Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve the Conditional Formatting Manager

So that we can easily manage conditional formatting. While we're at it, the way conditional formatting is treated when cutting / copying and pasting etc could be reconsidered.

[Following examples added by Dan [MS] for clarity on 10/20/2015]
    * name rules
    * add a comment to rules
    * more easily see what rules apply to what range
    * see which rules can be consolidated b/c they are similar
    * etc.

358 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

70 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the suggestion Levi! We’ll be taking a look at this along with some other asks around conditional formatting. It’s a big help to see the things with the most votes, particularly within areas like formatting. So please keep the votes coming for things you want us to do sooner!

Thanks,
    John [MS XL]

2. Percentage Point Formatting

It's very common to express a decimal as percentage points.

For example Growth last year was 10%. This year is 15%. The change is 5 percentage points, but saying growth increased by 5% would be confusing (5% increase of 10% is 10.5%)

It would be nice to able to format the value to appear as 5 without having to multiply the true decimal value by 100. Alternatively if I could get the effect of using a "%" sign in the number formatting string without having "%" appear in the cell, that would work as well.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add imperial measurement notation. 1 field with feet and inches. Abillity to recognize input format and convert to chosen display format

I want to formata cell as a certain measurement system, feet and inches, millimeters, meters, inches only, feet only, miles etc .
    The field should be smart enough to recognize the input and convert to the display format.

If i choose to display in feet only and I input 2'6" it should show as 2.5'

Cad programs make these conversions routinely.

When using in a formula one would need to specify the format used for calculations regardless of the display format. This would make formulas for load calculations universal.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. keep row with next

Bonjour Luc,
    I would like make a suggestion:

As in Word, add in Excel the feature "keep with next" (for a row or a column), to prevent the automatic page break separates two rows or columns.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add 7 more border linestyles in the conditional formatting

Currently only 7 border linestyles are possible in the conditional formatting cell properties, which is very reduced. A lot of the borderlines are missing in the conditional formatting cell properties. It should be in total 14 border linestyles, see the cell properties with the normal text.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Is it possible to have red arrow goes up and green arrow goes down for conditional formatting ?

In the options of the conditional formatting, you can select arrows. The red arrow goes down and the green arrow goes up. Is it possible to have the color in the other way round red goes up and green goes down ?

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add borders with curved edges

Add cell borders that have curved corners.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Dynamic headers/footers

Add functionality to allow users to create dynamic/formula-driven headers and footers.

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. auto increase/decrease decimal

HI we need excel to be able to handle auto decimal places to the next zero. For example if we have formatted data to the whole penny but sometimes want to include half a penny, then we have to manually change it for all cells. Shouldnt this be automated by now?

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Custom chart Styles / chart Template button

In older versions of Excel (pre 2010), a button was conveniently located on the ribbon bar which would allow the end user to quickly create a chart template / style from a existing formatted chart that could be used to quickly apply formatting to new charts. In recent versions of excel, this button was relocated and can only be found by right-clicking on the chart its self which is not intuitive nor easy to locate. An improvement would be to provide the means to create customized chart style / format sets which could be created & selected like any other…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Good feedback. We’ll consider this for a future release.

Thanks,
    Scott [MSFT]

11. Suggestions for hiding/unhiding rows/columns

We the professionals usually while Analyzing the data hide many a columns/rows and also wants quickly unhide those columns/rows when the work is done.

Current excel features does not have an option to unhide ALL columns/rows at a single go and we have to unhide each row/column individually which consumes cum wastes a lot time.

You must provide a feature that unhide all hidden rows/columns in a single command.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Export fillable form to PDF

To export a spreadsheet to PDF as a fillable form, specify which cells should be fillable in the PDF and what type of content is accepted in each cell. Then use Excel's built-in Export to PDF tool to create a fillable form.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Modernize conditional formatting formula editing.

As of 2013, it conditional formatting formula editing is still inconsistent with the regular application, and makes it harder for users to learn conditional formatting, which is one of the more abstract concepts of the early Excel learning process.

Arrow keys are still modifying formulas rather than moving the cursor, for example.

220 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Great suggestion, thanks David! And thanks to other people who took the time to clarify/comment on this one. There’s definitely room to tighten this experience up in a number of places. We’re getting a lot of traffic on the site, so please keep voting for the things you care about most to help us do a great job of prioritizing.

Best,
    John [MS XL]

14. have a setting for number of significant figures rather than just for number of numbers to the right of the decimal

Currently, format can be set for the number of digits to the right of the decimal. Chemical data can vary over several orders of magnitude for a single parameter, but only 2 or 3 digits are valid as significant figures. Therefore, it would be handy to be able to format cells to show a specific number of significant figures. For example, 0.094686 has 6 digits to the right of the decimal, but if the analysis only has two significant figures, the posted value should be 0.095.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Improve merging of conditional formatting

When cells are moved within a conditionally formatted range, the rules are duplicated for the destination cells making management of the conditional formats more difficult.

To illustrate the problem, run this macro which conditionally formats a range of cells, copies column C and inserts before column G. Then Home > Conditional Formatting > Manage Rules > for This Worksheet. The rule has been duplicated for the new column F rather than being merged with the original rule which now applies to a 2-area range. This makes changing the rule for the entire range subsequently more difficult and error prone.

Sub…

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Grammar Check in Excel

I have been using excel from ages and i have wondered this for a long time.
    For the past almost a decade the kind of work we do on excel has exemplified. There are millions of occassions where we use excel with lot of texts, even paragraphs are written in excel sheets.
    A grammar check like in MS word would do a world of good for the excel users.
    Will be a new added feature.

Thanks
    Gururaaj Dhanks
    gururaaj.dhanks@gmail.com

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Insert Equations Into Cell instead of as floating object

Allow the math equation objects created by "Insert->Equations" to be embedded in a single cell, rather than just a floating object. I would like to use nicely formatted equations as row or column headers and to describe the data or calculations nearby. As a floating object, they lose relative positioning as cell height or width are changed. If embedded in a cell, I would expect the fit to width or height commands to adjust to fit the equation.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Stop prompting "Complex formatting that is applied... ..may take a while to display."

I have a chart with just over 4,000 data points. EVERY TIME I draw a chart, I have to click past theis dialog in order to reduce the line style from crayon size to something that looks professional.
    I have a 12-core Xeon box running at 3.5 GHz. Guess what, it doesn't take a while to display.
    Please add a "Never ask me this again" checkbox.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Allow custom icon sets for conditional formatting

At the moment, the build-in icon sets can't be modified. One common problem is the need for a green down arrow / red up arrow.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. I would like a new Format cell choice - Number without any decimal places

I pull in data to Excel and i need to format several columns as numbers. Every single time i format as Number, it then bumps the decimal places out 2 places and every single time i have to change that to zero. It is a pain. Dont want the decimal places. Can you make a new format, NUMBER and no decimal places? NO use for these decimal places and it creates extra work for me every single time.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base