Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Shortcut for double clicking format painter (to lock and unlock selection).

I have the format painter selection on my quick access toolbar, and I just need to click Alt +3 to activate the format painter tool.

The issue is that whenever I want to copy a cell's format to other cells scattered through a spreadsheet, I need to keep clicking Alt +3. I end up pressing Alt +3 many thousands of times a week. (Yes - I know how to paste formats).

Solution: Have a function called "Lock Format Painter" that I can add to my quick access bar as the forth tool, so I need to just press Alt+4 whenever…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Date formating

Don't have it change the ******* date format to anything other than what I have typed into the block.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Relative Cell References for Conditional Formatting

In the the "Applies To" field for conditional formatting please allow us to use relative cell references. At present, Microsoft Excel will automatically convert any relative cell references in this field to absolute cell references. Please deeply consider fixing this and allow us to use relative cell references in this field.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Enable Notes Format

Enable Excel Notes to contain formats just like any other text box or cell. While we can control font type, bold, Italics, we cannot control background or foreground or font colors.

I suggest that Excel Notes should have the same formatting features as a text box or cell value.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Dates w/o year

I have a long list of employees with their birthdays. I don't care how old they are (i.e. the year of DOB). I only want to know when to get them a card.

I cannot simply enter MONTH and DAY to sort. If I put in their year, in it sorts by age. If I text format, I get all the April dates...then the August dates...

My workaround is to list every DOB with the year as 2016. It's annoying, but that's the only way I can sort Jan to Dec.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. At one time Excel supported the Intuit QuickBooks format *.iif. This does not work now.

We use Excel to verify verious files to be sure things are working properly in QuickBooks. The IIF format is a long standing feature for importing and exporting data and is useful for many customers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Better Cell background support

Better support for backgrounds in cells, the current system can only do a combination of 2 colours either in a gradient or a pattern. I (and I'm sure many others) would certainly much appreciate some features from MS Powerpoint eg the background pictures like the brown slightly creased paper. Alternatively 3 colour support across all MS products (3 colour gradients, patterns etc) would be equally valued (although I do appreciate it would be quite annoying to get all the current patterns and adapt them to support more than 2 colours).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Formatting Cells for Upper and Lower Case

In the "Format Cell" drop-down why not simply add under "Effects" a choice for "UPPER CASE", "lower case" and "Title Case". That way, you can set cell ranges to always be in a case format regardless of how you type in the terms. No formula needed and no additional columns or rows needed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create a simple standard button for making selected numbers negative or if negative positive. Right now I have to multiply by -1

Create a simple standard button for making selected numbers negative or if negative positive. Right now you have to multiply by -1. Why has nobody ever thought this is needed? Is it because a button might make errors in data if it was too easy to make negative/positive? Maybe a pop up asking if you are sure, unless the user checks the box to make the pop up never come up again, if they hate it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Set Default Color for Cell Backgrounds

Under Excel Options, add the ability to change the "No Fill" color for cells. This would apply to any sheet opened where existing cells do not have a fill color, effectively replacing white as the default. The chosen color would not print or display as being filled with a color, and workbooks would not display in the user's default color when sent to other users.

Individual users could change their default to allow for continued work with yellowed or grayed backgrounds (much easier on the eyes),or another color they prefer,without affecting existing fill-functionality, conditional formatting, or the experience of users…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add one option for disable automatic link generations.

Please add one option on Excel (and Word, PowerPoint...) for disable automatic link generation when Office detect one URL or email address...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Excel Conditional format - allow creator to add description of the formula

Excel Conditional format - allow creator to add description of the formula to help users understand when it is being applied. The creator and/or consumer of the spreadsheet may not understand why formats are being applied. A simple "Add description" text box for each formula would be helpful.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Numerous improvements to cell styles.

1) Allow for multiple cell styles to apply to a cell with an ordered stacking context, similar to conditional formatting. That is, for the style that is first priority in the list, all formats defined within will be applied. Subsequent styles will only apply formats that were undefined within the preceding styles. For example, style 1 applies font size of 10. Next, style 2 applies a font color of red (as this is as yet undefined) but can not override the font size. Finally, style 3 tries to update both size and color, but as both have been defined it…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. PLEASE- create feat. that individual cells can be formatted to have an "expand" feature so that if you click it shows full wrapped txt

Please create a feature that allows for individual cells to be formatted to have an "expand" feature so that if you hover over it or click it, it shows you the full wrapped text within that cell and then collapses back as you click/move away from it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please allow a cell to be split in half horizontally - so that one cell could have 2 seperate spaces in one cell.

I need to make panel schedules for breaker boxes and it would be helpful to be able to split one cell horizontally so that I could put a and b in the same cell without having to make the row wider..
    I've attached a sample to help explain

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Do not appli sharp display when number use new line format with enought wide to show all char

Do not appli sharp display when number use new line format with enough wide to show all chars

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Delete text in many cells by selecting cells and having a button to clear all text

I want to delete all text in my cells without making a new spreadsheet, as my cells are formatted to a certain size. I wish that I could select all the cells and have something that says "clear text within cell(s)" or something like that.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Selecting cells with same formatting.

Selecting cells with same formatting.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Locked cells permissions

Permission option to paste data into a locked cell when worksheet is protected. I would like to be able to paste data into a locked cell without the ability to change/alter the data after pasted. This is required to satisfy a work specification that requires the data from a digital temperature recorder unit to be protected from alteration. We use Excel to chart the data but I cannot figure out a way to protect the data once copy & pasted into excel program.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. convert a cvs file to mailing lables??

I have downloaded contacts to a cvs file. May I convert or download to a mailing label format??

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base