Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make the Evaluate Formula dialog box re-sizable

The evaluate formula box is unusable with large and/or CSE formulas. Please just make it re-sizeable. Thank you.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Formula for checking validation compliance

It'd be great to have a formula (no vba) to check that the value in a cell complies with that cell's validation rules.

Since validation can be bypassed with things like paste-to-value, it'd be useful to have a formulaic way to check on entries after they're entered.

This is also useful for validation with conditional lists. (For example when the validation list switches depending on the value of another cell.) What can happen here is that the validation list can change but there's no way to alert the user that the value in the cell, while compliant with the previous…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. when calculating the amount of days difference between specific dates, give the user an option to decide what it shows if it is a negative i

Using Today and another date, in my case a fee renewal date, to get the number of days between the dates, if it is a negative, allow the user the option of what to show instead of #NUM!, in my case I would use either Current or Renew not yet due.

My spreadsheet, using the If then function, shows Current if less then 30 days but if -ve shows #NUM!. It also shows Arrears - 30 days, arrears 60 days arrears 90 days and if a year past then it is Lapsed. This all works great except for when they…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Evaluate Formula Readability

There needs to be a huge update regarding the Evaluate Formula.
    I'm sure those using this feature are not trying to see simple calculations done.

For me, I might create a report that has a cell calculate multiple IFs within IFs that have embedded functions.

with this in mind, it would be a huge advantage to the user if the Evaluate Formula has the following upgrades:

1. able to expand the window.
    the window currently is too small and only allows to view simple calculations.

2. color code what is being calculated.
    with everything being the same color it is…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Ordinal Position Function

A function which returns ordinal position of one specific element in an array as a number. Alternative name occurrence.

So for example if the array was like this
    A1 Dave
    A2 Fred
    A3 Jim
    A4 Dave

Then Ordinal(A1:A4,A1) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurence of Dave
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A2) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurrence of Fred
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A3) would return 1 eg the 1st Occurence of Jim
    Ordinal(A1:A4,A4) would return 2 eg the 2nd Occurrence of Dave

Function Format something like
    Ordinal(lookup array, lookup cell, optional reverse)
    Lookup array could be vertical with a width of 1 column or horizontal…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Allow the use Structured References in Textbox

Enable Excel to link Text Boxes (Textboxes) to table values using Structured Table References.
    Currently, linking the textbox to a defined name that contains a structured table reference results in a "Reference isn't valid" message.

Attempting to link the textbox directly to a structured reference results in an error stating "This formula is missing a range reference or a defined name"

To reproduce this behavior:
    Set up RangeName: PC01_ID
    RangeName Formula: =Table_Progress_Chart_01[[#Totals],[Slice 2]]

Try linking a text box to: =PC01_ID

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add cell reference to Data Validation Messages (Input Message, Error Alert)

Please add the ability to use cell references or formulas in the Data Validation Messages (Input Message, Error Alert).
    This would make possible to use variable contents.

Thanks,
    Fernando Fernandes

32 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Perform Calculations (Sum, Count, If, etc.) Based on Cell Color

Allow users to create formulas and that perform specified operations with data/values from only cells with a chosen background color, from a range of cells.

For example, in a range of 10 cells (A1:A10), only 3 cells have been colored yellow (either by the user or by a specified condition). A user can create a formula, such as =SUM or =COUNT or =AVERAGE, that will only use the cells colored yellow to determine the result. All other cells in the range, regardless of background color, will be excluded from the formula's result.

Alternatively, the same functionality can be achieved based…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Anchor period during formula entry.

Upon upgrading to Excel version l 365 16.0.11328, I lost the ability to anchor formula ranges with the period key instead of the colon. Prior to this version, hitting the period would insert a colon so that I could complete a cell range. Could this functionality be added back to the "Transition Navigation Keys" option?

Having started with Lotus 123 back in the 1980's, I still use "Transition Navigation Keys." Using the period during formula entry has become second nature and is embedded in my muscle memory. Please kindly consider this for your more "seasoned" Excel users.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Create iszero function

Please create ISZERO and ISONE function.

