Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a GPS functions and formulas

1 Compute the distance between to GPS points

2) Compute the shortest route between to points from Bing map. An application would be the route travelled for a rent a bicycle program.
    3 ) Does a GPS point fall within a defined radius of a GPS point, eg how many slippery sidewalk calls came from within one kilometer of City Hall
    4 ) Find GPS point from a street address

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Range Filter

One of the most useful functions in excel are the *IFS; like countifs, sumifs,...etc.

However, it would be great to have this syntax in all functions by dedicating a separate function that applies criteria on different ranges and returns a range that satisfies all of these conditions.

Example:-

Currently we have to do this :

=Median(if(Range1=Criteria1,if(Range2<Criteria2,if(Range3<>0,Range4,))))

Alternatively, we can have a function that looks like this:

=Median(RangeFilter(Range4,Range1,Criteria1,Range2,"<"Criteria2, Range3,<>0))

This syntax is copied from SUMIFS but it will allow us to apply it to any function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow subtotals as part of the footer

There should be an option to allow running subtotals per page in the footer/header. Right now there's no way to be able to total any column as a running total without having to manually enter the formula at the bottom of each page, and when adding/removing rows this would be moving around quite a bit.

Simple idea: Allow to select a column or range that has a total at the bottom of each page; preferably with an option to having running total or per-page total.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. easy nested formula creation

when you create nested formulas, you need to think very hard how to write the formula correctly with parenthesis but also with the data logic.
    Getting both at first shot is impossible!
    What if you put calculation step in one cell horizontally. When this is done, you have your calculation right and no syntax error.
    Select all cells with simple calculation and use my new nested formula creation. Syntax error free 100% guarranteed! Waiting for MS excel to contact me for further discussion.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Positive number in cell should have an assumed + in front of it.

If a cell has a positive number in it, we shouldn't have to enter a "+" in front of the number prior to changing the cell to a formula. Example: Cell currently has a 5 in it. To append the cells contents with "-4" I shouldn't have to enter a + in front of the 5. 5-4 should be a valid formula, just like +5+4.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Remove older Compatibility functions from IntelliSense

If all supported versions of Excel list a function under the Compatibility category, then the function should be removed from IntelliSense. This should help discourage people from developing spreadsheets for unsupported versions of Excel, and it declutters the IntelliSense list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to stop Excel returning to cell where formula is entered after pressing F4

When entering a formula, if the cell where the formula is being entered is not visible, after pressing F4 to make a cell reference absolute, the view shifts so that the cell where the formula is being entered is visible. Please have an option to stop this behavior so that the view does not shift.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Stop Limiting Solidworks PDM Variables to 255 Characters in Cells

When having a Solidworks PDM file card variable mapped to a cell in an Excel document, it gets limited to 255 characters. This is annoying for the new ECO process our company has implemented. Why this is limited I have no idea but doing research I can tell this has been a known issue for many years.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Reminder

Dear Microsoft

Please inform whether we get paid for good but simple suggestions to improve the usability of Excel and its sales.

Awaiting an answer.

Thank You

Lakdasa

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. convert decimals into hours and minutes

Convert tracked hours and minute (Not referring to time of day but cumulative hours of work) into decimals.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Knowing the dimensions of a spilled array

Need formula functions to get the dimensions (row count and column count) of a spilled array.

or a sort of "Append" function for the spilled arrays, to append multiple spilled arrays after one another.

I need to place some text, and / or another spilled array, below a spilled array.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Dynamic Array Functions

All seven brand new Dynamic Array Functions should be made available as an upgrade to Excel 2019

They do function Automa-gically ...!!!

A huge customer base would be delighted to enjoy these great new features !!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Power Query transformation to shift column values

Please, add a new table function in the M language (Power Query) to add a column in an existing table which shifts a given list of columns as argument alowing the reference of previous or next rows, similar to pandas DataFrame.shift or DataFrame.diff.

There are some alternatives today: insert an index column and use a {index-1} syntax, insert two indices and perform a self join, among others, but a native transformation would be more performant.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Error VBA LoadPicture(pathname) ! OFFICE 2010 VBA is Path/file access error 75 with LoadPicture, for path length over 125 characters

Error description LoadPicture():

1 path , 2 path - both have the same image files:
    picture name: [010][T][Wiertlo NWAa 6.5_4.0 stopnio.][x][***][ A ][ GOTOWE ].jpg

path 2 is longer (134 characters) then path 1 (118 characters)

'LoadPicture with path 1(118 characters) - works correctly

UFBFEDITCLICK.ImageZdjęciePowiększone.Picture = LoadPicture("D:+++SKLEP+++FOLDERY Z DANYMI - BAZA SKLEP\SKLEP[010][T][Wiertlo NWAa 6.5_4.0 stopnio.][x][***][ A ][ GOTOWE ].jpg")

'LoadPicture with path 2 (134 characters) - VBA error 75 (Path/File access error)

UFBFEDITCLICK.ImageZdjęciePowiększone.Picture = LoadPicture("D:+++SKLEP+++FOLDERY Z DANYMI - BAZA SKLEP\SKLEP ZDJECIA TOWAROW[010][T][Wiertlo NWAa 6.5_4.0 stopnio.][x][***][ A ][ GOTOWE ].jpg")

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Translate Text Function (for foreign languages)

It would be awesome to have a Translate() function.

An example in the real world I experience is I get a recruiting file from China and all the job titles are in Chinese. It would be great to have a function that I could point to all these job title cells and tell Excel to translate to English. I believe Google sheets already has a function that does this if you need inspiration :)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Logic argument to only display spill array upon data entry

I'm thinking of an agument at the end of the spill array to "display always" or "data entry".

I've been working on a live updating spending tracker for the coming year, and there are spill arrays that show my spending by percentage. While there is no data entered, my spill array shows errors "DIV/0" because no data has been entered.

I'd like to spill arrays that show my spending ordered by percentage to only show after data has been entered into the spending tracker.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow Data Validation List function to use the new "UNIQUE" formula

The new "UNIQUE" feature is fantastic and it would be fantastic if you could use this function to create a dynamic list in a data validation list using indirect, rather than creating a separate dynamic list using the unique function and then creating a dynamic named range for this and then using the indirect function in a data validation list.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel used to have simple "click" functions instead of all the complex formulas. Stop forcing us to memorize complex formulas!

Excel was supposed to help the end user perform tasks without having to learn every formula like a software programmer. Now, just to merge two cells that were separated when imported to Excel I have to create a formula to combine the cells, then do a formula that copies the data collected by formula1 and prints it into formula2 so that i can delete the original data and the first formula so that they do not show up on a printed form.

How this helps stream line business problems?... I don't know. It just made a simple task for a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Need Excel Stats function of Normality Test (Anderson-Darling, or Ryan-Joiner test parameters)

Anderson-Darling or Ryan-Joiner test with plotting for Normality Test

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Does microsoft pay us for good ideas

I have a simple but an effective idea to improve the usage of Microsoft Excel. Before I forward my idea please tell me whether I would get paid for this. I think You should pay users for new good sugestions. please reply.

Thank You

Lakdasa

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base