Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. SEARCH functions to return 0 (instead of #VALUE!) if the text is not found

All Find & Search functions should return the 0 (null) code if the "Findtext" does not get found in "Withintext" instead of the current #VALUE! error. That would much simplify usage of SEARCH function together with IF function.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Please add Xlookup and XMatch functions for Office 2019 Professional Plus users.

Please add Xlookup and XMatch functions for Office 2019 Professional Plus users.

For that matter either give Office 2019 Pro Plus users the option to migrate to Office 365 at a reduced cost or provide the nice new office 365 functions to Office 2019 Pro Plus users

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. can Microsoft pay us for good suggestions made

Can Microsoft pay us for good suggestions for improving Ms Excel usability?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support of dynamic array formulas in tables

Support of dynamic array formulas in tables

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Enter hyphen instead of zero in blank cell

Select File, Options, Advanced and you have a default choice to leave a cell which has a formula but no data to show either a blank cell or a zero. I suggest another choice should be allowed as a default. A hyphen,
    That way you would know there is a formula in the cell and not to place data in the cell over writing the formula.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Formula to return multiple values from LookUp function

We need a simple formula that can return all the values from data source based on a lookup. Vlookup, Xlookup return only first matching value and don't check further.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Disabling macros embedded in a totally different Excel file, since it prevents, for example, cut-and-paste functionality

Monday, 21-Sep-2020

1. While working on a different file []File-A], keeping a macro-enabled workbook [File-B] open, the macros in that workbook [File-B] prevent me from using cut-and-paste functionality in File-A. File-B has the built-in, embedded macro function of preventing cut-and-paste [inside File-B].

2. This is quite annoying, because all that happens is that File-B is just OPEN, but the error message says, "you can't use cut-and-paste function" here in File-A.

3. How can an open File-B prevent me from using this function in File-A ?

4. Does File-B have a built-in formula or macro that disables the entire Excel Program's function ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. STOCKHISTORY Sorting

Recently used STOCKHISTORY function and its very useful and most awaited feature, however I believe data should have been sorted new to old or sorting of the data should have been available. Hoping to see this option available in the function.

Again, amazing function provided. extremely helpful. Thanks MS Excel team.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Slow in responce 2019 and excel 365

In Data Validation i have apply the Custom Data Validation with multiple criteria . few criteria belong to same worksheet and few of them from other worksheet with few calculation. That Data Validation work properly in Excel 2013.
    But when ever i tested over the Excel 2019 or Excel 365 that work afer entring wrong value in next cells.If i put the value in cell and save then Data Validation work properly in 2019 and 365.

please guide me how can i Handeled this problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Extend XLOOKUP and XMATCH to return nth matched item/position

INDEX, MATCH and other variants return the FIRST value that matches the given criterion. Extend the functions (especially the new XLOOKUP/XMATCH functions) so that the formulae return the nth matching item or position

Extend XLOOKUP and XMATCH to return nth matched item/position

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. STOP FUCKINGTHINGS UP. STOP WASTING MY ******* TIME WITH YOUR **** UPDATES.

STOP THINGS UP. STOP WASTING MY TIME WITH YOUR **** UPDATES. GO FUCK_YOURSELVES MICROSOFT.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. vlookup case sensitive

very simple,VLOOKUPs are case insensitive, VLOOKUPS should be case sensitive. One use case are Salesforce reports. They produce 15 character Ids that require case sensitivity functionality in order lookup against.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. STOCKHISTORY - STOCK Field

Spit the STOCK field in the function into Exchange Code and Ticker Code. Otherwise in Data Stock have the fields combined as one e.g. XNAS:MSFT

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow lookup functions to spill in two dimension

Currently Vlookup, Xlookup, Lookup and Index function is able to produce a spilled array only across one dimension (i.e. row or column).

So, if I give a formula like =Vlookup(J4#,Table1,{2,3},0), it spills only across rows and does not spill across column. This limitation exists with every other function in the lookup family.

If these functions can be made to spill across both the dimensions, we can completely avoid copy pasting in MS Excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Notes, Comments Lookup

There should be an information formula to look for notes, comments it could be a big help like do conditional formatting based on cells that contains notes, comments

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Consider adding a keyboard shortcut for subtotal(9,

Consider adding a keyboard shortcut for subtotal(9,. Like Ctrl = for sum

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Spliting a single cell

please program to split a single cell. thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base