Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. make an option to shade a row/column as you scroll in a large spreadsheet. This is so you know you are in the correct row/column.

make a option to lightly shade the row and column you are working in so you can not confuse it with another row/column on the worksheet.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. New Slicers - combo boxes and an option for cascading slicers.

Sometimes slicers take up too much screen real estate or have too many members which hinders the UI experience. Searchable combo boxes and a cascading option where slicers only appear if a parent slicer was first selected would help address this and give more option to designers for creating a better experience.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Switch to previous tab by clicking currently active one (as an option).

After (temporary) jump to some tab (sheet) in the same workbook, often I would like to return to the previously active sheet. So I need to look for the proper tab and not always it's easy. It would be much easier to activate the previous one just by clicking currently active tab. This feature could be optional.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Color commas within a set of parenthesis to match corresponding parenthesis

Excel currently pairs parenthesis within a formula by color to make it easier to review long formulas. It would be helpful with nested functions if the commas within matched the function's parenthesis. Specifically with nested IFs

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Pin worksheet tabs

I would like to be able to pin worksheet tabs, almost like you can in chrome. If I have a workbook with 100 sheets, I do not want to have to hit the control button to scroll back to the first sheet. I would like to be able to pin the first sheet or couple so that when I scroll over to the right, those first worksheet tabs always remain visible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Comments Panel

I have used Excel Online for a few months now, and even though I think the Desktop version of the software is always going to be preferable, Excel Online Comments Panel would be a very useful tool on the desktop version of it. There are times that I send reports with thousands of comments on them and when you filter/sort columns they get messed up, comment panel section should fix this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Create seperate files when copying multiple tabs (New workbook)

I have multiple worksheets that need to get copied each to their own new workbook. It would be great if there was an option to 'create a copy' to a '(new book_' but a '(new book)' for each worksheet instead of having to do this separately.

Additionally, it work be great if their was an option to keep focus on the existing workbook and not lose focus to the new workbook when a work sheet is copied using 'create a copy'.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Smooth horizontal scrolling over hidden columns

When I have columns hidden my horizontal scroll stick for a moment when going over these. This is very annoying especially in big files.
    (This does not happen in vertical scrolling)

Perhaps related to:
    https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/9769824-have-excel-scroll-better-when-there-are-large-cell

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Subtabs/SubSheets

When you click on a tab/sheet in a workbook, another row below that appears and allows you to add a sub-tab/sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Show File Location For Autorecovery Files, Make File Comparison/Viewing Easy

If I happen to be working with two files of the same name and an error occurs in one, the Autorecovery notice is useless in telling me which one has the problem (which would help me decide whether to recover it or just delete it because it was a scratch file). There also ought to be a facility for comparing a file to be autorecovered with any previous version or another related file to easily find out what might have changed that's worth recovering, etc. Basically, Autorecovery is a good idea but it's very poorly implemented and backed up by…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Normal / Page Break Preview / Page Layout VIEWs

In the VIEW ribbon, the order are NORMAL / PAGE BREAK PREVIEW / PAGE LAYOUT. However, in the status bar in the bottom right, the order of icons is NORMAL / PAGE LAYOUT / PAGE BREAK PREVIEW.

It would be more intuitive to use if the order was the same in both places.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. allow multiple freezing frames

allow multiple freezing frames

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Give us some features to enable older folks to see better which cell, row or column they are working in - an option for background colors

Give us some features to enable older folks to see better which cell, row or column they are working in - an option for background colors would be nice.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Ability to Make Folders for Moving and Grouping Tabs, in Order to Save Space in Bottom Taskbar.

On the bottom of Excel, where the multiple tabs are located for viewing and for opening, have the ability to create folders that can hold multiple excel tabs.

I sometimes run into the issue of having too many tabs present and i have to look for them. Having similar ones in a folder would keep them grouped and organized, while also clearing up a lot of space.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Option for separate Find and Replace for each Window

When I have multiple documents open I don't like that they all share one Find and Replace Window that searches whichever document I clicked on last.
    My Idea is to have the option in settings to have the Find window associated with the window that opened it, which would therefore allow multiple find boxes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Tab selector

Please add a small button on the bottom left that will list all the worksheets and allow easy selection. Constantly clicking to get to the last sheet on the workbook or to a specific sheet is time consuming when your workbook contains more than 10 sheets.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Show Change History

I work at a business that stores millions of parts in inventory lists. Because of a error of my own I made a separate list and made changes throughout the year. I am trying to find the mistakes I made it I feel like this add on would be helpful

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Sideways scrolling bar back where it belongs -> Down!

The sideways scrolling bar should be put back into same bar where the zooming is, as it is mostly empty, but now it is annoyingly hiding excel tabs for no reason.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base