Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Excel is wrong in calculating -x^2

If you type in for example =-6^2, Excel gives you 36. This is incorrect. Excel is assuming you mean =(-6)^2. But -6^2 is different.

You can see this when you factorise. -6^2 = (-6)*(+6) = -36.

Whereas (-6)^2 = (-6)*(-6)=36.

Now if you type in = 0-6^2, only then does it give you the correct answer of -36.

This error goes against millennia of algebraic convention.

Plot the graph y=-x^2-7x-12 and then plot y=-7x-x^2-12. These two expressions are identical, yet Excel gives very different traces (the latter of the two gives the correct graph).

Another way to correct -x^2 would…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. TRIM within IFS throws #VALUE error on strings longer than 255 chars

The use of the TRIM function within an IFS function throws a #VALUE error, if the string within TRIM is longer than 255 characters:
    e.g.:
    =IFS(TRUE;REPT("x";256))
    if you use 255 instead of 256, the function works fine. If you use REPT alone, there's no problem.
    Tested on German Excel version 1910 Build 12130.20390, monthly channel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A more efficient way to sum column

Hi there guys,

Let's say I have a simple column with numerical values (check figure A attached).

If I look at the right bottom corner of the Excel window, I'll get a quick summary of the data (average, count, sum).

Oftentimes, I'll need to use this sum elsewhere (sometimes beyond Excel). Thus, I've always wondered why there is no shortcut to simply copy the sum to clipboard.

I understand that I can use something like Autosum to calculate it quickly but I feel this would be an even faster and more efficient way. And that's sort of the point of…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Copy data from one table to another with a formula.

I am organising ammunition from a list of my ammunition into different storehouses. They must comply with many regulations and not all ammo can be stored together. I want to be able to type in a storehouse number in an end column. When this number is typed in i want the data from that row of the table to be copied into another table that represents the storehouse contents. This way i can quickly move ammo across between he storehouses without having to copy and paste each time. I experimented with an =if function, but i couldn't find a way…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. please make this appication to find he value of squaeroot of (-1) combined with equation to find the value of equation

please make this appication to find he value of squaeroot of (-1) combined with equation to find the value of equation

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. XLOOKUP to return not found value

When we are looking up the value from the list, XLOOKUP to have the ability to return the values not found from the search list, currently user filter the #NA value and paste the data

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. add an easy way of counting unique values, DISTINCT

there is no function currently to Count distinct , there are work around and compounded formulas to write. but that is what they are, work around. add a simple DISTINCT as an option to the COUNT function.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Excel Dynamic Array Formulas

Excel Dynamic Array Formulas should include optional (Sum - Count - Average) for the totals

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Flexible string to date /time conversion functions

It would be nice to have a function that can accept a string value that represents a date and/or time and an Excel date/time format expression to return the date/time value i.e.
    todate(stringvalue, format expression)
    totime(stringvalue, format expression)

For example, consider the following string values for dates stored in cell A1
    20190913 : todate(A1, "yyyymmdd")
    19-09-13 : to
    date(A1, "yy-mm-dd")
    19-Sep-13 : to_date(A1, "yy-mmm-dd")

for time
    091500 : totime(A1, "hhmmss")
    9:15 : to
    time(A1, "h:mm")

for timestamp
    20190913091500 : to_date(A1, "yyyymmddhhmmss")

The existing datevalue() fucntion only recognize "standard" date formats and can make mistake…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Improve Spill Error detection

We use Multiple spreadsheets to build an asset register. Prior to last update, we were able to simply change sheets on an open cell and select to "mimic" the data in a cell.
    With the introduction (or fine-tuning) of a the Spill formulas, now when you select the cell to "mimic", a Spill Error is given unless you know to add in the "@" before the name of the cell.
    For basic users, with limited computer/MS literacy, they may not be aware of the addition needed for the formula that previously worked to work now and this change may cause…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Payments for Good Sugestions

Does Microsoft pay its users or award prizes for forwarding good suggestions to improve on its usability. You are a billion dollar company and it is only fare that you do so. Please reply.

Regards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Append Arrays using a UNION function or {}, and Ability to use Dynamic Arrays in Tables

I would like the ability to create a union of arrays, whether it be a function or typing in a union. In the example below, I need data from columns 1 and 3 from 3 different tables:

Tables:
    data1 (2 rows, 3 cols), data2 (6 rows, 3 cols), data3 (8 rows, 3 cols)

{data1[col1],data1[col3]; data2[col1],data2[col3]; data3[col1], data3[col3]}

This would create a list of 16 rows in total from column 1 from all tables. (use commas to add column data, semicolons to add rows)

It would be a useful feature if there were matching sets of data for that were divided…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Negative coefficient for square : erreur in the excel formula

Hi,
    There is a problem in one excel formula. When you use a formula for a second order equation with a negative coefficient for the square term, excel applies the square to the cell value and the negative coefficient. The consequence is that the result is always positive and so result is wrong.
    Ex.
    =-A1^2, if A1=1,2,3 the result is 1,4,9 and not -1, -4, -9. Using parenthesis does not correct the bug =-(A1)^2 = 1, 4, 9. it is not the case if you do = 0-A1^2 (results, -1, -4,-9). Normally if you want include the negative coefficient in…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add a GPS functions and formulas

1 Compute the distance between to GPS points

2) Compute the shortest route between to points from Bing map. An application would be the route travelled for a rent a bicycle program.
    3 ) Does a GPS point fall within a defined radius of a GPS point, eg how many slippery sidewalk calls came from within one kilometer of City Hall
    4 ) Find GPS point from a street address

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Range Filter

One of the most useful functions in excel are the *IFS; like countifs, sumifs,...etc.

However, it would be great to have this syntax in all functions by dedicating a separate function that applies criteria on different ranges and returns a range that satisfies all of these conditions.

Example:-

Currently we have to do this :

=Median(if(Range1=Criteria1,if(Range2<Criteria2,if(Range3<>0,Range4,))))

Alternatively, we can have a function that looks like this:

=Median(RangeFilter(Range4,Range1,Criteria1,Range2,"<"Criteria2, Range3,<>0))

This syntax is copied from SUMIFS but it will allow us to apply it to any function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow subtotals as part of the footer

There should be an option to allow running subtotals per page in the footer/header. Right now there's no way to be able to total any column as a running total without having to manually enter the formula at the bottom of each page, and when adding/removing rows this would be moving around quite a bit.

Simple idea: Allow to select a column or range that has a total at the bottom of each page; preferably with an option to having running total or per-page total.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. easy nested formula creation

when you create nested formulas, you need to think very hard how to write the formula correctly with parenthesis but also with the data logic.
    Getting both at first shot is impossible!
    What if you put calculation step in one cell horizontally. When this is done, you have your calculation right and no syntax error.
    Select all cells with simple calculation and use my new nested formula creation. Syntax error free 100% guarranteed! Waiting for MS excel to contact me for further discussion.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Positive number in cell should have an assumed + in front of it.

If a cell has a positive number in it, we shouldn't have to enter a "+" in front of the number prior to changing the cell to a formula. Example: Cell currently has a 5 in it. To append the cells contents with "-4" I shouldn't have to enter a + in front of the 5. 5-4 should be a valid formula, just like +5+4.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Remove older Compatibility functions from IntelliSense

If all supported versions of Excel list a function under the Compatibility category, then the function should be removed from IntelliSense. This should help discourage people from developing spreadsheets for unsupported versions of Excel, and it declutters the IntelliSense list.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base