Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. comparing spreadsheets

you need to add a feature like the 3rd party add-in "Synkronizer" for comparing/contrasting Spreadsheet files.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Kill the Scroll Lock key

I believe that the much-loathed "functionality" (if one can call it that) of the Scroll Lock key dates back to the era of Lotus 1-2-3. If Scroll Lock is on, instead of the arrow keys moving your cursor, they change the rows or columns that are visible in the window.

If it is turned on, it is usually because someone has bumped the key by accident and now wonders why "Excel isn't working properly". I have NEVER met anyone who has used it intentionally, which is not to say that such people do not exist, but I have met a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show tabs in more than one row at the bottom of a sheet.

Show tabs in more than one row at the bottom of a sheet. The formula bar can be extended to display more than one row, so why not the tabs? It would help in files with many tabs to navigate directly.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Split Scree from Slide Bars instead of just Menu

Previous versions of Excel had the ability to split the screen by dragging handles from vertical and horizontal slide bars. Now you can only initiate the split from the menu. The old way gave much more control over this feature. Please restore this feature.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. unprotected / protected sheet indicator

Add a red / green indicator icon in the status bar to show if the activesheet is protected or unprotected.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. make it easier for the eye to spot the active cell. The thin green lines are too hard to spot

Allow for formatting of the box that highlights the active cell

158 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

48 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. different level of access on the same excel 2016

Is there any way or possibility to hide specific cells in an excel workbook for specific users?
    Meaning, i want user1 to have full access on that excel file, user2 and user3 can only view a range of cells but without editing permissions.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Hyperlinks in Office 365 need to better link among all 365 programs, i.e. Excel<-> OneNote, etc.

OneNote allows easy linking and navigation among and within Notes. Excel allows hyperlinks using a different protocol. But the Offfice 365 suite of programs should be able to share links transparently among all Office 365 components.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Freezing panes

I would like to be able to freeze the top row and the 1st column at the same time. Why is it not so? That'd be nice if it would.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Restore MDI file handling (open all files in one window); Kill SDI (each spreadsheet opens in a seperate window)

In the good versions of Excel (prior to 2007) one could open multiple workbooks in the same window. Now, one has multiple instances of Excel (and every other Office app) whenever one opens more than one document / spreadsheet.

Again, here are the issues:

1. Stability - I experience ~3X Excel crashes in 2016 (SDI) as compared to 2010 (MDI)

2. Screen Space / Real Estate - Drastically reduced screen space when each workbook requires its own Ribbon, Quick Access Toolbar and Formula Bar

3. Toolbar to Workbook Confusion - One Ribbon + Quick Access Toolbar + Formula Bar to control all workbooks…
    1,260 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

960 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for all of the votes – the team has definitely taken notice of the activity around this issue. We moved to SDI as a result of customer requests, but it looks like we’ve got work to do to really nail the use cases people care about. From a read over the comments, I see a number of cases that we will want to investigate further as we think through MDI vs SDI. We’ll get someone from the team to take a deeper look, and we may reach out to some of you for more clarification as we go. Thanks again for all the voting and passion here!

John, Excel

12. Go back to 2010 QAT icon sizes

Use the smaller sizes so we can get more icons on the QAT bar.

Also, as others have suggested, increase the number of icons we can choose from.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add Ability to Make Folders for Moving and Grouping Tabs, in Order to Save Space in Bottom Taskbar.

On the bottom of Excel, where the multiple tabs are located for viewing and for opening, have the ability to create folders that can hold multiple excel tabs.

I sometimes run into the issue of having too many tabs present and i have to look for them. Having similar ones in a folder would keep them grouped and organized, while also clearing up a lot of space.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Tab selector

Please add a small button on the bottom left that will list all the worksheets and allow easy selection. Constantly clicking to get to the last sheet on the workbook or to a specific sheet is time consuming when your workbook contains more than 10 sheets.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Hover Color for selected cells (Row & Column Headers) ... should be more destinctive

When selecting Areas ,Rows or column the hover colors is not so clear ...you cann't visualize the location or address of selected cells by eyes unless you zoom in or choose a darker theme .... Please make it more destinctive or at least more controlable ...thank in advance

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. I would love the option to disable F1 from calling up the Help window, or to enable closing the Help window with the Escape key

One of the very common things I do in Excel is to go down a column and edit each value. So on the highlighted cell I press the 'F2' key so I can edit. I enter or change the value in the cell then press 'Enter' to get to the next row. I press 'F2' again, repeat until the end.

The problem is that very often I accidentally press the 'F1' key when I'm reaching for 'F2'. This of course opens the Help window. My natural inclination is to press 'Esc' to close the window (just like with the Find/Replace…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Page breaks in normal view are nearly impossible to see

Page breaks in normal view are nearly impossible to see - the line indicating the page break is hardly any thicker than the normal cell line. If there are borders on a sheet, the page break becomes totally invisible. Of course, there is page break view and page layout, but they are no good for working with complex sheets, but where page layout needs to be respected.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. title bar should be able to show file path and name, not just name

When opening workbooks, the full file path as well as the file name should show in the title bar. Currently only the name shows and since at times multiple versions of the same file are needed, but saved in different folders, it would be helpful to see the full path. I know I could have the path show in a cell of the workbook, but that involves programming a cell in each workbook, an inconvenience that showing the full path in the title bar would easily deal with.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add More Functions to the Status Bar

First of all, those simple functions that are visible in status bar are amazing. They are quite helpful but I feel that it can do more. Here are my ideas:

1. Be able to see the difference between values in STATUS BAR. It wouldn't make sense to include the sign because I don't know how it's going to be implemented easily for users, without requiring few clicks. But most of the time, we just wanted to quickly see the ABSOLUTE difference.

2. Be able to set customized functions (or combination of functions) in the STATUS BAR. For example: EXACT for comparing two…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. X & Y axis highlight when ever the cell is selected.

X & Y axis highlight when ever the cell is selected. The feature can be disabled by settings options.
    This helps to see the big size files and data while searching / checking related stuffs.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base