Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ribbon feature

I like the ribbon because it reduces click numbers. It would be helpful to allow multiple cell color icons on the ribbon at once. Today, I am putting a color code for each item in a list in column A of my worksheet (green = category A, red = category B). Maybe an 'expand' option in the drop down menu would allow users to temporarily expand the number of cell color icons showing at one time. This would avert the need to pull up the drop down menu each time we encounter an item from the opposite category, or the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Addition of Rows & Colums

There should be a customised option of Rows & columns. If someone wants to add a column after every 2 columns or rows. this option should be available.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Split Cells - BRING IT BACK

Bring back "Split cells" - Don't know why you ever took it away several years back, but the program stinks now without it. There are so many instances where it's needed and in order to do it, you now have to add extra cells and merge things around it. It just doesn't work. Wasn't broken before. Now it is user "Unfriendly".

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Single cell formatting

The ability to format height and width of a single cell

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Andrey

Добрый день.

При работе с файлами книги Excel 97-2003 иногда не сохраняются изменения такие как форматирование ячеек, выделение цветом и проч. 

В Excel есть встроенная возможность преобразования файла если он открыт в режиме совместимости в новый формат.

Но вопрос, каким образом можно преобразовать, допустим, в новый формат несколько файлов? Есть ли какая-либо обработка? Как это можно сделать?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. show locked cells

It would be very convenient to be able to visualize the cells that have been locked, especially to control if we don't have forgotten some, or if we don't have locked too much.
    Just a preview inconsequential on formatting cells much like the page break preview.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Don't change format after the "replace"-function has been applied. E.g. '1-2 before replace (' with ) remains 1-2 not feb. 1

Hi,
    I am working on an excel sheet with approximately 1700 entries where I need to combine two columns to one (e.g. A122 + B122 should return 1-2). Currently, I have to add an " ' " in addition to the concatenation. This results in undesirable results, as a VLOOKUP looks for '1-2, not 1-2.

Currently, this is resolved by using the replace formula (not function, ctrl+f). If Excel didn't find it funny changing my numbers to dates, this problem wouldn't have needed manual fixing by the end-user.

I suggest giving the user an option to enable or disable the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Stop formatting all numbers as dates, as users have been requesting since the 1990s

Automatic date formatting is not useful except for data entry, and it makes use of Excel for anything but the simplest processes a royal pain. Users have been requesting a way to switch this off for DECADES, but all they get in response is some unpaid "MVP" telling them how to use apostrophes.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Highlight Duplicates Based on the Occurrence

Conditional formatting that will highlight the third or fourth occurrence of a duplicate.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Please fix! Conditional formatting does not work when the cell value is based on a complex formula

Conditional formatting of cells based on their values fails when the cell value is a number calculated using complex formulas, specifically when the number is extracted from a string of text in another cell.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Paste values in filter option also

Right now excel now allow to paste as values in filter option. But we want paste as values in filter condition also.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Move Print option, it is buried in the middle of the column

move share and export up, to be under open, and put Print above close. Print is buried and i have to look for Print everytime.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Default the Borders button to 'All Borders' instead of 'Bottom Border'

When you open a new Excel document, the 'Borders' button is defaulted to 'Bottom Border'. Bottom Border is presumably not the most common used border, and to change it you have to click on the drop-down and select the border you want even time you open a new document

Personally, I don't think I've ever used Bottom Border, and by far the most common border I use is All Borders. I propose changing the default selection for this button from Bottom Border to whatever the most commonly used border type is (I would suspect All Borders, but I guess you…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Style 'Buttons' Ideass

Allowing the Styles 'Buttons' to not only change formatting but also apply custom text such as a place holder.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Colour boxes automatically

Using the word 'Lapsed' as my example.

I have a box with the word 'lapsed' and i colour it 'bad' (using the red box in the styles tab)- it would be useful if everytime i then typed the word 'lapsed' the boxes would automatically be that style

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Terminate Scientific Notation... its is inaccurate and changes long strings of numbers

I see Several requests to Remove "scientific Notation" (the equation is inaccurate FYI), but many of these requests are flagged as "Inappropriate".
    The devs need to understand people HATE this feature and ANY form of defense for it is perceived to be nothing more than contrarian pursuits. People are angry that they are paying for a product that has a BUG, THIS NOT A FEATURE, that they have to Deal with. People get annoyed and respond without accord.
    The community has asked for decades to remove this feature, why is it that Microsoft is unwilling or unable to do so?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Improved Text to Columns

Some data can only be found in a single string e.g. "Bob House SUV Susan Apartment Coupe Jeff Apartment SUV". There is currently no easy way (that I could find) to paste this in as a table.

The current functionality of text to column only allows for each of these to become their own column e.g.
    Bob| House| SUV| Susan| Apartment| Coupe| Jeff| Apartment| SUV

My suggestion is to be able to seperate out rows as well in the case where each row would have an equal number of columns. The example above would therefore become:
    Bob | house |…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.

Make it possible to insert pictures behind cells.
    Currntly its only possible if you set a background. But this implicates to have the background behind the complete sheet.
    Many Users want to have the feature to paste a picture in a sheet, format the size a.s.o. and have the ability to set it to the background.

Currently if you set such a picture to the background its just related to other pictures but not behind cells. It would be great to have the ability to set it behind cells so that content within the cells is shown above the picture.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. In editing Excel charts and upon naming a chart, I suggest Excel save the title when this element is de-selected and then re-selected.

In editing Excel charts and upon naming a chart, I suggest Excel save the title when this element is de-selected and then re-selected. The current and standing shortcoming of the Excel app appears when editing elements of a new chart (via the + tab just right of the chart). If users activate/select "chart title" and create a custom name, users will lose the chart title if de-selecting "chart title" in the elements tab.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base