Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Please Allow Keyboard Shortcut Customizations In Excel.

Surprisingly Customizations In Keyboard Shortcuts Are Allowed For Excel In Mac And Not Windows Even When Both Excel And Windows Are Microsoft Trademark.
    Please Add Feature To Allow Keyboard Customizations To Excel As In Work For Aiding Ease Of Access To Various Commands As Per User Preferences.
    Thanks.

322 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

37 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Expand Dark Mode

Provide an option in dark mode in which the cell color defaults to black ( ie "no fill" results in a black background) and the text color defaults to white or light gray

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Please make it easier for the eye to spot the active cell. The thin green lines are too hard to spot.

Give us the possibility to change the background color, of the active cell, to any color suites the user.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Option to highlight the row or cell where your cursor is located.

Currently there is only a line around the row number or the cell.

E.g., you are on row 12 or on row 12, column L, the entire row or a cell will highlight in a pale color different than the worksheet. This would work well for those who have 10 or more columns going across. The end-user could choose a color and it could be a toggle for those who do not opt to have the row/cell highlighted.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Allow navigating from sheet to sheet and landing in the same cell.

Move from sheet to sheet in a workbook so that one ends up in the same cell in each sheet. In LOTUS 123 it was [SHIFT}{ALT}{PAGEUP} OR {PAGEDOWN}.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Shortcut to move cursor to Name Box

I currently avoid using the Name Box because I can only get there by using the mouse. If there was a shortcut to get there it would be a really quick, direct way to name ranges and navigate to ranges.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. SHOW ANSWERS TO all student EXCERSISES EXCEL 2016 workbooks/ ebooks

SHOW ANSWERS TO all student EXCERSISES EXCEL 2016 workbooks/ ebooks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Highlite Active row for easier navigation on sheet....

I work with lots of lines and its tireing to try and track which row im on,
    Please try and Highlight the active row.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Make Cells More Visible by Highlighting Them

Make it possible to highlight a cell so that when I leave the spreadsheet and go back to it is easier to find where I left off

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. I would like a vertical screen split on the left and right side of the spreadsheet

I would like a vertical screen split on the left and right sides of the spreadsheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Multiple levels of worksheet protection for each cell...

When I protect a worksheet, some cells I don't want the user to be able to select at all, or edit in any way. And some cells I want to lock against the user editing, but still need him/her to be able to select those cells, whether it be for highlighting, copying, etc. Additionally, some cells I want the user to select and enter data, but not be able to edit the formatting of the cell. This is currently easy to attain. However, many of my cells have hidden formulas which I don't want the user to edit but I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add SheetDelete(), BeforeRename(), Rename(), BeforeHide(), etc. events...

Can we please get 8 new EXTREMELY USEFUL events for Excel worksheets: SheetDelete(), BeforeRename(), Rename(), BeforeHide(), Hide(), BeforeUnhide(), Unhidden(), and BeforeNewSheet(). Excel already has NewSheet() and SheetBeforeDelete() events.

It makes sense that the BeforeNewSheet(), NewSheet(), SheetBeforeDelete(), and the SheetDelete() events must be in the workbook code object module, and that they should posses the "Sh As Object" argument in order to determine which sheet the user is attempting to act on. But the rest should be available in each worksheet's code object module.

All of he "Before...()" events, including the existing ones, would additionally need a "Cancel As Boolean" argument/parameter,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Scrolling with large cells

Scrolling with large cells is usually a nightmare, when are Microsoft going to do something about this

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Single Page Zoom

When in Page Layout mode, have the option to zoom out on one page. Word has a "One Page" option in the zoom settings. Excel is default to "Multiple Pages" when zooming out and scrolling. Would be nice to see how the document will appear printed out.

See attached for what is available in Word.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Tabs on the side

I work with loads of tabs and spend too much time scrolling left / right. Can the tabs go on the side of the spreadsheet with a scrollbar? Should be a nice fix that can be made optional for users!

I can imagine huge cost savings for any company using big spreadsheets

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Viewing / Navigating Workbooks  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Use "×" instead of "x" in the Name Box when showing the dimensions during the selection of cells

As you are selecting a range of cells, the Name Box will display the dimensions of your selection in the format "1R x 2C". Please change the "x" to "×" (times sign), since this is the proper symbol.

We no longer live in the days when we need to worry about whether or not someone's computer has the correct fonts installed to be able to display non-ASCII characters. The "×" will display on modern computers.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Tabs Up Top (Optional)

REQUEST

Allow users to place tabs up top, just below the Ribbon. They are getting buried to the lower depth of increasing resolution and screen sizes.

SITUATION

Days gone by, monitor and resolution sizes were smaller and tabs held a relatively larger chuck of desktop real estate within a reasonable peripheral view. This is no longer the case. Monitor and resolution sizes have and will continue grow.

PROBLEM

As the virtual desktop grows in space, the relative size and lower level placement of tabs impedes their recognition and use. I find myself falling into the bad habit of not making…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Enabling and disabling edit mode.

Make an Edit Mode toggle so that way arrow keys only become effective inside cells, and no longer move between cells. Would be very useful and time saving when transferring data to be able to use the arrow keys to move back a few characters without having to use a mouse to select a spot within the cell or re-select the cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base