Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Count number of the data in one column which is bigger than the value of a cell in another tab

Currently, we can only make criteria in formula 'countif' or 'countifs' as a number, a comparison with a predefined value, a cell, or a word.
    It will also be helpful if we can also make the criteria as a comparison with a cell.
    For example:
    tab 1 contains a lot of dates in one column
    tab 2 contains any other dates in one column
    We can count the number of the dates which is bigger than each date in tab 2 through this function.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add a hashbytes function like in t-sql

T-SQL has a HASHBYTES function which takes two parameters, the hashing function, and some input and then returns a hash.

HASHBYTES ( '<algorithm>', input )

<algorithm>::= MD2 | MD4 | MD5 | SHA | SHA1 | SHA2256 | SHA2512

If conditional formatting highlight duplicate values blows up on long strings, at least I could use this to find duplicate hashes.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Expand Excel to introduce “Dual Cell Capability”.

The problem with Excel is that every formula is a total recalculation. You can’t add a calculated result to a previous value in a cell to come up with a new value. You have to keep all the data in the worksheet and recalculate and it keeps growing larger and larger.
    Expand Excel to introduce “Dual Cell Capability”. When required by the application, DCC would allow you to define a formula in one of the cells (just as it does now) but also carries persistent data in the other partner cell that can be recalculated and/or updated by the formula…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Change GetPivotData to read the pivot cache

A recent survey of the most evil Excel functions showed an unexpected (to me) result. Getpivotdata topped the list.
    One of the major reasons for this is that it only works off whatever Field names are visible, so that when the user changes the visible row or column fields getpivotdata stops working.
    if it read the pivotcache directly then this problem would be solved and Getpivotdata would be a lot more robust.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Automatically remove repeat numbers

Need to post rows in once excel sheet and have them Automatically remove from another sheet. IE Sheet one contains numbers and account data per row sheet 2 contains repeat numbers with no account data. Remove any rows with a repeat number based off the first cell in that row.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make 3D reference work with more functions.

My favorites would be sumif(), countif(), sumifs(), countifs(), sumproduct(), match(), and index(), and offset().

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Make a simple TIMESTAMP fucntion so you don't have to use VBA or formulas with circular references.

There doesn't seem to be a simple way to create a static time stamp that is created when data is entered and/or changed in another cell. Both methods I know require a formula which can create a circular reference, or using VBA.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add an IFERROR to VBA

An easier "IFERROR" function. If there's an error, then do something, otherwise use the original formula; shouldn't have to enter the same formula twice.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add "LeftOf" and "RightOf" text functions

Would love to see one function that returns all text from the left (or right) of a specified character. As it is now, you must know the number of chars you want to return.

LeftOf(text,string,num)
    text is the text or cell you are manipulating
    string is the char or chars you are looking for
    num is the occurrence of string from the left (1st, 2nd, etc)

A2 = "Excel is a great utility"
    LeftOf(A2," ",3) = "Excel is a"
    RightOf(A2,"a",1) = "t utility"

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. State programming

I am missing a current-state programming feature. e.g.
    If my application is in state X (state cell A2=X) at the time I key in a value (in cell B5), then cell B7 must be set to Y, and stay unchanged when the application enters another state, until I enters a new value in cell B5.
    i.e. it is the state value that - only at key-in time - controls the setting of another cell.

=STATE A2, B7 {currrent cell:= entered value}{If A2=X;B7=Y;none}

Lars W.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Built-in function version of Histogram. I made my own with formulas, but would prefer not to have to.

I constructed a histogram-calculator, so that it automatically updates, but it's curious such a function is not built-in.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Provide functions that work better with dates.

For example, have a function that actually gives the day of the week spelled out instead of a number.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow types of cells to be presented in different colors. (locked, formula, etc

Creating, editing, etc. is so much easier when categories of cells can be presented in different colors. For example, when a cell is locked it has a different color than an unlocked formula. It helps prevent accidental changes to formulas.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Max - MIN

I understand that this is a really easy function to do yourself. But I can imagine all the people feeling dumb for searching for it for a few minutes before resorting to the peasant method of typing two functions that are always put together in almost every Excel spreadsheet ever.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Can you give a bit more detail on what you’re looking for here? I’m not sure I understand from your description.

Is it the MAX of a range minus the MIN of that same range?

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

18. I would like a simple global search of a spreadsheet. One has to go to options, find a dropdown bar, click within, etc. Too many steps.

Please make a simpler global search of a entire spreadsheet (workbook) instead of the many steps needed to search beyond the worksheet. Why not radio buttons on the search box?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. New bitwise functions

The current bitwise functions are of such limited use they should be replaced. Below are some ideas for the next round of bitwise functions:

• Have arguments for word size (in bits) and signedness for every bitwise function. Exception: bitwise left shift is unaffected by signedness.
    • Add a BITNOT function.
    • Support multiple arguments for bitwise AND, OR, and XOR.
    • Possibly add bit pattern reinterpretation to the CONVERT function. For example, if I want the single-precision floating-point representation of the integer 4, I should get 0x40800000 = 1082130432.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add angles to the CONVERT function

The DEGREES and RADIANS functions can be used to convert between degrees and radians. However, there are at least 2 other ways to measure angles: gradians and turns. Please add angle support to the CONVERT function and deprecate DEGREES and RADIANS. Excel is currently worse than a scientific calculator when it comes to angle conversion choices.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base