Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Subtotal in the Outline Group in Data Tab

When selecting the subtotal in the Outline group in the Data tab, you are presented with a dialogue to select the Column where at each change you select the function (Sum, Average, etc.…). I wish that Excel will sort the column after the selection automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Trend function between an array with multiple data points

This would be a new function that would allow you to calculate a fitted trend value to data, trending between the closest two data points instead of the entire dataset.

For example, let's say you have data for 5 year increments between 2000 and 2020, so data for 2000, 2005, 2010, 2015, and 2020.

Currently, using a trend line will just fit a line of best fit across all data points, but this can produce values that deviate a lot and don't fit well.

Instead, a formula that linearly interpolates between the two closest values would provide a better approximation…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. LOGEST

Please suppress the overspill output from the LOGEST function. Prior to the latest Excel version, the basic logest function would give the growth rate in a single cell. Now the calculation spills over some calulaton values into the adjacent cell and cannot be deleted or hidden. This makes it a problem when including the LOGEST growth rates in a table, as there is superfluous (for display purposes) information in the adjacent cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Match Function Reverse Order

Add ability for Match function to base match on a reverse order lookup.
    e.g. Match(A1,A1:A100,0,REVERSEORDER)
    which should start the match from row 100 to row 1.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create WORKTIME as a new function

I would like to have a formula that returns the date and time that is the indicated number of working hours before or after a date and time (the starting date and time). This would be similar to the WORKDAY function, but would also account for business hours.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1. Ability to set a pop up function to a specific file prior to turning off a laptop

1. Ability to set a pop up function to a specific file prior to turning off a laptop,

2. When you turn your laptop back on that specific file opens up so you can continue working.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. make vlookup see towards left also

vlookup function only matches data in the right side, i want to use the reverse order also

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Named spilled arrays

When defining named ranges using Ctrl+Shift+F3, add a "Include spilled array" checkbox to the label selection dialog box.

This would simply reference the first cell next to the label with the spill operand.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Introduce #N/F as a new ERROR.TYPE besides #/A

With the arrival of XLOOKUP() there is a real need for a new error.type that can distinguish a criteria not matched or not found from a non available value #N/A.

I suggest that a new #N/F i.e. a not found error be added and ERROR.TYPE(#N/F) would give ... 9, i.e. just after error.type 8 (#GETTING_DATA).

Besides ISNA() we could have also ISNF()

One must also think of what would return ISERR() and ISERROR() and what IFERROR() would do.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Evaluate Formula Readability

There needs to be a huge update regarding the Evaluate Formula.
    I'm sure those using this feature are not trying to see simple calculations done.

For me, I might create a report that has a cell calculate multiple IFs within IFs that have embedded functions.

with this in mind, it would be a huge advantage to the user if the Evaluate Formula has the following upgrades:

1. able to expand the window.
      the window currently is too small and only allows to view simple calculations.

2. color code what is being calculated.
      with everything being the same color it is a bit…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Excel Data Column Relation

Create an Excel function that gives a data relationship score between an input column of data and the corresponding result column of data. The function will output between -1 and 1 with 1 to be a complete relationship, 0 no relationship and -1 a complete inverse relationship. This function would be available in both Excel & Power Query. This is like fuzzy matching feature in Power Query. Fuzzy matching compares two cells this new Fuzzy data relationship compares two columns.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Broaden some of Excel's output forms

Excel has some things it won't do, at least one of which it kind of blames on what YOU are trying to do, because it has one chosen method of output after your action and that output can't be figured out by it for the input.

Say you have A1 to B3:

1...a
    .....b
    3...c

and you select all cells but for A2 however you wish to do it. Now try to copy to the clipboard. Won't do it. Reason?

"This action won't work on multiple selections."

In truth, Excel wishes to give an output that eliminated blanks. So select…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. create

I have created Dynamic lookup function with 4 inputs
    1) Range
    2) Lookup Value
    3) Lookup Range
    4) Column From lookup range
    In vlookup function the value you are matching should be 1st column in range.
    In dynamic function it can be any column in the range to look to left need to give column no -1,-2 etc and to look to right column no 1,2 etc

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Highlight cells affacted by formula

When a cell contains a formula pressing F2 highlights the cells referred to in the formula. It would be nice to see those highlights by just moving to the cell i.e. not having to press F2. Numbers does that and its bloody handy.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. The new Dynamic Array Formulas should include a condition for Sum or count the results of an array

Excel engine should include an extra condtion (optional) concerning the formulas that return arrays , which allow to add a sum or count or average to the end of the results of the formula

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Filter and Sortby need to be coordinated

Dynamic array functions Filter and Sortby should be coordinated.

So I want to filter and sort a list of values from a table. For example, I want the list of values Table1[ID] filtered where Table1[Date] <> "" sorted by Table1[Customer].

If you want to return all referenced values you can do SORT(FILTER(Table1[ID]:[ColZ],Table1[Date]<>""),2,1) assuming column 2 is [Customer] but if you only want Table1[ID] returned this won't work.

To use SORTBY and FILTER you have to put SORTBY inside FILTER (not consistent with SORT(FILTER ) and then for every FILTER condition you have to use the entire SORTBY reference. So this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Stop ignoring valid comments that you don't appreciate

It's been known for years that the way Excel deals with circular references is very poor. Under certain circumstances, you pop up a warning that one or more circular references exist, but none can be found and fixed. I'd be happy to get a list of fields that contain the error. If the system rechecks and finds another circular reference, I could then dispose of them quickly and keep trying to save until I succeed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. dynamic references

Need to include calculated (and dynamic) references everywhere where appropriate:

DataValidation lists
    COntrol properties
    COnditional format influencing regions
    etc ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. upgrade vlookup() (and hlookup()) so that you can provide the column header text instead of column number. i.e. database search - dget()

Excel has the DGET() function that allows a database search. You give the name of the column it should find the match in, and the name of the column where the value should be returned to. If vlookup can be upgraded to be similar, then it will be much more powerful:

Example:
    newVlookup(value, data range, match column, return column, match type)

newVlookup(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A:E,"Order Number", "Order Description", false)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base