Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Stop prompting "Complex formatting that is applied... ..may take a while to display."

I have a chart with just over 4,000 data points. EVERY TIME I draw a chart, I have to click past theis dialog in order to reduce the line style from crayon size to something that looks professional.
    I have a 12-core Xeon box running at 3.5 GHz. Guess what, it *doesn't* take a while to display.
    Please add a "Never ask me this again" checkbox.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. You seriously need to make unhiding columns/rows more intuitive

You seriously need to make unhiding columns/rows more intuitive. It's currently a deep dive to find option.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make all properties of Excel/Office-Objects changeable even if Window is minimized

At least some properties of Excel/Office-objects cannot be changed when the window is minimized; see Demo.
    I didn't test all …
    I think that the window state (minimized/maximized) should make no difference whether or not properties can be updated.

Sub Demo()
    Dim lcWorksheet As Excel.Worksheet
    Workbooks.Add
    Set lcWorksheet = ActiveSheet
    ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized
    ' AddComment works when maximized
    AddComment lcWorksheet.Range("a1")
    ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized
    ' AddComment errors when minimized
    AddComment lcWorksheet.Range("a2")
    End Sub
    Sub AddComment(Cell As Excel.Range)
    Dim lcTextBox As Excel.TextBox
    With Cell.AddComment.Shape
    .TextFrame.AutoSize = True ' error when minimized
    .Fill.ForeColor.RGB = XlRgbColor.rgbLightPink ' this one works even if minimized :-)) …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Find and replace text

When i am find the text after replace, font styles are affected(changed) in the cell contents.
    Please any idea?
    Thanks.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. pastelineheigh

Why not a paste line with same height ?
    Why not a xlPasteLineHeight ?

xlPasteWidthColumn exist

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Rotate cell text or number beyond 90 degree to 180 degree(Flip vertically)

It is still limited to -90 degree or 90 degree. If it can extend to 180 degree, we can have a lot of possibilities of creating some useful thing. Not like text or number rotate using text box, formulas can apply to these 180 degree text or number which text box or word art can't.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Metric/SI prefix support for number formatting

There is (somewhat hidden) support for engineering notation as a number format (ie: the pre-defined custom number format "##0.0E+0"), but it would be extremely useful to take this a step further and allow for number formatting with SI prefixes. For example, the value 12E3 would display as "12k", 34E6 would display as "34M", 56e-3 as "56m", 78e-6 as "78μ", and so on.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Increase/decrease decimal should work regardless of the active cell

If you have a mix of text and numbers selected, then increase/decrease decimal (in the Home tab) will not work if the active cell is text, but it will work and be applied to all numbers if the active cell is a number.

This issue comes up when you have a column of all numbers except for the title at the top. Then when you select the whole column and try to increase/decrease decimal, it will fail until you activate a numerical cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Copy emails from Excel to Outlook

When I copy a column of emails from Excel and paste them into Outlook, I have to manually enter a semi-colon between each email. It should enter the semi-colon between each for me

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Shortcuts for formatting

Please make the shortcuts the same within Excel!
    Consistency is key :)
    If I want to make a part of a text in a cell superscript, I use Ctrl+Shift+P and the Alt+E to make it superscript. If I want to do the same in a text box (e.g. axis title) in a chart window, I also use Ctrl+Shift+P to get to the formatting, but now I need to press Alt+P to make it superscript.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. If Excel text boxes had half the power of Word, Excel would be a fantastic and unbeatable tool!

If Excel text boxes had half the power of Microsoft Word, Excel would be a fantastic and unbeatable tool for business presentations!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Clear Formats does not clear formatting on characters

It appears that Clear Formats only works on whole-cell formatting. Formatting on specific characters within the text of a cell is unaffected by Clear Formats, which is probably not what anyone wants.

My suggestion is to either add another clear option where character formatting is not preserved or change Clear Formats to truly clear all formatting. Which one gets implemented depends on how important the preservation is.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Bioinformatics: gene names errors

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC459209/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC459209/bin/1471-2105-5-80-1.jpg

i have recently noticed this while trying to modify a dataset in excel and importing it back into R, which throws the duplicate rowname error (e.g. sep1 and sept1 get automatically formatted into the same values).

this is a really minor nuisance because most of the work is done in R, and maybe it's better addressed by guys at R. i dunno

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Change automatic border color

Black borders are ugly and take attention away from the data in tables. I would like to be able to switch the default border color to gray, but I can’t do that either at the workbook or the sheet level. This means that I have to manually change the border color or paste formatting every time I add borders.

I’ve tried setting preferences in the Workbook and Worksheet templates in the XLStart folder, but the border preference does not stick.

This is not to be confused with the default gridline color, which can be set in the Advanced Excel option.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Formatting comments all at once

Set the default format for ALL comments instead of going through Windows-->Tools. That doesn't work!!

I have an old Excel spreadsheet and need to reformat all the Comments at once. That's only possible with a Macro, which for inexperienced users is a royal pain!! Why can't we just set the Comments without three layers of stupid menus and one at a time??!! Who's brain child was that??!!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Support formatting or rounding to user-specified number of significant figures

I work in a research organization and it's common for us to need to display values to a pre-specified number of significant figures. If you search the internet for "Excel significant figures" you will see a variety of hacks which work to varying degrees. It would be great to have built in support to display to a user-specified number of sig figs. E.g. 1234, displayed to 2 sigfigs, is 1200. Alternately, a built in function which rounds to a specified number of sigfigs would also get the job done.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. pivot table formatting

Using "grouping" of numerical data - there are no controls available for formatting the numerical ranges on the left side of the PT. I want to be able to add thousands separation (at a minimum). I would like to be able to change 0 -9999 to 0.0..k - 9.9..k, etc. Data should be pleasantly readable. Maybe some Displayed units similar to Axis formatting on charts.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Tight column fit + wrap text + row autofit = autofit to 1 line more

If you have text in a cell and apply the Wrap Text formatting and then resize the column so that one of the words is close to wrapping onto the next line, then when you autofit the row, the row's height will be as if you have 1 more line than you actually have in the cell.

For example, on a new sheet, if you type "One" (without quotes) in any cell and resize the column to 31 or 32 pixels, then the row will be 2 lines big after autofitting, but "One" still only occupies 1 line. I am…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Dot/coma problem on numeric keyboard if switch English to another language

I use few languages in excel. (Mac office 2016/ MAC)
    All languages regional settings on mac are same: decimal=[.]
    But it works OK only for US language. When i switch to another language in excel and type numbers my numeric keyboard type [,] instead of [.]

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base