Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. I would like to group an Object with the worksheet or selection

I would like to group an Object with the worksheet or selection

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Enable Custom Views for Workbooks with Tables

Add the ability to use custom views even when a worksheet contains tables.

Note: This idea was posted several years ago in this forum, but has not be addressed by Microsoft.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Regresar funcion de mayúsuculas, minúsculas, tipo Frase, tipo Oración desde el menú, con las fórmulas es MUCHO MÁS LENTO QUE LIBREOFFICE

Cambiar minúsculas a mayúsculas, tipo frase y tipo oración desde el menú, como lo tenían antes, ES UNA VERDADERA MONSERGA, APRENDAN DE LIBREOFFICE.

En mis computadoras sólo uso LibreOffice, aquí porque en el trabajo tiene esta MONSERGA de excel.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Add Position to Shape Properties Panel

Add Horizontal and Vertical Positioning Parameters For All Shapes
    Powerpoint has Position Properties and so should Excel.
    See attached image for the way Powerpoint sets positioning properties.
    Adding positioning properties to shapes would permit more precise positioning.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Offer an option to allow for different locale formatting in a single workbook

My Windows regional settings are FR-CA, so Excel, very smartly, formats numbers and dates accordingly. But, at times, I have to prepare and print reports with numbers and dates formatted according to US settings.
    That gets done on a cell by cell basis, by choosing the format I need among the many choices offered by Excel. And it works, but it's very tedious.
    I wish it were possible to associate specific regional settings with a sheet within a workbook, so that numbers copied from one sheet to another got formatted (and dated) according to the (different) settings set for that…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Save formats

When I create a spreadsheet, I may place a box around a cell or bold it.When I save and reopen or send to someone, it does not maintain that format around the cell. It just goes back to normal text. It would be nice to save and send a formatted sheet to a colleague.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Reverse the way transactions are listed.

I would like to see the transactions go downward rather than up. In other words, have the most recent transaction on the top, rather than on the bottom. This would be easier to do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Set default behavior for objects moving or resizing with cells

Option to set the default properties for all objects (charts, slicers, images, etc.) so that they do not default to move and resize with cells.

Rarely do I want this function. More often I am working with charts and other objects on specific worksheets, or I want to be able to filter and/or adjust tables, without my charts and slicers being resized.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow Reordering of Chart Legends without the need to change the series order.

With two data series, the order of the legends cannot be modified if one of the data series is on the secondary Y Axis.

Although each legend on a chart can be selected, it cannot be moved or re-ordered.

If both data series are on the same axis, the legend (and series plot order) can be modified.

Excel should allow the legend values to be re-arranged independently of the order that the data series is plotted.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add "Auto" as a Font Size Option (and make 'Shrink to fit' better)

I love the Shrink-to-Fit feature in Excel, but it would be nice to be able to select "Auto" as an option in the font size drop-down. Maybe "Auto" would just act like Shrink-to-Fit, but it could be much more.

Working Example: Consider how Adobe Acrobat lets you choose "Auto" as a font size for form fields in editable pdfs. That is essentially the behavior I'm looking for in Excel.

If the Row or Column is set to Auto, then the width/height shouldn't be affected by the cells that are set to Auto size. However, if a cell is set to…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. inserting comma's in large numbers.

why is it, when we hit the comma icon in the number format bar, it not only adds the comma to break up the thousands (the desired result) but ALSO adds an unwanted two decimal places. I find this very annoying.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Center Across Selection to the Merge & Center Drop-down

Do you hate Merged Cells? Do you believe Merged Cells are evil? Do you curse every time your selection rectangle goes from one column to five columns just because you touched a merged cell? Do you constantly get workbooks from co-workers who continue to merge cells? Tired of not being able to Sort or Paste because someone merged a cell?

Excel encourages people to use Merge & Center by offering it front-and-center on the Home tab. Thus, few people discover the (superior) Center Across Selection option on the Alignment tab of the Format Cells dialog.

Currently, the Merge & Center…

519 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

82 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Ability to set the font colour to 'No Colour' or automatically set to same as background colour.

It would be handy for some conditional formatting tasks to have the text not show in some circumstances. This could either be accomplished by having the option to set the text 'colour' to transparent/no colour or to automatically set it to the same colour as the current cell background. The aim is not to hide the text per se but to improve readability of a document. For example if you have an invoice you may want to not show the text in the date column if it is the same as the date above so that it is more obvious…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Is there or can you create a version where leading zeros are kept and large numbers are not reduced?

Please make keeping leading 0's and large numbers an easy option that I dont have to go through several steps every single time I want to use this program. It is problematic at best and can not be fully trusted as it is.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add Data validation option to set number of rows to show on list

Current Data validation shows only eight options to choose from when selecting a data validation list, the user should be able to set the number so reduce scrolling though lists that have incompatible number of items to choose from.

i.e. if there were 40 items to choose from then the user could set the number at 20 or 40 for ease of access.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. A tick function instead of having to change to symbols or wingdings

A tick function instead of having to change to symbols or wingdings

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Excel Formato condicional, Nombres y algo más.

De una conversación en
    https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/msoffice/forum/all/excel-y-c/ac2c0091-caee-45b5-ba00-29592b97cb4c
    Si, algo oxidadillo.
    No programo desde los 90s, He revisado casi toda la documentación de Excel y estoy casi al día, me falta algo de tablas dinámicas, y casi todo Power Pibot (hay poca información en castellano) Voy más o menos bien en Power Query (poca información en castellano sobre funciones DAX y lenguaje M), VBA no ha cambiado demasiado, pero ha cambiado, siempre a tenido inconvenientes, que al parecer C# corrige. (problemas de seguridad por ejemplo), voy a medias en C#, no es muy distinto de VBA, la evolución a Power BI (para usuarios…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add a "literal" format

Many times excel interprets a value in a way I don't want it too. But using "Text" does not prevent it from being converted to, say, scientific notation. What we need is a format that will keep the value exactly as it is internally, with no interpretation whatsoever.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support for vertical fonts in Excel spreadsheets using Excel Online app

Currently clients are experiencing formating errors when creating a spreadsheet with vertical fonts using Excel Desktop application. When opening spreadsheet with Excel Online the vertical fonts are shown as horizontal fonts impacting on user satisfaction and experience. This is commonly an issue for customers saving a document in a SharePoint document library where the spreadsheet can be opened using Excel Online and / or the Excel desktop app. This is currently an Excel Online limitation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base