Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. removing sexist algorithms

Please can you allow "Mrs. and Mr." to be written in excel without excel autocorrecting to "Mrs. And Mr." because the traditional rules state that the man is first. I am writing letters to donors and I always put the donor in the first position and the associated donor in the second. Excel only auto capitalizes the "and" when it is in the Mrs. and Mr. position. This is a pain that it was written into the algorithm. And sexist. Thanks.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You are able to set the rules for when Office should not change the first letter of a sentence to a capital. You can add to the list of abbreviations which should behave as exceptions to the option “Capitalize first letter of sentences”.

Add “Mrs.” to the list of exceptions by these steps:
      1. In Word, type “Mrs. and Mr.” and after it capitalizes “And”, backspace and fix it so that it’s lowercase “and”. This will add “Mrs.” as an exception so that the next word you type will no longer by capitalized.
      2. Quit Word and restart Excel.

or
      1. In Excel or Word, go to File > Options > Proofing > AutoCorrect Options… > Exceptions.
      2. Type “mrs.” in the text field and click “Add”.
      3. Click Ok, Ok, Ok.

• Allow single spreadsheet to be opened in multiple windows

My suggestion is to allow a single workbook to be opened in multiple windows. For example, I have a spreadsheet with two tabs. Formulas on one tab reference cells on a the other tab. If I were able to open each tab simultaneously in its own window, I would be able to much more easily and quickly edit and troubleshoot a spreadsheet. This would be especially useful if one were using two or more monitors.

3 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

already supported  ·  0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • New Shortcut to copy the content from previous cell (in the same row)

For a long time we have Ctrl+d to copy the content from previous cell from the same column, it would be great if we have a similar key to copy the content from the previous cell in the same row

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Protect some cells so that it dosn't accidently change by typing

Some cells contain data that are final and should not change by accidently pressing a key, for example student's marks in exam.
          after entering such data I would like to be able to protect some cells, and I can unprotect later if I want. like in drawing applications you can lock a shape or layer

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • In Excel, when I had to change a word or a number, at the top of the sheet, I could do it, now I have to retype everything in the cell

Fix Excel, so when you have to change a word, number or sentence within a cell you can do it without retyping all the information in the cell. I used to be able to do it, but it is no longer possible.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

This is still possible.

1. Select the cell
              2. Select the part of the content you want to change in the formula bar (above the grid)
              3. Change that part of the content and hit

Hope that helps,
              Dan [MS]

• Smart Selecting

Excel needs to have a smart select feature. Select All (CTRL-A) should only select rows/columns that have data instead of the entire sheet (through column ZZ?)

An example of a tasks I am doing. I have say 14 columns of data with 300 rows. I want to be able to select all of those columns and rows to convert them to a table. Select-A would be ideal; however, doing so, selects the entire sheet which therefore converts the entire sheet entire a table (takes a long time to do so). This process warns the individual prior to but would be…

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

This is already supported if selection is in a range of data (within the larger sheet). Ctrl+A will select the continuous range of data the first time you press it, and then if you press it again, it will select the entire sheet.

Cheers,
                Dan [MS]

• 1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please provide a delete special option which enables users to delete only the formats,values,formula or validation.

Just like the paste special option which enables users to paste the values formula or formats, A delete option for all individual aspects will be really helpful.For example:-If a user just wants to delete a value but not the formula he has to delete the whole thing and retype it again.So this feature can enable them to delete only the aspect they want

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi Praveen,

This functionality already exists in Excel (but a bit hidden). To take advantage of it, you can:

1. Select the range you want to delete an aspect of
                    2. On the Home Ribbon > in the Editing chunk (right side of the ribbon) > Clear drop down, choose what it is that you want to clear.

Hope that helps,
                    Dan [MS]

• paste as text

excel is missing one important function: PASTE AS TEXT...

for various reasons pasting with excel intelligent guessing the type of data in the pasted cells do not work well, although there is no error in that (doing unexpected conversions of pasted data)...

what I need is the functionality to say to excel: paste all data as text into appropriate cells (and I will later edit it and correct and convert data)

also, convert-text-to-columns should have that functionality... yes, I am aware that I can use that functionality at the column level, but I would also like to be able to…

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is already supported, if I understand what you’re looking for. Look for Paste Special > Values (if you copied from Excel) or Paste as Text (if you copied from another app).

Cheers,
                      Dan [MS]

• Circular Errors

I had to look all over the worksheet headers to find an option that would show the cell being questioned. You get this error when you are about to save and leave a worksheet. I do not usually have time to go hunting for it at that point. Need a quicker way to identify the specific problem cell.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,

This is already supported in Excel.

Go to the Formulas tab, Error Checking, Circular References. You’ll get a list of cells involved in circular references.

Cheers,
                        Dan [MS]

• Use Office standard of Ctr+Shift+C/V to cut & paste cell style

Many Office apps allow you to select text style with a Ctrl+Shift+C, and paste it with Ctrl+Shift+V. Implementing this in Excel for the Format Painter would eliminate a relatively slow mouse-heavy operation.

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

Excel already supports this. Simply Ctrl+C to copy the format you want, and then Ctrl+Alt+V, T to paste formatting. (That’s Past Special > Formats)

Cheers,
                          Dan [MS]

• Move command - the ability to select a row or column and insert it automitacally. If anyone remembers Visacalc or SuperCalc, they had this

Move command - the ability to select a row or column and insert it automitacaly. If anyone remembers Visacalc or SuperCalc, they had this

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

It is already supported to cut > paste, or drag-to-move a range of cells within a spreadhsheet.

Maybe a bit more detail would let us know if this is a new idea that you have!

Cheers,
                            Dan [MS]

• The replace function has been put into the background where it is harder to locate. Office 2000 was much better.

Make the replace option much more readily available.(i.e. as a visible option)

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• 2 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base