Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set a cell equal to another and carry over formatting too. For example: =(existing cell, CopyFont, CopyForeColor, CopyBackColor, ... )

It would be nice to be able to set a cell equal to another and have the ability to keep the font, foreground and background colors, underline setting, italic setting, etc. A nice way would be the ability to carry over each and every setting with a separate parameter so that you could pick and choose what to keep.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. RANK.SORT

You currently offer RANK.EQ and RANK.AVG neither does a good job at creating a proper ranking if there are duplicate values. If I had 10 values, five of those 1 and the other five 2, I don't want rank to produce five "1" and five "6" as RANK.EQ would, nor five 3 and five 8 as RANK.AVG would but a "proper" rank where the first 1 gets 1, the second 1 gets 2, the third 1 get 4, etc. etc. This would allow me to create a proper sorting even when there are duplicates present. Right now, if I wanted…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. ifc

multiple if statements but with a conjunctive operator for each logical test, ie AND & OR, and only one rather than many values if true/false:

=ifc([Value if true],[value if false], logical test 1, conjunctive 1, logical test 2, conjunctive 2, … logical test n).

it might not have the power of the new ifs function regarding multiple alternatives, but it makes the syntax of combining if and AND and OR a lot simpler for more casual users of excel, who I suspect are not major users of such a forum such as this.
    clearly the conjunctive operator could also be…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Extend FIND and SEARCH to look for the Nth instance of a subtext in a longer text

FIND and SEARCH currently will only find the first instance of a required text within a longer text and they always search from the beginning or to the right of a specified position. These functions would be much more useful if one could for example look for the third comma in a text or (most easily instituted by using negative counts) for the, say, third comma from the end of the text. So instance -1 of "a" in "banana" would yield a position of 6, the last "a" in the word, and instance 2 of "n" would yield 5, the…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. multiple case statements in switch function

The new switch function is great. It would be even better if multiple case statements could be grouped together. Maybe SWITCH(expression,{value1,value2,value3,...},result1,{value4,value5,...},result2,...) or maybe SWITCH(expression,SWITCHOR(val1,val2,...),result1,...).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add conditional TEXTJOIN

There is a popular user defined function publishe on the web called CONCATENATEIF (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/22639868/vba-user-defined-function-for-concatenate-if-by-rows)
    It extends TEXTJOIN to include a conditional.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Generalize MINIF and MAXIF to be SMALLIF and LARGEIF

The new conditional MIN and MAX formulae are great. Conditionalizing SMALL and LARGE would take this to the next level. A conditional version of SMALL based on the ordinary tool-set is very cumbersome.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Worksheet function like VBA.VAL()

VBA VAL("10 items") gives 10
    Excel fn =VALUE("10 items") gives #VALUE!
    Of course I can use a UDF but I'd like a native function that returned the value of the first numeric characters of a string. Even better if it can get values inside text ("Total 10 items") but I can see problems with separated digits and dots and commas so a simple behaviour like VAL() will do, thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Structured reference for "all cells" rather than 1:1048576

Sometimes in formulas but especially in conditional formatting, we want to refer to all cells of a sheet. The current notation of 1:1048576 has a few problems.

1. It is not obvious that it means "all cells"
      Most people do not have the number of rows in a spreadsheet memorized.

2. It is not futureproof
      Should Excel ever support more rows in the future, the notation 1:1048576 will lead to ambiguity. Did the user want conditional formatting on all cells or only those rows, which just so happened to be all cells at the time?

3. It does not behave like other ranges…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. DISTINCTCOUNT, DISTINCTCOUNTIFS, PERCENTILEIFS

My understanding is the Excel team is working on DISTINCTCOUNT already.

Following the blog item:
    https://blogs.office.com/2016/02/23/6-new-excel-functions-that-simplify-your-formula-editing-experience/

We need to extended the "IFS" to PERCENTILES and DISTINCTCOUNT to work on the same way that SUMIFS,COUNTIFS, MAXIFS, MINIFS, etc

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Like Function

Add a Like Worksheet Function that works in the same manner as the Visual Basic Like Operator : http://bit.ly/21zKJot

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow for Chart Cell to Infinity at a Specific Starting Point

So the idea would be to be able to select data to infinity (the end of the sheet) with an explicit starting point. You can do this in Google Sheets for instance by doing =AVERAGE(C6:C) , which would average all of the cells starting from C6 and down to the end of the sheet (in the C column). I'm not sure about this, but I would think that you could do something along the lines of =AVERAGE(B9:9) , to average all of the cells in the B row beginning at B9. I don't believe that there's a way to do…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Speaking cells options: allow Excel to speak letters/digits individually

Currently, Excel reads acronyms as words and numbers like 12,345 as 12 thousand, three hundred forty five. Please provide an option that allows the characters to be read individually.
    Thanks

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow formulas in a text box beyond a simple cell reference

Text boxes currently only allow simple cell references like "=A32". It would be useful to allow more complex formulas so that one could write "=MAX(A2:A32)" directly in the text box, rather than reference another cell with that formula.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Functions & Scoped Calculations

HI there,
    I'd like to suggest a fairly major improvement to Excel around Formulas and Functions which would be built on top of a scoping mechanism.

Often when working with an Excel spreadsheet I build out a set of formulas in a worksheet that I would like to use as a function in other areas of the workbook. A really good example would be a set of tax calculation tables that I then want to use to calculate tax on different wage amounts. The calculation can be quite complex so I can't express it in a single cell easily.

What…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. VLOOKUP NEW OPTION FOR DATABASE TABLES

VLOOKUP already support table names (if formatted as tables) column name... simply, make VLOOKUP accept not only a column INDEX but also a column NAME, e.g.

VLOOKUP(A1, [Orders], [OrderDate], false)

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Move 4 Functions to the Maths & Trig Category

SUM is in the Maths & Trig category

but

AVERAGE, COUNT, MIN and MAX are in the Statistical category

My suggestion is to move these functions to the Maths & Trig category.

Here are some reasons why:
    1 - The AGGREGATE and SUBTOTAL functions are in the Maths & Trig category
    2 - There is a dedicated Maths & Trig drop-down on the FORMULAS tab so they can be found easily

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Cell("path")

Instead of =LEFT(CELL("filename"),FIND("[",CELL("filename"))-1) return path of current worksheet.

Also: Make arguments universal between different language packs

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. STDEVIFS Standard Deviation if formula

STDEVIFS formula similar to AVERAGEIFS. Thanks

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Regression output to include labels from both columns

Currently the regression output only includes the label for the X range. It would be helpful if the Y-range label would also be included.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base