Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a cell format for CUSIPs

Given the ubiquitous use of Excel among Finance professionals, it is a pain to type in CUSIPs (9 digit unique identifiers of securities), as if the security has an "E" as the 2nd or 3rd last character (which is more often than you think), it automatically converts to scientific notation. If Excel could add a special "CUSIP" format where this didn't happen, that'd be a game changer for an entire industry

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Create a transparent text colour

So you can maintain formulas in cells you maybe don't want shown (onto power point for example) without having to colour the background and text the same colour.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Needed to fix copy paste the tables from excel to outlook

Copying from excel to Outlook (or any other app) should keep the content and format, borders, alignment of the cells. It takes so much time to adjust everything after pasting data into an Outlook e-mail, for example...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. have an 'A' number formatting option as adding machines do, so don't have to enter '.' all the time.

know excel was to be scientific, but bet it is used in 'financial' spreadsheets more than inventors could have envisioned.
    'A' on adding machine, means 12 equals 12.00 saves 3 keys

12.1               12.10  saves 1 key

1210 12.10 saves 1 key
    12.10 12.10 saves 0 keys

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Can you please give the users freedom to change icon colors while using conditional formatting. This is cruel to not give format icon set op

Can you please give the users freedom to change icon colors while using conditional formatting. This is cruel to not give format icon set option

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Fill Color

Sometimes when reconciling spreadsheets i use multiple colors to keep changes, numbers, edits, separated. Every time i need to change the color of my "fill color" it is really frustrating to go to the fill icon, chose the drop down menu, find the exact color i was using just to have to do it all over again the next time i need the "other" color. It would be nice to be able to add multiple "fill color" icons to my tool ribbon that way i can just click the color i need quickly and go back and forth between colors…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Excel needs an easy to add/easy to use Checkbox.

Please add an easy to add/easy to use checkbox to Excel. Add a checkbox to one or multiple cells with the click of a button. Click the checkbox to check off an item when needed. My organization just switched to Office, and I'm trying to encourage our group to use more of the integrated Office tools, like Excel. We relied heavily on Google Sheets in the past. An easy add/easy to use checkbox would help. Thank you.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Please fix conditional formatting!!

I create Conditional Formatting on whole columns. I should be able to insert, delete, blank within my range without Conditional Formatting breaking up into formatted sections which eventually causes some rows not to format correctly. I am constantly correcting the Conditional Formatting which is very time-consuming! It is such a handy tool but very frustrating tool to work with.

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Formatting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add horizontal alignment to the Excel 2019 ‘Format Axis’ text options (‘Text Box’)

When one creates a horizontal bar chart from a data table, there are limited options to format the axis text box. One would think that by highlighting the label area text box and clicking on the alignment options, one could left-justify the text … nothing seems to work.

I verified with Microsoft (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/questions/59141/excel-2019-hw-does-one-left-justify-the-text-in-an.html) that only a default behavior is possible.

Specifically, please add the ability to left-justify (or right-justify) the text. The default Excel behavior vs. the desired Excel formatting option is illustrated in the URL above (and in the attached document).

In searching the various forums for…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. An option to convert workbook into csv files without loss of data

It is difficult for users to manually convert each sheet of a workbook to csv file. So an in built option to do the same helps us a lot

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Double Strikethrough option in Excel

Why is there no Double Strikethrough option in Excel as it is there in Word. Pls make this option in Excel too

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. bug on conditional formatting, It gets applied to areas I have not designated

After applying conditional formatting when entering data conditional formatting will get applied to areas that I have not designated. This is an time consuming issue that requires me to apply the formatting after I enter data.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Provide additional text formatting options.

For cells formatted as Text, I would like to be able to specify text formatting similar to the options provided by the "Change case" function in Word (e.g. Sentence case, lower case, upper case, or capitalize each word).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please provide an easy way to specify the total width of a range of columns

It would be helpful to be able to set a fixed width for a selected range of columns. I would like to be able to select the columns that I intend to use and specify the total width for those columns so that they fit within the page margins. A "Fit to Page" option to make the total width of the selected columns always be equal to the width between the margins would really be nice and that would be most useful to me, but if possible I think it would sometimes be useful to be able to set a…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Use the Percentage Style when the sum or subtraction of ALL the inputs are in percentage format

The result of = 1 + 5% should be formatted as 1.05. Factors of this type are more easily interpreted without the percentage formatting. Note that 5% may mean a reference to a cell formatted as a percentage. Therefore, automatic percentage formatting should apply where the sum or subtraction where all the terms in a formula are formatted as percentages.

The ratio of one percentage to another should not be automatically formatted as a percentage, or, at least, it should be possible to revert the automatic formatting.

The ISO standards (as well as the German, Spanish, French, Swedish, Finnish... standards)…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Give us a "Center Across Selection" option for the Vertical text alignment

Re-open https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10802853-give-us-a-center-across-selection-option-for-the.

"Center Across Selection" is available for Horizontal text alignment but not for Vertical text alignment.

This would be useful for heading columns where the text is rotated through 90 degrees and spans more than one row.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Use Defined Name in Custom Format String

I need to use a base currency and selling currency on a spreadsheet. If a defined name can be used as formatting string (e.g. "[$₿-x-xbt2] #,##0.000000" for Bitcoin). You can specify your Base Currency and Selling Currency formatting strings as a defined names.

If your base or selling currency changes for the spreadsheet, you can then change the defined names, thus changing the format.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Conditional formats that are locked and do not change when copy/ cut and paste actions are performed.

Today I have conditional formats with formula. A copy and past action which is done often, will mess up the formatting. It tries to compensate for the change. However, it is rare that it gets the change correct. Instead the conditional formats double, triple or have errors in them. I want to have the ability to set a conditional format and have it static and not change until I decide to change it. e.g. =AND($E9<>0,$E10=0) with applies to: =$B:$I,$K:$M

When I copy and paste (and any type of paste) the formula and cells affected are changed so that the format…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Being able to design forms and link them to the spreadsheet to create job sheets

I would like to be able to design a form which I can link to the spreadsheet in order to create a jobsheet.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base