Feedback by UserVoice

Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)

Welcome to the Excel for Windows (Desktop Application) feedback forum! This is the place for users to send us suggestions and ideas on how to improve. If you think you have found a bug, please send us feedback in-app instead! To do so, please click “File”, then “Feedback”, then “Send a Frown” in Excel. This way, we will get detailed information that will help us better diagnose the problem.

To help us build the best version of Excel ever, we have partnered with UserVoice, a third-party service, to create this site to hear your suggestions and ideas for the next version of Excel. Your use of the portal and your submission is subject to the UserVoice Terms of Service & Privacy Policy, including the license terms. Please do not send any novel or patentable ideas, copyrighted materials, samples or demos for which you do not want to grant a license to Microsoft.

How can we improve Excel for Windows (Desktop Application)?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Make "Paste and Merge Conditional Formatting" the Default Paste Behavior

When using Paste or Insert Copied Cells, conditional formatting rules should be merged by default. The paste behavior is currently inconsistent. For example, if you copy/paste a single cell, then rules are merged, but if you copy/paste multiple cells, then rules can become fractured or split (meaning that duplicate rules are created for the newly pasted cells).

There is already a precedent set for using merged conditional formatting as the default paste behavior: Google Sheets has been working this way for a long time and it works well.

Fractured or Split CF rules can be a serious problem. Consider the…

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Multiple Currency options

Excel uses a default currency, based on your home location. It is a big hassle to find and change the symbol in a spread sheet where multiple currencies in play. It would be very useful if there was quick access to the most recent 5 or 6 currencies used.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ctrl+A to select all in formula bar

Allow selecting all the text with Ctrl+A in a cell, formula bar, or anywhere that cell references are edited (like Conditional Formatting, Named Ranges, Data Validation).

In addition, allow Ctrl+Backspace in the same places. Ctrl+arrow key already works to skip between words.

This was brought up last year and an MS rep incorrectly marked it "already supported" and closed it for voting. https://excel.uservoice.com/forums/304921-excel-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10555113-ctrl-a-just-like-any-other-win-app

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Make the default search criteria persist between Excel uses

How about you make the default search criteria persist between Excel uses (so that you can search by Value instead of by formula)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Insert multiple rows in excel

If I want to insert a row in excel sheet, I right click the row header menu to insert one row. Why not have option to say insert "n" number of rows.

It's a pain to insert multiple rows manually !

Please think about it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Allow "true" footnotes to be added into cells

Although comments serve as "pseudo footnotes" today in Excel, it is very cumbersome when there are many of them, and you have to enable the "Print Row and Column Headings" setting in order to know which comment belongs to which cell. Enabling this setting also makes the printout look too busy.

Instead, it would be extremely helpful if Excel would include the superscripted footnote number (1, 2, 3, etc.) right in the cell (regardless of the cell's Number format), and allow the footnotes to then be printed at the bottom of the page on which they occur, or all at…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Populate Shrink to fit function so that it can be added to custom ribbons

Populate Shrink to fit function so that it can be added to custom ribbons. this function is not currently available in the Customize Ribbon -> All Commands.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? T

HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? T

HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU FEEDBACK EVERY TIME I HAVE TO HIT ESCAPE WHILE WORKING FOR AWHILE. *********.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Need ability to allow only paste values in protected Excel without using macros or vba

Need ability to allow only paste values in excel without using vba i.e. in an .xlsx. This makes protected worksheet templates better.

We send protected templates to our suppliers who fill in invoice data and send back to us. The Excel template cannot have VBA code or macros to ensure that it passes through email systems. When we get back the template we use an inhouse VSTO addin to validate / push the data into our Accounting System. The data validations / conditional formatting built into the template get overwritten if the supplier does a normal paste. However if we…

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. New Excel parameter to force pasting values (prevent pasting format): it could be a range option or Table option or Sheet protect option.

Create a new Excel parameter to force pasting values (prevent pasting format):

3 options to be discussed, ordered by preference :

A/ a new Range format option (e.g. Format Cells => Protection tab => "Locked Format=Yes/No")

B/ a new Table option (ListObject in VBA), e.g "EnablePasteFormat Yes/No"

C/ A new option when protecting a sheet (e.g. "Allow all users of this worksheet to paste format into cells which are not locked")

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? T

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add Menu Option

Is it possible to add an option to the "Insert" function wherein the user can select the number of cells or columns they want to add? The user would float the cursor over "Insert" and a menu would pop up to the side allowing the user to select the number of cells or columns to be added. Does that make sense?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Splitting a single cell into sub-sections

Being able to split a single cell (not merged cells) into different sections that can be formatted differently within the single cell

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Swap Cell

Don't you hate it when you need to swap two rows but Excel makes you insert a blank row, and then one by one cut and paste the rows you wish to swap. You're not done yet - you now have to delete that extra row you inserted just two swap to other rows. A simple right click option, along with cut, copy, paste, can be 'swap'. Just highlight the two fields you wish to swap and ta-da its done.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Cell Lock

Make each individual cell password protectable.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? T

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. HEY IDIOTS- DID YOU FIX THE ******* "HIT ESCAPE EVERY ******* TIME YOU CUT AND PASTE IN EXCEL 365" CRAPWARE UPDATE FROM JUNE 2017 TODAY? T

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Opening two workbooks with same name

I have 2 workbooks, on different file paths. I could not open the 2nd one while the 1st was open because it said "Cannot open two workbooks with the same name...". This should not happen.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Editing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. revert to old excel version for copy paste

copy paste in upgraded EXCEL doesn't go away once i've pasted. i have to hit escape each time. Can you turn this off ?

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base