Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Worksheet Sorter" for Excel

A useful tool in PowerPoint is the "Slide Sorter" which allows you to quickly view, navigate and rearrange many slides. I think adding a "Worksheet Sorter" in Excel's "View" tab would be just as useful, and would make navigating 20+ worksheets much, much easier. If you agree with me please vote!

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. User usage tracking

Would be great to have a way to monitor the usage of an Excel File. working in Finance, many of the reports we produce can be used or not used. having a mechanism for a file author to get usage statistics would be super helpful. for example each time the report is being opened it pings the server and let the author know through a report sent weekly or daily (customizable).

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Show cells in relation to other data in a better way

Hi

See screenshot. I'm in a cell with the value 26 112. I want to know if this is casual wages or PAYE and it's not obvious, I have to strain my eye a bit and make sure I follow the cells correctly. Same thing if I want to see other numbers in the same column as the 26 112. If I want to see a number that's15 rows up on the same column, if there's a lot of data, it's really difficult to follow.

So, it would be great if you had a view that highlights all info in…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Resize GoTo Dialog Box

For the love of G-d, please, after all these years, make all dialog boxes, especially the GoTo dialog box!

For example, it is IMPOSSIBLE to decipher contents in the GoTo dialog box when using longer Excel file and sheet names.

Most programming languages provide simple ways to define resizable dialog boxes (e.g. Resizable: True, Max Height, Max Width, etc.)
    If Microsoft would take 1 extra minute to fix this in Excel, I believe it would save users like me hundreds of minutes per year. That would free me up to use even more Microsoft products!

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Have a double freeze feature.

I need a double / multiple freeze feature. Imagine columns A to F - I have a sheet where I would like to freeze columns A & F so that I could horizontally scroll columns B, C , D and E - e.g. scroll through a defined mid-section.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Let me open two copies of a workbook with the same name. PLEASE

Working on various different clients we often have standardised workbooks names. It would be very useful to be able to compare these quickly without having to save one of them locally under a different names.

Cheers microsoft

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please make it easier for the eye to spot the active cell. The thin green lines are too hard to spot.

Give us the possibility to change the background color, of the active cell, to any color suites the user.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please Allow Keyboard Shortcut Customizations In Excel.

Surprisingly Customizations In Keyboard Shortcuts Are Allowed For Excel In Mac And Not Windows Even When Both Excel And Windows Are Microsoft Trademark.
    Please Add Feature To Allow Keyboard Customizations To Excel As In Work For Aiding Ease Of Access To Various Commands As Per User Preferences.
    Thanks.

355 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

42 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Insert comment for worksheet tab

Ability to insert a comment in a cell is useful. I think that applying the same concept to worksheet tabs would be very handy. Often when there are numerous worksheets it is desirable to clarify what the contents are or pass on some additional information. At the moment this generally means writing a note in a cell on the sheet which can impact the tabular strucutre of the worksheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Opening the main Excel window in a default size and position specified by the user

We like to open the main Excel window in the same position on our desktop each time. The only way we can do this is to assure that the last closed window was in the desired location when closed. This is because new windows open in the same size and position as the last closed window.

The problem arises when you open multiple worksheets, which automatically arrange themselves or are moved by the user to other temporary locations. Closing any of these windows last sets a new undesired default for the next session of Excel.

Another problem is that t…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Option to highlight the row or cell where your cursor is located.

Currently there is only a line around the row number or the cell.

E.g., you are on row 12 or on row 12, column L, the entire row or a cell will highlight in a pale color different than the worksheet. This would work well for those who have 10 or more columns going across. The end-user could choose a color and it could be a toggle for those who do not opt to have the row/cell highlighted.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Expand Dark Mode

Provide an option in dark mode in which the cell color defaults to black ( ie "no fill" results in a black background) and the text color defaults to white or light gray

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Excel Active versus Inactive worksheet

When working in excel in different worksheets the active worksheet should have a different color for the active bar. Bold is a help but not as easily recognized as a active tile bar color would be.

Please have a different color for the active worksheet bar than the inactive worksheet title bar.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. GET YOUR DOPEY_FUCKING_TEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOU_FUCKED_UP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKING_BAD_ALREADY.

GET YOUR DOPEYFUCKINGTEMPATE, GOOD MONRING/AFTERNOON BANNER OUT OF MY FACE. YOUFUCKEDUP THE FILE OPTIONS SO FUCKINGBADALREADY. DOES YOUR SHITWARE ADD-IN REALLY DO ANYTHING USEFUL OTHER THAN OBSCURE OR HIDE THE ACTUAL ACTIONS I AM LOOKING FOR? ******** MICROSOFT,SUCK MY FUCKINGDICK.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. see all sheet names

Why there is no option for seeing all sheets in a lump? I think, there should be an option in the triple dots (as in the photo) for seeing the other sheets' names. When I click that triple dot, I need to see the names of hidden/unseen sheets' names.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. An active sheet bar.

I work with 10s of sheets in my workbook and switching between them is difficult and it breaks the flow of your work.

When I scroll on the sheet bar. Instead of the current sheet the sheet bar should move (left/right) so switching between a lot of sheets becomes easy.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable SmoothScroll for sideways scrolling - No need to snap to column width

When a spreadsheet has a wide column, scrolling sideways snaps to columns and make huge jumps sideways. That should be disabled so we can scroll smoothly even when columns are wide.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Show multiple sheets att once like browser tabs

It would be nice if we could see the contents of multiple sheets at once. I would like to edit one sheet and simultaneously watch the contents of the other sheet.
    Ideally, you could split, move & merge tabs back like browser tabs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 21 22
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base