Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Anchor period during formula entry.

Upon upgrading to Excel version l 365 16.0.11328, I lost the ability to anchor formula ranges with the period key instead of the colon. Prior to this version, hitting the period would insert a colon so that I could complete a cell range. Could this functionality be added back to the "Transition Navigation Keys" option?

Having started with Lotus 123 back in the 1980's, I still use "Transition Navigation Keys." Using the period during formula entry has become second nature and is embedded in my muscle memory. Please kindly consider this for your more "seasoned" Excel users.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

19 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Immediately color-code cell references upon selection

When we edit a cell by double-clicking it or hitting F2, we get a very helpful color-coding of the cells it references. Why can't we just get this color-coding immediately upon selecting the cell? That way we could easily click or arrow-key through several cells and quickly see what they're referencing, rather than having to squint and find "Column G.... Row 11....., Column K .... Row 15....", etc.

See attached GIF animations demonstrating the current behavior versus what I'm proposing.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. make cell formula language independent

The cell() formula is nice, but it is a real problem that the criteria when using the formula is not language independent. to my knowledge, this is the only formula in excel (or at least one of very few) that doesn't work as intendend when opened is excel with another language :-(

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Fix filter in Office 365 (behaves differently to Officer 2016 + prior)

See attached chat session.

In office 2016, when you click Data + Filter from within a workbook, Excel takes you automatically to the top row of the spreadsheet where the filters are.

In Office 365, you need to manually scroll back to the top of the workbook.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. lookup formula

Hi, Lookup formula is not working well when we just want to search in an small 2 column table like the image attached it is working wrongly and if we don't attention to it can make big mistakes.
    I know we can use vlookup formula in 2column tables but if the table wasn't in 2 column we can't do any thing with lookup and neither Hlookup.
    because some of my tables are on 2 rows and I can't use this functions because it will give wrong answers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. How to avoid auto adding the stupid @ operator without looking up the context?

When I need the columns that can be mod-3, I've got my formula automatically added with a stupid '@' without look for the context,
    Can you explain this? I don't know where to get help or ask question, it seems the community is a rubbish.
    My formula is:

=MIN(IF(MOD(COLUMN(G6:R6)-COLUMN(I6),3)=0,G6:R6))

The values in Row-6: A FAIL -9.46% 6.07% -9.46% 6.07% 0.43% 0.89% 0.62% 0.02% 0.10% 0.05% -0.19% 0.14% -0.02% -9.46% 6.07% -0.12%
    it is infinitely long, maybe 10000B cells and even longer, so do not suggest a stupid solution of selecting each of the cells satisfied.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Expanded symbol table

I am creating a tutorial for myself from physics texts using Excel but am not using the Equations feature. I am using symbols that approximate the physics symbol, but it would be nice to be able to import a symbol/font with standard physics symbols. For example: r-hat, u-hat, n-hat, x-hat are unit vector symbols with a letter and a ^ over the letter; fields and forces are E or F with a right vector arrow above them; of course all the greek letters. It would be nice to see all these symbols in a font or dedicated symbol table, whether…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add new function for dynamic array like SQL "UNION"

With the new functions added by Microsoft called "dynamic arrays", SQL-like functions can be easily implemented.
    It would be useful to add a "UNION" function to dynamically queue tables or areas of equal column widths into a new dynamic array.

For example, "Tab1 " with 10 lines, "Tab2" with 15 lines... UNION(Tab1;Tab2) to create a new dynamic array consisting of 25 lines

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. I'm an investor and I'd like to fool around with the stockhistory function. How do get a hold of it? tejacobs@optonline.net

No idea. Just joined Office Insider, and as an investor, want to try out the STOCKHISTORY function. Who do I see to get it turned on? I realize its in Beta and may change its complexion but I'll take my chances.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Show if formulas are compatible backwards and to which version

