Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Workbook Cross Reference Function

I like Excel's Trace Dependants and Trace Precedents feature. Please improve upon this ability with a CrossReference(Range) function that produces a cross reference showing every cell in the Range and where that cell is referenced by a formula.

I know we can do this with the Find feature, but it would be easier to get a cross reference for every cell in the sheet, rather than having to search for this on a cell by cell basis.

Cell ID Location 1 Location 2 Location n
    A1 B1 B2 …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a function that brings precedents within a formula into view when the precedent cell is selected within the formula.

Macabacus offers this, but for some reason, the download is not working with Excel 2019. PLEASE create this functionality or just buy Macabacus. So much time is saved. All I needed to do with Macabacus is click on a long formula, and press the up and down keys to select a reference cell, and then like magic, I'm brough to that reference cell on a different tab, where I could do the same thing. It's very helpful for auditing. PLEASE ADD.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Shortcut to prompt dropdown of tab names to scroll though and select

Shortcut to prompt dropdown of tab names to scroll though and select. If you have multiple tabs, you can right click to on the left/right tab scrolling arrows (located on the bottom left of the spreadsheet, to the left of the first tab name), which then promps a dialog box that lists all the tab names that you can scroll through and select. I often over 30 tabs so I have to right click on the left and right arrows whenever I want to select a specific tabs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. List of tabs

Listing of tabs (vertical) to behave the same way as the horizontal tabs. Meaning we can hide, show, change color, see color, and rename tabs from the list view instead of horizontal view. With lots of tabs, the horizontal tab view is impractical and since very view people use the list view, it would be a good area to experiment added functionality.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Apply color on columns as well when filtering is enabled

When a filter is enabled, you cannot always see where the filter is switched on. It also gets very difficult when you work with a lot of filters and data.

Please make the column change colour (like the row when a filter is on) so it is easier to see which columns are filtered

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. On the View -- View side by side option

Make the Synchronous Scrolling an OPTION instead of a Default setting. I rarely use it in synchronous mode. Moreover, If I'm comparing a short file to a large file, it will take me to the end of both wasting extra time in trying to get back to where I was when I hit View side by side. It would also be nice if excel didn't try to determine where you are in a file to view. It should bring up both at the point you had them.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Worksheets undocking.

It would be nice if individual worksheets in an Excel file could be undocked for editing. That would be a cool feature.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Add Context Menu for the "Notes" Feature that Replaced the former "Comments"

Since you decided to call former Comments "Notes", starting in Dec 2018, the least you could do is provide the same easy access to creating and editing the new Notes. The former Comments could be Inserted into a Cell, or Edited within the cell by Right-Clicking (the Context Menu). Now, to insert a simple "Note", you have to navigate to the REVIEW TAB, click the dropdown arrow under Notes, then choose the desired action - very cumbersome if you put lots of notes in a document and have to edit these notes later. In the meantime, I have put the…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. ribbon size

Please allow users to opt for a smaller ribbon. Its actual size (especially after the October update) is fine only if you are working on a full HD monitor.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Can you bring back multiple files in 1 (one) window? This would greatly help keep the desktop clean and organized

Can you bring back multiple files in 1 (one) window? This would greatly help keep the desktop clean and organized

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add Reference R1C1 in the list of commands for the QAT

Sometimes it's interesting to display number as column header instead of the letter.
    The only way to do that now is to change the options Formula to R1C1
    I would like to toogle the reference of my workbook by adding an option in the Quick Access Toolbar. But this option doesn't exist yet.

So please vote for this idea is you want to toogle quickly the reference A1 to R1C1

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Cross positional orientation in Excel.

Please create a pointer position (the cross position in the entire row and column) for orientation in Excel. - see picture
    Position history with the ability to go back to the previous position in table. Inserting the sum from the status bar into the clipboard.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. sheet navigation

It would be nice to have a button on the sheets navigation area which will take me to the 1st sheet in the current workbook. Currently, i need to Right click and select from the list of pages displayed.

When I have many sheets and I create a TOC using hyperlinks in the 1st sheet, it will be very easy for me to go back to the TOC sheet by clicking this button.

Thanks

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. iNSERTING WORD AND PDF DOCUMENTS INTO EXCEL

On the next update, can you find an improved way to import Word and PDF files as a tab in Excel? I am importing them as "Import - Object" in the Text group. When you do this, they come out as this blurry image that isn't that readable. Maybe I don't know the best way to import these kind of documents into Excel, but: given that Word is one of your products I would think there would be a better way to view this file in Excel. That is the great aspect of using all products from one company.

Thanks…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. freeze panel

Freeze panel location on cells at each horizontal side edges of large data set, scrolling in between. Picture attached

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Scroll Worksheet like a web page, not by row height.

If I scroll 1/4", I want the worksheet page to scroll 1/4", not 2" due to in-view row height. Currently, if I stop scrolling with the top/bottom portion of a row that is off-screen, Excel jumps to either row top or bottom. This makes it impossible to scroll a large cell's contents. I want Excel to visually preserve my scroll position.

Stop making Excel jump to the next/previous logical cell top/bottom postion on screen.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Show Tab Color of Hidden Tabs

It would be helpful to see the color of the hidden tabs when trying to unhide tabs. For example, if I wanted to unhide all tabs colored RED, I would have to unhide everything and then hide the Non-RED tabs again.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Sheets could have tags that we can use to provide a more explicit name and which would appear as a tooltip

Sheets could have tags that we can use to provide a more explicit name and which would appear as a tooltip

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Sheet Tabs Navigation and Organization

1- Have the option to have the sheets tabs on top of excel interface

2- be able to scroll smoothly while the mouse cursor is over the sheet tabs

3- be able to create sheet groups; Similar to groups in OneNote, however, the groups should be treated like a sheet tab. Meaning they should not be on the far right like how it is in OneNote.

4- not for me, rather for some users, being able to have multiple line of sheet tabs

overall just better navigation that suits this era.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base