All the spreadsheets I've ever used use flags (1's and 0's), which are comprised of complex formulas that return 1's and 0's depending on the cells referenced by the formula.

For example, in the leftmost cell of a row, I can have a formula that reads: =IF(C25>=$C$5,1,0). I then I copy this formula horizontally across 40 adjacent cells horizotnal, and depending the values of adjacent reference cells (C25, D25, E25), I will have 1's and 0's throughout the row in which I create the formula.

I then proceed to create more complex periodic formulas…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Please answer

I post yesterday. but i want to know more(why this gave wrong answer) .Please check attached excel file (in sheets("result") column "H"--> why this formula give different result ( it is not array)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. sum by color

add Sum by Color function in excel so that we can selectively add the cells of same color or background color

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Increase the source character count in Data Validation from 256 to possibly 512 or 1024, that way nested formulas can be utilized.

Increase the source character count in Data Validation from 256 to possibly 512 or 1024, that way nested formulas can be utilized for bigger worksheets that data from a lot of different tables is used.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Formula that lets you replicate the formatting of a reference cell

Excel should create a formula that would allow the user to specify a reference cell whose format you want to copy.

For example, I should be able to create a formula in cell A1 of Sheet 1 that refers to A1 of Sheet 2 such that Cell A1 of Sheet 1 will replicate the formatting of A1 on Sheet 2 [e.g. =Formatcopy(Sheet2!A1) or =Formatcopy(Sheet2!A1)*Shee2!A1] .

Alternatively, if you have a formula with multiple reference cells, it would be helpful to be able to specify a single reference cell whose formatting you would like to use. For example, if I have…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. hide columns

I would like to see an Option when you right click on a cell formula an option is added that allows you to hide all columns that aren't referenced by the formula.

For example if the cell A6 contains the formula

"=IF(AH6<1,"",MAX(0,IF(W6>0,I6+E6+D6+F6-J6),0))"

right clicking "Hide Unused Columns" would hide all columns except
    A,AH,W,I,E,D,F,J.

Once this had been done the option would change to "Unhide All Columns".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow summing a column of numbers by just entering the "=" sign then highlight the column (or row) of data to sum it.

Allow summing a column of numbers by just entering the "=" sign then highlight the column (or row) of data to sum it. Presently when you do that you the the #VALUE! response. You must either manually enter the formula or use the Greek summation icon.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Rounding Error in Excel

You have a serious rounding error issue in excel that I confirmed with your help desk they could recreate.

Go into excel and type -3 in cell B2
    In B3 type the formula =B2+0.1
    Copy the formula down to cell B36
    Cell B32 should read 0 exactly but does not 1.53E-15
    I had this rounding error turn up when creating a more complex spreadsheet and could not understand why there is an error
    if you format the cells to 30 decimal places you will see that when 0.1 is added to -1.1 the answer returned is -0.999999999999998000000000000000
    not -1.0000000000000000000000000000

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Make it easier to find errors in a large worksett with multiple tabs

I get an error message telling me there are formula errors in my worksheet. My worksheet is very large with many tabs and hundreds of formulas. If the program is able to identify an error in the worksheet, it should be able to tell me where the error is located.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add Automatic Calculation By User Entered Interval

Add an option for "Interval" or "Timed" calculation to the Calculation Options and to the File->Options->Formulas dialog.

Enable user to specify a minimum of time (in seconds (and fractions of a second e.g. 2.251234) that should pass before a workbook (or worksheet) calculation is performed.

Worksheets with longer calculation times, that receive data from external sources may

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Formula Colors

There is a red opening parenthesis and a red closing parenthesis.

Can we do some stronger highlighting instead of text color?

Maybe space out the parenthesis?

Maybe give a background color?

Maybe invert the entire formula bar to a black color, so the formula colors stand out more?

Maybe have collapsible formulas?

Maybe have a live preview?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base