Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Have a way to set default open behavior to Open Excel in a New Instance

Currently Excel opens each workbook in a new window, but it is not a new Instance of Excel. The only way I've found to truly open in a new instance is to right click on Excel in the Taskbar then and then while holding down the "Alt" key left click on "Excel 2016". That would be fine except if I open something from the web it goes into a random instance that I have open. It is difficult to tell which files are open in which instances since they all "look" like they are in different instances.

Some of my…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. View Data Links Between Worksheets to know if any other worksheets are linked to it

I would like to be able to view the connections between worksheets in a single excel file (which worksheets have formulas referencing a particular worksheet). I realize I can search for a worksheet name in the other worksheets, but I would like a simple view to say sheet 1 is connected to sheets 4, 5 and 6 and sheet 2 has no connections.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. I have sight problems. How can you make the navigation bars and error messages show up in larger or bolder type.

The box to the right of this space titled excel for Windows(Desktop Applications) is close to unreadable in that light blue upper and lowercase type. All of the sysem boxes need a way to be made more readable of the sight impaired. All of the navigation boxes at the top of a spreadsheet need a way to control their sized to. My eyes are getting worse and I want to still work with excell but its almost betting to the point that I cannot work. In this box the type is bold enought to work with but the box below…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. QAT Spacing

The QAT spacing on the 2016 version is impossible to work with and forcing me to look at creating a new tab. I liked the spacing on 2013 which allowed me to view all my written macros and buttons. The new spacing pushed 5 of my buttons to a drop down. Please correct this spacing issue. The spacing does not need to be this large when you don't have a touch screen. I am one of 35 employees in my company that this effects. We have a customized QAT that all employees use.

85 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

37 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. In Excel 2016 'Help' window add 'increase/decrease' font size for ease of reading.

Currently after accessing the Excel 2016 'Help' window there is a choice to 'size' the window or 'close' it. Adding 'font size' +- for ease of reading would be useful.
    The worksheet is zoomed but that doesn't effect the 'Help' window' which it shouldn't.
    Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Create a scratchpad for taking notes while working in Excel to store "ToDo's", copied data, temporary data, etc.

I'd really appreciate if there will be a window pane (similar to "Selection Pane" for objects) within Excel where I can copy/paste/fill temporary data that could serve as a reminder or reference to whatever I'm working on or for whatever purpose it may serve. Currently, my workaround to this is to open Notepad and Excel side-by-side, adjust the size of Notepad and Excel to fit window height, adjust Notepad width enough to fill some data but small enough to still view lots of data in Excel. The problem with this approach is whenever I would like to view more data…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Scrolling while writing or editing a formula

It used to be possible to scroll around the screen using the mouse wheel while writing formulas - to find the cell reference to include in the formula. Now only the scroll bar can be used. This is particularly painful in large sheets as the scroll bars are not sensitive enough to find the right cell easily.
    Thanks for considering

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please allow for expansion of all text boxes (e.g. when tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d))

When tracing dependents to another sheet (alt+m+d), Excel does not allow you to expand the text box so that you can see the whole reference to the cell, making life difficult when tracing dependents.

And I am sure there are lots of other cases when the same applies, so please can you make this simple update to Excel to expand any text box.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Option for less "white space"

ALL newer Office apps: Give us an OPTION for SIGNIFICANT reduction of white space. I typically fill all the jump lists and pinned documents with various documents that I routinely have to access. '16 Office apps don't show NEARLY enough - even when I pin what I can and put others in the jump lists. I have to scroll, and it still doesn't always show them all.
    NO white space needed for some of us-please use smaller font and crowd stuff in. Allow the alternatives for those who don't like crowding.
    THANKS!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Worksheet groupings

Workbooks with many worksheets can be difficult to navigate. One poster has suggested having multiple levels to the worksheet tabs.

