on one sheet and observe effects in graphs or results sheets without having to switch between them each time. It would also allow workbooks to spill over onto a second screen to make better use of the available space.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Comment Facility added to Sheet Tabs

As workbooks become more complex and more shared, they would benefit from being more clear to both the creator and users that haven't created the workbook. There is already a feature to add comment to cells to explain the contents of the cell. The same feature should be applied to the tabs on each worksheet so that a reader can understand what the tab is there for and what it is trying to achieve, without having to open the tab. It would also make tab names easier to understand. Someone sharing a workbook could then quickly see what sheets are…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Status bar change in Excel 2016

We recently upgraded from Office 2010 to Office 2016 Pro Plus. In Excel 2010 you could highlight a column of cells and it would sum and average them. You could then click on another spreadsheet running on a second screen and the sum and average would still show on the status bar on the first sheet. Now on Office 2016 the sum and average on the non focused spreadsheet disappears. This was very handy for financial folks who wanted to make quick sums to transfer on demand to a new sheet. It would be great if those values stayed visible…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Background

Need more color for the background, white is too light, dark grey is too dark and I don't like the green background for excel 2016

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
    - trying to position a shape
    - Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

3,120 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

838 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for all of the passion about this suggestion! The number of votes has increased greatly in the last couple months and we’re taking notice! We’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already and we’re evaluating getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Eric Patterson (Program Manager – MSFT)

11. Scroll to last tab in workbook

In Excel 2010+, the arrow function that takes the user to the furthest right tab in the workbook was removed. Why? I rely on keyboard shortcuts for 90% of my time in Excel but there ins't one for this function (that I'm aware of) and it slows me down when I'm working on a workbook with over a dozen tabs.

As I mentioned, I heavily rely on shortcuts so if the solution here is adding a keyboard shortcut then I am all for it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Tab tree

It would be extremely helpful if the first "tab" of a workbook was a tree (similar to Windows Explorer) that listed all the tabs in the workbook and also allowed grouping of tabs. The tree could link to all the tabs and if a group of tabs were grouped, then it would expand that group and show the tabl in the group you selected.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Single Excel window with all workbooks opened in it: please bring it back the quickest!!!

Single Excel window with all workbooks opened in it: please bring it back the quickest!!!

When working with large data in many workbooks and sheets, you get lost so easily into the so many opened excel windows!!! I have downgraded from Office 2013 to 2007 because of this missing feature! Please...

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Excel Tabs

Can we make the tabs on excel move with the arrows when moving from one tab to the other rather than to move the tabs then having to select the desired tab to work on. Like it works for Corel Draw.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Reduce height of Excel Formula Bar, Heading and Gridlines

There is a ridiculous waste of height. Reduce the 3.5 mm-high bars between the rows to about 0.5 mm-height and removing 6 bars increases the work area height by almost 2 cms. Reducing the 'cell'-height for the Formula Bar, Heading and Gridlines themselves will also advantageously gain work area height. i.e. revert to 'height-layout' used in previous versions, such as Excel 2010.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Show selected cells, rows, columns when window is inactive

Currently selected cells, rows, and columns are invisible when the Excel window is inactive and another window is in the foreground. I would rather have selected cells in an inactive window be visually highlighted, perhaps with a special inactive color, rather than be invisible. This would help me cross-reference information from other programs with large Excel spreadsheets.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. I want to have the row I have selected stay "highlighted" while I work in a different workbook

I would like to be able to select a row in Workbook A and have it darken the row without changing the colors (light blue becomes slightly darker blue and so forth), while I am working in Workbook B (usually on another screen). I have to visually compare the data in very large pages and loose my place in A when I click on B to make a change.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Please stop destroying short cut keys

This latest update makes reopening a recent file a big pain. I'm a power user who uses short cut keys almost exclusively. After a major bout of tendonitis/mouse-itis, I learned most of the short cut keys (in the 1990's). I'm glad that most of them still work. They are efficient and save so much time and effort. However, every update seems to mess them up. I have 2 files pinned that are huge so I often have to open and close them. I used to just hit Alt F, R, 1 (or 2). One update a while back messed up…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sum total display at the bottom

In a prior version - when working on two spreadsheets on two monitors, the sum display in the bottom bar (right side) REMAINED when switching to the other screen. Now it disappears as soon as you switch to the other spreadsheet/monitor. WHY take AWAY such a handy function. Now, I have to create a SUM box for each spreadsheet. Don't make it harder - PLEASE make it easier!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Multiple Level Worksheet Option

I have workbooks that have 70+ worksheets used for quoting (product, customer, pricing, etc.). It is becoming increasingly difficult to manage this many worksheets. I would love to be able to characterize each worksheet (e.g. under the Product worksheet, there would be sub-worksheets for Product1, Product2, Product3, etc.). Then I could perform functions (hide, un-hide, protect, print, etc.) at either a worksheet level or the sub-worksheet level.

Related to this, I would love to be able to create a worksheet that would allow the user to specify what worksheets or sub-worksheets are applicable to this quote and all others are…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base