Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Scrolling through Worksheet Tabs

In a workbook with many tabs, it would be nice if you could use the scrolling functionality on your mouse to scroll through worksheet tabs quickly instead of clicking on the left/right buttons a bunch of times. This functionality is available in Tableau and I use it all the time in huge workbooks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Distinguish Focused Row and Column

When I view a row with multiple/many columns, I sometimes find it hard to see which cell in column "T" is of my row.

Suggest to find some sort of way to distinguished the row I'm on from the surrounding rows.
    Best option I can think of is giving it some coloring or enlarging the font.

Of course, the coloring/enlarging should take existing coloring/font-pitch.

Suggest this will be an option I can turn off/on for either the row or column, and it has to allow user to choose the color/font.

Regards,
    Ayal Telem.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Bring back the little "x" to close the worksheet

Please bring back the little "x" to close the worksheet / document only and not the application

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. More options for Custom Ribbons

When adding a custom ribbon, the best we can do is add groups.

We need a way to edit a custom ribbon's layout better (icon sizing / positioning / stacking / grouping)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Display/List the name of the currently active Custom View

Custom Views are a helpful means of working with a limited portion of the spreadsheets data.
    Custom Views could use some improvements:
    1. Provide a way for the user to know which Custom View is currently active.
    a. The name of the Custom View could be displayed in the Status Bar as: Custom View “CustomViewName”.
    b. When necessary or advantageous to save display space, an abbreviation such as the letters “CV” could be displayed. The full-text listing could then be displayed when the (mouse) cursor was hovering over this abbreviated display.
    2. Provide a quick access to changing the current…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. When opening new window (ALT W N) stop zoom default to 100%

When opening new window (ALT W N) stop zoom default to 100%

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Multiple sheet in same window at once

When working in a single file with multiple sheets quite often is required to view / work multiple of them at same time.

But actually there isn't option to arrange all the sheets in the same window.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Comments Panel

I have used Excel Online for a few months now, and even though I think the Desktop version of the software is always going to be preferable, Excel Online Comments Panel would be a very useful tool on the desktop version of it. There are times that I send reports with thousands of comments on them and when you filter/sort columns they get messed up, comment panel section should fix this problem.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. switch between worksheets, supported by an overview similar to "Alt+Tab"

Story

"The user can switch between worksheets, supported by an overview similar to switching between programs."

Windows (as-is)
    With the keyboard shortcut "Alt+Tab" in Windows, the user sees an overview of the open programs (picture 1 in attached pdf).

Excel (to-be)
    With a keyboard shortcut in Excel, the user sees an overview of the worksheets (picture 2 in attached pdf)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to shrink the size of the ribbon font size to make it smaller on the screen without changing screen resolution

Please allow users to change/shrink the size of the ribbon (make the font smaller and the 'real estate' it consumes on the monitor) to make it smaller on the screen without having to change screen resolution. It would be so much better if the ribbon could take up less room, yet still see all the commands. At the moment it takes up far to much of the monitor.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. In the bottom-right status area, with count, average, and sum, please add unique count.

I love the quick count, average, and sum at the bottom of the screen. Another one that would be useful is a count of unique values in the range.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Bring back Full Screen View

Previous versions of Excel (e.g. 2010) offered an option to view the worksheet in Full Screen (which was great for presentations).

This option seems to have disappeared from the later versions of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Form mode

Please have a Form Mode (or Data Entry Mode) where we can design a sheet for data entry, which allows very basic entering and functionality in the sheet. Rather than keeping all the formulas vulnerable to the user.

A revision to the sheet protection permissions would be a very good alternative.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Give us the option of opening two or more workbooks in the one instance of Excel.

Just got Excel 2016, and have found you have removed the ability to open multiple workbooks in one instance of Excel. I know we all asked for separate instances as default, as this is what all sane people will do 90% of the time, but that other 10% of the time it is useful to have the workbooks together, especially if you need to paste formulas/formatting between them. There is no reason why this can't be an option, as the functionality has been there for years (decades?).
    Also..
    Please fix it so Ctrl-H brings up "Replace", not "Find" like it…

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. focus color

The "active" cell with the "focus" is dull green on gray. Its hard to pick out.

Even harder if you use the search function. Good luck seeing where on the screen that cell is.

Please allow us to change the outline of the selected cells or the cells that have the focus. Telling us to download a windows color theme really doesn't help - many of us are blocked from doing so - and a theme that is good at one thing is usually a complete failure at something else. Sometimes I really miss XP and the way it could…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Double decker sheet names

When you have a lot of tabs in a worksheet it would be good if Excel displayed them as a double row.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. View multiple worksheets in a single Excel window

Excel 2016 when opened opens only one instance. The ability in Excel 2016 to open multiple spreadsheets in the same Excel 2016 window was discontinued since Excel 2013.
    I just moved from Excel 2010 and miss this feature. You cannot one click minimize all Excel windows as a group, each frame includes menu, toolbar, entry bar... so much less data display room (difficult to quickly toggle these at once to maximize data display room. Difficult to arrange to compare multiple Excel windows with a pptx or docx as Excel arrange all uses the entire screen to layout the worksheets rather…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Freeze Sheets

We all love freezing cells, but what I haven't stumbled on is the ability (without using VBA) to freeze sheets. So often I'm in a model with many worksheets and there are some you want to stay frozen (stay visible) while you scroll through the other sheets.
    Please consider adding this functionality.

Regards,
    Logan

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Re-introduce navigation keys in bottom left corner (as in former versions) to easily navigate to first or last sheet in workbook

Re-introduce navigation keys in bottom left corner (as in former versions) to easily navigate to first or last sheet in workbook

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Freeze worksheet TAB from scrolling

IN a large data file, there is a main TAB with the summary. This main tab should have an ability to stay visible at all times.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base