Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY?

HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/20324245-may-2017-update-which-keeps-the-copied-item-active

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Delete comments option is gone for multiple cells. Bring it the **** back you pukes

Delete comments option is gone for multiple cells. Bring it the **** back you pukes

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Data Validation doesn't work for autofilled data

E.g. if I have List validation with Int16, Int32 and so on for a Range, and have Int16 in some cell in the Range, I can fill down Int17, Int18 and so on. So Data validation Rules are ignored for fill down operation.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Sizing Handle for Data Validation set-up box

When entering a long formula into the dialogue box for Data Validation, navigation along the formula string is difficult (impossible?) because there is no handle to allow the box to be stretched wider or higher.

Allowing the text to wrap would help but both movements would be best.

I have used an IF statement with several arguments and need to check the logic in a separate cell and then copy the string into the Dialogue box.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Being able to paste in visible cells only and not pasting my data in my hidden cells.

Being able copy and paste in visible cells only and not pasting my data in my hidden cells.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Still have to hit escape to deselect a copied cell. ********. FIX it.

Still have to hit escape to deselect a copied cell. ********. FIX it.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. More Options in Context Menu for Insert (e.g. Copy Formulas)

When you are editing a table and right-click on a cell, the context menu gives you additional options for Insert, including "Table Rows Above" and "Table Columns to the Left". If formulas are set up correctly, then formulas get copied into the newly inserted row.

I would like to see the following option available when you right-click on a row number WITHOUT using Excel Tables:

Insert > And Copy Formulas

Inserting would behave normally (including copying formatting), but in terms of cell contents, only formulas would be copied, not other text.

A few options are available via the paintbrush after…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Issue a clear/complete answer online as to how to add a text box to an Excel CHART

Issue an Excel help page that explicitly states:

"Open file. Click on chart > select Chart Tools FORMAT (menu at top) > click on the Insert Shapes TEXT BOX > locate pointer where intended, expand as required > type text as desired > click on any cell outside of the chart to enter. The entry can be moved and/or edited afterward."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Issue a clear/complete answer online as to how to add a text box to an Excel CHART

Issue an Excel help page that explicitly states:

"Open file. Click on chart > select Chart Tools FORMAT (menu at top) > click on the Insert Shapes TEXT BOX > locate pointer where intended, expand as required > type text as desired > click on any cell outside of the chart to enter. The entry can be moved and/or edited afterward."

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Momentarily turn off calculation before 'paste values' to avoid unwanted volatile recalcs

Desktop, Office 2016: volatile cells are recalculated before 'paste values' is executed. This leads to unexpected and unpredictable results; I'd like to propose that Excel turn off calculations while pasting values to avoid changing values

I use random values sometimes to generate sets of fake data, but I might re-generate it several times until I get a data pattern that matches the training lesson material (like a fairly normal curve, vs a binomial distribution of random values)

Deeper explanation: open a new sheet, and in any cell enter =rand(). Look at the value. Copy the cell, then paste value back…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Turn off error checking at a workbook level

The little green triangles really make some worksheets look unattractive. I have worksheets where the cells contain formulae but are not protected because I WANT the user to be able to change them. I can get rid of the green triangles on a case by case basis, but when the user changes the formula, they come back. I don;t want to turn error checking off at the Application level.

There should be the option to turn each of the classes of error checking on or off at least at the Workbook level or better at Worksheet level.

And, yes I…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ignore merged cells when selecting columns/rows

When selecting more columns (similar with rows), the selection expands when it hits merged cells. I percieve merged cells more like a visual thing than performance, so this behavior is more drawback than something I would benefit from.
    When selecting the merged cell directly, it makes perfect sense, that selection expands to capture this cell. Otherwise, not so much.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. deselect

deselect is not working in the excel for mac 16.16.5 version it was working year back but after upgrade it stopped working

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please disable copy box locking clipboard

When I copy a cell from the worksheet, the cell remains highlighted and locks the clipboard so I cant copy/paste something from another application until i de-select the box. This is terrible.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY?

HEY FUCKFACES- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/20324245-may-2017-update-which-keeps-the-copied-item-active

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Allow Excel move or copy and paste cells when RemotePC by IDrive is running in background

If RemotePC by IDrive is running in the background, Excel does not allow cells to be moved or pasted without having to first note the pop up error. When the acknowledgement is made about the error, the data is accepted.

Needless to say, this is very frustrating because it slows things down as it adds extra unnecessary steps.

Please resolve.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Undo & Redo drop down list

In Undo and Redo drop down list , it is better to divide the list of operations based on each tab. So that we come to know some operations have been done on other tab/worksheet & we don't want to undo them

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Finding Special Character

"To find a Special Character" For example in excel file i have around 50k data. in few cells some special characters are included like "250#, 560^, 648*". need to remove this special characters. i will remove by using find and replace option. if we know the special characters we can use these option. if we don't know what are the special characters are added. i think we have check manually and have to remove. is there any function or formulas to find special characters in excel if not. if excel team added this features it will be better to user…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. DisableCopyUnusedCustomStyles Not working when Excel running in separate instance

Here is a link to an issue i opened in Excel Power users.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/710c7bae-eb24-4bf5-93dc-ceb453678a76/disablecopyunusedcustomstyles-not-working?forum=excel

Basically, when you copy a single cell from a workbook that contains x number of custom styles, all of the styles copy into the other workbook. All of them.

there is a registry entry called DisableCopyUnusedCustomStyles that can be added to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\excel\xx.0\Options that will prevent this behavior....but only when running in the same EXE instance.

But running in separate EXE instances and doing a copy of a cell from a workbook with many custom styles, into a brand new workbook copies all of the style. We…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base