Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add a Split dynamic array function

Add a dynamic array function to split apart a delimited range. See attached file for an example.

242 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

31 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. SUMCOLS and SUMROWS functions for Dynamic Arrays

Create new functions that SUM each column in a dynamic array (SUMCOLS(Ref#)) to produce a row of totals, and SUM each row to produce a column of totals (SUMROWS(Ref#))

Also COUNTCOLS, COUNTROWS, AVERAGECOLS, AVERAGEROWS, but these are less important than SUMCOLS & SUMROWS.

259 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

38 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Correção na documentação da função SOMA

Correção na documentação da função SOMA.

Correção da documentação na função SOMA, como neste exemplo anexo informa que se deve informar de 1 a 255 "números" mas que na verdade são argumentos, podendo dentro delas constar números, célula, intervalo de células, funções ou fórmulas e não somente números, para um usuário que está começando e lê isto pode, e já
    foi presenciado, inserir de forma manual números nos argumentos por não ter o conhecimento e não estar especificado de forma correta a diversas formas que pode ser aplicada.
    Como sugestão alterar o "núm1;núm2"... para arg1;arg2... e de 1 a 255…

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. SUBSTITUTES function supporting arrays of "find" and "replace" parameters

From time to time, users need to remove multiple characters from a string. For example, you might want to remove all punctuation, or all accented characters.

Right now, you have to do that with a lengthy nested formula using the SUBSTITUTE function. Such formulas are hard to read and challenging for a novice to debug. Or you could write a VBA user-defined function that performs each of the substitutions for you.

The better approach would be a SUBSTITUTES function that works like SUBSTITUTE but accepts an array (or range of cells) for the Find parameter, and possibly also for the…

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Allow UNIQUE() to operate on a rectangular range, returning all unique values

The new Dynamic Array function UNIQUE is awesome. It can return all of the unique items in a column or in a row. But it would be nice if the second argument could accept a 3 to indicate cell-by-cell.
    For example, see the screenshot below.

83 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Release XLOOKUP to the world!

Why only release to 15 percent of users?! Let the world have XLOOKUP and XMATCH now()!

192 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

67 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. "Excel found a problem with one or more formula references" - Please tell me where!

One of my least favorite messages that Excel provides is:

"Excel found a problem with one or more formula references in this worksheet. Check that the cell references, range names, defined names, and links to other workbooks in your formulas are all correct."

But I can never find the bad references. It's usually buried somewhere very deep, in a chart series formula, or in a name definition, or who knows where else.

If Excel finds a problem, please Excel, tell us where it is.

235 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

34 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Please create a FILTERJSON (FILTROJSON) worksheet function

Hi. How about creating a FILTERJSON function? It would make our life easier allowing us to get JSON data with less workarounds.

Oi. Que tal criarem uma função de planilha FILTROJSON? Tornaria a nossa vida mais fácil nos permitindo obter dados em formato JSON com menos soluções alternativas.

🇺🇸 English: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇨🇿 Czech: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇩🇰 Danish: FILTRERXML --> FILTRERJSON
    🇳🇱 Dutch: XML.FILTEREN --> JSON.FILTEREN
    🇫🇮 Finnish: SUODATA.XML --> SUODATA.JSON
    🇫🇷 French: FILTRE.XML --> FILTRE.JSON
    🇩🇪 German: XMLFILTERN --> JSONFILTERN
    🇬🇷 Greek: FILTERXML --> FILTERJSON
    🇭🇺 Hungarian: XMLSZŰRÉS --> JSONSZŰRÉS
    🇮🇹 Italian: FILTRO.XML --> FILTRO.JSON
    🇳🇴 Norwegian:…

86 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add "Header" Argument to FILTER and UNIQUE Dynamic Array Functions

I'm proposing that header argument be added to the FILTER and UNIQUE Dynamic Array Functions just like we have seen in the STOCKHISTORY function

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Corkscrew function for dynamic arrays

Corkscrew accounting is fundamental to Financial Modeling. It is where opening balances are carried over from closing balance of prior periods..