As an extension to this, we could have worksheet groupings where several worksheets could be contained within a grouping. You could then select a particular grouping (which would look like worksheet tabs and be placed below the actual worksheet tabs) and then have access to all the worksheets in that particular grouping. There would also be an 'All' grouping that contained all the worksheets.

These grouping could be included in the workbook protection so that you could choose which worksheet…

101 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Optimize visual space for the Formula Bar

If the Formula Bar is expanded to >1 line, then the "✗ ✓ fx" box should be moved below the Name Box. This gives more horizontal space for the Formula Bar.

We should also have an option to remove these 2 boxes. Their functionality can be gotten from the Formulas tab. For me, sacrificing this rarely-needed accessibility to these features is worth it to get a bigger Formula Bar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Dynamic Freeze Panes

Freeze panes are a really useful way of having some column headings always visible as you scroll around a sheet.

However, on a sheet with multiple tables or lists of data, the column headings may be different for each table, so can't be included in the freeze pane. As you scroll through the table you then lose sight of the column headings, making the table harder to use and understand.

It would be great to have dynamic freeze panes in addition to the overall sheet freeze pane. As you're scrolling down a particular table the header row of that table…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Freeze pane for bottom row(s) of a range

It would be good to be able to freeze one or more bottom lines (as well as the headers) of a range or table to be able to keep things like totals in view at all times.
    Similarly, freezing columns on the right hand side of the sheet would be useful sometimes.

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Locking Tab

The ability to lock individual tabs so that unauthorized users can not open them to either view or change content.

Locked tabs could still be seen from in the "hide/unhide" drop down but unauthorized users would not be able to open the tab.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Don't Allow Modal Dialogs to Go Behind Excel Windows

The move in Excel 2013 to use an SDI instead of an MDI has caused some rather serious problems with modal dialogs. There are many ways this can bite you, but the easiest one to describe in this forum is this:

1. Open Excel 2013 or 2016

2. Make sure there are two different workbooks open and maximize both their windows.

3. Go to VBA and in the immediate window type MsgBox "X" and execute it.

4. The display switches back to the active spreadsheet and there's a "X" in a modal dialog on top of it, as expected.

5. Now in the Windows taskbar,…
    8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. A "tree" view like worksheet explorer for grouping worksheet and navigating worksheets. Similar to windows explorer for files/folders n

A "tree" view of worksheets explorer. For grouping of worksheet and navigation of worksheets. Similar to Windows explorer for files/folders management and navigation. The "tree" worksheet explorer shall appear vertically at the side of the excel software window. This will also speed up the navigation when compare to navigating the worksheets by scrolling the worksheets horizontally

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ctrl+Tab to switch between worksheets (2)

Re the earlier idea being declined.

Ctrl+ page up/down only cycles sequentially thru sheets.

What was asked for was the ability to toggle between the two last opened sheets, regardless of where they are situated relative to each other.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Do not make Synchronous Scrolling the default when viewing side by side

I often have multiple files open, and need to view & use two of them simultaneously. Using "View Side by Side" is more convenient than "Arrange All", because it allows me to select exactly which two files I need to see at the same time. However "View Side by Side" defaults to "Synchronous Scrolling", which I need to immediately turn off since the two files I'm using are never the same. (If they were the same I'd create a "New Window", and "Arrange All, Windows of Active Workbook".) Since "Synchronous Scrolling" is the default, the view of the two files…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. freeze heading row

Typical scenario:
    - Freeze the heading row of data
    - When you scroll down, the only way to see you have moved down is to look at the row indicators. When copying and pasting or updating formulas in a many col spreadsheet, this sometimes leads to silly errors.
    - Can the separator below the freezed row (i.e. headings) change to a different colour when you have scrolled down, e.g. blue, or the row ids change color (as they do for a filter).

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Remove the feature where clicking at the top or bottom of a cell takes you to top or bottom of the spreadsheet

Remove the feature (or make it optional) where clicking at the top or bottom of a cell takes you to top or bottom of the spreadsheet. Inadvertent clicks make it infuriating.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base