Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add number formats for just hours for calculating time elapsed

When calculating time elapsed, I would like a format option for the answer to show up in just hours instead of hours and minutes. Right now, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm will result in a time elapsed of 8:30. (hours and minutes) I would like an option for it to show up as 8.5 (hours only). This will help in calculating payroll.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a new orientation in data bar (up to down, down to up)

The current model Data bars in the conditioning format allow just you decide to change the orientation left to right or right to left. Is it possible to get this data bars orientation up to down or down to up. Thank you.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Dedicated Tickmark Ribbon Financial Analysis/Auditing

Make a dedicated Ribbon that contains tick-marks used by every financial analyst as well as auditors. This Ribbon would also have the ability to document what each tick-mark represents in a "legend" of sorts. We use Excel everyday all day and I find myself searching through fonts and conditional formatting icons for the right level of them. For example, I wanted to have a conditional formatting rule that had 6 icons but i am limited to this and had to create a work around for this and ultimately we moved over to another tool that was able to customize icons.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Option to change the layout of the "titel blocking"-line

When you block the titels in an Excel sheet, Excel marks the boundaries with lines. It would be nice if you can hide those lines or if you can change the layout of these lines in oder to make them 'invisible' or to to emphasize them, depending on what the user whants

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make custom number formats available across workboooks / an application level setting

I have a preferred number format that I use in many workbooks. Each time I introduce it into a workbook, I need to re-write the format string. Excel should make it available in the custom list automatically, given how much I use it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. be more clear in your language

My idea is for Microsoft to be more clear in their boxes as to what is going to happen before you hit yes or no. I have lost near a years worth of work because they were not (luckily no thanks to them I had a backup), but please just be more clear in your wording and don't make the words in the boxes appear as if a programmer is talking to you. This is no different than the frustration people feel when doctors talk like doctors to patients. This is how Microsoft seems to write dialog boxes anymore and…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Bring back 2 formatting shortcuts that were in older versions

There are two in particular.
    1. When changing the format of the number on a chart & selecting "number" you have the option to specify the number of digits. There used to be up & down arrows to use the mouse to change the number of digits; you could keep your hand on the mouse & select the desired number of digits. Now you can only do this from the keyboard.
    2. It used to be possible to make a number of formatting changes to a curve, select a new curve, & press F4 to apply all of those formatting…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow cells to be conditionally formatted to be locked

I would like to be able to put conditional formatting on cells that allows them to be locked in certain cases, and leave them unlocked in other cases. For example, if someone selects "Yes" for an answer, leave cell B1 unlocked so they can fill it out. If they answer "No", no further info is needed so lock cell B1 (which will allow them to tab directly to the next unprotected cell in a protected worksheet). This would help eliminate confusion on what needs to be filled out and also help speed up the process of filling it out.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Can excel provide a feature where the cell formatting can be copied from multiple cells ?

Example: Cell 1 has blue color and Cell 2 has strikethrough font.

I want the 3 cell to have blue color and strikethrough font.

Can Excel build this unique feature where the user can take up the formatting conditionally and apply it to the resultant cell ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Improve Excel Profile usage options

There are many great ways that Excel likes to be helpful. Often its helpfullness gets in the of a simple task such as entering a number. If there was a method of telling Excel that I am not a mathematician and I don't need my numbers turning into logarithmic formulas when I'm simply importing a datasheet for inventory, invoices, and tracking information. I understand that turning the column into text will prevent that from happening but it also turns other useful features. Maybe what asking for is more granularity options in the way Excel autocompletes information.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow me to change/set new defaults for CSV imports

I have several CSV files each day to import into an excel spreadsheet. I need the formatting to remain the same in the cells into which they are imported. Calculations and other things are done based formulae I have set.

Every import I have to change the default from "Adjust column width" (1st screen shot) to the second screen shot.

I don't want the columns adjusted...that messes up the column label.

Please make it so I can choose "as default" to not adjust columns.

You can see screenshots here.... http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_365hp-excel/import-default-for-csv-files-id-like-to-have/ed89322d-6e6e-41f7-ae67-94c6846d2c40

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Please add a customized choice for formatting cells. None that you provide are what i want.

Excel 2013-16 - Need a choice in the number ribbon that allows us to add a custom choice to that drop down. I want a number that does not have decimal places. You dont have that choice for some reason. need to add it for us. i work with order numbers so they feed in and are too big so they show as scientific method. I need to format as a number with no decimal places. Only way to do that is Custom, 0. PLease give us flexibility. Hasnt improved in many years. nEed to add this now.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Return Freeze panes to earlier versions

I used to have no trouble navigating around frozen panes, but now I do. There are a variety of problems (fire the team leader!) but the worst is when using keyboard to move from left to right pane, the right pane moves so that its left-most cell is +1 than the right-most of the left pane. IOW, if my left pane is A-C and my right pane is showing T-AW then when I move from column C with the → key to column T I actually am moved to column D. WTF???!!! This is a lousy scrolling experience.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Cells formatted with pop-up menus

Advanced formatting of cells or entire columns to show pop-up menu on selected cell to help data entry:
    - Calendar if cell formated as date.
    - Color picker if cell formated as color indicator.
    - Horizontal or vertical quick selection menu with predefined values.
    - and more...

These would make Excel "forms" look better and also faster to fill.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Lock conditionnal formating ranges

If people copy/paste cells with conditionnal formating, the start range for apply formating change.
    You must look for the cells without formating, or re-create the formating range.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Add 'duplicate' or 'repeat' to right-click menu

To insert a copy of selected rows or columns requires: select - copy (ctrl-c) - right click - insert copied cells.

How about: select - right click - insert selection above

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Apply button for the Format Cells dialog box

This would simply be the addition of an 'Apply' button in the format cells dialog box. This way formatting changes can be viewed without having to reopen the dialog box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base