Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. date picker

we can use date picker control to select the dates

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. EXCEL

I went need excel

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. set Table design so that it doesn't refresh to green when ever there is a change in the power query

When a power query is "Closed & Loaded" it defaults to a green format. Once I change the format of the table if I ever change the query to add a field or anything else then it resets my work or the format chosen back to the green format.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Custom Format Cells - Add ability to Format Like Sample

In the year 2019 there MUST be a better way to create custom cell formats in Excel.
    Please add the ability to create a custom number format based on cell contents. The Sample shown could be used as the template source.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Cell Color

Add a keyboard shortcut to color selected cell. The typically used command Alt+H+H+N takes too much time

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Retain text formatting after changing formula references inside shapes/textboxes

This has been a bug (in my mind) forever. For some reason, if you have an Excel shape nicely formatted and you go to link it to a cell to make the text dynamic, all the text formatting gets reset. This is really extremely annoying if you are creating a visually stimulating dashboard and want to duplicate a bunch of perfectly formatted shapes. Proceeding to link the shapes to various cells so that they display your data completely resets the formatting.

I created a VBA workaround to make it seem like the text format is retained, but this functionality should…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Copying format - option to exclude or choose conditional formatting

No option to copy conditional format only, other formats are also included. And when locking cells to avoid conditional formats to be edited, other formatting is affected as well. Hope this can be solved.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Having the option to format folders (colours and size)

It would be great it we could have the option of formatting folders (colours and size). So when we right click on a folder we can format it

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Formulas to prep CF material for the CF'ing

Often one cannot use Conditional Formatting (CF) without compromising the underlying data/worksheet.

For example, one might have dates that need formatted some special way (an example on a tip site recently, someone wanted "SU 10/20") that cannot be done without the changing of the underlying numerical material to text requiring its changing back before other use of it. Additionally, if it is already in use by other parts of that, or another, spreadsheet, it would be a nightmare to change. You'd need an "offshoot" mirror of things that had the changes, however well, or badly, that might fit into things.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Link cell formatting.....Change the borders and color in one cell, the same happens to the linked cell

Change the borders and color in one cell, the same happens to the linked cell. Imagine when you have twenty tables and you need to change the color of that single row in the table and you have to do that twenty times....

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. “Ползунок” Прокрутки с правой стороны и снизу - сделать масштабируемый и многоцветный!

“Ползунок” Прокрутки с правой стороны и снизу - сделать масштабируемый и многоцветный!
    На самом “ползунке” разместить Кнопку - при нажатии = открывается мини окно
    = тут меню ВЫБОР Размера ширины ползунка, = и ВЫБОР Цветности ползунка !!!
    +Размер = Стандарт (по умолчанию), Средний, Крупный.
    +Цветовая гамма, - например 5-10 видов, разного цвета.
    Проблема= “ползунок” справа и снизу = очень узенький!!! и очень тусклый!!!
    При частом пользовании = большая боль!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Conditional Formatting

Conditional Formatting is difficult to work with...when using the conditional formatting rules editor, there is no way to scroll through a long list of fields...using the arrow keys creates chaos and adds new fields.

Also, the dialog box are not resizable, greatly increasing the difficulty or using this feature. The cells cannot be resized either

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow for Formatting to function

I have a great Idea! Make the formatting function!

So many times data has embedded formatting that requires pages and pages of work-arounds to get it to be not screwed up. Take importing phone numbers, or any data of a long length, like an account number. Excel automatically makes this data unreadable and basically unusable as a right of passage.

Now instinct would say simply go to formatting and change the format to whatever it is... NO No No not so fast, that is because formatting doesn't work like. It basically doesn't work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Layout & appearance

Why can't the column widths be adjusted row by row. Layouts would be easier to manage. Note the problem with the city st zip which I want in separate cells. It can't be done with acceptable spacing.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Want ability to change default font for comments

I want to be able to change the default font for comments in Excel (Office Profession Pro 2016 with Windows 10). I can't read the 9-point Tahoma Bold font that is the current default so I constantly have to change the font format when inserting a new comment.

Most of the postings that appeared here (722 in my case) are asking for this feature, but in different ways. Either it's not possible, or the information is tucked someplace where no one can find it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Want ability to change default font for comments

I want to be able to change the default font for comments in Excel (Office Profession Pro 2016 with Windows 10). I can't read the 9-point Tahoma Bold font that is the current default so I constantly have to change the font format when inserting a new comment.

Most of the postings that appeared here (722 in my case) are asking for this feature, but in different ways. Either it's not possible, or the information is tucked someplace where no one can find it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Automatizar que los temas de Office se adjunten al libro

Se trata de que al enviar un libro Excel por correo a un destinatario de fuera de nuestra organización vaya incluido el tema para que no cambie ni la tipografía ni los colores del mismo.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. When using "Index()" function, return the formatting of the matched cell along with the value

When you use the "Index" function it returns a value but it would be very useful to be able to return the format of the cell that is matched too.

So, for example: If I look up a risk in a table (see attached file) then I get the value as "High", "Medium", "Low" and then based on that I have to create a conditional format whereas if the cell that I am referring to already has a format then I could just use it.

A bonus would be changing the colours would only have to be done in one…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base