I hesitate using some of the newer formulas as I don't know what versions are compatible.
    Could you mark formusla as 365 only, 2013-2019, 2007-2010 or all versions.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. excel里如数值为86.44度,调用函数TRUNC()时,计算公式为=TRUNC((F8-TRUNC(F8))*100),取整后数值应该是44,但是这函数取整后却等于43,是什么原因?

excel里如数值为86.44度,调用函数TRUNC()时,计算公式为=TRUNC((86.44-TRUNC(86.44))*100),取整后数值应该是44,但是这函数取整后却等于43,是什么原因?而且我们还做了实验,发现如果直接对数值取整没有问题,调用函数计算取整遇到如下这些数值时就会出现减一的情况(02、05、07、08、10、11、13、16、19、21、22、24、27、30、32、33、35、36、38、41、44、46、47、49、52、55、57、58、60等数值)。通过对上述公式计算的数值进行认真分析后发现(86.44-TRUNC(86.44))本应该等于44的,但实际却等于43.9999999999,请问这是什么原因导致的,希望尽快得到处理意见,十分感谢。

补充说明:这个问题不管是在office2007版里还是2010版、2016版里都出现这种情况

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Please implement COUNTUNIQUE

Google Sheets has a =COUNTUNIQUE formula. This isn't supported in Excel and it's very ugly to try to recreate using combinations of existing formulas. Could we please have the =COUNTUNIQUE formula supported in Excel?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. A formula for fiscal year started from month

A formula to calculate Fiscal year based upon starting month. The result can be Fiscal month serial number and year in the format YYYY-YY(+/-)1. For Example. Fiscal year starting from April the formula FiscalYear(13-6-2020,4) should return "3/2020-21" or something like this.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make VBA accept array formulas in Format Condition (Type 2)

Hello,

This is not an idea but a bug I noticed on Conditional Formatting.
    It occurs in Office 2019 and below. Not sure about 365.

Excel accepts an array formula for Type 2 (Expression) Format Condition entered via the Exel GUI. No need for special validation at input time.

Defining this exact same formula in VBA (.Formula1) does not make it an array formula ! The Conditional Formatting does not work anymore.

The attached file illustrates it in a simple way.

Would be nice to fix this.

Best Regards,
    JP

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Make VBA accept array formulas in Format Condition (Type 2)

Hello,

This is not an idea but a bug I noticed on Conditional Formatting.
    It occurs in Office 2019 and below. Not sure about 365.

Excel accepts an array formula for Type 2 (Expression) Format Condition entered via the Exel GUI. No need for special validation at input time.

Defining this exact same formula in VBA (.Formula1) does not make it an array formula ! The Conditional Formatting does not work anymore.

The attached file illustrates it in a simple way.

Would be nice to fix this.

Best Regards,
    JP

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Using Color As A Formula...

Maybe I Could Not Find It.
    I want a formula attached with if function just like...
    I want the cell to be red if value is less that 0, Green if value is greater than 0 and Orange if the value is 0.
    The conditional formatting is too slow to use.
    Kindly Suggest If anyone knows...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Excel Dynamic Array calculation engine bug

I recently discovered a bug in the Excel Dynamic Array Calculation Engine. If you refer to a formula that has a potential circular reference in it, the dynamic array will create a circular reference when the dynamic array formula is referred to by yet another cell that potentially can be involved in the potential circ, regardless of whether there is an acutal circular reference in the current spreadsheet's state.

For example, if you have a formula that calculates average interest based on the beginning and ending balance of a piece of debt that depends on how much cash you have…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. [Excel Currency Conversion Function] add Tezos XTZ (Cryptocurrency)

Please add support for Tezos in this function.
    Tezos is very popular and provides formal verification for Smart-Contracts, on-chain-Governance and it is the first Blockchain which is amendable (without the need of so called "Hardforks"). Ticker symbol is $XTZ.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Be able to add a "Full Name" field with a specific button.

Being able to highlight the first and last name column and click "Add Full Name"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Be more user friendly

Tell me how to ask a question to tech support about a problem I am having when the stated default does not work in excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base