Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Name a dynamic array (rather than use "A1#" notation)

The new dynamic array notation is incredibly powerful, but one thing that makes formulas complicated is the "A1#" notation when used in formulas.

It would be great if you could (easily) assign a name to it in the same way that you can name an Excel table.

It would be much easier to see:

=SUMIFS(TABLE1[totals],TABLE1[dept],departments)

than

=SUMIFS(TABLE1[totals],TABLE1[dept],B1#)

I am able to define a named range for these values, but that is a bit clunky. It would be great if the naming was exactly the same as Table naming (e.g. in an ARRAY context menu like the TABLE context menu).

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Error en realizar resta en excel.

Hola, al realizar la resta de dos números me da un resultado erróneo.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. guida

Inserire icona riduci

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. colonne

Prevedere l'inserimento multiplo di colonne.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Error Checking For Shape Textbox

The textbox I have added to my shape uses a cell reference for its content. Even though the cell reference is =#REF!, the error checking ignores this.

Error Checking should check for bad cell references contained in text boxes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Conditional formulas based on Cell Colors

Currently, we can assign Colors (Using Conditional Formatting) based upon cell Values.
    It would be great if we can also do the opposite: Assigning values based upon cell colors. Or even go beyond that and create conditional formulas (SumIf, AverageIF, CountIF) with color criteria.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Functions in Data Validation Drop-Down Boxes

I would like to use the Data Validation drop-down boxes to hold a function that I can paste down the column. I need 4 different functions for an upload sheet and it would be easier than creating a separate sheet for each function. This is data which uploads to sql.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. The custom filter option "doesn not contain" "and" "does not contain" is wrong. The "and" is confused with the "or". Please correct that

The custom filter option "doesn not contain" "and" "does not contain" is wrong. The "and" is confused with the "or". Please correct that. Thanks and best regards,
    Peter

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Return Cursor to Find Dialog Box After Search

Return the cursor to the find dialog box after searching whether or not results are returned.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. meadianif

Just like `averageif`, it would sure be nice to have a mediumif function

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. A formula to calculate the direction of a vector from 0 to 360 degrees.

The formula is working for any value of x and y, is not using any trigonometric function and give the result with an accuracy of one billionth of the degree.

f(x , y)=180/pi()*(pi()/8*sign(x*y)*sign(y^2-x^2)+pi()/4*(4-2*sign(y)-sign

(x*y))-pi()/2*(1-sign(y^2))*(sign(x^2)+sign(x))-
    n=0
    sign(x*y)*Σ(-1)^n*((abs(x)*(sqrt(2)-1)^(x^2-y^2)-abs(y)/
    n=17
    (abs(x)+abs(y)*(sqrt(2)-1)^(x^2-y^2)))^(2n+1)/(2n+1))

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. drag dates

Allow dates to be dragged/autofilled even when the cell size is not equal. For example, we create many spreadsheets with different amounts of merged cells, making the cells different sizes. It would be amazing if I could still autofill those cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Vlookup tool tip improvement/multi monitor

Vlookup tool tip improvement / better multi-monitor support

When running vlookups across multiple monitors, the Column counting tool-tip is tiny and moves to varying places in the program depending on how may instances of excel are open and on which monitor.

It would be better if the tooltip column counter was larger and more predictable in order to quickly access the column count for the 3rd condition of the vlookup statement.

Screen capture included for reference of issue.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Parameters passing to Named Ranges

I'd like a simple passing of parameters to Named Ranges that would work similarly to the way they are passed to functions:

=VLOOKUP(A12,People,2,FALSE)

for example. Similarly, if I had a Named Range (call it "Horse") that implemented the VLOOKUP() function and desired to pass it the first and last parameters needed by VLOOKUP(), I would enter:

=Horse(A12,false)

I CAN do this, with a LOT of work to set it up each time, and not, um, precisely looking the same, but close:

=Horse + N("A12,false")

but again, not only is the work involved onerous, the bulk of it means that a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Prevent FILTERXML from converting Dates and Numbers in the XML document

If a node contains information which can be read as a date, or as a number, FILTERXML returns that as an Excel Date, or number rather than returning the text. Example: Node contains `May 2016`. FILTERXML returns `43586`. It will also drop leading 0's from numbers. In both cases, especially when dealing with XML documents, it seems to me that default should be to return the text.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. BUG in EXCEL/ @SUM, autocorrect current version(s) of Office 365

previous versions of EXCEL allowed a user to input @sum(a1.a10) and excel would autocorrect the . to a : (colon) - making the formula correct and work. This trained excel users that inputting a "." was OK.

Now, Office 365 does NOT autocorrect, throwing a wrench in the gears for users that are accustomed to being able to input a "." in the typed in range

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Issues about cell reference in formulas and large formulas edition.

I was working here in a spreadsheet that contains a range with like 50 cells filled with quite large formulas, and all formulas uses, by more than one time a reference to cell $Q$1 that shall contain an integer number.
    Problem is, it is a requinted layout and I need to make a simples small chage where I deleted Q column and then the new $Q$1 cell had a text on it, wich was previously the R1 cell. Naturaly all the formulas got an error, of course. But when changed the value of Q1 to a integer number I noticed…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Function like iferror, but checking against a value (or array of values)

This function should work like an extended version of IFERROR. An expression value shoud be checked against a value (array of values?). If it matches that value (any of them), then the value_if_matched results. Otherwise, the checked expression itself is the result of the function.

If the syntax was: IFVALUE (expression, value_to_match, value_if_matched), then

IFVALUE("great idea", "", "no match") results to "great idea".
    IFVALUE("", "", "empty string") results to "empty string".

I very often have to check, if the result of a complex expression results to zero or an empty string; if not, the expression is the result. This woud…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Copy formulas from one instance of Excel to another

When I copy and paste cells with formulas into another instance of Excel, the cell values are pasted rather than the formulas. Please make it possible to copy formulas between instances of Excel.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Change Default (Group) Outline Direction Settings

I often use the Group feature to organize large spreadsheets, but I hate needing to change the default Outline Direction settings on every worksheet where I use grouping.

Please have Excel remember my selection, or allow users to change the default direction (uncheck row / column boxes) at the program level (File --> Options).

I have yet to find a need to have the expand / collapse (+ / -) buttons show data above / left of the header.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base