Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Diagonal Transposing

When trying to paste diagonally, I've run into a road block. To my understanding, you can do this through VBA or Macro, but there is no clear cut solution in Excel basic other than pasting formulas one cell at a time. This is an issue I run into specifically when creating amortization tables. I understand that there are amortization table templates, but I believe my employer would feel most comfortable if I were able to create tables myself. I would recommend creating an option in the special paste window. (Alt + E + S + T + ? )

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. كيفية عمل فرز وتصفية لاكثر من شيت بملف الاكسل

كيفية عمل فرز وتصفية لاكثر من شيت بملف الاكسل

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. HELP!!! please bring back copy insert cells keyboard shortcut (Alt+i+e) (not empy line)

HELP!!! please bring back copy insert cells keyboard shortcut (Alt+i+e menu shortcut from previous version of Excel)
    Changed to insert blank lines since latest update of office (June 2018). I use this ALL THE TIME...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Cancel Replace Text ํ to text

I want to replace ํ to ตุ in excel to write ตุํ

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. I want to Add setting Type And Replace with Use Sequence Checking in Excel.

I want to write ตุํ in excel but excel can write ตุ or ตํ . Are you can help me?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Let us not fill a new row or column with clipboard data by default!

Whenever I copy something on to the clipboard and then try to insert a new row or column using the keyboard shortcuts, by default Excel copies clipboard content to the entire new row or column. This is definitely not a required feature and it is very rare that someone would want to fill a new row or column with some text. And it affects the performance of excel many a time.

Hence, please make the default option for keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+Plus) as insert a new row and if at all someone want to fill a new row or column with…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Reorder columns easily

There should be an easy way to grab a column or multiple and drag them to another spot. For example, if you select columns D & E you could then drag and drop them before column B (then they would become columns B & C). Right now you have to make 2 new columns, then copy over, very tedious. The same suggestions for rows of course.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Make Excel great again. Make a toggle button to disable the persistent clipboard feature.

Make Excel great again. Make a toggle button to disable the persistent clipboard feature.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Excel window display should keep selected cells in view after removing filter.

When a filter is removed, by checking Select All, the position of the window cursor should not change. Currently selected cells should remain in view, especially if only one cell or row is selected.

Often, the cursor returns to the top of the spreadsheet, requiring a painful scroll or search to find the currently selected cell. Smarter window management is needed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. WHEN WILL YOU REPAIR THE CLIPBOARD PROBELM IN EXCEL???

WHEN WILL YOU REPAIR THE CLIPBOARD PROBELM IN EXCEL???

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. cells to copy and paste, once pasted, original cells should un-highlight.

When I select a cell to copy the contents for pasting elsewhere, and then paste the info into the new cell; the selected cell remains highlighted with those circulating green lines regardless of where I click next. Please can we get an option to turn off the green lines after pasting.

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Merge cells vertically

Please add an option to merge selected cells in the same column (similar to Merge Across).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Remove the pointless message “There's a problem with the clipboard, but you can still paste your content within this workbook."

The message shows up if you run in the background a program that keeps a peek into the clipboard, as for example the "Skype web plugin" and other telephone programs. A possible cause can also be the software "Audials".

You can find a thread with lots of complaints and a few flimsy justifications and non-answers here:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_excel-mso_win10/clipboard-problem-in-excel-2016/224b2a59-8a0c-4897-baba-a481dd06e085

The message shows up with Ctrl+C, Ctrl+X, using the Format Painter and only taking whole cells. It does not show up if you copy a part of a cell content.

Contrary to some Microsoft officials’ posts, the error message shows up multiple times…

121 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

91 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Make "Paste and Merge Conditional Formatting" the Default Paste Behavior

When using Paste or Insert Copied Cells, conditional formatting rules should be merged by default. The paste behavior is currently inconsistent. For example, if you copy/paste a single cell, then rules are merged, but if you copy/paste multiple cells, then rules can become fractured or split (meaning that duplicate rules are created for the newly pasted cells).

There is already a precedent set for using merged conditional formatting as the default paste behavior: Google Sheets has been working this way for a long time and it works well.

Fractured or Split CF rules can be a serious problem. Consider the…

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Multiple Currency options

Excel uses a default currency, based on your home location. It is a big hassle to find and change the symbol in a spread sheet where multiple currencies in play. It would be very useful if there was quick access to the most recent 5 or 6 currencies used.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Ctrl+A to select all in formula bar

Allow selecting all the text with Ctrl+A in a cell, formula bar, or anywhere that cell references are edited (like Conditional Formatting, Named Ranges, Data Validation).

In addition, allow Ctrl+Backspace in the same places. Ctrl+arrow key already works to skip between words.

This was brought up last year and an MS rep incorrectly marked it "already supported" and closed it for voting. https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10555113-ctrl-a-just-like-any-other-win-app

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Make the default search criteria persist between Excel uses

How about you make the default search criteria persist between Excel uses (so that you can search by Value instead of by formula)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? T

HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Insert multiple rows in excel

If I want to insert a row in excel sheet, I right click the row header menu to insert one row. Why not have option to say insert "n" number of rows.

It's a pain to insert multiple rows manually !

Please think about it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? T

HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 28 29
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base