Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Hebrew Lunar Calendar functionality to Excel Date Formulas, Functions and Calculations

Neither Excel nor Access work with Hebrew dates; date functions are Gregorian and where there is support for other calendar types, Hebrew Lunar is not one of them. Even though mastering the complexity of the Hebrew Lunar calendar is a HUGE task, Outlook has offered the Hebrew Lunar Calendar alongside the Gregorian (regular) Calendar for several years now, DRAMATICALLY enhancing the value and use of its calendar and task functionality. Could the Excel Team consider it for Excel? Perhaps collaberating with the Access team could allow both programs to have improved functionality?

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. vlookup

in an enhanced vlookup function (vlookups) returns the k'th match. This will be used if there are more than one value that can be matched to the reference value

For instance in data set

100 ABC 10.3 AD
    100 BCA 11.2 AD
    100 ACB 9.8 AB

=vlookups(value, lookup range, column, type of match, index)
    =vlookups(100, A:D, 3, false, 3) --> returns the 3rd match for 100 out of column 3
    = 9.8

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow internal link to be accessible in PDF document.

Allow internal link to be accessible in PDF document.
    Example: Cell C3 contains link to cell A5. The C3 content is displayed as a link but does not work as a link to cell A5.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Find/list/format all volatile cells

Any way for excel to identify all volatile cells (and maybe as a separate list, all cells that depend on volatile cells) that would revolutionise our ability to improve a workbook's efficiency.

Excel must know this list of cells. Why not share it with the user! Surely this could be done really easily. even as a separate csv file report or something...

but preferably as a button (similar to 'Show formulae - ctrl+' ) that temporarily removed other formatting and coloured cells by whether they were volatile (black cell with white font), or dependent on a volatile cell (dark grey…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. vlookup (and hlookup) area not mandatory and accept negative column numbers (too look in left columns - or above rows)

vlookup (and hlookup) area with only one column (or row) and accept negative column numbers (too look in left columns - or above rows) - and maybe even maintain compatibility with previous versions:
    vlookup(z14;c1:c100;-2) would return the correspondent value on colum A

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. INDEX MATCH Formula need to be planted to EXCEL as new formula which is shorter.

for better use, user use INDEX-Match function instead of VLOOKUP.

like below..

(https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Look-up-values-with-VLOOKUP-INDEX-or-MATCH-68297403-7c3c-4150-9e3c-4d348188976b?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US)

However, it is too long to type.

=INDEX("Click",MATCH("Click", "Click",0),0,1)

it is 25 times typing & 3times clicking!!

So I developed new formula using User-Defined Function.
    it is quite simple.

You can add it using Visual Basic or Attached .Xlam file.

Function TJ(ReferColumn, MatchColumn, OutputColumn)
    Dim mc As Double
    Dim i As Double
    Dim j As Integer
    i = Application.ThisCell.Row
    j = Refer
    Column.Column
    ce = Cells(i, j)
    mc = WorksheetFunction.Match(ce, MatchColumn, 0)
    TJ = WorksheetFunction.Index(Output
    Column, mc)
    End Function

I named…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. VLOOKUP function for multiple criteria

There should be a *VLOOKUPS function (or you name it) alongside VLOOKUP to find data based on multiple criteria. I know there are workarounds like INDEX and MATCH but they are unnecessarily complicated considering COUNTIFS and SUMIFS functions do a neat job at counting and adding multiple criteria. And please make it so it works with unsorted data.

370 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We’re seeing a number of different posts about lookup functions – we’ll be taking a close look at this area and thinking it through. We’ll prioritize the asks according to votes along with other requests on the site. So I encourage people to keep voting if it’s something they really want to see the priority raised on.

Best,
    John [MS XL]

10. Give us a proper NULL() worksheet function.

This would make calculations and charts treat a cell containing a formula as a blank cell, not as a cell with a text string ("") or as a zero.

743 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

98 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion – thanks again for taking the time to put it on this site and for the thoughtful followup comments. This is pretty related to some other work we’ve got going and already has a fair number of votes, so we’ll work on getting plans in place now and hope to get started on this soon.

Thanks,
    John [MS XL]

11. Bilinear interpolation: interpolating within a two dimensional table

Add a function that interpolates between both Xs and Ys to get an interpolated Z-value.

( Nice-to-have: spline-based interpolation option ).

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Add option for every cell reference contained within a merged cell is counted/added

I want to be able to use IF statements on Merged cells as the reference that work correctly.

For example, if A1:A4 is merged to=Apples I want it to recognise that A2 - A4 also = Apples so that if I try to run an IF formula like SUMIF it works properly without requiring the cells to be unmerged... Which is visually horrible and often annoying when I want to use the combined cell reference in another formula without having to specify the entire range...

Currently (using the example above) the formula =SUMIF(A1:A10,"Apples",B1:B10) would not work correctly as it would…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Highlight the suggested changes to formulae

If I miss a bracket or " out from a long formula, excel suggests a correction, which I never accept until I have checked what the change is. If the change was highlighted with a yellow background or something, this would be MUCH easier & quicker & more helpful

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. IP Address as a datatype.

I would love to see IP Addresses added as a format option and functions added for validation of the IP addresses..

For instance InSubnet(Network as IP,Netmask as Integer,address as IP) to determine if an IP is within a Subnet;

Being able to do addition/subtraction on the field would be awesome as well!

297 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Alex, and thanks to those that making their vote heard. This is a pretty interesting ask – take a look at the comment I made. I’d like us to understand a few related things. And as always, please keep voting for the things you care about most.

Cheers,
    John [MS XL]

15. solve complex equations in excel function

It would be nice if we could solve engineering non-linear equations in Microsoft excel. Solver add-on does it but its very complicated. It would be nice if there is a formula like sum, min etc...

Microsft excel team could create a function : solve(equation,variable needs to be soved, range for solution )

for eg: if I need to solve 2(x^3)+5=0
    then i would type =solve(2*(a1)^3+5==0,a1,[0 10])

The constants described above could also come from excel sheet.

I hope I made it clear. I am almost done with engineering but this function could really help young engineers :)

Thanks

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Include new functions like "countword", "nth_word(with a parameter whether to tart from beginning or end)", "rankif"

Include new functions like "countword", "nth_word(with a parameter whether to tart from beginning or end)", "rankif"
    and improve the functionality of vlookup so that it can go leftwards

we can all accomplish the idea of these by writing complex formulae but newer guys cannot and they dont have to coz you can do it on behalf of them :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Prevent formula update

It would be convenient if formulas/cells/sheets could be locked so that their formulae do not update.
    For example, I randomly generate a heatmap in one sheet, and then process the data based on user input in another sheet. I would like the map to remain constant, even as the user inputs data and the second sheet changes.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Opções de colagem em células filtradas

Acho muito falho o Excel não colar apenas em células visíveis. Quando precisamos colar uma série de valores em células filtradas, o Excel não permite. Não sei da complexidade de implementar essa funcionalidade, mas certamente será muito útil para todos os usuários.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Goal seek as a formula

Instead of having to run goal seek as a function in the data tab, you should be able to enter a Goal seek formula so that if other data was updated, a particular certain cell automatically updated to get the correct final value.
    it could run like... =GOALSEEK([Cell where a value is required], [value required]).
    It would always technically be a circular reference. You would have to make excel ignore this.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add road-distance function that gives the distance between two geographical locations

Function that gives the road distance between two geographical locations defined by lattitude and longitude,

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base