Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Highlight cells affacted by formula

When a cell contains a formula pressing F2 highlights the cells referred to in the formula. It would be nice to see those highlights by just moving to the cell i.e. not having to press F2. Numbers does that and its bloody handy.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow Data Validation List function to use the new "UNIQUE" formula

The new "UNIQUE" feature is fantastic and it would be fantastic if you could use this function to create a dynamic list in a data validation list using indirect, rather than creating a separate dynamic list using the unique function and then creating a dynamic named range for this and then using the indirect function in a data validation list.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Filter and Sortby need to be coordinated

Dynamic array functions Filter and Sortby should be coordinated.

So I want to filter and sort a list of values from a table. For example, I want the list of values Table1[ID] filtered where Table1[Date] <> "" sorted by Table1[Customer].

If you want to return all referenced values you can do SORT(FILTER(Table1[ID]:[ColZ],Table1[Date]<>""),2,1) assuming column 2 is [Customer] but if you only want Table1[ID] returned this won't work.

To use SORTBY and FILTER you have to put SORTBY inside FILTER (not consistent with SORT(FILTER ) and then for every FILTER condition you have to use the entire SORTBY reference. So this…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Stop ignoring valid comments that you don't appreciate

It's been known for years that the way Excel deals with circular references is very poor. Under certain circumstances, you pop up a warning that one or more circular references exist, but none can be found and fixed. I'd be happy to get a list of fields that contain the error. If the system rechecks and finds another circular reference, I could then dispose of them quickly and keep trying to save until I succeed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. dynamic references

Need to include calculated (and dynamic) references everywhere where appropriate:

DataValidation lists
    COntrol properties
    COnditional format influencing regions
    etc ...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. upgrade vlookup() (and hlookup()) so that you can provide the column header text instead of column number. i.e. database search - dget()

Excel has the DGET() function that allows a database search. You give the name of the column it should find the match in, and the name of the column where the value should be returned to. If vlookup can be upgraded to be similar, then it will be much more powerful:

Example:
    newVlookup(value, data range, match column, return column, match type)

newVlookup(Sheet1!A1,Sheet2!A:E,"Order Number", "Order Description", false)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. vlookup case sensitive

very simple,VLOOKUPs are case insensitive, VLOOKUPS should be case sensitive. One use case are Salesforce reports. They produce 15 character Ids that require case sensitivity functionality in order lookup against.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Add INDIRECT function as the seventh argument to XLOOKUP

When using XLOOKUP to find information on another worksheet using the worksheet TAB as a dynamic-selection via the Indirect-function, the need for this argument becomes clear. For example; XLOOKUP(@INDIRECT("'"&$J$13&"'!$C5"),INDIRECT("'"&$J$13&"'!C5:H30"). the 'Tab-Reference' is the INDIRECT("'"&$J$13&"'!) part of the function.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. About functions and shortcut keys in description below

Hi there,

There should be all functions directory tab including MS excel shortcut keys(read only/password protected by MS).Like home,insert etc.So that everyone understand the uses of functions and shortcut keys command. For convinent the excel work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Show the details of the Insert Function → Function Arguments window in IntelliSense

Typing functions directly into cells is generally faster than inserting functions using the Insert Function window. However, the Function Arguments window, which appears after you select a function in the Insert Function window, has some details that are not available through IntelliSense to those typing functions directly into the cells. These details include the description and the data type of each argument and the volatility of the return value.

For the best of both worlds, please show the description and the data type of each argument in IntelliSense. Since IntelliSense does not evaluate arguments like the Function Arguments window does,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. SUMIFS and similar work with MONTH() and YEAR()

SUMIFS(values,MONTH(daterange),MM,YEAR(daterange),YYYY)
    instead of:
    SUMIFS(values,daterange,">="&A1,daterange,"<="&EOMONTH(A1,0)),
    which seems clunky and complicated.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. the function of blinking the cell, and setting the color (under a certain condition IF)

In the MICROSOFT EXCEL program - the function of blinking the
    cell, and setting the color (under a certain condition IF)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Unambiguously state the rounding direction of rounding functions

The descriptions of many of the rounding functions use wording such as "round up" or "round down". These terms are ambiguous for negative numbers. Please instead use unambiguous wording such as "round away from 0", "round towards 0", "round towards −∞", and "round towards ∞". Below is a list of rounding functions whose description does not make the rounding direction clear.

ROUND
    MROUND
    FLOOR.MATH
    CEILING.MATH
    ODD
    EVEN
    INT

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add more aggregation functions to AGGREGATE

For the sake of completeness, AGGREGATE should support more of the aggregation functions that Excel has. The aggregation functions listed below accept only a list or lists of values and do not have additional arguments, which makes them good candidates to add to AGGREGATE.

SKEW
    SKEW.P
    KURT
    GEOMEAN
    HARMEAN
    GCD
    LCM
    MULTINOMIAL
    SUMSQ
    DEVSQ
    AVEDEV
    COUNTBLANK

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. DATEDIF formula and syntax helper in formula bar

I use the DATEDIF formula regularly for business tasks, including calculating due dates etc. I don't understand why this formula isn't more prominently offered to those who wish to use it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. When I was a financial analyst, I would have loved having a delta % function. Typing the formula is tedious.

The function could compare the base number to the new number and show the delta percent.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Conditional Formatting Bug

While selecting an area in a column and using the rule "Cell that only contains > Cell Value > less than > any specific value written (in time format) > Text Format (Select Color) > Ok", but it turns out that even if I don't put a value in any cell of that selected area in a column, it is coloured whereas the same is not the case if I select the instruction as greater than instead of less than.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. A command that searches for file locations (like for the location of a PDF) and displays the file location

I have a mail merge tool that will grab a file and attach it to an email, using the file's location. But it'd be nice for there to be a command that will search a drive and FIND that location, so I only have to save a file once

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Hi

Hi like i have entered few values in a formula & out of that one value i want to change the colour of that value so that i know this coloured values signifies me where i got that from. i can select that vales but didnt allow me to change the colour of that value.
    thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Copy data from one table to another with a formula.

I am organising ammunition from a list of my ammunition into different storehouses. They must comply with many regulations and not all ammo can be stored together. I want to be able to type in a storehouse number in an end column. When this number is typed in i want the data from that row of the table to be copied into another table that represents the storehouse contents. This way i can quickly move ammo across between he storehouses without having to copy and paste each time. I experimented with an =if function, but i couldn't find a way…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base