Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add More Functions to the Status Bar

First of all, those simple functions that are visible in status bar are amazing. They are quite helpful but I feel that it can do more. Here are my ideas:

1. Be able to see the difference between values in STATUS BAR. It wouldn't make sense to include the sign because I don't know how it's going to be implemented easily for users, without requiring few clicks. But most of the time, we just wanted to quickly see the ABSOLUTE difference.

2. Be able to set customized functions (or combination of functions) in the STATUS BAR. For example: EXACT for comparing two…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. X & Y axis highlight when ever the cell is selected.

X & Y axis highlight when ever the cell is selected. The feature can be disabled by settings options.
    This helps to see the big size files and data while searching / checking related stuffs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Page breaks in normal view are nearly impossible to see

Page breaks in normal view are nearly impossible to see - the line indicating the page break is hardly any thicker than the normal cell line. If there are borders on a sheet, the page break becomes totally invisible. Of course, there is page break view and page layout, but they are no good for working with complex sheets, but where page layout needs to be respected.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Scroll to last tab in workbook

In Excel 2010+, the arrow function that takes the user to the furthest right tab in the workbook was removed. Why? I rely on keyboard shortcuts for 90% of my time in Excel but there ins't one for this function (that I'm aware of) and it slows me down when I'm working on a workbook with over a dozen tabs.

As I mentioned, I heavily rely on shortcuts so if the solution here is adding a keyboard shortcut then I am all for it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Zoom Magnification choices between 75% and 110%

Simply add in 80%, 85%, 90%, 95% zoom option buttons

I almost never use 25%, 50%, 200% and I doubt many users do use these choices much if ever.

The 75% choice always seems a bit too small to be useful, so I regularly have to Custom zoom to something between 75% and 100%.

Adding more choice between 75% and up to 110% would add considerable convenience.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow sheets to float - detach from the workbook tab bar to show more than one at once

Many users are now using multiple screens, and complex multi-sheet workbooks. You should allow excel to detach sheets from the tab bar, to allow several to be open at once (within the same workbook) This would allow users to change variables on one sheet and observe effects in graphs or results sheets without having to switch between them each time. It would also allow workbooks to spill over onto a second screen to make better use of the available space.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. We need NEW feedback from Admins on this topic

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9769824-have-excel-scroll-better-when-there-are-large-cell

The following topic has topped the charts on this forum but has not received input from an admin in 2 years! This needs to be addressed.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Pull a sheet out of Excel in much the same way pulling a tab from a browser can create a new window.

In modern browsers a user can grab a tab, pull it out of the browser creating a new window. And then the user can place it back into the original browser along with the other tabs. Having a dual monitor setup, I would like the option to grab a tab (sheet) in Excel and move it to the second monitor, work on both sheets at the same time and then grab the secondary monitor sheet and place it back in the workbook. Literally just drag and drop instead of creating a new workbook and merging the workbooks.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Increase zoom to 500%

Increase maximum zoom to 500%

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Re-enable custom QAT icon creation

In past versions we could easily create custom icons for macros assigned to the QAT. Please bring this feature back.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Show selected cells, rows, columns when window is inactive

Currently selected cells, rows, and columns are invisible when the Excel window is inactive and another window is in the foreground. I would rather have selected cells in an inactive window be visually highlighted, perhaps with a special inactive color, rather than be invisible. This would help me cross-reference information from other programs with large Excel spreadsheets.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Quicker find tool, more like what web browsers have

The popup "Find" window is so last decade. Can we have a quicker find tool? Word has a "Navigation" sidebar that makes searching so much easier - because of the nature of Excel spreadsheets it might be better to have a horizontal bar rather than a vertical sidebar.

I do a lot of searching within Excel workbooks, and one EXTREMELY annoying thing about the existing Find window is that the Ctrl+A shortcut for "Select All" doesn't work. But let's just get rid of that dialog altogether and replace it with a modern, integrated interface.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. DOUBLE SERIES OF TABS.

Why not have vertical tabs as well? For each sheet on the lower part of the screen, there would be several "sub-sheets" available on the vertical left of the screen.
    This exists already more or less in OneNote and is very useful to locate items and retrieve them.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ctrl+F should have "Find previous" button

Ctrl+F should have "Find previous" button

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Dont show names/tables from hidden sheets

I have a lot of tables in hidden sheets to configure workbook.The user dont need to know about this tables, but they can see in 'name box'.

Please, don't show hidden tables (and names) from hidden sheets, Also, it is useless, click in names does nothing.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Make the ribbon narrower in 2016 version. It takes too much of the workspace

Screen real state has been reduced too much in 2016

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. The name of the file should appear at the top of page before the file is saved

A file name should appear when clicking Ctl-S and we should be able to edit the file name/directory before it saves it to the default.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Side By Side Snap

Implement the Windows 7 Snap concept within Excel itself to allow for quicker sizing and side by side comparison of two spreadsheets. Add corner snap feature to allow up to four same sized spreadsheets in one viewer.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Please let me look at two files at once

I constantly have to go back and forth between two spreadsheets in two different document. Excel does not allow me to have two windows open at once. When I look at one file it hides the other. So yet again I have to print one excel sheet in order to work on another. Please allow two windows to appear at once.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. tabs

The Excell tab system would be nice if it could be grouped like microsoft onenote

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base