Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "Worksheet Sorter" for Excel

A useful tool in PowerPoint is the "Slide Sorter" which allows you to quickly view, navigate and rearrange many slides. I think adding a "Worksheet Sorter" in Excel's "View" tab would be just as useful, and would make navigating 20+ worksheets much, much easier. If you agree with me please vote!

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

8 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. User usage tracking

Would be great to have a way to monitor the usage of an Excel File. working in Finance, many of the reports we produce can be used or not used. having a mechanism for a file author to get usage statistics would be super helpful. for example each time the report is being opened it pings the server and let the author know through a report sent weekly or daily (customizable).

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Implement Quasi MDI Windows using Windows 10 Sets Feature

In Windows 10 there seems to be a feature, still under development called Windows Sets. https://www.howtogeek.com/352109/how-to-use-sets-in-windows-10-to-organize-apps-into-tabs/
    While MS pulled this feature from the latest public builds of Windows 10, it looks like it’s not dead, but sleeping, due to make a comeback once issues have been ironed out. https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3081852/windows-10-sets-coming-back-rumour

If this is the case then it would be the perfect way to bring make MDI like functionality to Excel for those users who miss it. Certainly from a Excel custom Application perspective MDI windows worked very well.

It would be great to have a setting in a future version of…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Shift Mouse Scroll (Horizontal Scroll)

Please allow us users to navigate through the excel sheet left and right with Shift + Mouse Scroll.
    Thank you.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. True Dark Mode

Actually make the dark mode for Excel change the working document's background colour black/dark without needing to format.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Show cells in relation to other data in a better way

Hi

See screenshot. I'm in a cell with the value 26 112. I want to know if this is casual wages or PAYE and it's not obvious, I have to strain my eye a bit and make sure I follow the cells correctly. Same thing if I want to see other numbers in the same column as the 26 112. If I want to see a number that's15 rows up on the same column, if there's a lot of data, it's really difficult to follow.

So, it would be great if you had a view that highlights all info in…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Let me open two copies of a workbook with the same name. PLEASE

Working on various different clients we often have standardised workbooks names. It would be very useful to be able to compare these quickly without having to save one of them locally under a different names.

Cheers microsoft

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make it easier to locate worksheets

Make the "Excel-activate box" adjustable in size and the font size + ''color-coding'' option for clarity of the project if possible.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. comparing sheets

I want the ability to compare the contents of two worksheets (either the same workbook or in different workbooks) to see it they are identical and, if not, where they differ from one another.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. continuous scrolling

Continuous horizontal scrolling. Currently, horizontal scrolling automatically snaps to the next column which is incredibly inconvenient when trying to change the column width by dragging as I am unable to click and drag the edge of the column.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Active cell border

Please put a red border around active cell so it may help people with eye problems see better.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Simultaneously freeze column and row

I've seen this request back in 2017, but would like to revive it.

I'd like to be able to freeze or split the screen so a column AND row area are frozen simultaneously.
    Say if you currently freeze rows and columns above and to the left of D4. If you start scrolling down, also the content of Columns A-C will move. If you scroll to the right, the content of rows 1-3 will move.
    I'd like for only everything to the right and below D4 to move.
    Probably somebody will tell me to use pivots, but I think this is…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Opening the main Excel window in a default size and position specified by the user

We like to open the main Excel window in the same position on our desktop each time. The only way we can do this is to assure that the last closed window was in the desired location when closed. This is because new windows open in the same size and position as the last closed window.

The problem arises when you open multiple worksheets, which automatically arrange themselves or are moved by the user to other temporary locations. Closing any of these windows last sets a new undesired default for the next session of Excel.

Another problem is that t…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. simplified ribbon

I do not need to use Excel to much, I want a simplified ribbon like outlook. is it possible?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. View two worksheets at once

I suggest an option to view two sheets from the same workbook at once. Maybe a moveable line from top-to-bottom where the sheet tabs appear in both side and you can choose different sheets for each side. This would simplify working on two sheets at once.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Protected and hidden content in an excel file is visible when opening in a smartphone.

Protected and hidden content in an excel file is visible when opening in a smartphone (iPhone 5s), ipad 2

Steps 1: Excel file was created with few columns hidden and worksheet was protected.

Step 2: File was sent through email

Step 3: File was open through the email, in a smart phone and also in ipad.

Output: The file showed the hidden content. Luckily, the file was verified before sending to public.

Hidden content doesn't fully work with all devices.

It works perfect where microsoft office is installed. If microsoft office ios not there in any device the system somehow…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Sort Comments

When reviewing and selecting 'Show comments', you should have the option to sort the comments in the window pane. I would like to sort comments by date and not be cell only.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Remove search bar from the title bar; put it back down with the content

The search bar has recently been moved to the title bar. It is in the way, makes it more difficult to manage multiple windows, and feels very out of place. Please put it back down near the content being searched; the title bar needs to remain relatively free of clutter so that one can quickly grab it and move the window, double-click maximize with it, see the document name, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Have a double freeze feature.

I need a double / multiple freeze feature. Imagine columns A to F - I have a sheet where I would like to freeze columns A & F so that I could horizontally scroll columns B, C , D and E - e.g. scroll through a defined mid-section.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 23 24
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base