Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Grouping Sheets

Group sheets helps to access the when there are more number of sheets

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Bug: Excel previewer does not load preview for file with .XLSX extension

If I select on a file with .Xlsx, .XLSX (extension not all in lower case) , then it wont show the preview on Windows Explorer Preview Pane.

Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit Excel 2016-32 bits

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 115 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add the function to unhide sheets.

1. You Right click on the sheet selection panel

2. There would be two buttons: Unhide all, Unhide selected.
      When pressed the second button (Unhide selected), You will be able to see the sheets that you hidded and others (not hidden) will not be displayed.
      When pressed the first button, all hidden sheets will be unhidden.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. COLOR PALETTE FOR DEVELOPER ITEMS

HI, CAN YOU PLEASE ACTUAL COLOR PALLETS INSTEAD OF CODES TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF ITEMS LIKE PUSH BUTTONS.I HAVE ATTACHED A VOICE ASSISTED DATA ANALYSIS PROGRAM I DEVELOPED.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. COLOR PALETTE FOR DEVELOPER ITEMS

HI, CAN YOU PLEASE ACTUAL COLOR PALLETS INSTEAD OF CODES TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF ITEMS LIKE PUSH BUTTONS.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bring back multiple windows in one session

Bring back multiple windows in one instance of Excel.
    For 15+ years I have been using a To-do list that relies on having three different windows on one screen. This makes it easy to navigate between worksheets on my laptop. When my office adopted Excel 2013 I could no longer use this file on my office desktop without losing the window sizes and shapes I had carefully devised. Moreover, my three windows now have three truncated ribbons, instead of a single ribbon for the three. As I rely heavily on a customized ribbon for Excel functionality, I lose easy access…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make freezing rows more intuitive

I have a spreadsheet where I want the top 6 rows to be frozen. I select all 6 rows and do View > Freeze Panes > Freeze Panes (based on current selection). For some reason this freezes the top 10 rows not just the top 6 rows. I search Excel help online and find out that what I need to do instead is place my cursor on row 7 and then "Freeze Panes" (advice found here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msowin10-mso_365hp/excel-2016-freeze-pane-bug/a56f9bdb-532b-4287-a3d8-67cb1055161b). This seems to work but it's very counterintuitive, not to mention contradictory to the menu item that says "freeze panes...…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Bring back the split button (scroll bars)

Dear MS Office team,

In the 2016 version of Excel, you have removed the 'Split' tool from the scroll bars.

I know that you can do it using View -> Split, but that is a very inefficient way of doing it. Previously, we would drag either the horizontal or vertical button from the scroll bar to create the split. One click. Now, we need to (1) click View, (2) click Split, (3) remove the split that we don't want, then (4) adjust the split that we do want.

Please reconsider bringing this small but very useful button back.

Thank you

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Freeze any/multiple middle rows not next to each other without having to freeze all rows above them.

Please create something that would allow users to freeze only a specific row or rows in the middle of a sheet without having to freeze all the other rows above it. There are many times that the first few rows of an excel sheet that I'm using contain titles, instructions or notes that do not need to stay put. I use these documents to send to staff to input data and they need information in the middle rows of the sheet to stay put without the bulk of everything above it. It would be user friendly to be able to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. View side by side in Excel 2016 is AWFUL!

What the heck happened in Excel 2016? I used to use the 'view side by side' function a lot in older versions of Excel, but in the new version it is virtually rendered unusable due to the duplicated ribbon/formula bar. What was wrong with the way it was done in older versions?? I can't see enough of either worksheet to be useful any more. Please fix this!!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. sheet tabs

Navigating an Excel document that has many sheets is cumbersome. Allow users to display more than one row of sheets or allow user to display and organize sheets in some helpful way. Scrolling left and right all the time gets old.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please add a "clip" text wrapping option

When the contents of a cell are too large for the cell, Excel's default is to let the cell overwrite adjacent empty cells. Excel can also shrink the text to fit or do word wrap, causing the row height to grow. None of those are as useful as the "clip" option in Google Sheets. Please add this!

The clip option means that, no matter how large the contents are, it will only show the portion of the contents that it can show in the space available to the cell, and it will not overwrite adjacent empty cells. This is absolutely…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. scrolling worksheet tabs

The worksheet tabs at the bottom could use a button to jump to the first and last worksheet (rather than 1 at a time scrolling back and forth). Necessary for large workbooks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. MS Excel - visual navigation support

Navigating in large Excel-files is sometimes confusing. I would consider it helpful if there was more visual support as to where one currently is in the Excel Sheet (e.g. as in the examples attached).

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. allow multiple freezing frames

allow multiple freezing frames

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. sheet tabs

Navigating an Excel document that has many sheets is cumbersome. Allow users to display more than one row of sheets or allow user to display and organize sheets in some helpful way. Scrolling left and right all the time gets old.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Prevent window from changing positions after clicking "Enable Editing" on a Protected View worksheet

When a worksheet opens in Protected View, and I click "Enable Editing," the worksheet window disappears for a split-second and then reappears in a different position on my screen. This is a disorienting visual experience, and I have to move the window back to the position where I want it to be. I don't see any reason why the window should change positions, and I consider this behavior to be a bug. Please fix this in a future update.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Normal / Page Break Preview / Page Layout VIEWs

In the VIEW ribbon, the order are NORMAL / PAGE BREAK PREVIEW / PAGE LAYOUT. However, in the status bar in the bottom right, the order of icons is NORMAL / PAGE LAYOUT / PAGE BREAK PREVIEW.

It would be more intuitive to use if the order was the same in both places.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. reading view

Add a read view, when select a cell, Excel auto highlights the row and the column. It will be very helpful when reading and comparing the data. I know there is a similar office application called WPS office. It has this function.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base