=OpeningBalance(FirstPeriodBalance, PriorBalances)

Where FirstPeriodBalance is the first period's opening balance and PriorBalances is an array of closing balances for each period.

The cell containing this function will return FirstPeriodBalance. The SPILL range will contain the n-1 closing balance array value.

https://corporatefinanceinstitute.com/resources/excel/study/corkscrew-calculation/

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Make it to where you can use cell color as a reference point

I don't know of a way to use the cell color as a reference point in a formula, i.e. =IF(A2=Color X,(B2/C2),D2) I would like this capability.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Change the Excel formula bar to the one from Power BI Desktop

Change the formula bar for advanced users as well as for beginners. better reading of functions makes work easier for everyone.
    Indent the code, view the line (s) where there is an error, quickly see the syntax of a function and a bar that adapts depending on the length of the code that is entered.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Implement / expose object orientation

Would be great to be able to manipulate values returned by Excel formulas as objects with properties.

E.g. if I create select an array of cells (=A1:C20), I'd like to be able to manipulate that array as follows
    =A1:C20().count -counts the number of items in the array
    =A1:C20().sort(index1,desc) -sorts first index of array in descending order
    =A1:C20().filter(index2,filterclause) -filters array on index2 of array on filterclause
    =A1:C20().filter(index2,filterclause)[:2] -filters array on index2 of array on filterclause, and returns/slice-returns last two columns of array
    =A1:C20()[1] -returns/slice-returns first column of array

And it would be even better to be able…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. the INDIRECT function does not work if the workbook file name has a hyphon (-) in it

the INDIRECT function does not work if the workbook file name has a hyphen (-) in it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Create Array that joins two arrays

Create a function called ArrayJoin() or ArrayConcat(), this would join two or more arrays together to make one array. This could be used on spreadsheet directly or embedded in inputs of other functions eg to dynamically organise inputs for MMULT().

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. BUG: VLOOKUP Confused by Commas in Sheet Names

VLOOKUP treats commas in sheet names as argument separators (attachments 1-3).

To troubleshoot, I replaced the single quotes delimiting the sheet's name with double quotes. At first sight, the double quotes do away with the confusion (attachment 4), but they are not accepted when attempting to enter the formula (attachment 5).

This seems to be a bug, but I couldn't find a way to report bugs for Excel. The feedback buttons in my Excel are greyed out.

EDIT: The comma used to reference a column in a table (VLOOKUP(A1,Table[[#All],[Column]],1,FALSE)) seems to not confuse VLOOKUP at all.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Outliers Function for Office 365 Excel Desktop App

I do not understand why Excel - Desktop or Web - does not have a function to identify and flag Outliers (statistical unusually high or low data values) in a column of data? Outliers in data skew any data analysis results whether we are talking about simple data visualization or more advanced regression and other modeling. For example, it could be a spreadsheet function where you enter "=Outlier" in a cell and then select range of data. Or, it could show up in the list of Excel Functions under the Formulas toolbar tab at the top of Excel. Or, it…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Date picker button for excel in offfice 365 for Windows 10 64 bit

I am so surprised that there is no Date picker function available in Excel 365. I see that this function existed and has been removed. this makes no sense to me what so ever. This is what has been pushing me away from Microsoft. This is why I have stopped using One note ( due to feature removals) and seek other options as you just cant rely on such thing.

I feel less protective of Windows/ MS at home and hence Apple and Google devices have started replacing MS specially by Kids. Surface pro 4 was highly disappointing. So now…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a CHOOSECELL function

Add a CHOOSECELL function. It should look like this: CHOOSECELL(columnletter,rownumber) and it will give you the cell you chose.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formulas and Functions  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. XLOOKUP to return the multiple match if result found

Currently we have FILTER Function which can return multiple result in a array.. but extending the Power of XLOOKUP by adding the 7th Argument to return the multiple match in array form.
    By default it should return only single value but the 7th Argument can allow us to return all the multiple match.

If you like the idea please VOTE & SHARE it to make it happen 😊

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 52 53
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base