Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Here’s an idea – RESPOND TO OUR COMMENTS! PROVIDE AN UPDATE!

It has been nearly a year since an admin provided an update on the idea, “Restore MDI file handling (open all files in one window); Kill SDI (each spreadsheet opens in a seperate window)”

Please provide an update. Are you still accepting votes and considering restoration of MDI? Or, should we start looking for alternative products and pirate software to return to a more effective Excel version?

Again, here are the issues:

1. Stability
    * I experience ~3X Excel crashes in 2016 (SDI) as compared to 2010 (MDI)
    * Microsoft claims Excel is more stable, but my experience is the…

149 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

26 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multiple sheet Unhide option..

Unhiding multiple sheets is a painful task, you have to go one by one. There should be an option to unhide multiple sheets at once.

Please bring in this feature.

Thanks.

88 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Single Page Zoom

When in Page Layout mode, have the option to zoom out on one page. Word has a "One Page" option in the zoom settings. Excel is default to "Multiple Pages" when zooming out and scrolling. Would be nice to see how the document will appear printed out.

See attached for what is available in Word.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Highlite Active row for easier navigation on sheet....

I work with lots of lines and its tireing to try and track which row im on,
    Please try and Highlight the active row.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. KEEP UNFOCUSED WORKBOOK ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED

OPTION TO KEEP ACTIVE CELLS HIGHLIGHTED WHEN UNFOCUSED AND IN ANOTHER APPLICATION

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Bring back multiple sheets in one excel instance. 2016 is brutal without it.

Bring back multiple sheets in one excel instance. 2016 is brutal without it.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Show Row Numbers On Right Side of Worksheet

With 4K monitors, worksheets displayed at 100% contain lots of data.
    Having row numbers displayed on the Left (supported), Right, and Both sides of the worksheet would be a nice usability improvement.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add "Go To Special -> Previous Cell" with cell history.

Navigating a workbook would be easier with a "Go To Previous Cell"

Add the ability to Go To Special for "Previous Cell" as far back to when the workbook was opened, or alternatively, to a user defined history setting in Excel's Advanced->Editing Options->Display Options for this workbook (e.g. Keep Cell History {all, or user entered numeric value})

Additionally, provide a dropdown list of the cell history that can be added to the quick access toolbar, for rapid selection of previously selected cells.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. We need to be able to freeze more than one column at a time!

Need to be able to freeze more than one column at a time, or Column and a line. EG: annual spreadsheet has months across top and left hand column has details input so when you are scrolling across the months your detail col should stay visible, otherwise you waste so much time chasing back & forward to see where you are working.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. would love to be able to view another tab of the worksheet on split screen

would love to be able to view another tab of the worksheet on split screen

dual monitors are great but would love to somehow view another tab of the worksheet while working on 1 tab see the other on my other screen

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Option to RE-FREEZE PANEs at Current Cell Location

I'd like to be able to RE-FREEZE PANES at the current cell location instead of having to UNFREEZE PANES and then having to FREEZE PANES again.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. enable editing

When opening a file that's been downloaded editing is disabled, right so. However when hitting the enable editing button the entire window resizes slightly and also changes position. Can this be fixed so that behavior doesn't happen?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. an option to repeat headings at bottom and right of screen would also be useful for large spreadsheets

an option to repeat headings at bottom and right of screen would also be useful for large spreadsheets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Unhide can be grayed out when there are no hidden columns / rows in selection

When there no columns are rows to unhide, the option can be grayed out?

Also, if possible, status bar can have an icon to indicate if there are hidden rows &/or columns.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add Workbook Cross Reference Function

I like Excel's Trace Dependants and Trace Precedents feature. Please improve upon this ability with a CrossReference(Range) function that produces a cross reference showing every cell in the Range and where that cell is referenced by a formula.

I know we can do this with the Find feature, but it would be easier to get a cross reference for every cell in the sheet, rather than having to search for this on a cell by cell basis.

Cell ID Location 1 Location 2 Location n
    A1 B1 B2 …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Create a function that brings precedents within a formula into view when the precedent cell is selected within the formula.

Macabacus offers this, but for some reason, the download is not working with Excel 2019. PLEASE create this functionality or just buy Macabacus. So much time is saved. All I needed to do with Macabacus is click on a long formula, and press the up and down keys to select a reference cell, and then like magic, I'm brough to that reference cell on a different tab, where I could do the same thing. It's very helpful for auditing. PLEASE ADD.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Shortcut to prompt dropdown of tab names to scroll though and select

Shortcut to prompt dropdown of tab names to scroll though and select. If you have multiple tabs, you can right click to on the left/right tab scrolling arrows (located on the bottom left of the spreadsheet, to the left of the first tab name), which then promps a dialog box that lists all the tab names that you can scroll through and select. I often over 30 tabs so I have to right click on the left and right arrows whenever I want to select a specific tabs.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Scroll by pixel, not by cell.

If you have large cells, scrolling becomes impossible. The page always snaps to the top of a cell. Even if my cells are small enough for me to read them fully, scrolling through them leaves me disoriented and I keep loosing track where I am on the sheet. I see no reason not to scroll by pixel instead of by cell.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. cascaded windows option

I would like to be able to change the spacing for cascading windows or be able to overlay all windows in the same position.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 24 25
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base