Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Formatting Comment default

I can't SEE the comment in 9 pt font. (heck, I can't see THIS box) PLEASE let me change it !!!!

Not all your users have "young" eyes, I'm not handicapped, just very nearsighted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Annette,

As you noticed in the Mac area of UserVoice, comments use an old technology in Excel that we’re not investing directly in anymore, and instead we’re migrating comments to a new technology that will allow more control over their appearance (and things like fonts).

In the meantime, a couple of workaround options for you, that you may already be aware of:

1. You can use Windows Magnifier – click on Start > type “Magnifier”; you can then magnify parts of your screen, including comments.

2. You can zoom the Excel sheet, which will also zoom comments, and make the text larger. You can find zoom on the View ribbon, or in the lower right corner of the Excel status bar.

Hope that helps until we can get comments moved to the new platform.

Dan [MS]

2. Copy and paste

Please add an option to paste text from outside programs as plain text as the default action. Word has this feature. Currently, when I Ctrl-V after copying text from a browser window, it carries formatting into the cell. I have to right-click, select "paste as" or click on the "keep text" icon. I should be able to Ctrl-V and paste just the text into a cell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. A spread sheet for farmers to keep track of their CCA

I would like to see an excel spreadsheet set up for farmers to track their CCA class, asset descriptions, market and purchase value of equipment, trade in values etc Right now I have to try and set it all up myself. would be handy to have a sheet all set up

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Allow indirect conditional formatting to adjust when columns are inserted

Right now, if you use indirect conditional formatting, and a column is inserted between the formatted cell/column and the cell/column that drives the formatting, the indirect reference does not adjust.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

INDIRECT uses strings to generate references. There is no way for Excel to know if the strings in INDIRECT should be adjusted or not – so they never are (in regular cell formulas or CF).

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

5. I would like to see more font control, or manipulation, in Excel as we see in Microsoft.

I would like to see more font control, or manipulation, in Excel as we see in Microsoft.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please give more detail as to what you mean here. Until then, I’m declining this so you get your vote back.

Cheers,
    Dan [MS]

6. Suggestion - Automatically formatting formulas as General

May I suggest that those cells involving formulas be defaulted to the General format instead of being formatted as numbers with only 2 decimals and with a comma. Because I think it wouldn’t be as much accurate to have to automatically see only 2 decimal places in producing values from formulas.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Color Palette Customization

This would allow the user to customize the palette beyond the ten primary theme colors

Back in Excel 2003, the user could customize 56 colors, 40 for a worksheet and 16 for charts. This was replaced with themes, which only allow you to customize the top ten theme colors, and then automatically select shades.

I’m proposing to allow the user to replace those automatically selected shades with their own colors, and then save that color palette selection with the theme. This would be particularly helpful if the user has more than one color palette they use for charts, or if…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

declined  ·  Jeff Zhang (MSFT) responded

Dear Excel User

Thank you very much for your time and passion in submitting this feature request. We are doing our best to respond to suggestions that get at least 20 votes. However, we are closing ideas with fewer than 5 supporters that have had no activity for more than 60 days, with the intention of freeing up your votes. Please resubmit your idea if you think it’s super important.

Thanks,
    Microsoft Excel Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base