Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Single Excel window with all workbooks opened in it: please bring it back the quickest!!!

Single Excel window with all workbooks opened in it: please bring it back the quickest!!!

When working with large data in many workbooks and sheets, you get lost so easily into the so many opened excel windows!!! I have downgraded from Office 2013 to 2007 because of this missing feature! Please...

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Have Excel scroll better when there are large cells.

If there's a really tall or wide cell, Excel jumps to the edge of the cell when scrolling past that area. This is a big pain when, for example:
    - trying to position a shape
    - Trying to grab the edge of the row or column in order to resize it.

Excel should just scroll normally without jumping.

2,596 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

688 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks everyone for all of the passion about this suggestion! The number of votes has increased greatly in the last couple months and we’re taking notice! We’ve got a bunch of other Excel endpoints behaving this way already and we’re evaluating getting it done in the Windows versions sooner based on the number of votes it gets – so keep the votes coming!

Eric Patterson (Program Manager – MSFT)

3. Tab tree

It would be extremely helpful if the first "tab" of a workbook was a tree (similar to Windows Explorer) that listed all the tabs in the workbook and also allowed grouping of tabs. The tree could link to all the tabs and if a group of tabs were grouped, then it would expand that group and show the tabl in the group you selected.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please stop destroying short cut keys

This latest update makes reopening a recent file a big pain. I'm a power user who uses short cut keys almost exclusively. After a major bout of tendonitis/mouse-itis, I learned most of the short cut keys (in the 1990's). I'm glad that most of them still work. They are efficient and save so much time and effort. However, every update seems to mess them up. I have 2 files pinned that are huge so I often have to open and close them. I used to just hit Alt F, R, 1 (or 2). One update a while back messed up…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Sum total display at the bottom

In a prior version - when working on two spreadsheets on two monitors, the sum display in the bottom bar (right side) REMAINED when switching to the other screen. Now it disappears as soon as you switch to the other spreadsheet/monitor. WHY take AWAY such a handy function. Now, I have to create a SUM box for each spreadsheet. Don't make it harder - PLEASE make it easier!

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Reduce height of Excel Formula Bar, Heading and Gridlines

There is a ridiculous waste of height. Reduce the 3.5 mm-high bars between the rows to about 0.5 mm-height and removing 6 bars increases the work area height by almost 2 cms. Reducing the 'cell'-height for the Formula Bar, Heading and Gridlines themselves will also advantageously gain work area height. i.e. revert to 'height-layout' used in previous versions, such as Excel 2010.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. I want to have the row I have selected stay "highlighted" while I work in a different workbook

I would like to be able to select a row in Workbook A and have it darken the row without changing the colors (light blue becomes slightly darker blue and so forth), while I am working in Workbook B (usually on another screen). I have to visually compare the data in very large pages and loose my place in A when I click on B to make a change.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Multiple Level Worksheet Option

I have workbooks that have 70+ worksheets used for quoting (product, customer, pricing, etc.). It is becoming increasingly difficult to manage this many worksheets. I would love to be able to characterize each worksheet (e.g. under the Product worksheet, there would be sub-worksheets for Product1, Product2, Product3, etc.). Then I could perform functions (hide, un-hide, protect, print, etc.) at either a worksheet level or the sub-worksheet level.

Related to this, I would love to be able to create a worksheet that would allow the user to specify what worksheets or sub-worksheets are applicable to this quote and all others are…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide the zoom in and zoom out view in the print preview mode

Provide the zoom in and zoom out view in the print preview mode

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Lock rows and columns

I have data that I would like to keep visible at all times (like grand totals) and with modern screens, it's easier to have it on the left side rather than the top. So what I'd like to see is the ability to truly freeze certain rows and columns, preventing them from scrolling in either direction.

For example, lock columns A-D and rows 1 and 2. Only cells to the right and below E2 would be able to scroll.

When I click on a column or row, the context menu would have an option to say lock this column/row

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. need option for 2 QAT bars

Many power users rely on the QAT. I would greatly prefer the option of showing 2 bars rather than clicking on the far right overflow arrow to show the next set of QAT icons.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Excel to open in a single window

I'm required to have half a dozen different excel files open through out the day and this new feature where they have there own window clutters the out that screen. Why the was an actual useful feature removed when you have a fuckton of useless options in your advanced section

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Highlight alternative rows to be more accurate in filling the fields

Highlight alternative rows to be more accurate in filling the fields. See attached file.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. More facilities for Tab sheets

I use a lot of sheets in my workbooks and I am at a loss in finding what I want quickly. I believe the following organizational facilities would be useful:
    1) Sort the sheets alphabetically
    2) Group many sheets under a SuperTab that could expand or collapse at user will. This would avoid clatter and "group" similar sheets. For example I could have a SuperTab Named 24 Charts, under which would be 3 SuperTabs: 8 ScatterCharts, 6 BarCharts, 10 LineCharts and under all of these the appropriate individual charts,
    3) Facilities in the lettering of the tabs, Bold, Italics, Underline …

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Display Status Bar of Inactive Window 2016 Excel

In Excel 2010 we were able to highlight numbers and have their sums displayed in the grey status bar towards the bottom of the sheet. Working with 2 monitors, this feature was very helpful.

After upgrading to Excel 2016 the status bar of the non active/selected workbook disappears instead of the sum being viewable of the non active workbook.

The feature was helpful for at least 2 open excel instances where we can view the sum of the non active workbook and it would be great to have back instead of being forced to click in out of each workbook…

76 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

33 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. side by side - the old way

Can you please bring back the old way of side by side? It used to be that they shared a formula bar and ribbon, and that allowed for more of the spreadsheets to be seen. Now, each spreadsheet has an independent formula bar and ribbon and that takes up usable space. Plus, creature of habit here, I constantly go to the top to make an edit when it's for the bottom sheet, and it makes it on the top. I posted about this (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msofficeexcel-msoother/side-by-side-with-just-one-ribbon/c699f0c5-c702-480d-b63a-c1d1d5d044d3) and it was suggested that I submit it here. I might be…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Freezing Rows individually

Say I want to freeze row one and row 20. Row 1 should stay frozen when we scroll from row 2 to row 19. Row 20 should over lap row 1 and stay frozen when scrolling below row 20.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Under "Tell me what you want to do"

Under the "Tell me what you want to do" it would be helpfull if you had the ribbon location of requested task.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. MSFT needs to allow multiple windows in Excel 2016. I'm not sure of what seems to have been a 'popular' request to have each window created

Lost productivity in Excel 2016. Cannot open more than 1 file per session, ruins multi monitor functionality and active window switching. If I 5 Excel files open, I shouldn't have to cycle through all 5 just to get to another open program! Major disappointment. I use two 27" monitors and often have 75% of screen space open to Excel and everything else runs in the other 25%. Now I have to manage each Excel file separately for window size, location, and task sequence. Very frustrating and very unhelpful. Provide an option to control opening all files under single session!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Drop Down Navigation Menu for Sheets

Hi,

I am finding that Excel is actually a great way to organise my ideas / Notes. I can quickly zoom in & Out on each sheet quickly seeing how my ideas are mapped together.

BUT...
    To navigate between sheets is a major pain.
    It is also very hard to quickly summarise all the sheets like an index or contents in a book.

I would strongly recommend a drop down OR drop up Navigation list of sheets like most websites use to navigate.Further, it should be organised into categories so the current tabs at the bottom (when Clicked ) provide…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base