Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.

Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.
    In English:
    Option to show list of sheets sorted by name. Today it's only sorted by index.
    When we right click on the navigation arrows (bottom left corner of Excel), Excel shows us a list of the worksheets sorted by index/position in the workbook.

Suggestion: add a checkbox or a combobox to that dialog box, with a couple more options, like the attached image:
    Index Asc
    Index Desc
    A to Z
    Z to A

This is not to move the sheets around, this is to…

54 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Normal / Page Break Preview / Page Layout VIEWs

In the VIEW ribbon, the order are NORMAL / PAGE BREAK PREVIEW / PAGE LAYOUT. However, in the status bar in the bottom right, the order of icons is NORMAL / PAGE LAYOUT / PAGE BREAK PREVIEW.

It would be more intuitive to use if the order was the same in both places.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make freezing rows more intuitive

I have a spreadsheet where I want the top 6 rows to be frozen. I select all 6 rows and do View > Freeze Panes > Freeze Panes (based on current selection). For some reason this freezes the top 10 rows not just the top 6 rows. I search Excel help online and find out that what I need to do instead is place my cursor on row 7 and then "Freeze Panes" (advice found here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10-mso_365hp/excel-2016-freeze-pane-bug/a56f9bdb-532b-4287-a3d8-67cb1055161b). This seems to work but it's very counterintuitive, not to mention contradictory to the menu item that says "freeze panes... based on…

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Add the function to unhide sheets.

1. You Right click on the sheet selection panel
          2. There would be two buttons: Unhide all, Unhide selected.
          When pressed the second button (Unhide selected), You will be able to see the sheets that you hidded and others (not hidden) will not be displayed.
          When pressed the first button, all hidden sheets will be unhidden.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • MS Excel - visual navigation support

Navigating in large Excel-files is sometimes confusing. I would consider it helpful if there was more visual support as to where one currently is in the Excel Sheet (e.g. as in the examples attached).

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Give us the option of opening two or more workbooks in the one instance of Excel.

Just got Excel 2016, and have found you have removed the ability to open multiple workbooks in one instance of Excel. I know we all asked for separate instances as default, as this is what all sane people will do 90% of the time, but that other 10% of the time it is useful to have the workbooks together, especially if you need to paste formulas/formatting between them. There is no reason why this can't be an option, as the functionality has been there for years (decades?).
              Also..
              Please fix it so Ctrl-H brings up "Replace", not "Find" like it…

6 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • View side by side in Excel 2016 is AWFUL!

What the heck happened in Excel 2016? I used to use the 'view side by side' function a lot in older versions of Excel, but in the new version it is virtually rendered unusable due to the duplicated ribbon/formula bar. What was wrong with the way it was done in older versions?? I can't see enough of either worksheet to be useful any more. Please fix this!!

4 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Show File Location For Autorecovery Files, Make File Comparison/Viewing Easy

If I happen to be working with two files of the same name and an error occurs in one, the Autorecovery notice is useless in telling me which one has the problem (which would help me decide whether to recover it or just delete it because it was a scratch file). There also ought to be a facility for comparing a file to be autorecovered with any previous version or another related file to easily find out what might have changed that's worth recovering, etc. Basically, Autorecovery is a good idea but it's very poorly implemented and backed up by…

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Auto creation of contents page using Hyperlinks to all the sheets on a file and a hyperlink back to contents page.

Create a contents page automatically via the hyperlinks functionality. This will create a contents page hyperlinking to a specified cell in all the sheets on the file and back to contents page from each sheet.
                    This will save a huge amount of time for excel users when creating a suite of reports that are layers in many sheets on one file.
                    This will save a huge amount of time for many users and a neat functionality to have, rather than using VBA (macro's) to do this.

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Re-introduce navigation keys in bottom left corner (as in former versions) to easily navigate to first or last sheet in workbook

Re-introduce navigation keys in bottom left corner (as in former versions) to easily navigate to first or last sheet in workbook

10 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Bring back multiple windows in one session

Bring back multiple windows in one instance of Excel.
                        For 15+ years I have been using a To-do list that relies on having three different windows on one screen. This makes it easy to navigate between worksheets on my laptop. When my office adopted Excel 2013 I could no longer use this file on my office desktop without losing the window sizes and shapes I had carefully devised. Moreover, my three windows now have three truncated ribbons, instead of a single ribbon for the three. As I rely heavily on a customized ribbon for Excel functionality, I lose easy access…

5 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Share workbook

i think you can return share workbook to review. because your new function want to share workbook is too trouble for me. why don't make a simple share workbook dock to review?

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

You’ve provided feedback on the Excel Shared Workbook experience and we would like to know more about how you’ve used this feature and the value it provides. By taking this survey, you can help the Excel team better understand how to prioritize our Collaboration Experiences moving forward.

Your input is greatly appreciated.
                            Thanks

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=v4j5cvGGr0GRqy180BHbR3M53G0xM8tHle2rOax4MqNUQ0lOWlM2OFRTTkJNRTVGQU1ZV0hDMTZYSy4u

• Redo the interface

CAN WE JUST HAVE THE OLD INTERFACE BACK OR TIDY UP THE NEW ONE!!

Worst ever. Highly spaghetti and inefficient, make it logical and stop it dancing around all over the place.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Hyperlinks in Office 365 need to better link among all 365 programs, i.e. Excel<-> OneNote, etc.

OneNote allows easy linking and navigation among and within Notes. Excel allows hyperlinks using a different protocol. But the Offfice 365 suite of programs should be able to share links transparently among all Office 365 components.

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

• Cell Location - Highlight row and column of present cell with choice of colour and transparency

From the RIBBON View Tab – Workbook Views area - there should be an
                                Option
                                LOCATE CELL this would open a window to allow a few options
                                1. TICK BOX – When chosen would highlight the row and column of the present cell.
                                2. COLOUR WINDOW - Colour and transparency could be chosen independently, for the ROW and for the COLUMN (DEFAULT- two shades of grey – the row being the heaviest shade).
                                3. RADIO BUTTONS - A further option would allow the x and y axes to highlight two views:
                                a. Quadrilateral (or Tetragon) VIEW – highlighting the ROW…

3 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• quick access toolbar mobile (able to drag entire toolbar to bottom or left/right of excel window)

Would like to be able to move the entire quick access toolbar in excel like you can move the taskbar on the desktop.

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Reinstate hotfix to allow excel 2010 to open in new windows

Up until a few weeks ago, there was a hotfix available on your website that would allow excel to open workbooks in new windows. The hotfix was located here - https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2013/02/07/open-excel-workbooks-in-separate-windows-and-view-them-side-by-side/

As this hotfix removes itself when the PC is rebooted, it needs to be reinstalled after each reboot. Can the hotfix please be reinstated somewhere on your website.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Maximum and Minimum of selected cells

Please add Maximum and Minimum values of selected cells at the bottom of windows next to Average, Count and Sum.

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Kill the Scroll Lock key

I believe that the much-loathed "functionality" (if one can call it that) of the Scroll Lock key dates back to the era of Lotus 1-2-3. If Scroll Lock is on, instead of the arrow keys moving your cursor, they change the rows or columns that are visible in the window.

If it is turned on, it is usually because someone has bumped the key by accident and now wonders why "Excel isn't working properly". I have NEVER met anyone who has used it intentionally, which is not to say that such people do not exist, but I have met a…

1 vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base