Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. I want to identify multiple cells $Eg:which admin expenses which are linked to particular figure Eg:Total admin expense in another work

I want to identify multiple cells (Eg:which admin expenses) which are linked to particular figure (Eg:Total admin expense) in another work sheet/book. It is difficult to use Trace precedent when 20+ cells are linked from multiple locations. Please develop a way to identify linked cells in different sheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. add simple logical functions

Add functions like XOR, NOR, NAND, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. formula error

As I think there is a bug in index formula in excel. = index(table,0,1)---> then it gave wrong calculation. it's answer should be -error but it show same row answer (if formula in same row(that table)) that is wrong. ( if formula is not same row that it's gave right answer(error). Please update it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ability to program images showing in a cell based on the text in another cell

I would love to see a formula to input an image in a cell based on the text in another cell. For instance, if cell A1 has the number 10 then I could input a picture of a 10 in cell b1. This would be very useful in doing dashboarding and reporting in excel when executives want to see things like colored arrows based on how things are trending instead of just text saying the project is green and trending upward.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. In DATA menu there is no function for columns to text function with comma separation. Like an inverted Text to Column function.

Create a new function in DATA menu to complete the Text To Column function and do the opposite, Column To Text function, where you can specify the separation and data field to be converted into one column.
    Today it is very complicated to create *.csv files with comma separation from a number of columns.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add a BETWEEN function & operator

The BETWEEN function is in Microsoft Access, it should also be in Excel. And one could use the operator >< to represent it. So you would have:

=15>A1<25 or =BETWEEN(A1,15,25)
    ="A">A1<"C" or BETWEEN(A1,"D","L")
    =DATE(2020,1,1)>A1<DATE(2020,4,5) or BETWEEN(A1,DATE(2020,1,1)DATE(2020,4,5))

wildcard (*, ?, and ~) could be applied:

="D">A1<"L??" or BETWEEN(A1,"D","L??")

Use the same definition of BETWEEN as MS Access.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. determine concurrent dates

A function that given beginning and ending dates for two separate events can determine what portion, if any, of those two events is concurrent. The result would be the number of days that are concurrent.
    There could also be a function that given the same input could determine the number of days that are not concurrent.
    The function could be further expanded to accept more than two events.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Provide native functions to return the core Stock and Geography data values

The Stock data type is fantastic but I believe it has one fundamental floor:
    The root cell from which all the data categories refer to can only be created by selecting the cell, adding some kind of identifying value and then clicking on the Stock (or Geography) button under the data tab. This seems rather clunky to me. A function should exist that creates the core reference cell dynamically. For example the function could look something like this: STOCK("XASX:RIO") or GEOGRAPHY("France"). I currently create these core cells with VBA code but a native function would be far more efficient and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add a formula formatter (similar to PowerApps)

PowerApps has a great feature that allows you to format (and un-format) a formula with the press of a button to help make it more readable.

Excel need the same.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Simple formulas allowed in sheet name eg: tab named "=A1" naming sheet contents of A1

Title really says it all.

It would be handy for ongoing documents that are repetitive in nature.

I often find myself copying a layout of one sheet into another and then change the title or date somewhere; it would be good to have it automatically grab the relevant value to use as the sheet name.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add ability to use countifs with colored cells

Add ability to use countifs with color of cell as a criteria

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Version History Analysis

A colleague uses Version History to go back and look at why a decision was made on 'running documents'.
    This is primarily used in Forecasting.
    This has become a useful feature after I taught her it she has used it regularly.
    It would be great to have a feature where on documents that have had data changed regularly, you could gain an analysis from what was historically in that cell, table or sheet.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Keyboard shortcut to close Help dialogue box

Since moving to Excel 2016 I've found that if you accidentally hit F1, the Help dialogue box now opens up as a sidebar within Excel and there is no way to close this dialogue box using keyboard shortcuts, you must use the mouse. Previously you could alt+F4 to close the dialogue box as it opened as a separate program instance.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Improve the EDATE function to allow for other time periods.

Currently the EDATE function only accepts a number of months to advance from the start date. Obviously adding days can be done with a simple addition, but may require additional logic to accommodate leap years. Similarly, years can be done by using a multiple of 12 months, however this leads to use of constants in formulae which is not best practice.

In order to maintain backwards compatibility, suggest either adding EDAY, EWEEK, EFORTNIGHT, EMONTH, EYEAR; or EDATE.DAY, EDATE.YEAR and so on; or add a third optional argument to EDATE where month is the default, but can be changed to other…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Drop-down editor for cells and python-like language as an alternative to VBA scripts in drop-down of cell in another tab

There are two things I feel can enhance the usability of MS Excel. The first one is to provide a drop-down editor when writing formulas. In another tab, as an alternative to VBA scripts python-like language can be used. The user defined variable names can be used, similarly the cell variables can be referred with the similar $A1$ fashion as inbuilt variables. The range variables $B:B$ can be treated as arrays. Thus the python like manipulations is made available in spreadsheets

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Have a feature to Lock cells from being used in formulas.

I really don't want for my SUM formula to calculate some of the numbers in some cells, but its a pain to lock the columns that need to be interacted with.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make it possible to have a sinngular dropdrown list in an IF statement

I would like for it to be possible to have an IF statement return a drop-down list if a condition is true, and rather than another drop-down list, auto-populate the cell with a given string if the condition is false. A specific example of this would be =IF(EXACT(K3, "Yes"), [M3 becomes a drop down list], "N/A"). I am aware that it is possible to make dependent drop down lists in data validation, but this does not work, as both results must be drop down lists.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow Named Values to take Parameters

I want to define a formula but be able to apply that formula to different inputs (values or ranges) in my sheet. Named Values effectively provide a shorthand to inject a given formula into other formulas, this is a straightforward extension of that behavior.

Example, my company uses a "work week" number that differs slightly from the built in formula, I would like to be able to write this formula one can use it anywhere in my sheet (without enabling macros)

In a more complex example, I have a sheet that does a lookup to identify a range of several…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base